Home Forums Welcome Hello! What I Said No To Today

This topic contains 37 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  ChiFlower 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

mdfloyd

This might be a good thread to start, or not. I am so proud of myself when I walk into a store and lust after various things, even put them in the basket, then think of decluttering and happily put the items back on the shelf.

Today I was at WalMart — the epicenter of all things clutter! I lusted mightily over a pair of earrings, a watch, a new summer blouse — and did not put any in the basket. There was a weak moment in the cashier line when I was faced with numerous candy bars, but I was strong. I did buy some new pajamas but they’ll be replacing some old worn-out ones.

What did you say No to today?

chacha1

What I Said No To Today

My willpower, apparently; I am sitting here eating a package of Pop-Tarts from the vending machine.

I did get off Etsy this morning after prepping a shipment WITHOUT browsing for anything. πŸ™‚

mdfloyd

What I Said No To Today

I’ve always found Etsy awfully hard to resist — congrats chacha1!

Katt

What I Said No To Today

A new set of sheets. I don’t need sheets, I have plenty. I just wanted new ones…and I just bought a new set two weeks ago. Sigh.

Thanks very much for starting this thread. I definitely need it!

ron

What I Said No To Today

did not go to the bookstore to put in a order, went to the library instead, the book was there – enough already by Peter Walsh, signed it out. Drove past dunkin donuts, Home Depot and the supermaket – that was tough, got home without spending a penny.

Jackthetiger

What I Said No To Today

A piece of simply beautiful Japanese cotton. It would have made a gorgeous dress for next Summer … or (more likely) have sat in my fabric box.

Rosa

What I Said No To Today

I don’t feel like I said no to much today, because we had a no-school day and I ended up overbooked with extra children that I hadn’t really planned on watching. Plus I went to the library and totally went over my “only 3 things of each kind” limit (I have a library fine problem I’m trying to fix again.)

But it actually didn’t feel too hectic at all, went very well. And I did actually say “no” a lot because I took my son & goddaughter to the zoo and they spent the first half hour wanting to buy snacks (we packed lunch) and things from the gift store. After that we went outdoors & saw the winter animals and avoided temptation.

Then we went to the grocery store, stayed exactly on list, remembered & used the coupons we cut out (now that my 8 year old can read, he goes through the circular for me and makes a quite hopeful pile of things we might buy, that I cull through before we go.)

Parsifal

What I Said No To Today

I didn’t say no to anything – spent $20 on lunch for just one person πŸ™

Ella

What I Said No To Today

I said No to Girl Scout cookies, even though the two little girls were so adorable.
    Minions of the devil, I told myself. πŸ˜‰

mdfloyd

What I Said No To Today

Today I went to the annual Kentucky Crafted Marketplace, which is where the best of the best of all manner of crafts are displayed and available for sale.

Scarves, hand woven fabrics, handmade and carved furniture, jewelry enough for an entire continent, metal works, paper crafts, photographs, paintings, on and on and on and on . . . .

And I said No to everything except a Kentucky silk pie and a box of bourbon balls — I can eat those so they don’t really count as stuff, right?

I admit I was sorely tested by a pair of parrot earrings, but they were $40 and I decided not to pay more than $30 for them.

Yea!!!

(Tonight I scanned and shredded enough to fill two bags — more yea!)

Zora

What I Said No To Today

I did not buy a Kingwin Lazer modular power supply on Amazon. My current PSU is not modular, has short cables, and only has one SATA cable. Someday …

glossta1

What I Said No To Today

What, MDloyd, (I have to ask) is a silk pie? I am so curious…

Rosa

What I Said No To Today

it’s a kind of chocolate cream pie. Sometimes they’re called “French Silk”.

Nina

What I Said No To Today

Glossta: I’d never heard of it before either – but remembered reading this not long ago. It does sound delicious… http://www.thekitchn.com/chocolate-recipe-french-silk-pie-recipes-from-the-kitchn-183575

glossta1

What I Said No To Today

Wow! Well, how do you say ‘no’ to that?! To be honest I half expected to be told it was a typo, and it was a silk tie that had been bought, but now I understand! It looks utterly irresistible.

glossta1

What I Said No To Today

Today I said no to going shopping. I had in mind that I would do more de-cluttering, but in fact I’ve wasted a lot of time in various ways, and have only just started. Now I have to make sure I make some serious headway to justify having stayed at home.

mdfloyd

What I Said No To Today

Kentucky Silk Pie is sort of kinda like French Silk Pie, but not quite. One thing that is very different is the crust; I have no idea what it is but I’ve never eaten one like it.

