Home Forums Challenges Sentimental Clutter Things you used to love, but now wish to declutter…

This topic contains 69 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  djk 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

I used to collect CDs for bands I love. By “collect” I mean imports, promos, etc. Therefore, I have so many doubles of albums and whatnot. Lately, as I have been decluttering, I realize how silly this is. I still love to collect albums with rare tracks but don’t need to collect singles just because there is different cover art. It takes up space and the items aren’t being used.

Have any of you stoppped “collecting” certain items because you want to declutter? I just worry that I am going to declutter until I have nothing left!

charmed2482

Things you used to love, but now wish to declutter…

i have a huge barbie collection, its all sitting in my brothers basement right now in huge plastic tubs b/c there isn’t any room for it in my small apartment. I haven’t bought a new barbie or barbie accessory in a long time, and I gave away the “one” barbie I brought with me to a friend’s daughter. my mom is way attached to the barbie collection though so I am having trouble letting it go.

this collection includes a huge barbie dream house that came with all the furniture, a beach house that came from a yard sale, several barbie cars and other stuff that came from thrift stores and yard sales. and lots of barbie still in their boxes b/c my mom encouraged me to keep them as collectibles. I wish I had just opened them and played with them now instead of just looking at them. I hate having anything “packed away” with the exception of seasonal stuff, like my winter coats and winter boots b/c I know I will use those items again for the entire winter. everything else just feels like wasted space. and its not even my space. Also I don’t know how to go about getting rid of the stuff. I know I probably need to do a good sort on all of it, but after that, I would have to find someone to sell it to or give it away too. I don’t think i could give it to a thrift store. i used to work for one and sometimes things just get thrown away if they don’t get sold, and I can’t deal with the idea of my stuff ending up in the trash when its perfectly good. I need to know its going to a good home.

But my mom is a freak and even said she would take it for me in case I ever want it back. I’m not having kids and no longer like the idea of collecting anything, there is no reason i would ever want it back.

sorry for the rant.

I also used to collect pretty pencils, stickers, plastic furbies, things with happy faces on them and just about anything purple.

javamonster

Why not just *give* the collection to her? It seems much more important to her than to you. And I remember you saying that your brother would tattle on you if you ever did anything with it. Write a list, and cross it off. Don’t think of it as your stuff. It’s her stuff.

charmed2482

I’ve tried, but it still bothers me, its still going to be in my brothers basement, he doesn’t care if I leave it there forever. I still debate on finding a new home for it, but its going to be a pain since its in another city three hours away and there are 9 HUGE totes of it. I feel like its just adding to her clutter and pushing my burden off onto someone else.

bandicoot

i was going to mention my collection of glass animals that i decluttered a few years ago.
    o how i loved them and dusted them and pored over them when i was a child.
    it was a wrench but i let them all go.
    there were about 25 of them and they didn’t even fill a shoebox.
    they pale into nothing against nine big totes of barbies! LOL.
    i have to giggle, even while i completely understand your anguish over them, charmed.

well….if she won’t let you get rid of them, then you have to give them to her.
    there is no other option.
    you cannot allow yourself to dwell on what other people choose to clutter their lives with….you have to focus on YOUR situation and YOUR relationship to the barbie clutter.
    if you hand them on, then your part of it is truly done.
    what your mother chooses to do with them is not your concern.
    you are not pushing your burden onto her. she is choosing to take it.

charmed2482

you are not pushing your burden onto her. she is choosing to take it.

I like that, thanks. And thanks to you too javamonster. I think I will just tell her everything in those totes are hers. Including some large and small pink panther stuffed animals that are in there.

jbeany

Ummm, it’s a loooong list! I’m a reformed collector and pack rat. I’ve gotten rid of masses of things that I used to amass. Teddy bears, dolls, wooden pull toys, wooden boxes, a mouse collection, all things hot air balloon, round pins with snarky sayings, costume jewelry, pretty rocks and beach glass, antique glass bottles, fish tanks and the fish to go in them, fabric, gargoyles, fairies, dragons…..well, you get the idea.
    I still have bits of most of these collections. I’ve just winnowed them down to the few very best, most interesting and beautiful pieces. I moved into a very tiny apartment in ’94, and my New Year’s resolution that year was to stop buying anything just because it was “cute”. I did really, really well with it – probably the only resolution I’ve ever kept that long. I’ve cut down to buying maybe one or two knickknacks a year since then. (Not that they don’t arrive without you spending any money on them, but at least I wasn’t contributing to the problem.) Getting rid of what I had accumulated took a long time, but I’m really doing well at that now, too.

Trust me, it’s not likely you’re going to unclutter everything until there’s nothing left at all. Even if you did, someone would give you something that “just looked like you…” and the knickknack count will bounce back to a happy medium!

charmed2482

I don’t think you will unclutter till you have nothing left, you still need clothes, kitchen stuff, a computer(I’m assuming) and other things. and there is nothing wrong with not keeping kick nacks and decorative items if you don’t want them.

Anonymous

Most of my teaching idea books are just taking up space in the closets and shelves. I don’t have time to incorporate a lot of new material or activities and for that I get ideas off the Internet. It’s frustrating because I have gone to years and years worth of training for programs that just languish in binders. With all of the accountability measures coming into place, I am pretty much going to have to “teach to the test” and ignore all of the magnificent curriculum out there.

