Home Forums Work Uncluttering my Laptop Bag

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  riri 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

darkmixtli

Hi
    I have been following this site from a long time, and has been very useful on my home uncluttering

Now I face a problem with my laptop bag and how to handle clutter

I dont know how it happens, but I always start with a new Laptop Bag empty, just the laptop, power cord, a wireless mouse, 2 pens and my journal.

Before a week pass my laptop bag is fully loaded with plenty of things I dont remember putting in there , and heaving over 5Kg

I have a bad vice of putting thing , just in case I need them, and end up with more things than needed, eventually scratching the laptop , or having trouble passing security in the office. (security is almost as hard as boarding an airplane in US with an Afghanistan passport ).
    could you please give me some recommendations for having always an uncluttered laptop bag

I used to use backpack bag, now I switched to messenger bags, I am really thinking in carry my laptop with my bare hands , maybe that way I will stop cluttering.

Best Regards

bandicoot

Uncluttering my Laptop Bag

bags are just amazing in the way they seize and hold all kinds of stuff that you would swear you have never seen before!

i don’t carry a laptop bag…or even a handbag….but i do carry a small leather bag in my hand for cash, cards, a lipbalm, keys, mobile phone.
    like all bags it gets mysterious things stuffed into it as the day progresses….toothpicks! receipts! notes! biz cards! pens!
    the only way to manage this is to be ruthless.

two kinds of ruthlessness will be required.
    first: be ruthless about what you allow INTO the bag. this means being conscious all the time, at first. assess every single thing as it comes up. soon it will be second nature and habit.
    secondly: be ruthless every time you enter your home. the first thing to do is to Empty the rubbish out of the bag. every single time you come home with the bag.
    it is an effort at first and then it is easy.

this is what i do and i have no bag clutter these days.
    i think too, that using the smallest bag possible is a good thing.
    and i have finally learned to take a photo with my phone…of business cards, menus, etc etc etc…..so i don’t need a pen or bits ofpaper 99% of the time.
    and i give myself permission to not have to be ready for 1% of the time. it’s usually ok.

As for scratching the laptop, it might be worthwhile to invest in a sleeve. You can get an inexpensive one for less than $25. Another option would be to do the reverse — get some sort of pouchy thing and put everything else in there, to keep it contained and away from the laptop.

And I agree with Bandicoot — I sometimes have to haul a bunch of stuff around, but I have become very faithful at cleaning my backback out every evening. It’s the only way to keep it under control.

Irulan

I second bandicoot’s suggestion of the smallest bag possible. My friends and relatives all tease me about my tiny handbag, but you can’t haul around what you can’t fit.

If you can’t change bags, try setting limits on the space you have. Keep the laptop compartment for just the laptop, and let yourself accumulate in the exterior compartments. Those will become full more quickly and motivate you to clean out your bag more frequently.

lottielot

I too am a convert to small bags, though it’s easier now my kids are older and don’t need nappies/spare clothes/snacks on tap. If you have no extra capacity, it’s impossible to fill it with stuff and more incentive to clean out frequently. You sound like you need a bag rather than just a sleeve (though that would protect it) for your charger, but maybe if you got a bag-within-a-bag for the charger and other necessities, then you could restrict yourself to just that? It’s easier to organise stuff within a smaller internal bag. Or, you could put a see-through plastic bag into the laptop bag and any ‘extras’ go in there, that way it’s easy to pull out and dispose of extra stuff you don’t need if you happen to have put it in your laptop bag.

I’m in the market for a laptop bag. Any recommendations?

Irulan

I have this soft-sided Targus: http://tinyurl.com/laptopsoft and my husband has this hard-sided one: http://tinyurl.com/laptophard . Mine weighs nothing but is very strong and has a lot of foam inside the neoprene. My husband’s is more sturdy, but he has it in the larger size and laptop + bag = very heavy.

On topic, the only things I keep in my laptop bag are the following: laptop, cord, jump drive, pen, pencil, snack size ziploc of paper clips and sticky notes. Anything else is removed every time I use the bag.

@Anita and others with large bags: how do you distribute the weight on your shoulders? Do you tend to carry backpacks, or just look for bags with wider straps?

NTCH: how do you use your laptop? Where do you take it? What do you need to carry with it? It makes a difference in what kind of bag works best.

I’m not sure what you mean. (It’s me the computer dolt.) I want to be able to take it anywhere, with a shoulder strap; and I’m hard on my things so it should be very sturdy to protect the laptop but at the same time I would like something as light as possible (weak from losing wt you know ;)), and as small as possible.

Parsifal

I’ve gotten into the habit of putting specific things in each pocket of my laptop bag. It’s a lot easier to remember what not to toss in there when you know what does belong. In my case, this is an AC adapter and mouse in the outer pocket, a thumb drive and bluetooth adapter in the tiny top pocket, two writeable CDs in the inner pocket and of course the laptop itself. It’s not super light (neither is the laptop) but not overly cumbersome either.

Sometimes I’ll stuff a folder in there while I’m out, but I always resort it when I get a chance. Otherwise I’ll end up looking everywhere for the out of place item and the laptop bag is the last place I check.

The more you practice using your ‘laptop kit’ the less you should be tempted to add in extras ‘just in case’.

bandicoot

i have just bought myself a small messenger bag from timbuk2.
    i REALLY like their bags…..our h.a.l. backpacks have been all around the world and still look brand new.
    their custom bags allow for all sorts of laptop options.

riri

I too am a convert to small bags, though it’s easier now my kids are older and don’t need nappies/spare clothes/snacks on tap. If you have no extra capacity, it’s impossible to fill it with stuff and more incentive to clean out frequently. You sound like you need a bag rather than just a sleeve (though that would protect it) for your charger, but maybe if you got a bag-within-a-bag for the charger and other necessities, then you could restrict yourself to just that? It’s easier to organise stuff within a smaller internal bag. Or, you could put a see-through plastic bag into the laptop bag and any ‘extras’ go in there, that way it’s easy to pull out and dispose of extra stuff you don’t need if you happen to have put it in your laptop bag.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.