Home Forums Living Spaces Bedrooms what do you keep in your nightstand?

This topic contains 60 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Mimi 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

I’m just curious. I’ve never really used them for much beyond a lamp and library book. But currently I’m using an antique washstand as a nightstand, so it’s become home for more stuffage – keepsakes, gift bags, nightly medications, notebook, pens… The only things that need to be there are things I use in bed – lamp and library book and prism glasses.

pkilmain

what do you keep in your nightstand?

I have a nightstand with a small drawer and a shelf at the bottom. The top holds books, usually several, a lamp and an alarm clock, plus my glasses while I’m sleeping. The drawer has small things like lip balm, hand lotion and tissues. The shelf has magazines and more books. It’s a place that needs constant attention or it’s piled high with things that need to go or at least to a more appropriate home. I try to sort it out every week, usually when I change the sheets. πŸ™‚

djk

We have glass étagères on either side of the bed, which hold books, our phones and DH has an alarm clock in addition (I use the alarm on my phone)
    My side holds our travel books, DVDs, and magazines, all in magazine files, with 2 shelves free for current books, lotion, and my phone. I have matching flexible clip reading lamps attached on either side. The top holds a glass bowl with potpourri. A gift. DH loves the smell, as do I, but dead plants creep me out. when the smell is gone, that will be tossed out.

DH’s side holds books, a pen cup (we do crosswords together in bed). There are 2 empty shelves on his Γ©tagΓ¨re. The top holds a round seagrass bowl with wrapped labeled cords in it for the printer, DVD player, etc.

We have a leather coaster on each side for a drink (bless you, Zara Home in Madrid, for matching our style!), and we’ve got tissue boxes on either side half of the year it seems!
    That’s it!

Anonymous

My nightstand is a twig table with one shelf. The shelf is piled with reading material. The top of the table has a lamp, alarm clock, a coaster for my water glass and the one thing I seem to need most often, a nail file. Once in awhile, I get into bed and find that I am bothered by a callus or rough nail. Instead of getting up, I just do a quick smoothing and am off to sleep.

Irulan

I have traditional pine nightstands that each have two drawers. Mine holds my sewing kit and a couple of throw blankets in the the drawers. On top is a faux gas lamp, a miniature boombox, and a small bottle of lotion.

My husband’s stand has our sheets in the drawers and his headphones on top.

Zora

The vibrator.

lucy1965

Mine is — a mess. It snuck up on me, but it’s really in a state and I should give it a good clean. I’ll report back after!

djk

Lol Zora!

lucy1965

How did I miss Zora’s post?!? *falls over laughing*

TatiLie

I don’t have much storage room so I use the only drawer of the nightstand to hold the hair band (I have only one, so I never lose it) and other hair accessories, lip balm, hand moisturiser, jewellery, sunglasses and mobile charger. On the top, just the lamp.

djk

Lucy–it’s especially hilarious if you read Zora’s post and yours as statement & response–the antecedent of “mine” and “it” is woefully unclear in your post. I just hate it when mine sneaks up on me.

irishbell

Newfound admiration for zora! (not that I didn’t already)

irishbell

Djk- omgness!!
    Filthy hilariosity!!
    I like the way your mind works!

Sky

Zora, too funny!!

On top of my nightstand I have a lamp, TV remote, radio/alarm clock, and two photos of my sons.

Top drawer, lotion, back scratcher, flashlight and a couple of things my sons made when they were little

Second drawer, Bibles

Third drawer, my gun (357) so don’t sneak up on me in the middle of the night!

arthelemis

djk – I just spent a good 10min laughing at your post!!! XD

On top of my nightstand I have my alarm clock, a box of tissue and eyeglasses holder. I have the bad habit of throwing my glasses on the floor when I sleep, so the holder prevent me from doing so. The drawer hold my spare eyeglasses, my good watch in it’s box, two empty box for some fancier pens I have, a Maglite, a small bowl of keys, a small jar of dragon & tiger balm and 3 travel-size bottles of fine, expensive and rare liquor one of my friend brought me from Europe (I need to hide them from the prying hand of my younger brother). The bottom shelf holds current reading material.

Sky

Just read Zora and Lucy’s post, I can’t stop laughing!!

smallLife

Zora = you are amazing πŸ™‚

My nightstand has one drawer and two shelves. Bottom shelf has the extra set of sheets, middle shelf is currently empty. The drawer holds a flashlight, PedEgg (for calluses on your feet – crucial in the summer), lotion, and I think a picture of my cat right now because I don’t know where else to put it. On top I have a lamp, cellphone, and book.

Oh my, Zora and Lucy—I can’t quit laughing. I have a 4ft bubble lamp on mine, hubby obviously grew up in the 70’s. We also sleep on a king size waterbed with 12 drawers underneath…anyone else here got/remember those?

tidygirl

Because of space constraints, I use a bookcase in lieu of a nightstand. The top shelf holds a lamp and my clock and a fat little sheep figurene.

The second shelf holds my phone, a small decorative container for my meds, then there is space for my Bible, my copy of ‘Steams in the Desert’ and a notebook.

