Home Forums Welcome Hello! What Type Of Childhood Items Do You Keep

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      Xiro

I am sure this is around here somewhere however since I cannot do a search I figure it does not really matter.

What type of items from your childhood have you kept?

I have my first baby toy as a major one, and basically most of the toys from a young age until the last of my toy days are still around, some have a little value and I am thinking of selling, mostly stuff I got when I was getting older and they were fun at the time however no strong ties are really with the items and it is a entire container of just toys, a lot of actions figures and the like. In some ways if I really wanted these items to collect (I really do not collect such things) I would like them new, I played with my toys, some look used some are fine, depends on the toy.

Not every toy has some profound memory directed at it. So there are quite a few items I can let go of.

syrabrooke

What Type Of Childhood Items Do You Keep

I have kept my childhood t-shirt and a teddy bear that was given to me by my mother.

Larousse

In the way of toys, I have kept 3 teddy bears, my main one which was handmade for me from real fur off-cuts by neighbours who worked in a fur outfitters, and 2 of his friends, and Mrs Bunny, a rabbit-shaped rag doll (looks hand made too but I don’t know if it was). Lots of other toys that just got binned or sent to the charity shop.
      Apart from that, I have kept a strange brown tin with a leatherette seat lid, which was known as “the box-curb”, I think it was meant to store the tools for the coal fire (brush, shovel etc); when we cleared out my parents’ house I just felt I couldn’t let it go in the bin. I use it as a storage box for other memorabilia, photos etc. I have the copper kettle that my parents kept on the hearth, a battered tin tray with kittens on that was always used for breakfast in bed or scrambled egg lunches if we were ill, some decorative china ornaments from my mum’s china cabinet and the little musical box.
      I also kept my favourite dress from when I was 4 years old, royal blue with white polka dots. AND – just last week I took the scissors to it and cut out some patchworks squares for a memory quilt I have started!!! It will include other special material of dresses I loved in my early 20s, and some of my mum’s summer dresses.
      And I have my dad’s antique manual typewriter in a carry-case, which was the machine on which I learned to type when I was 17.
      I think, in view of my inherited hoarding tendencies, that I was quite restrained when I brought things back from my parents’house! I might be able to ditch the box-curb box one day, but not at the moment.

smith

After reading this thread I now miss being a kid. You don’t have to worry about anything, you just play, play and play. The one thing that I have kept from my childhood is the toy car. I had it when I was 5yrs old.

chacha1

I don’t have any childhood toys or memorabilia except for the “Baby Book” that someone gave my Mom. It’s just a tiny hardcover with an ink print of my foot, some basic data, and a couple of notes. We are not a very nostalgic family, I guess.

Although I do still hold a grudge about Mom decluttering my Steiff lion toy when I left for grad school. Should have taken it with me!

Ella

About a dozen favorite books
      3 drawings I did in kindergarten
      My Baby Book, which I cherish because it has connections to my father who died when I was 23 months old, and I don’t remember him.

OnARoll

Not much. I packed up my childhood treasures into 1 box when the family home was sold in my late teens, and some idiot put it in the garage sale pile. 4 years later I moved cross-country and had my ‘new’ treasures in a little strongbox in a moving van, and it got stolen.

I’ve survived fine without that stuff, the Instamatic photos from camp are what I really miss.

You might want to consider having somebody take some fun pictures of you with your various toys and collections, back up the photos so they’ll never get lost, and pass the stuff on to somebody who can really use it.

bandicoot

i still have a few things:
      a lambswool jacket and booties handknitted for me, and i wore them home from the hospital.
      a baby bracelet.
      thirty or so favourite books.
      four animal toys.
      i go through phases of toss this stuff, but it is all clean and tidy and my toys are on the bookshelf where they make me smile.

Netleigh

No toys, a couple of books and my first ballet shoes from when I was two. All outgrown toys were passed down to my younger cousins.

TatiLie

I kept nothing. Maybe a couple of baby earrings and a bracelet somewhere.
      Being highly allergic helps decluttering. I had to throw away my stuffed dog Dupi.He was eaten my moths. I was 22 when I open a box and found him in that state.

Ella

Oh no, poor Dupi!

