Home Forums Living Spaces Bedrooms What sorts of things do you use to organize?

This topic contains 34 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  evie007 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Alice11

I’m interested in hearing what sorts of things people use to organize their items, especially if you repurpose items or buy new ones.

My underwear and sock drawers, for example, are currently neatly organized by baskets (taken from my parents’ house), shoe boxes, and tissue boxes. I don’t see the need and don’t really have the funds to buy organizing items for those spaces, but I know some people prefer them or need them for their space. What do you use?

Lounger

What sorts of things do you use to organize?

I have these http://www.johnlewis.com/230554576/Product.aspx in two drawers, one for socks, scarves and gloves, and the other for undies. I love them because you canalways see exactly what you’ve got and the drawers never get messy. I keep unwrapped scented soaps in a couple of spare compartments, so I get a lovely waft of scent in the morning.

Ella

Alice: Like you, I use baskets. They are infinitely adaptable to a myriad of uses. They add warm tones to my home, as well as the pleasing feeling that human hands created them.

I refuse to contribute to the manufacture of more molded plastic in this world.

Swaps

I would love to use baskets when we own house in future…using plastic ziplocks (don’t like them but they are only option for now in terms of saving space, costs, transportation) to organize jewellery, cosmetics, other small items like hairbands etc.

loripax

Like Ella, I’m trying to get away from plastic as much as I can, although there are some things (like the drawer inserts for my bathroom drawers) that just seem to work best in plastic since they get so messy so often.

Otherwise, I use mugs, bowls, glass dishes, lidded glass refrigerator boxes, metal and wicker baskets, wood trays, shallow copper dishes made to go under plants, holiday card boxes, bamboo drawer dividers, etc., etc., etc. Thrift stores always seem to have a ton of little rectangular glass and ceramic dishes that tuck neatly into drawers.

I also use larger containers to corral smaller ones. For example, here on my desk is a pretty metal basket I got at at the import store. It holds two mugs (one for pens; the other for scissors, nail file, box cutter, six-inch ruler, my vitamin box, a bottle of hand cream, a small glass dish with paperclips, and the remote for my iPod dock (which is across the room) β€” stuff I use nearly every day and need to keep at hand).

ninakk

Kassett Ikea boxes of the cd and dvd sizes are my favourite right now. Would like Ordning&Reda but they are slightly too expensive for my budget. I hate plastic storage too. A great choice is to weed out the crap before choosing storage and suddenly one needs a lot fewer containers! And as a bonus, Kassett comes with lids; easy cleaning too.

Eta:
    too too too too too too.

Swede

I feel weird now. Hehe. I use:
    – A tin chocolate box from my trip to Amsterdam for my office supplies.
    – Three large wax canvas bags for my books (as I am moving soon I don’t want to put up a book case).
    – Air tight glass jars for food storage ([i]after 2+ years in Australia I’m still paranoid about bugs).
    – A fabric bread bin for my socks.
    – Two pretty boxes for sentimental items + my diaries.
    – A fabric cube to hold all my photo albums (I think it was meant for storage of toys in a kids room
    ).
    – A small wooden box for all my jewellery (they used to be stored separately but now I keep a fabric pouch for all my rings and keep some necklaces in small zip locks to keep them from tangling, but everything else just thrown in the same box. Looks pretty imho.[/i])
    – Two tin jars (?) that my grandma gave me as a kid for all my pens and random other bits like my insence holder etc.
    – One of these: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/00193386/ to hold my shoes, scarves and swimwear.
    – One of these for all my clothes: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/60219595/ (but mine is black and white). It is awesome because the pouches on the side hold stuff like my sunglasses, envelopes with receipts that need to be kept for warranty, belts etc and the straps at the top hold chunky jewellery and medals (half marathons etc).
    – Fishing gear box for my crafty stuff.
    – Beautiful black satin box for all my fabrics.
    – Two DVD-boxes in the Kassett-type. One for my Nintendo games and one for all my letters + duplicate photos + 2 sentimental casette tapes.
    – A fabric cube in the bathroom that holds spare toiletries, travel gear, cleaning supplies, hoover bags, extra mop heads, curling iron and other misc stuff like that.

That’s pretty much ALL the storage solutions I use. πŸ™‚ I had a lot more but after decluttering this year most of them left my house. Plastic was the first to go!

djk

My organizing drug of choice: baskets, heavy paper boxes, and glass jars.
    I also use plastic honeycomb dividers (http://www.dhgate.com/honeycomb-drawer-divider-organizer-save-room/p-ff8080812b29849e012b33d3fa322f4a.html) in our socks and underwear baskets to keep everything tidy and visible at a glance.