It fits very well at the head of the bed and I like the way it looks.

ninakk

I don’t believe Zora is the only one. Really.

lucy1965

*bows modestly, tickles djk for her wonderfully dirty mind*

@momwalker, our previous bed was a king-sized waterbed without drawers; the current one has four drawers in the base. So we’re close?

Okay, nightstand is clean, finally — I’d heaped things on it and let myself get too wound up and distracted. It is an old butler’s tray on a folding stand, and now holds the following:

My Nook
    A basket which holds my eyeglasses case, my biteguard case, a tin of cuticle cream, a flashlight and my cellphone

DH has a TON of stuff on his, but as I’m not the one who cleans it, it’s not my problem! *grins*

ceduke

I don’t have a nightstand. Next to my bed is my dog’s toy box, so he can grab a toy and whack me with if it I don’t wake up early enough. πŸ™‚

Astreja
    Participant

I’m currently in between nightstands, because I gave away the microwave cart that sat beside my bed. I put the bed against a different wall and decided to get rid of the cart. In a few days I’m downsizing from a queen to a double mattress, and will have room for new nightstands on both sides of the bed.

On top of one of my bedroom storage units, I still have a drawer that used to sit on top of the cart. It contains one pair of glasses, my jewelry box. a necklace that I wear every day, and a bag of hand-carved runes.

My alarm clock, which used to be on the cart, is now on a bookshelf that cannot be reached from the bed. I also have a gooseneck lamp that also used to sit on top of the cart, but it’s unplugged and going into the giveaway box as it no longer suits the bedroom.

nws2002

Zora’s comment cracked me up. πŸ™‚

My nightstand is a simple one with a single large drawer at the bottom and a shelf. The drawer holds my Kindle and its charger along with my retainers/case. The shelf is usually empty, but sometimes has a book I’m reading on it. The top has a lamp, my cell phone dock/charger, and a bowl for my wallet/keys. The other side of the bed has a floor lamp.

sleepykitten

The only things that are supposed to be on mine are my lamp and alarm clock. However, like almost all horizontal surfaces in my home, things tend to pile up if I am not watchful.

Right now (just checked – so you get the “real” list and not the idealized one), there is some nail polish, the belt from my robe that somehow got separated from the robe, a headband, and some crumpled receipts that must have come from my pockets last night.

I just came back to check this thread since it’s bedtime and I’m again looking at my nightstand. The responses from Zora et al made me hoot with laughter πŸ™‚ Yes, that qualifies as a nightstand essential! Can you tell that my fiance lives 800 miles away and between visits I have to mentally block out that bed isn’t just for sleeping???

Forgot in the original post that additional stuffage on my nightstand is the muted cell phone and the cd alarm clock which plays Sing Sing Sing to me every morning πŸ™‚ It’s bulky but it’s proof that my fiance tries hard to meet my silliest desires (such as “I could be happy waking up to this tune EVERY morning for the rest of my life.”) 3 years later, it is still the most fabulous tune for me to wake up to πŸ™‚

Hansi

I don’t have a nightstand but I have a folding chair next to the bed instead of a nightstand.
    On my folding chair I have a pair of earplugs (since I work nights), an IPOD Shuffle with lots of podcasts on and an alarmclock. That is it.

Swede

I have two candle holders, a lamp, my sunglasses, an envelope full of torn up diary pages (I don’t own a shredder) that I’m gonna recycle, a book and… what Zora said. πŸ˜‰

lucy1965

. . . and Nina’s right, Zora’s far from the only one, but mine are in a repurposed software box in the drawer in the bed base. If I’m ever in a position to afford an upgrade to Lelo pieces, I’ll get a ToiBocks to hold them and put it on the dressing table. *grins*

luxcat

I got my antique (1940s) wood veneer nighstand for about $40 long ago. I love the details like the curved wood front and Bakelite drawer pull.

lamp, alarm clock, and bottle of water on top

eyeshade, earplugs (stored in old china teacup), bookmarks, tube of personal *ahem* lubrication (toys stored elsewhere), extra bulb for lamp, directions to alarm clock, small LED flashlight in small drawer

shelf below- large police-style flashlight, 2-3 books, box of tissue

ninakk

Uhuh. *nods wisely*

Swede

Well mine came in a pretty velvety box which is black (hot pink on the inside!) with a magnet clasp to keep it closed. It’s discrete enough to leave out. No one I know would start opening boxes at my house so it’s always left out on the nightstand. πŸ™‚

djk

this thread has me laughing…look what you started Zora! love it;)

Visiting Aunt Edna has never been so…uh…public…

bandicoot

it is a shaker-ish timber thing with shelf and drawer.
    currently on top: a vase of roses, a teapot, a tea glass, a couple of trivets, a chocolate bar.
    in the drawer: earplugs, eye shade, 3 types of liniment/muscle rub, a handkerchief, *personal items*.
    shelf: the book i am reading, the book i am reading next, a pair of wool bed socks.

