Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets What to do with barely used bras.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  smithem 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Ethiope

I bought some nice bras about a year ago, wore them a few times and then started a program to lose weight. I’ve lost 40 pounds and counting (yeaaa!) and these barely used bras no longer fit. I HATE just throwing something away, but I’m thinking no one would want to buy someone’s used bras from a thrift shop, Goodwill, etc. Anybody have any suggestions for what to do with them, or will I just have to bite the bullet and throw them in the trash.

Demerna

What to do with barely used bras.

Thrift stores do not keep sections of items that do not sell. I have yet to enter a goodwill/salvation army/other thrift store that doesn’t have an underwear/bra/lingerie section.

luxcat

you could also call a local battered women’s shelter and explain how gently used these items are and ask them for ideas perhaps?

Anonymous

The Goodwill has a bra section. Donate away, the need is very great for these items since they are so expensive.

A local senior citizen’s group once adopted an elementary school that needed bras donated for some of the mothers. I don’t know how they broached that subject but I admire the cause. Something as simple as that could mean the difference in a job interview.

Congratualtions on your weight loss. I think all of the above, womens shelter, goodwill as another deb mentioned it could make all the differenc ein a job interview.

Ethiope

Ok, great! I’ll take them to Goodwill. I didn’t know they take them, so thanks for the info!

badkitti

http://www.breasttalk.co.uk/bra-appeal/

They go to homeless women here – maybe there is an equivalent in other countries?

Rozzie

Thrift stores! By all means.

lottielot

we have bra banks at our local tip, they have a bank for almost everything!

Lounger

Badkitti – Thank you for the link. I remember reading about this (or similar) scheme and hadn’t got around to looking it up. A couple of mine will be posted off this week.

pammyfay

The “Bra-Mask”! It could save your life!

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/dpgo_Bra_Mask_Elena_Bodnar_fc_200910301256924639569

bobbinalong

I’ve bought bras from thrift stores. My daughter and I have reused them to make Barbie clothes. They’re pretty, stretchy, and come with elastic and hooks. Perfect!

There’s also a bra purse, not sure where I saw it, perhaps the Craftster forums.

Azbralady

I am so glad to see people talking about bra recycling. There is such a need out there in shelters and transitional housing. There is also a need in organizations that support women who have had breast cancer. We, The Bra Recyclers support 24 organizations about the country with recycled bras, 2 of them support survivors of breast cancer.

I encourage everyone to spread the word about this simple lingerie staple that can mean so much to a women or girls in transition. We ship bras around the world and also here in the US. We encourage you to donate to your local shelters or you can mail them to us and we will make sure they get the women in need.

Our website is: http://www.brarecycling.com

Have a Bravolous Day!

ElFish1

These posts helped me too. On Saturday when I was helping my best friend clean out her closet I would have told her to throw the used bras away if I hadn’t read that they were needed. Hers were in great shape, just not the right fit for her.

pammyfay

There was recently an ad in the Washington Post, placed by a bra shop, that they were collecting gently used bras (in return the donor would get a shop discount) for I think a homeless-women’s group. For the OP or others, check the Yellow Pages for shops near you to see if they do such things. Sometimes we really do forget that the homeless need the real basics of life, esp if they’ve fled abusive relationships in a hurry.

andReuse01

If gently used donating them would be a good way to go…I collect gently used bra’s because the material can be reused for a variety of things (creating doll clothing, small pillows from padded ones ect, and the materials can vary from bra to bra too. If anyone is ever needing to get rid of old bras, I can always find a use for them or give to friends for them to find use from.

celesul

Donate (if a common size). If you are a hard to find size, you can probably sell them on ebay. (I have to buy mine online, and nice bras in really hard to find sizes can sell for a bit, even if lightly used).

smithem

http://freethegirls.org/donate/give-bras/

This is an organization that gives the bras to former sex slaves in Africa to sell – they end up making more than minimum wage and it gives them the opportunity to work with other women.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.