Home Forums Technology What to do with non-working computer?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  maco 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

ninz

I’ve got a gaming computer that I built about 4 years ago hanging around in my closet. The motherboard is shot, but the rest of the parts should be in working order. Also, the case is a Lian-Li, and was quite expensive at the time. I can’t really sell the computer as-is, since it’s not working, but I think it would be hard to sell just the parts as well. I just don’t want it in my life anymore, but would like to at least get a little money back if I can. Any ideas? It is stressing me out having it waste space in my closet for the last few years.

Ella

What to do with non-working computer?

Why can’t you sell it “as is” and fully disclose what works and what doesn’t?
    Let someone else harvest the parts, and be rid of it.

Emilie

Selling it as-is would be a good idea, if it’s not a huge hassle for you. Otherwise, I’d give it to someplace that recycles electronics. The Goodwill in my area takes all computers, working or not, and they refurbish what they can.

Astreja
    Participant

I’d go with the as-is and concentrate on the case as the selling point. Gamers are perennially upgrading motherboards and video cards, and buying power supplies capable of driving the new MB and video. A well-built case, though, can last several generations of rebuilds.

My daughter is a gamer, and the last time I did an upgrade for her we pretty much stripped out the innards but kept the case and a hard drive or two.

RC7502

I found a place near my house that not only recycles old electronics but they will also pay you for them. It’s not much money but better for the environment than throwing it out. I got about $6 for an old motherboard, and about $12 total for everything I took in.

In your situation I would recycle the non working components but use ebay or something for the case if it was so expensive and still works.

Rosa

If there’s a FreeGeek near you, they would take it and be happy.

pkilmain

Ninz – we’ve all had to go through the “but it’s worth money” routine. The money you spent for that computer is spent. you presumably used it for a good part of those 4 years. YOu have two choices. Donate/recycle it the way it is (good options for this above), or spend your time (which is worth something) trying to get a small amount back. I’d probably do one pass at selling it “as-is” and then if that fails, donate/recycle. I would not spend time parting it out…. Just my thoughts.

poodle

Best Buy will recycle old electronics. There’s a section on their website listing what they accept and don’t accept.

Nina

If you want to try and get some money back I would just try to sell it as is – but put a low starting price so you will get rid of it. Even if the components were once worth something – don’t forget that computers get old fast and 4 years is quite some time.

As others have said – the money is all ready spent and hopefully I used the computer at some point so it once served its purpose. You might not get a lot or any money for it but I personally find that the joy of getting something I no longer use or love out of the house has it’s own value that you can’t measure with money.

What I learned from personal experience is that when you do have a computer (or computer parts) that you don’t use anymore it’s worth trying to sell it as soon as possible as the price drops the older it is – even when not in use.

poodle

When I was cleaning out my den closet, I found a gallon size ziploc bag full of old cell phones and chargers. I have a friend who works at AT&T, so I emailed her about what I can do with them, or where I can bring them. She said that every AT&T store has a box that you can drop your old phones off in. They return them to factory settings (removing contacts, pics, text messages, etc..) and donate them to soldiers overseas.

ninz

Thanks everybody! I was thinking about it, and yeah, it’s really not the worry to think about how much money was originally spent on it. That was several years ago, and any money I could get for it now is just a bonus. I’m going to sell it as-is and getting any money for it will be a bonus 🙂

Ella

Way to go, ninz. I bet you’ll find that the real bonus will be getting it out of your house and off your mind.

Irulan

Is there a university nearby? You’d probably have decent luck selling it to CS or other engineering students. They’re always happy to cannibalize computers.

maco

Good Will takes old computers and sells them for parts.

BraveHeel

I’d 2nd the Goodwill comment.

bloom

Call up Goodwill in your area and see if they take computers. Goodwill runs ComputerWorks stores where they will sell both refurbished computers and computer parts.

maco

(wow this is an old thread. apparently i already posted)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.