Home Forums Technology Would you use an online app that helped you deal with your clutter?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Zora 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

clutterzen

Hello everyone

I have this idea for a clutter-management system, as a software.
    Pardon me if I don’t disclose more at this time about the functionality.

Please tell me if you would be interested in a solution that allowed you to visually parse your clutter on the computer screen–enabling shared parsing via the internet.

If I get enough positive feedback on this, I might fight to get it done.
    Personally, I would love to have such a resource, but can’t program well enough.
    But I know it can be done, and as a fairly big clutterer, I know it would help me.

Would it help you?

Zora

Would you use an online app that helped you deal with your clutter?

That would be a time-consuming distraction, UNLESS the objects came already internet-enabled (as spimes). See Charlie Stross’ blog entry for today, re spimes.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2012/10/rising-spimes.html

sleepykitten

I am curious as to what exactly such a system would look like, because I can’t quite picture what you mean…but I don’t think I would use it. As Zora said, it would likely be a distraction.

There are already ways (Flickr, etc.) to share photos with friends and get feedback on what might be able to be gotten rid of. And there are already different programs that help with home inventories, etc.

I suppose I could see value in a program that where you could take a photo of a cluttered space, and then the program could recognize objects and tell you which objects in the room were selling on eBay or something to motivate you to get rid of them…but I don’t sell things on eBay, so I still wouldn’t use it! Some people might.

Jackthetiger

I do not think I would use such an app. The main point is to do the work to identify the items that are surplus and get rid of them! Anything that complicates this kind of gets in the way.

Astreja
    Participant

I couldn’t use such an app — It would take me online, where I’d get caught in a labyrinth of websites and lose precious hours of uncluttering time.

Mostly I just grab and toss, anyway — Not much to plan.

sleepykitten

I am starting to think that clutterzen was “spam light” and won’t necessarily return – but I am glad this thread is staying alive because I am curious what an “anti-clutter app” would be.

@Anita, I think your idea makes sense in terms of getting “reminders” when things weren’t used. Or maybe it would send you a photo each day asking you to rate how useful and how beautiful you think an item you own is. After a couple months of data collection, it could start suggesting items that you didn’t love or use quite so much.

Again, I probably wouldn’t use an anti-clutter app. But it is an interesting theoretical puzzle to solve.

sleepykitten

Wait! I just thought of an app I would actually use that would be dead simple to build!

You know all the different questions you ask to see if something is clutter (Do I love it? Would I pack it if I were moving overseas? So on, so forth…)?

What about an app where all it did was randomly display one of those questions – so that when you were having trouble deciding about an item, you could push a button on your phone and get a helpful question. I think why this would be useful to me is that, if I am already stressing about a piece of clutter, I don’t have the mental capacity to think clearly about the questions I should be asking.

At any rate, I should build that app, charge 99 cents for it, and become a millionaire…. 🙂

Swede

@sleepykitten – Don’t forget your friends here at the forum once you’re rich! 😉

djk

heh…the Declutter Magic 8 Ball…awesomeness

bandicoot

you could have a special emergency option on it too.
    when really stuck, click on the emergency button, and a gif of my face appears and i am saying : toss it already.

sleepykitten

@bandicoot – ha! that would be awesome!

I am overwhelmed with projects as it is, but I actually really want to build this thing – the idea is free for the taking for anyone reading the forums, of course. And I can’t guarantee I’ll make the time. But I’m putting it on my “someday/maybe” to do list for sure!

Zora

This is relevant: the Internet of Things. If everything you own is connected to the net, you can find it, organize it, communicate with it.

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/438327/contiki_an_operating_system_internet_things_/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.