Like chacha1, my mother threw away my little dog Sniggle. I was 7 and so crushed I couldn’t even speak about it until I was an adult. To her credit, she atoned by buying me another when I finally told her at age 20… but… it wasn’t Sniggle. *stifled sob*

Sky

I have a my baby bracelet from the hospital, 2 stuffed teddy bears, a stuffed cat, a few dolls, 2 party dresses, my first blue jeans (size 6 months), some school papers, a scrapbook, baby book, tiny leather gloves, silver barrettes my Dad brought me from Japan and my prom dress. My granddaughters play with the toys.

I sold my other dolls on ebay along with other doll related items that were to fragile for my granddaughters to enjoy.

I also have my Mom’s baby dresses and a pair of shoes. They are so delicate and I want to frame them in a shadowbox to preserve them.

Alice11

I have my baby doll (received my first Christmas, slept with for years, my favorite toy) and all my American Girl stuff. I played with a bunch of my mom’s dolls as a child and LOVED doing that, so I want to have the ability to share my toys with a daughter. I think I still have some baby toys that I don’t have an emotional attachment to but my mom does, she wouldn’t let me get rid of them. I donated most of my toys.

I also have a few boxes of books from my childhood that I plan to save to share with any children I have. Again, I have always read a lot of books that were originally my mom’s or even my grandmothers’ and I like doing that.

Everything is stored at my parents’ house in the storage area in their basement. They have the extra space and they offered.

pkilmain

I have lots of old photos (a someday scanning project, currently in acid-free photo books), all of my old report cards, and a fruit bowl that was my grandmother’s. DH still has his teddy bear, but don’t tell him I told you. πŸ™‚

Jackthetiger

I have one book that I had as a child; it had belonged to my mother and my uncle. It is called “Bran the Bronzesmith” and I still read it every few years for old times sake.

I have a tiny koala that my grandfather brought back from a holiday in Sydney.

That’s all folks!

djk

It’s 3:50 am and I’m sleepless in Vienna (caffeine, a morning friend, and evening fiend)

I can’t think of a single thing from my childhood except for a photo album my mom made for me. I think there might be a report card or two stuck in there.

Even as a child I found dolls creepy (fake babies? WHY?) so although I had some which were gifts, I had no interest in keeping them. I also found/find stuffed animals a bit of an odd thing to have, although as an adult I got a beautiful Teddy bear and kept that for a few years before passing it on.

lucy1965

*grins at ataylor’s quote*

pkilmain, I won’t tell if you won’t tell anyone that DH still has his Curious George and Paddington Bear. *beams* (And hardback copies of their collected stories, though we excused that as purchases for DS when he was small.)

I have a china doll that my mother gave me as a kit when I was 11 (anyone else remember the Yield House catalogs?) and a teddy bear from my grandmother.

Ella

I have my mother’s charming delicate little chainmail purse from the 1920s when she was 8 years old, and I have a photo of her holding that purse. So precious. I keep my hospital baby bracelet inside, blue beads with my name spelled out. Also inside are two black&white photobooth pictures of my mother and father when they were first married, what a beautiful young couple. Oh dear I am getting teary while writing this.

arthelemis

I have a plastic bin with my keepsake:

– 3 stuffed animals
      – 1 wooden toy handmade by my grandfather
      – red and silver cookie tin with a small bag of marble, an handmade pendant from daycamp, my favorites toys cars (5),a vintage world map travel puzzle
      – graduation books
      – karate medals (12) and karate belt with my name written in Japanese on it.
      – another tin with postcards and letter’s I’ve received.
      – various baby items
      – and the complete collection of Enesco Growing Up Birthday Girls (started by my grandparent on my mother side and my grandfather was alive to give me the last one, he died a couple of month after)

And some art that was made by my grandmother for me when I was a kid. I keep a small frame in my bedroom, and the rest are in the hallway because my bedroom in tiny.

xhan
      Participant

I have 3 memory boxes (which I need to go through again to clear space) but I’ve kept a few things from my foster parents and Katy, a plush siamese cat.

I still have toys to go through in the loft but my cousins daughters are getting to the age where they might like a few of the things. (most are junk though!)

I’m keeping lots of books though πŸ™‚ The ones I didn’t keep went to an amazing bookstore in Penn.

Larousse

I kept quite a lot of my favourite Enid Blyton books for my children, but now they are of an age to be able to read them, I re-read them myself and was appalled at the snobbish tone all the way through! So off to recycling with them.

lucy1965

@Larousse: I’ve been having that reaction to my reread of Dorothy Sayers’ “Lord Peter” books: the offhanded racism, classism and anti-Semitism is requiring a lot more noseholding than I remembered, and I’m glad I didn’t pay more than $3 each for them, now.