Zora

Visiting Aunt Edna … is that what it’s called?

foilhead1

I have come to the realization that a night stand next to my bed is a breeding ground for clutter. So I just moved this week and decided to use the smallest table I have. I have to have room for my C-pap machine, a glass of water, phone and glasses. I do have meds, pens, lip balm, lotion etc. but I decided to purchase a over-the-door shoe holder with clear pouches for things. It is by Simply Stashed and I got a soft gold colored one to go with my decor. I will let you know how that turns out. I got it from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B6VVDQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d1_g201_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1C4PF46AB5DQ1D24JGKW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

JayEff

My nightstand is a small portable IKEA stool or chair that I move next to my bed before I go to sleep. I put an alarm clock, Nook, flashlight, something to blow my nose on, and eyeglasses on the nightstand.

pkilmain

LOL Zora, no worse than having Aunt Flo visit you as we said in high school “back in the day!”

susique

our nightstands are two small oak bookcases. his holds lamp, candle (!), candle lighter on top, his alarm, and figures he has made with his shopsmith. mine is lamp, candle (!), candle lighter, phone, alarm, jewelry box (beside the closet), magazines, and a pretty basket with lotion for hands and feet and a zora thingy, that what i call it now, my zora. sorry zora, but it is such a great name!

chacha1

We don’t have nightstands. Our bed is flanked by a couple of large bookcases, which (from the top) have three shelves behind glass doors, a pair of drawers, and then a solid-door cabinet with two more shelves.

We pull out a drawer at night to hold a cup of water. DH keeps the travel alarm clock in “his” drawer.

The contents of the drawers are general, not bedroom-specific. I’ve got a few folders of old 35mm photographs & negatives, a copy of our wedding video, and a “junk box” on my side and he has a big Maglite, luggage locks, and other such misc. on his side.

I feel like such an underachiever. πŸ™‚

Anonymous

Very entertaining posts, all. Just so you know, I used to keep my ‘Zoras’ in a pretty basket right next to the bed. Then I got border collies, and anything on the floor, (or too close to the edge of the kitchen counter) became a dog toy!

Extremely embarassing moments were averted by removing the Zoras to the nightstand drawer. And NOT teaching the clever little beasts how to pull the drawer open.

On top, lamp, alarm clock, coaster for tea, etc. Drawer one, lip balm, reading glasses, tissues, pens, note pad, squeezy ball for my gimpy hands, the odd paper clip or box cutter – stuff ends up there when I empty my pockets at night.

Drawer 2 holds some reading material.

Drawer 3 is the spot for the ashes of our wonderful dogs and cats, who brought us such joy. Just today we decided to take a bit of ashes from each container and mix them into just one ‘urn.’ I’ll scatter the rest of them on my walks with Agent Gibbs. That will free up that drawer quite a bit. It might be time to get another Zora!

Mimi

i donΒ΄t have a…

…nightstand πŸ™‚

bloom

My nightstands (which have both a drawer and an enclosed area) are the least cluttered spaces in my entire house. Go figure… I have a lamp on one and that’s it–nothing in the drawers.

irishbell

all of you who keep your zora’s in an easily accessible drawer, must not have kids.
    Or nosey ones anywho….lolol

We have 3 drawer nightstands on both sides of the bed.
    Pen, pencil, paper, stationary, nail files, lotion, tissues, flashlight, lint roller, ( to roll pet hair off the bed linen)
    dh’s snore strips, and on the top of the nightstand – Kindle, books, candles- boring essentials.
    Above the nightstands, wall mounted lamps.

pkilmain

LOL Irish! Our bed is set atop 2 long (6 ft) dressers, each with 9 drawers. My zoras are in the top drawer by the head of the bed. We have no children, the cats can’t open drawers, and I put them in our locked storage compartment when we have housesitters! πŸ™‚

ElFish1

I really never thought an Unclutter post could make me blush. Go, Zora!

ninakk

has the time come to tag the thread zora?

irishbell

Ninakk- make it so!

Netleigh

Wicked! Zora may suffer from her arthritis but knows how to enjoy life.

lucy1965

OMG, I’m offline for 24 hours and we’ve renamed them “zoras”?

*falls over laughing and laughing*

Zora

I’m both embarrassed and pleased by this innovative re-use of my username.

But then innovative re-use is one of the things we like, yes?

lucy1965

We do like re-use, yes, but re-use that makes someone unhappy is Not On. Say the word and I will stop.

Zora

On the whole, I’m pleased to become a byword. And for such a pleasant, useful object too. One that puts a bounce in our step and a smile on our face πŸ™‚

Swede

I think this is my new fav thread! πŸ˜€

djk

exactly, Zora!
    now I think we need a symbol, I’m thinking 2 X chromosomes, with the top-to-bottom of the XX being a “zorro”-type sword slash:)

(ps you are up there on the cool quotient)

I know personally my nightstand can get really cluttered! I think it’s important to keep it clean though because then I have less stress when I’m in bed.

Mimi

awurrlu, i have had a disturing minute when i read about your use of the “last item” because i thought you were writing about a “zora”. quite funny imagination that you plan to use a “zora” to defend yourself against an intruder when your husband lives elsewhere, giggle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.