Home Forums Living Spaces Kitchen Which all-purpose wine glasses to buy?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Connie ReTEK Connie ReTEK 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

So my old mismatched set of wine glasses are broken, and I want to buy some new ones. Which shape or size would be appropriate for most drinks? I see so many different ones in the stores and have no clue. I know that there are different types of glasses for different drinks, so could you suggest something that would be appropriate for most?
    We drink mostly wines and Sekt (sparkling wine), when we are alone we just take regular water glasses but I’d like to have something nicer for when guests come over.

Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

Which all-purpose wine glasses to buy?

we have two sets of glasses.
    bormioli michelangelo champagne flutes and large white wine glasses.
    they are lovely simple glasses and we have used them for more than fifteen years….we periodically break one and they are easy to replace.
    for everything else we use tall water glasses from IKEA in that classic cafe shape that everyone makes. again, easily replaceable.

Profile photo of TatiLie
    TatiLie

I would recommend having sets only of the drinks you use most. And get the most plain you can find.

At home we have a set of flutes for Champagne and red wine glasses (minus one glass). We have a couple of white wine glasses (it was a set long time ago) that we rarely use. My boss gave me a set of decorated wine glasses that had one broken during transport, so another broken set. As I don’t usually drink, and my husband has a glass with dinner every night, we don’t worry much about having sets. It will eventually break and the fact that it’s already from a broken set will make me less upset when it may happen or worried on handling them. I probably have the same kind of water glass of bandicoot. We use them to drink everything else: water, beer, smoothies, milkshake.

One thing important though is that they have a good size to fit your shelves. My decorated ones are too tall and must be stored in the wardrobe.

Profile photo of whyawhelk
    whyawhelk

I agree with TatiLie on the last point, buy short ones. While elegant, slender champagne flutes may seem like a nice idea at the time, realising that the shelf they live on needs to be 4 inches higher than all the rest of the glasses that live on it, is kind of annoying. I currently have a set of really chunky Jamie Oliver glasses, both red and white, which have really thick, stubby stems, making the white wine/champagne glasses only about the same height as a standard red wine glass would normally be, which suits me fine.

Profile photo of Joless
    Joless

We have far too many glasses – large red wine, small red wine, white wine, port, several sets of champagne, whiskey-size tumblers, shot glasses, pint glasses, highballs etc. We mostly use the large red wine glasses and the pint/highball size on a regular basis. The rest are from when we entertained on a regular basis. Our large red wine glasses were bought in a French hypermarket many years ago for very little money and they are our favourites. I dislike small wine glasses. We should probably pare down the rest but we have the space to store them and if we want to use champagne glasses, it’s usually a party and we need lots! Same with port glasses.

Make sure they fit into the dishwasher too if you want to put them in, some are very tall or won’t balance properly!

Profile photo of gailbon
    gailbon

Even though tall-stemmed glasses are beautiful, I would pick a shorter-stemmed glass. If you like to entertain, you have probably noticed that the bigger the glass, the harder they fall. Also, if budget/storage problems are an issue, I would get an all-purpose set, like a 10 oz. wine glass. You can use it for white wine, red wine, mixed drinks, water, etc. However, you definitely need a champagne flute for any sparkling wines/champagnes.

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

Shorter stem, tulip-shaped bowl. A very round bowl will not hold the “nose” as well. πŸ™‚ A tulip-shaped bowl will accommodate all varieties of wine quite nicely … also, these tend to not be made quite as LARGE as some other shapes.

I’ve found it easier to moderate my drinking by using smaller glasses, just as I’ve transitioned to smaller plates.

And by all means get glasses that are dishwasher-safe. I am a veteran wine drinker and have noticed no ill effects, on my beverages, from using cheap, solid glassware vs. fine crystal. πŸ™‚

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk
    bandicoot

ahhh nina, you are a mind-reader!
    i was coming back into this thread to mention stemless glasses!
    those look perfect. and why not use them as water glasses as well.
    perhaps in a few years i could transition to those, when we have smashed our way through another set!

Profile photo of irishbell
    irishbell

I like to use a shorter, thicker juice glass for wine.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

We use glasses very similar to those pictured, but they were very cheap. (Libby, 2 sizes, from Penney’s–$22 for 16). We like that they are wider at the bottom and have stability. Wine-drinking friends never complain.They last forever.

Profile photo of sleepykitten
    sleepykitten

ninakk beat me to it – I was going to say stemless!

We have three types of liquid-holding items in our home:

1) Ceramic coffee mugs – these are mismatched and semi-sentimental (from various vacations, jobs, etc.)