Sorry for the thread drift, all! Are a majority of commenters counting family photos? I have a few of those and am making copies for DS.

chacha1

I wasn’t counting photos or books. πŸ™‚ Y’all know how I am about books! I have several that were childhood treasures of my own, and a few that were Dad’s and Mom’s.

Love the STNG quote. πŸ™‚

pkilmain

Lucy, when DH and I first got together, we lived in NH, about a mile down the road from Yield House! I used to shop their sales all the time. πŸ™‚

lucy1965

@pkilmain, my mom loved those catalogs, even if the furniture was out of the household budget. My doll’s one of the Betsy Rosses; she sits proudly on top of the bureau in our bedroom

djk

Will I be evicted forcibly from the forum with Strong Words and a Boot to the Backside if I admit to never having seen one movie or show with the word Trek in it?

bandicoot

*small quiet voice* djk, me neither.

djk

Lol, ataylor!

(pulls bandicoot off to the side, out of harm’s way)

Sky

I’m with djk and bandicoot….no Trek for me either.

Ella

I, too, am Trekless and imperfect and proud of it. πŸ˜›

Jackthetiger

No Trekking here and no Star Wars either.

The only Sci Fi I liked was Aliens.

Xiro

“””Will I be evicted forcibly from the forum with Strong Words and a Boot to the Backside if I admit to never having seen one movie or show with the word Trek in it?”””

*Falls over*

Of course I like it no more or less then a lot of other programs, oddly enough I have seen all series from 1987 to current, some more then once while I have not really seen the original series, just so goofy I have never gotten around to it.

ataylor

Likely to fit in with saying people do not feel the need to have more and more stuff, on these shows anything they require is at their finger tips to be created or even a holodeck.

Rosa

I am having the best experience right now: all this baby stuff from my childhood that my mom saved and gave to me, now that my son’s not a baby and she has a house again, I’ve been trying to give it back.

And she doesn’t want it. Which totally absolves me of having to keep it, too.

lucy1965

I go away for the weekend and we start talking about post-scarcity society as portrayed in the Star Trek series! Why do the fun conversations happen when I’m not here? *mock pout*

Like any form of technology, people interacted with it differently: Picard’s parents — and his brother’s family after them — didn’t have replicators in the family home in La Barre; Will Riker liked to cook from scratch, fish, and play trombone; Data paints . . . .

And sometimes you just want to say “Tea: Earl Grey, hot”, get your caffeine fix and get back to what you were doing. πŸ™‚

IMO, in a culture where material needs (and most wants) can be met easily for everyone, what becomes precious is the handmade, or things with personal/family/cultural associations: Ben Sisko’s baseball, the meditation lamp in Tuvok’s quarters, Nyota Uhura’s jewelry. I always saw the scarcity of personal items in most people’s quarters as similar to the selective packing my friends on TDY did: “I’m going away for a while for work, I don’t need all my stuff.”

lucy1965

@Laetitia: “temporary duty assignment”; means you’re away from your regular living space for a few weeks/months, so you and the rest of the family don’t need to pack up and move. At the time of the First Gulf War I lived just down the road from a US Air Force base and knew a couple stationed there, so some of the jargon stuck.

gailbon

I have a book called Andersen’s Fairy Tales that was given to my mother from her grandmother. It is a gorgeous book, and I remember reading it as a child, and will still pick it up every once in a while and look through it.

Rosa

Well, I just grabbed a box from the attic. I thought I knew what was in it, and was going to donate it…but it was my bronzed baby shoes (or maybe my brothers, who can tell at this point?) and some glass animals our grandparents bought us when we were kids. They used to go to Mexico every winter and bring us back blown glass animals and chiclets. THankfully my mom never saved the chiclets.

I don’t have a lot of surfaces in my house, i’ve been eliminating them as clutter-attractors, but there was some space on the TV cabinet (since we finally got the christmas put away!). Now there are glass animals on it. I don’t really know what to do with the baby shoes. I will show them to my son and let them sit by the clock for a few weeks and then decide.

It’s kind of nice to remember that my mom saved all these things from our babyhoods because she valued (values) us so much. On the other hand I’m not sure I need the actual shoes.

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.