Here are some pictures from Google Images:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=kentucky+silk+pie&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Sax&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=j8YzUfSjMZGZqAHr9YG4Ag&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1091&bih=536

bandicoot

What I Said No To Today

in the last week, i have said no to a very expensive vintage griswold skillet and no to a *very nicely made but not 100% perfect for my needs* cast iron hanging pot rack.
    i am still debating other griwsolds, but i am not in any rush.

What I Said No To Today

I’m back from four days in Nashville — fantastic time — and said no to *everything*, despite mild pressure from BFF who was on a souvenir shopping frenzy and is firmly in the “been there, got the t-shirt” camp. She couldn’t understand how I could go to The Grand Ole Opry, or the Country Music Hall of Fame, or the Ernest Tubbs Record Store and not buy something. It was easy πŸ™‚

mdfloyd

What I Said No To Today

Four days in Nashville? You are one strong Unclutterer!

Katt

What I Said No To Today

@susanintexas, is this the friend who recently visited you? I’m imagining such a lovely dynamic between the two of you. You told us about visiting her in–California I think–and she didn’t have much in her pantry, although the counters were totally crowded.

Both of my dear friends are very good about keeping their spaces cleared and uncluttered. I’m the one who’s late to the uncluttering party!

Said no to buying more ebooks. Same struggle, just different format πŸ™‚

What I Said No To Today

mdfloyd: it helped that I am not a fan of country music.
    Katt: she’s in Maryland, and both the pantry and counters were overflowing, but still not a thing to eat. Go figure. We’ve been friends for more than 40 years and can’t really figure out why πŸ™‚

rutheverhart

What I Said No To Today

I bought a set of sheets for my DD’s bed, and also a pair of pillowcases. It turned out the set already had one pillowcase. I returned the package of pillowcases as “more” than I needed.

What I Said No To Today

I said no to keeping leftovers to reheat a second time tomorrow – although I don’t like food going to waste, they hadn’t reheated well once and that’s why there’s were some left this time! Binned, with no compunction.

arthelemis

What I Said No To Today

A set of 20 Staedtler fineliner, for my text revision class. I’ve already bought some extra fine rollerball in 4 colors for this purpose last week. And I’ve almost exhausted my supply of non refillable pens… but my mom offered to buy them ! Free pens! I’ve said no to free pens!

What did this forum did to me ?????

mdfloyd

What I Said No To Today

I went to Target this afternoon for some detergent. An hour later I left Target with ONLY detergent. It was not easy.

Ella

What I Said No To Today

mdfloyd: VERY impressive!

Ella

What I Said No To Today

I bustled past the young woman with a clipboard on the street corner, and said “No, thanks” without even knowing her cause. But I heard her ask the guy walking behind me: “Are you interested in animal welfare?” He replied: “Oh honey, my cat’s already on food stamps.”

Jackthetiger

Today I went shopping at my favourite fabric shop Tessuiti. http://www.tessuti.com.au/ It was full of gorgeousness from all over the planet, but I left it all there because I could not decide what pattern to make with the fabrics. I am no longer going to buy fabric unless it is for a particular project that is for the current season.

Astreja
    Participant

Successfully avoided bidding on any items at the silent auction at the band workshop I went to today. As a result, I do not now possess a chocolate fondue set, fancy candles, a scent-diffusing set with matching tea lights, or a plug-in, light-up painting of a forest scene. The liquor-filled chocolates had potential, but I can buy those anytime.

ChiFlower

The last time was last week, on a trip to the post office and bank I walked into The Body Shop. I love hand creams, especially those round tubs of it that they have there. Since I love lotions, needless to say I have a myriad of them at home that haven’t already been decluttered. I don’t need any, to be honest. Thankfully I just put some on my hands, smelled the lovely scent, and after a few minutes I walked out. No purchase was made. Phew.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.