2) Plain “pint-glass” style water/milk/juice glasses. I don’t really know what to call these – I don’t think they hold a full pint, but they look very similar to the no-frills pint glasses at a pub

3) Our “fancy drink” glasses, which are very similar to the stemless wine glasses that @ninakk linked to. However, *technically* our “fancy drink” glasses are not wine glasses at all. We drink cocktails just as often as we drink wine, and we also noticed that more and more restaurants were serving wine in any old thing, so we chose “Old Fashioned” glasses that look very similar to wine glasses. I don’t think they are around anymore, but they are very, very similar to these (and in fact, I might even like these a smidge better):

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/public-glasses/f47410

Profile photo of gailbon
    gailbon

As a part-time job, I work for a catering company, and have noticed that mismatched glassware for drinks is all the rage right now. Some people even use old jelly jars and Irish coffee mugs! I don’t know how well this would go over at a formal, sit-down type event, but it is a great idea for a cocktail party or backyard barbecue.

bandicoot

sleepykitten, the c&b stemless are gorgeous too!
    this really is looking like a good option, but i can wait until it happens naturally.
    it might take ten years and that’s ok.

Profile photo of paisley
    paisley

Years ago, my MIL suggested inexpensive wine glasses. She said that they get broken and the “breaker” usually feels quite bad. I didn’t listen, bought fragile glasses and found that it was me who felt bad that I didn’t have enough matching glasses. Those glasses have been replaced (by MIL) with short stemmed wine glasses that can double as attractive water glasses. Love them. And love my MIL, who never said another word about it, just had the glasses delivered after a visit!

Profile photo of lucy1965
    lucy1965

Oh, darn you, wee Nina, I do not need more glassware! Although as our bandicoot said, if it happens through attrition they would be a perfect multipurpose solution, as we simply don’t drink enough to need separate stemware.

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

We used to go through stemware pretty fast. Then we replaced the low-hanging kitchen faucet with a high one and our breakage rate went waaaaaay down. We have so much stemware, though, that I really don’t think we’ll ever need to buy another glass. πŸ™‚ Unless we start throwing much wilder parties.

bandicoot

throwing wilder parties is really the only good option!

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

LOL I think you’re right!

Profile photo of TatiLie
    TatiLie

I love ninakk glasses! Pity I have no intention of buying anytime soon but I will consider the wilder parties.

Profile photo of vjb
    vjb

But- but- Won’t white wine get warm in those stemless glasses, from your hands? That’s what I always wonder.

Maybe I don’t drink my wine fast enough! I must need to attend some of these wilder parties everyone is throwing. πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

vjb, while the glasses I linked to look nice, I wouldn’t purchase them myself. Even when pouring to the widest point only of the glass, where its belly is the widest (where it should end for maximum aroma experience anyway), it still warms up pretty quickly. In my household, the size of the current glass is large enough to last for a while and there’s nothing nastier when it comes to drinkable wine than ill-tempered liquid. I can live with ill-aired, because that I can still fix when circling the wine in the glass, but too warm is nasty.

Profile photo of sleepykitten
    sleepykitten

The stemless wine/cocktail glasses I have seem to do just fine for me in terms of temperature. Of course, I am not particularly expert about wine. And usually we have wine with a meal, where we can set the glass down on the table. We aren’t the “standing up party” type.

Profile photo of s
    s

I second the motion on stemless glasses, and use them for wine, juice, plant milk, water, whatever! Pretty and functional and less likely to fall over.

Profile photo of vjb
    vjb

@ninakk – thanks, that’s good to know! Now I can strike the stemless glasses off my mental ‘could be good to get one day’ list. I love wine, and loathe ‘ill-tempered’ glassfuls (great word!).

Profile photo of s
    s

I just hold the stemless glasses closer to the rim than the bowl. Works for me.

Profile photo of steavehussey
    steavehussey

I have got a couple which has word “Flourance” marked in it. I didn’t bought them, I have got these as a gift. So Please check if you can find something similar around. they are really cool and I am trying to make out that who has gifted these to me. I am desperate to say thanks to him or her.

Profile photo of Alexandria Friedman
    Alexandria Friedman
    Participant

So this is more of a ‘fun’ suggestion, but hear me out. I tend not to be much of a wine drinker myself, and generally when I am it’s just cheap sangrias out on the porch, so my husband bought me these from Bed Bath & Beyond and they’re perfect for leaving out on the porch or drinking outside so you know they won’t shatter: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/stackable-vino-wine-glasses-set-of-2/3259457?skuId=43235995&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_winebar_&adpos=1o2&creative=43742615989&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=43235995&gclid=COSL0MiJ584CFZKHaQod5poCJQ

Profile photo of Connie ReTEK
    Connie ReTEK
    Participant

Woo I am a true wine lover πŸ˜›

I spend a lot of money on a different wine glass and have a pretty good collection like elephant wine glasses, frog wine glasses etc.

But generally, I opt for Riedel wine glasses. Most importantly these glasses really do not impact the temperature of the wine.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.