Home Forums Challenges Yikes – is this the challenge to end all challenges?!?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  clutterbug22 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

sleepykitten

Lots of challenges this time of year…and I just stumbled up on this one: 2013 in 2013 – get rid of 2,013 items by the end of the year.

2013 in 2013

That’s a LOT of stuff. WAY more than ATAD. Might be do-able if you are just getting started. But we probably don’t even own 2,013 items (though we might – one of these days I really am going to count).

Still, I like that each month there will be checklists of areas where clutter is likely to lurk. For those of you who will miss the excitement of all the January challenges, it might be worth a look!

Sky

Yikes – is this the challenge to end all challenges?!?

I don’t have much to get rid of but I like the monthly checklists. I think I’m going to miss the Peter Walsh and January Home Cure when the month is over.

Meglet

I saw that on her site earlier – that’s a crazy lot of stuff to get rid of! If I had started counting when I started a few months ago, though, I bet I’d be halfway there. πŸ˜€

The checklists are nice for keeping up with things, though, even if you’re not doing the 2013 challenge.

clutterbug22

sleepykitten,

I think I could do this one! As I am still doing the ‘Fifty by Friday’ challenge that you started I have still got loads of stuff to get rid of (embarrassing to admit!) so I shall have to roughly work out how much I’ve got rid of this month and see how I get on. Shall have a good look at her website later.

bandicoot

i don’t have enough left to even consider this one!

badkitti

I suspect I’d be well on my way if I’d started earlier too – going to look at this πŸ™‚

sleepykitten

So far in 2013, I don’t think we have uncluttered anything substantial except for a pair of jeans and two jackets. (If I a challenge like this, I would *certainly* have to count things DH unclutters – I didn’t usually count DH clutter for 50 by Friday, etc., but he was getting rid of stuff alongside me.)

Besides that, everything that has left has been junk mail, pantry foods, digital – all of which is important to keep up with, but none of which would really “count” for a challenge like this.

I’ve never kept a year-long tally of uncluttered items. Maybe I should this year just for curiosity’s sake. I know I wouldn’t come close to 2,013 – as I said, I don’t think I have that many things TOTAL – but I am a bit curious to know how many things I could reasonably unclutter in a year given that I am starting from a fairly uncluttered state.

I may or may not count my 2013 items in total, but for now, the grand total is 3 outs.

I don’t think there have been any ins – though I saw a tea pot on a conference trip that I resisted, and now I really wish I’d bought. I’m considering tracking it down somehow, but that seems silly.

@clutterbug – if you did a 50 by Friday for most weeks, you would get there! πŸ™‚

This is way too much for me, too — although I’ve certainly rid myself of that much over the past year or two. I found fifty by Friday — about the same level — pushed me to get rid of stuff just to make the numbers, and my decision making suffered. I will consult the checklists, though. You never know!

chacha1

I’m quite sure I’ve passed 2013 items since I first started the Great Purge. Don’t think I would get there this year with what I have left, though. πŸ™‚ Only if I could get my hands on DH’s stuff, LOL.

Swede

I’m sure I got rid of that much last year… Not sure I have enough left to do it this year as well. I’ve never been a fan of counting my things but I’m sort of intrigued to see for example how many clothes I have. It’s hard to visualize what 2013 things look like. I guesstimated I had about 100-150 books but turns out I have close to 300. Might do a quick count today in the closet today. πŸ˜›

Xiro

I am selling off a lot of things and when looked at a per item level I imagine that could be hundreds, 2013 is a lot of items, I really do not count things, either I want it, need it or not.

sleepykitten

Despite the fact there is no way I could find 2013 things to get rid of this year, I think I’ll use this thread to keep count of the annual tally. Just for the heck of it.

IN: 2
    OUT: 11
    NET OUT: 9

liag

I am in the same spot as many of you are: although when I blitz-purged before/after moving I probably got rid of, I’m guessing, maybe ONE thousand things–depending on how you group them it could possibly be stretched to TWO–there is no way I still have that many items to get rid of unless I count grains of rice I toss after keeping them in the fridge too long. Anyway, counting is tedious after a point. Hey–I’m trying to be LESS neurotic here, not more!

clutterbug22

sleepykitten,

As I am sure that I could get rid of this amount of stuff this year (hangs head in shame!) I’ll do a rough tally of the ’50 by Friday’ stuff that I’ve got rid of this year and post it in the next day or two. Doing it in sets of 50 makes things quite easy to count as well without getting hung up on the ‘counting thing’.
    See ya later!