I have used muffin tins in drawers to separate office supplies like paperclips etc.

dianejerry

i use my llb–n boat tote as my *toy” box of sorts. it stays in one spot and holds my knitting, kindle, exercise dvd, snack bars, vits and pills etc. one of my better purchases!

pkilmain

I use baskets on shelves in my linen closet, and one large one to hold sweatshirts/fleece on my closet shelf. Also have baskets in my office to hold CDs, cards, notecards, and pieces of my current quilting project (that’s in the sewing room, of coures).

I also use heavy home-decor style cardboard boxes to hold (1)my camera related stuff and (2)extra cables.

Rest of the stuff is a mixture of plastic boxes/totes and larger baskets. Mostly this is sewing stuff and out of season or non-fitting clothing (needs a good sort someday soon).

All our travel stuff except toiletries gets stored in an unheated shed, smaller pieces inside of larger. DH keeps this shed organized, as much of what it contains is camping and gardening stuff, i.e. his domain. πŸ™‚ Years ago he somehow snagged 2 large cardboard barrels that once contained flour for a bakery. These are perfect for holding our winter down clothing as well as the down sleeping bags. (These should not be store compacted, so take up more room than expected)

Food storage is mixture of plastic, glass and metal storage.

Claycat

LOL! We eat a lot of Nyaker’s ginger snaps! Yum! So, I use those tins to organize stuff, especially my art supplies. I also use baskets. I don’t need anything for our clothing, because we have so little, but I also use tins for odds and ends in our top drawers.

Claycat

Shoe boxes are great, Alice, because they are so sturdy!

chacha1

Most of my organization is accomplished via furniture. Cabinets and chests and drawers, oh my.

Sky

I have several fabric covered sectioned boxes for socks, hose and other small items inside dresser drawers. A Tupperware sectioned box for my sewing supplies. All my art supplies are in a large basket. I use several glass bowls for my paperclips and misc. desk stuff (they were my Dad’s) and a mug for pencils and pens. Another Tupperware sectioned box in a bathroom drawer for makeup. DH has a small oval Corning ware dish in his bathroom drawer for nail clippers and small stuff. I use the plastic tops from hairspray in the medicine cabinet to hold little things. I love Click-Clack storage containers in my pantry and have handled plastic baskets for various items and stacking baskets for potatoes, onions, etc. I use the round plastic lids from coffee cans to put under oils and other condiments inside kitchen cabinets.

I try to use what I have instead of buying more storage bins and gradually want to replace plastic boxes. Pretty much everything else is stored in drawers, cabinets and closets.

luxcat

plastic spring loaded drawer dividers for socks/undies, I use placemats repurposed as drawer liners

hooks for handbags, scarves, bathrobe

shoes are on shelves in the closet

shoeboxes are repurposed to hold bathroom items under the sink (one for medical, one for body care, one for extras I am trying to use up) and a flat basket in a drawer to corral makeup items. repurposed pretty holiday card box for hair clips, bands, combs, also in drawer

mug for toothbrush, paste, floss stick

thumb tacks in wall to hold necklaces, large shell to hold bracelets, shallow dish (meant for dipping oil or similar but we never used it) to hold earrings

Fido jars in kitchen to hold staples like rice, pasta, lentils and sugar (flour is in the freezer, it gets bugs here

more plastic dividers for kitchenware and silverware. Square sealed glass jars to hold tea.

bucket in utility room to hold clean rags, I just dump out the rags when I need to use the bucket.

fabric boxes that fold up (they are held together with velcro) for sentimental items

plastic and cloth breathable-but-doesn’t-let-bugs-in bags for summer storage of blankets and feather duvets (dry cleaned before storage)

IKEA Kassett cardboard boxes for little bits of things like sewing materials, travel items. Similar type box but flat for photos and a handful of greeting cards and wedding cards (going to ditch the photo albums and instead put key photos in archival plastic sleeves and the rest can just be loose)

Alice11

Ella, my baskets are actually a mix of plastic and natural. They are all at least 15 years old and probably older, I uncluttered them from my parents’ storage area to use at my place. πŸ™‚

And yes Claycat, I love shoeboxes!

These are all so interesting!

djk

I also use labeled ziplocks quite a bit, certain items work really well for that. All of my nail-care/polishes fits into two small ziplocks tossed into a basket wirh my travel toiletries, which is on a high shelf in the bathroom. Towels are in a matching basket on the same shelf, as is another with all extra laundry supplies/stain removers, etc.

My jewelry storage is quite functional although I’d like to pretty it up a bit eventually: cut down egg cartons fit inside small hinge-lidded woven stacking baskets for jewelry (earrings either get dropped into a cavity if they’re studs, or poked into the high bits and dangle down into the cavity if they’re fishhooks), necklaces are hung from one of 2 boards I made from a mini whiteboard with sticky mini hooks, and a bulletin board (push pins). I use 2 straight vases which have a wide flat base to hold all my bangles.

