Home Forums Vacation and Travel you are all having a REALLY good influence on me

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  bandicoot 9 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

bandicoot

i am travelling on business in hong kong and korea for a couple of weeks.
    because i am on an uncluttering mission, i have been very deliberate about what has been purchased.
    i bought a set of headphones in hong kong and they gave me vouchers for hmv.
    so i went to hmv and traded in my vouchers for a cd of bizet, and a cd of spanish guitar.
    i could have gone NUTS in the hmv store (i live out in the countryside at home and don’t get to music stores very often at all, maybe once a year) and i just kept thinking about getting all the stuff home and unpacking it and storing it…..

ditto on the big fancy mall in causeway bay.
    i eyeballed all the glossy shiny glamorous desirable stuff and you know what? it all just looked like stuff. stuff that i had to carry. stuff that i had to clean, repair, dust, organise and then….UNCLUTTER!!!!
    so i decided to just skip all the steps in between and unclutter it before i even whipped out my credit card!
    instead, i took everyone out for a wonderful foot massage and thai food to follow.

because i arrived here with loads of equipment and raw materials that i’ll be using up over the course of my workshop demos in the next week….i will actually be coming home with ten kilos LESS luggage.
    can you believe it?
    i’m pretty amazed too!

Claycat

you are all having a REALLY good influence on me

Well done, bandicoot! Great restraint! Now I’m just so curious about what kind of workshops you are doing!

Congrats! That is such a good point to be at: The point where you don’t even want to bring the stuff into your home in the first place.

CareyOkie

Very nice! I love that you still treated yourself with the foot massage and dinner. My husband and I are really shifting into experience-based gifts instead of items. Make memories, not clutter! ๐Ÿ™‚

MsDasha

Great job!

If you are in Seoul, may I recommend Insadong-gil for souvenir shopping – they have great gold-tone laser cut bookmarks that make great souvenirs and take up very little space (in your luggage, in people’s homes)… I keep a small pile on my bookshelf ๐Ÿ™‚

nellieb

CareyOkie, “are really shifting into experience-based gifts instead of items”…perfect! I have almost persuaded the last of my friends that I prefer a good time with them rather than a gift!

bandicoot, great restraint! It’s such a great feeling to look at potential purchase items and then think, how nice, but not for me, too much clutter!

bandicoot

i wasn’t actually doing anything in hong kong apart from passing through and catching up with one of my favourite cousins and his lovely wife.
    i love hong kong….such incredible energy and vibrancy.
    i find it exhilarating for up to seven days….and then it kills me with exhaustion.
    AJ, how do you manage to live there? did you grow up there or are you an ex-pat?

in seoul and daegu, i am teaching “advanced soapmaking workshops” to a sell-out crowd of professional soapmakers and graduated aromatherapy students.
    i tell you, i am having an absolute blast!

today i bought some kimchee-flavoured toasted nori sheets and the most incredible strawberries i’ve ever tasted in my life….and still NO STUFF.
    i think the mind shift has finally happened!

but the real test for me is in feb and march: the street markets in thailand and the shops in bali….i am a complete SUCKAHHHHH for beautiful handicrafts and cute salespeople.
    i just have to keep telling myself : you have enough already.

thank you for the insadong-gil tip, ms dasha!
    i’ll go for a look only (NO SHOPPING, lol), if my schedule permits.

Claycat

It sounds wonderful, bandicoot! Nothing wrong with a few beautiful handicrafts. Craftspeople need to make a living, too. Many of the crafts are functional, such as your craft. Fortunately your craft is consumable! ๐Ÿ™‚

I have some wonderful boxes and baskets and pottery pieces that are all beautiful and useful, too!

Just do the one in/one out thing.

And, have a great time!

bandicoot

after several visits to hong kong over the years, i can well appreciate the extra burning need for a serene quiet calm oasis to come home to!
    if i lived there, an open spacious clean-lined simple home would be an absolute priority for me.
    ironical of course, because there is no thing you cannot BUY in hong kong! but the most expensive thing is….space!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.