liag

If you don’t feel like counting, why do it? You feel your uncluttering improvements: that is enough. The numbers are somewhat irrelevant. If your routine functions smoothly and you feel happy in your home and not hostage within walls of too much thing-containment– :o)– who counts?!

sleepykitten

Yes – NO ONE should feel pressure to count just because I personally feel like counting. You all have to understand that I get a real kick out of quantifying things – it is fun for me, because I am a bit crazy. πŸ™‚ When I first started uncluttering, I didn’t want to count, because I knew the numbers would be so large that it would almost be upsetting how much stuff I had that I didn’t need. So I didn’t count at all.

I feel like doing it now because I am curious how much stuff I will find that can “go” in a house that is fairly uncluttered, and anyone is welcome to join me, but @liag is right that it doesn’t MATTER.

sleepykitten

Also, I realized I hadn’t been counting DH’s ins and outs in my list, and I meant to.

IN: 6
    OUT: 30
    NET OUT: 24

chacha1

I like to count, too, sleepykitten – but only so I can check myself. As with the DVD challenge: I have slots for 400 in the jukebox, so that’s how many I want to get the collection down to. Books – I have a certain amount of linear feet, and I don’t want it ALL occupied by books. So quantifying does, at some level, have value.

Think my head would explode, though, if I tried to go back and figure out just how much stuff I have uncluttered over the past three years. Yikes.

Parsifal

I guess I’m just not patient, but today I decided to divest myself of FIVE things a day for the rest of the year, or until I’m happy with my new home.

It’s amazing to me that I found so much I just HAD to hold onto when I went back to clean out my old apartment, when last week I never expected to see any of that stuff again, and was totally fine with that.

I suppose it’s different when you’re faced with the prospect of paying to have truckloads (literally, 3-4 U-hauls) of stuff hauled away. I ended up bringing about 50% of it back with me, had 40% carted off for charity and am still throwing out the rest.

One of my goals for the year is to find homes for most of the stuff I felt compelled to keep, mainly books and clothing. It should be easy going for the first few months since I can just donate old sweaters and jackets as the spring arrives. Next, I plan to donate a few hundred pounds of books to thrift shops and libraries. After that, I’m sure the choices will be more difficult.

adragon

While there’s no way I can get rid of 2,013 things in 2013 (don’t own that many), I do want this to be the Year of Massive Simplification. The Move of Doom and placelessness and uncertainty about the future have made me realize that while I never had anywhere near hoarding-level Stuff Issues, I have way too much and want to get rid of a lot of it.

So my personal goal will be to get rid of 1/3 to 1/2 of the Stuff by the anniversary of the Move. I made an obsessive spreadsheet for keeping track of things during the Move, so I’ll be working with numbers. This is physical stuff only, my overfull hard drive will have to wait for another challenge.

Start: approx. 1300 items
    Goal: approx. 650-850 items
    Things that count: clothing, books, art/craft supplies, my own artwork, bath and personal-care products (I overbuy these), cleaning products (ditto).
    Things that don’t: food, tea, junk mail etc that should be immediately tossed.

Out today: 60 things (mentioned in Fifty by Friday). I’ll probably post progress in other threads (ATAD or 50) so as not to clutter the forum :).

sleepykitten

@adragon – As someone itching to count my stuff, I am very intrigued that you actually know how many things you have!

adragon

@sleepykitten I have some OCD tendencies and making lists is my go-to organizing tool for everything. It was all *incredibly* useful for the three months I was sleeping on three couches with stuff at two houses – at least I could find things!

clutterbug22

Did a quick count from the ’50 by Friday’ challenge from Jan 1st and the total seems to be about 246 items so far.

sleepykitten

@adragon – I am also a big fan of lists, so I think its great. And, yes, when your stuff is spread out, you definitely need to know what is at which house!

clutterbug22

27 extra items to add=273 so far.

clutterbug22

50 more items to add, mostly books = 323

oh crikey, I have NO IDEA how much stuff I own! I inventoried my two previous house moves, but didn’t count anything except numbers of boxes/contents and pieces of furniture. Hmm…

clutterbug22

50 more items to add,
    total = 373

Mostly newsletter type magazines, some used toiletries from toiletry stash, small freebie type toys.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.