I have a variety of small to large apothecary jars on shelves to hold all sorts of goodies, including sea glass and painted beach tile pieces from the Amalfi coast.

Over-door hooks are on every single door because we have to hang laundry from every available space
    I have a cutlery tray cut down to fit our small “junk” drawer in a little narrow buffet we have, which is our only pantry. That pantry has no closed space so the two shelves have wide shallow baskets where all of our food and some of our bakeware/casseroles lives. it’s highly unattractive, and it’s the first thing I see in the morning when I wake up, through the bed/sitting room door. That’s on a perpetual work-on-it list. DH loves open storage but to me it’s very cluttery-looking. I have extended this “pantry” on both ends: one end holds a butcher blockwith the tabletop oven on the top (these are not toaster ovens, they are about the size of a large microwave) and a large basket “drawer” on each shelf: one holds everything cat-related, and the other everything baking-related.
    On the other end of the buffet is a small/short bookcase with cooking oils/vinegars on top and our pots and pans on the two shelves below.
    Under the bed we’ve got a rolling storage bin on one side for wrapping papers and Christmas stuff, the other half of the bed has everything from a rolling bin with winter clothes to boxes of the landlady’s stuff, and extra glasses/mugs we don’t need every day.

Under-shelf wire racks are great in a bookcase, and the bookends which slide tightly onto a shelf keep all sorts of things orderly, not just books.

Sky

I forgot to say….I have stackable covered boxes in my office closet for phone, dog, computer, tax, laminator, gift bags and ribbon, cameras, and office supply things. Also, a basket for my old albums (mostly Beatles), and an upright magazine holder for maps and travel brochures that should be recycled since I have a GPS in my car and on my phone.

In cabinets over my washer and dryer, I have covered boxes for light bulbs, candles, batteries, extension cords and a few tools I like close by instead of having to go in the garage.

I have 2 suitcases and a carry-on and other travel related stuff stored inside each other under my guest room bed. I use empty tissue boxes to store plastic grocery bags and hang it on a small nail inside a closet.

I’m thinking of putting all my jewelry in a roll up cloth jewelry holder and giving my jewelry box to a granddaughter. It would take up less space.

niarankin

I’m a clutter junky… it’s a love/hate relationship. With limited time, I haven’t made any huge efforts to de-clutter.

But! I’ve recently purchased some baskets and have been moving the clutter into its proper basket as I notice it. I use round baskets for my bath supplies, hair products, and make up. Then I have square baskets for stray office supplies.

I put in an order to amazon recently for those awesome colored cubes that can be used on shelves to make the shelf look attractive and to hide my clutter inside.. ermm… organize my life.

I’ve started putting rice, beans, snacks, etc, into big jars and other containers to reduce the kitchen clutter. And may buy some dish racks to use rather than just stacking them. It really just depends on time and motivation.. I slack πŸ™

Another cool tool that I’ve recently started using is the “My Pair Tree”. I was given one at my office to sort of get a feel for the product, so that I have an easier time handling their social media. At first I was unimpressed, but soon I found myself moving random things taking up space on my desk over to the “My Pair Tree”…

Now it has sunglasses, a spare pair of glasses, I even hang my earrings on it when I get tired of wearing them. I like it so much at the office, that I plan on getting a few for my house.

Part of why I am on this forum is because of My Pair Tree. It was sort of a gateway item that opened me up to reducing my clutter.

Hopefully being a member here will help too. πŸ™‚

Swede

Welcome to the forum niarankin! The ATAD and FATAD-threads are great for newcomers… Also the 15 minutes vs the clutter monster. πŸ™‚

niarankin

Thanks Swede, I’ll check those threads out πŸ™‚

TatiLie

I use my old mug collection to store pencils, make up, cat treats.
    Also we used to get a lot of anchovies in a nice air-tight glass jar and we use them for storing spices, candies and everything else that comes in a plastic bag and need a good airtight storage, like soda bicarbonate, citric acid, cat vitamins (pity it’s been months we don’t find these anchovies in our supermarket anymore)
    Baskets on the top of our kitchen cabinets with the extra-stuff we need less than once a month (like Britta filters, gardening stuff, spares parts) and they are covered with the extra tea towels.
    We use suitcases keep things we would only use on holidays, like snorkelling gear.
    Specific documents are stored in old briefcases.
    An old bin holds the glass for taking to recycling.

bandicoot

i use big cane baskets as drawers in the kitchen and bathroom and laundry.
    my office has repurposed tins and bamboo boxes to corrall things.
    glass jars for food storage.
    an expedit for the books.
    elfa for the wardrobe and office.
    getting rid of stuff has made organising things so much easier/simpler/faster.

