Home Forums Technology Video games

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  BraveHeel 6 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

BraveHeel

Newbie, so be gentle.

I have a life long love of computer and video games. I’ve managed to keep my games culled – no time to play much with all of life’s responsibilities and other activities (including not staying on the couch or chair all day staring at a screen). Still, enjoy playing and have some video games (XBox360) that are part of a series <Mass Effect, Dragon Age> or just special. That said, I hate all the space taken by the boxes. So I’ve thought about doing what I did with my DVDs, CDs and computer software and using CD folders/sleeves. Obviously, if it is a game I do not plan to keep, keep box and give away/trade in/ whatever.

Love getting rid of box clutter, but wonder if any issues to worry about as far as storing the xbox games this way. Now my sons and daughter have games, these boxes just taunt me laying all over or occupying so much space to hold essentially a DVD. Any other ideas that might be better?

I’ve just become so focused on stripping away all the superfluous “packaging” everything has, but do not want to go too far…..

lottielot

Video games

Hello BraveHeel! Those boxes drive me insane, particularly the DS ones, ginormous quantity of packaging to hold a tiny game. I often chuck them out (usually after I get sick of tripping over them), but you need the box if you want to sell it. How about storing the boxes, instructions etc in a garage or attic and then streamlining the games into something more compact, as you suggested? Dh keeps them sort of corralled upstairs in his domain, but they do drive me crazy!

BraveHeel

Video games

Thanks. Good idea. I’m going to put boxes somewhere safe and try out a CD/DVD folder.

Also glad to know those over sized boxes bother someone else! My own domain feels less overwhelming with them off the shelves.

lottielot

Video games

Good, glad to hear it! Also, I don’t know what your kids are like, but my dh and kids are incapable of putting a game back into the correct box anyway. In fact, I may steal your idea and buy a CD sleeve for the Wii games upstairs 🙂

Parsifal

Video games

BraveHeel, I did the same thing with probably 300 PC games, 100 albums and 50+ console games last year and it really cut down on clutter. I threw out about 60 or 80 lbs of packaging that I’ve never needed again!

I clipped out the activation codes and put them in the sleeves along with the CD/DVDs and only kept the boxes where the code sticker was actually on the CD/DVD case.

Don’t worry about saving the boxes for resale. Let’s face it, if you’re not getting signed collectors editions and keeping them mint-in-box, the resale value of video games is pretty much nil.

Having observed the changes in game packaging since the 90s era with the enormous oddly-shaped boxes (I’m looking at you, Eidos), I’d say within a few years most PC games will be distributed digitally unless you mail order media. Even now, I’m starting to see $50 AAA titles that are just a DVD in an empty cardboard box, so it makes a lot of sense to use a binder and just toss the box.

RC7502

Video games

I also like Steam because the games are cheap and no clutter. However for my console games it is tough. I thought about just putting the disks on a spindle but I don’t want to get rid of the boxes just in case I want to sell the game in the future.

elizabethB

Video games

Hay! Be brave and take risk.

grey

Video games

the game disks in a cd case is the best idea by far. to be honest though, i would purge most of the cases and only store a few. you can still sell a game without it’s case, you’ll just get less for it, and games only hold value for so long. i sell video games for h and his friends (so they can go buy more, ha) and if the game is more than a year old it’s pretty hopeless.

Video games

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Official-LEGO-Game-Cases-DS/dp/B004122X5S/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332689622&sr=8-3-fkmr2 I found a whole lot of these near Christmas at clearance prices… I paid only $2 per pack of 3, bought all they had (I think there were 7 packages) and now all 3 children’s DS games are tidily stored in the smallest possible space! I wrote the name of each game on the side in black sharpie. Since I tend to buy the games cheap and used, I really ahve no need for the boxes or the repetitive warning pamphlets, and for any games that really require the gaming guide we have a large ziplock bag with all the instructions in the closet.

Xiro

Video games

I use hanging file cases like http://www.zerofournine.com/images/dvd/1.jpg for games, movies etc… saves a lot of space and the cover art can go in a binder.

BraveHeel

Video games

Just a follow up. I have gone with CD cases and love it. Did same thing for kids games and find we do not have boxes or orphaned CDs floating around. Just too easy to slide them into the case lying right near their Wii/Xbox.

Now, my challenge is seeing if there are some games I can give away or trade in. Most I have, I will keep as collectors items akin to great book. Still a few lurking for reasons I cannot yet explain……well, I can, and it is attachment. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.