Home Forums Vacation and Travel What to do with Camping Supplies

This topic contains 21 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Sky 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

jsights

I have a lot of camping supplies in the storage closet at my apartment. I used to camp several times a year. I haven’t done so in 2 years now, and with my new boyfriend’s insane work schedule, I don’t see it happening anytime in the foreseeable future. I hate keeping this stuff that, but also don’t like the idea of getting rid of in in case we do get time to go camping. I’d hate to by it all over again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could do with this? Like I said, it’s in a storage closet,so it’s not taking up inside space that I need. The only issue is whenever I move again, and just knowing it’s there but not used. I appreciate any thoughts on this stuff.

Jen

lumpster82

What to do with Camping Supplies

You should sell it. Camping gear is probably right at the top of the list of stuff that you think you “need” but only use once a year, or not at all. The good news is that since your situation is so common, you probably already know someone who has camping gear as well. So if you ever do go again, you can put the word out and borrow what you need.

Alternately, outdoor stores like REI and Eastern Mountain Sports have rental programs.

jsights

Thanks lumpster! I had no idea there were rental programs for camping equipment. That will make me feel much better about getting rid of the stuff.

EraserGirl

poll your friends…..heck ask friends of friends… friends with HOUSES and storage..offer to give it to them if you can use it when you need it.

ExpatTX

I would say keep it. I have gear for snow skiing and scuba diving – both things I do once or twice a year at best (I haven’t been scuba diving in three years). Equipment for these activities is very expensive and usually has a pretty long life span. If the rental option is cost effective, that is a great idea too. Perhaps you could keep the small stuff that doesn’t take much space and rent your tent, and other larger items when the opportunity arises. I rent my skis, but have my own boots and clothing for instance. I guess it depends on how much keeping the stuff is really bothering you.

jsights

Thankfully I don’t live in a disaster prone area, so it won’t be necessary for that. I have the smaller stuff in rubbermaid tubs, so I’ll start by going through those to pitch what I can (my ex was a high maintenance camper, so he bought a lot of stuff that isn’t really necessary for camping.)

I’ll probably end up holding on to stuff until at least the next time I move, whenever that is. Then if I still haven’t used it by the, I’ll sell it.

hellogillian

I agree with Lilliane … I would keep some of the stuff that could be useful if you were without power or heat for a few days. I never thought it would happen, but last December due to ice storms in New England, we were without power for 4 days. I was so thankful that we had sleeping bags and propane lanterns and such!

juliarose

I cut back to bare-minimum stuff (tent, sleeping bag, flashlight, frying pan, utility knife, bare-bones utensils, a few other little things) and keep it all in one large plastic tote. This was good because when I went camping I just had had the one to load up and I was just about ready to go.
    Like you, I lived in apartments.

When I had to move I packed more stuff into that tote and loaded it into the truck. Then I just unpacked the non-camping stuff and put the tote in it’s final spot in the new home.

However, when I moved to Alaska (drove in from Haines), I moved most of my camping gear into the cab. I agree with Lilliane, it’s good to have during disasters. I figured it would also be good to have accessible if I got stuck in a snow storm.

Jackthetiger

Keep the basic necessities, but ditch the gadgetry. Camping should be about enjoying the simple life, not carrying everything with you.

sdevjkt

I agree with the others – keep at least your sleeping bag, tent and lantern. I’ve been going through our camping gear recently in the garage and our 5 sleeping bags take up a LOT of shelf space, even though I rolled them up as tightly as I could. Those Space Bags worked on our winter quilts & clothes, so I’m going to see if I can get some big enough for each sleeping bag. Hopefully, they make them large enough.

Before DH and I married I used to camp A LOT — several times a month, for the most part, including being the leader of a HS-age girl scout troop. He had never camped before and after one so-so trip (he kept longingly looking at hotels we passed) I consigned camping to my past life.