Buy only containers that fit in your cupboards or closets. Don’t buy big things you don’t have room for just because they are cheap. Let the stores do your storage for you.

Hanging things up can make a shared bathroom easier to live with. For example, you might add another towel rack or a toothbrush holder or a robe hook. You can even get special holders for hair dryers. Small buckets can hold cosmetics, combs and brushes.

Specific organizing tools I like: sock organizer, pencil organizer, wooden knife holder all fit in drawers. Buying new flour-sugar-coffee canisters that fit in my immobile kitchen shelves was worth the money. Mugs hold extra pencils, scissors, Sharpies. Small dish holds keys and small change overnight.

herisff

2 folding bookcases reside in my closet, holding clothing in stacks (my preferred method) – and since it takes 2 bookcases, I now realize that I have too many clothes!

The other bookcase organizes office supplies and equipment (and again, I have too much – will be thinning after I finish unpacking from a recent move). I dislike having too many baskets/containers around, as for me they become clutter magnets. One basket holds keys/pager/pedometer. Another holds mail-to-be-processed. A couple corral dog supplies. And I think that’s it. Rather than obtain more baskets, I would rather ditch stuff.

Claycat

Sky, I love your idea of using plastic coffee lids under oil bottles in the cupboards. That sure would prevent a lot of mess!

I have old Beatles Albums, too! They are well used, so they probably wouldn’t be worth much except to me! πŸ™‚

Meglet

I’m a big fan of over-the-door hooks, in varying numbers of hooks depending on the need. For drawers, I use the pre-cursor to the Ikea Skubb.

I also love baskets and bins that fit on my shelves. I have an Expedit that serves as pantry and kitchen overflow storage, and I filled the bottom two rows with the bins Ikea makes to fit them. I also use canvas bins from Home Depot (similar to the Closetmaid ones) that fit on my other bookshelves and under my desk. This way I can use open storage systems to keep my clutter habits in check, but still tuck away things like spare lightbulbs and cables.

For my bathroom items, I have small bins under the sink for spare shampoo, lotion, etc. I repurposed some unexpected kitchen items for counter storage – a small ramekin for q-tips, a dessert plate to corral eye shadow palettes, and an 8″ round Corning casserole dish that holds all of my toothpaste, lotion, hand soap, and other bottles and tubes.

Joless

I have some canvas type boxes from IKEA which are useful and when I ran out of those I used any small cardboard boxes I have around because they are in cupboards so not in full view and I can write on them. Slowly I am gathering like-with-like and putting whatever category it is into a box, once I have filtered out any unnecessary bits. .

lucy1965

After the Invasion of Mothra, I switched to Fido jars obtained at thrift stores for the kitchen; I have a 3l on order from the green general store on the corner, as I haven’t seen any lately — other people have caught on! Leftovers go into either Snapware’s oven-safe glass containers or a Working Glass with a lid on top (I still need to find someone with a stash of the 10 ounce lids willing to give them up!). Tea has been in several cute tins, but I’m tracking what teas we actually drink regularly and some of those may be headed for the consignment store.

Since all of my jewelry is silver except my wedding ring (and if I had that to do over I’d have gone for white gold or platinum instead), I’m looking at a Pacific Cloth-lined jewelry roll to cut down on time spent polishing it. Right now it’s divided between a glass box a friend sent me from Scotland — which will be reused for essential oil vials — and an olivewood salt keeper rescued from a seconds shop. Makeup fits in a small quilted travel bag; nail care tools in a plastic Snapware box.

Now that we have a Spotify account and all of our CDs are in the cloud, the discs themselves are in watertight storage bins on shelves in the cold storage: one water heater-related disaster was all it took to convince me that cardboard is not a good long-term storage solution. Physical computer software media is in large binders; I’m working toward doing something similar with our DVD collection, but DH isn’t open to it yet.

Out-of-season clothing/bedding is in Space Bags in the cedar closet (the bags containing down aren’t compressed).

elawoman

We are creative aren’t we?

Just last night I repurposed a vintage tea set (large saucer and teacup) on top of the bedroom vanity – the teacup holds hairpins and the large saucer is a holding/landing area for perfume bottles.

I also repurposed an ‘over the (cabinet) door’ towel bar I had in my former bachelor apartment. I placed it over the door of the vanity and hung my daughter’s collection of sunglasses. I didn’t realize how creative I was until last night!

jmhva

I am surprised no one has mentioned peg board to organize with! Its great for a closet or a garage and very inexpensive!

evie007

I love the use of baskets and have many I use with labels , plastic containers for small objects and also use plastic organizers from the dollar store.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.