The gear was stored in our garage — the mice ate one of the sleeping bags and the tent rotted, as did the straps to the backpacks. I would recommend that if the gear is mostly in storage that you pull it out at least once a year, inspect it, air it, etc.

pkilmain

We are fortunate enough to have an outbuilding storage shed. It holds our camping gear, luggage, winter boots and coats (in the summer!), as well as our garden tools, chain saw, and a few other miscellaneous items. We can of course only store things that can survive Alaskan winter temperatures (down to -20C). Since it’s mainly in DH’s charge, it’s well organized and pretty well free of clutter. 🙂 Still we declutter our boxes of small stuff – cooking utensils, dishes, shelf-stable foods, etc. – every time we use them. Because we have the room, we got 2 large barrels from a local commercial bakery (years ago, not sure we could now) that are made of some sort of fibrous stuff rather than metal. The bakery got flour in them. They are perfect for holding down sleeping bags and jackets. Down is better stored loose than rolled tightly. Our non-down sleeping bags are rolled tightly and on the shelves along with the tent and backpacks.

We don’t do as much camping as we used to, but we go at least 3-4 times a summer, and DH uses the stuff when he goes fishing overnight as well. Is that a camping trip where you fish? or a fishing trip where you camp? Hmmmmm.

sdevjkt

Bought a 3 pack of XL space bags cheap yesterday and used them on 3 of the sleeping bags hogging shelf space in the garage. They shrank down a lot and all three fit stacked on top of each other. They’re not down, so I guess it’s okay to store them this way. If you decide to keep just one sleeping bag, it wouldn’t take up much room in one of these.

JulieK

I ask myself this question on a near daily basis. We live in a teeny tiny apartment but my husband rock climbs multiple times and week and camps regularly enough that owning our gear is necessary. I’ve reached the point that I’m considering a very small storage unit because we just don’t have enough space to put everything away. Is it clutter if it is used but has no home?

Netleigh

sdevjkt,
    I’d still be hesitant of using space bags on synthetic sleeping bags, they will compress the fibres and if the fibres are ‘down simulators’ with holes built in they may have reduced warmth holding after being squashed.

sdevjkt

uh-oh. I never thought of that, actually I didn’t know there were bags w/ down simulators. I’d better take another look. I just know they’re Coleman bags w/some type of poly fiberfill. Thanks for the advice.

irishbell

JulieK-I wouldn’t call it clutter even though it may look like clutter to you. is there some kind of small-ish storage thing you could put it in or is it too big for that? does your apt building have a lockable storage area for the renters? how about something on your patio or deck area if you have one of those areas?

Netleigh

sdevjkt,
    It was Hollofil and Quallofil fibre filled sleeping bags that we were advised not to store squashed because it would damage the loft of the fibres.

JulieK

irishbell-We have some things in rubbermaid bins in our landlord’s garage (we live behind his home) but the things that don’t fit or are used multiple times a week are my pesky items. My husband’s crash pad, which he uses for rock climbing is an example. It doesn’t fold up small enough to fit under the bed, behind the couch, or in a closet, and it gets pretty dusty outdoors.

I’ll keep brainstorming as I don’t want to get a storage unit but I think it might be an okay solution because lack of storage for outdoor equipment is the only thing we don’t like about our teeny-tiny, super cheap apartment. So in our case the cost of rent + a storage unit would still be MUCH cheaper than a larger apartment.

Any other input appreciated!

About the sleeping bags- my husband and I have down sleeping bags and he is always sure to take them out of the small sack they’re stored in a week before really cold trips so they can fully fluff up. I guess the theory is that lots of the warmth is due to hot air trapping in the space between the down. He swears it makes a difference and I’m too scared of being cold so I don’t want to test it.

Sky

An often overlooked storage space is up, near the ceiling. Especially if your ceilings are high. I’ve never used them but I’ve seen pulleys that hang a bike at ceiling level. We have a shelf over our garage door for seldom used things that we want to keep.
    Just a thought….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.