Sky

Please do what you want with your Barbie collection. However….it seems a shame to leave things of any sort boxed up, unused. There are children that could enjoy them. And in this tight economy, parents are looking for ways to save money.
    Could you give them to needed families?

margaret

If some of the barbies are in unopened boxes, maybe you could give them to Santa’s annoymous? Or sell the lot for cheap. You could just tell you mom that you got a fantastic offer for it so you sold it. She doesn’t have to know that fantastic means it made you feel good.

Thank you, jbeany! I really don’t want to unclutter until it’s all gone. And I should say this: Since 3rd grade I have loved dolls, and started a collection of the American Girl dolls. When I have a house I plan on displaying them like I did before I got married and we moved into a small apartment. Since then I have collected a few Tonner dolls of three of the Harry Potter characters and three of the Twilight characters. They are beautiful! So if my apartment feels too empty, I will always have those to display :o)

charmed – I know what you mean about not liking that the dolls are stored at your brother’s – they are still taking up mental space for you. I feel that way with a Strawberry Shortcake house that is in my parent’s basement. I sold all the dolls/accessories but since the house is so big, it has never been dealt with. My parents (who are very minimalist) can’t wait to see it go and I feel the same – it is taking up mental space for me! I plan on putting it on Craigslist soon.

Patch

Love this topic! Hope it gets a lot more responses…

For me it’s books (still love them but never seem to have the time or energy to read them), kitchen gadgets (especially now that I’m simplifying my food plan and not really cooking anymore for just myself), Christmas decorations (prefer to just listen to the music and look at holiday lights), sheep-themed anything (still like but eh it was “past life” and “too much”), small toys and board games (still like but not enough to tote around), office and school supplies (have always loved shopping for them but now that I’ve got a lifetime supply that I will never use up…what to do with?), and most if not all of my clothing wardrobe (needs serious updating when/if my weight & body ever gets to where I want it).

Hardest to give up, I keep going back and forth on whether or not to, are my Music CD and Movie DVD collections. Seeing as how I would rather be offline than online it’s nice to have the physical media, but when I consider my minimalism goals I am pretty much ready to release both collections to someone who would use/enjoy them more. Besides, it’s not like I have to be all or nothing on this anyway; I can keep a few favorites, and get rid of the rest.

Patch – that’s how I feel about the CDs: It doesn’t have to be all or nothing! Right now I am getting rid of albums that I already have, in some form or another, multiple times. I am keeping all of the ones that have bonus tracks and rare songs, because after all, for me, it’s all about the music and I love having the hard copies. I guess I used to think I was more involved with the music if I owned every single promo that the band released. I have since realized this isn’t the case and that it is excessive and doesn’t fit with my new lifestyle. After all, those promos and imports just sit on my shelf, untouched, because I have the songs on the USA releases. But I know I can’t let go of the rare CDs with hard to find songs. I am a sucker for those!

Kamakazi

For me for a long time it was DVDs. In high school and the first part of college I was buying on the average of 2 DVDs a week, and I would get 40-50 for birthdays/christmas every year (that is all I wanted) I was up to 500ish at one point. Then I decided to start paring down. I started selling on Craiglist and trading in to Vintage Stock (think Gamestop for Movies and Music). Made a hefty sum off of the selling of about 450 of them.

Now I am left with only about 50 movies/tv shows that are the ones I actually really like, and are the ones I could watch over and over again (if Netflix ever fails me or I can’t afford it anymore).

With the 50 I got rid of all the cases and I just have the discs in a binder, so it maybe takes up 1’x1’x6″ area by my TV, so I don’t consider it very clutterish.

Kamakazi – I am hoping to be able to do what you did, but with my CDs. I have about 300 right now. Over the years, I am sure I have sold/traded in at least 100 – 200. It’s insane. Now I just need to control myself. That might be the hardest part!

chacha1

I am in the books-DVDs-CDs uncluttering group right now. There’s a Kindle in my near future and, knowing that, I have already mowed through my collection to discard dozens of books. I used to love seeing an author’s whole backlist on my shelf, but if I know I can get that book again in 90 seconds, why store it for another XX years? It’s not like I’m going to run out of things to read. πŸ™‚

Knowing that I have Netflix in my future means I can mow through the DVDs pretty soon. We have a large-capacity CD/DVD jukebox and I’ll fill that with movies. All the cases will go in the trash, which I hate, but what’s done is done. Someday they will start recycling those and the landfills will turn into plastic mines. (File under “crappy jobs of the future.”)

Music CDs are hard to get rid of because I’ve been selective for a long time (over ten years) in buying, almost exclusively, discs with danceable music. I’m burning the best dance tracks onto our main computer and storing just the discs & liner notes in small shelf boxes. For strict fair-use laws adherence, I have to keep the discs if I’m copying tracks. Any discs I come across in my review that don’t have any danceable tracks are going to Goodwill.

I’ve uncluttered my craft stash, uncluttered my records, and almost completely uncluttered my kitchen. I’ve even uncluttered my art & memorabilia collections. I hit the wall a few years ago, I guess, and just want more SPACE.

lucy1965

@chacha I’ve had my Nook for a week and I love it. I want to bear its children. (All right, not quite that fond of it. πŸ™‚ ) An entire shelf of children’s books has gone into my son’s “When partner and I graduate next year and move out” pile, and I have the books on my Nook, many of them with the same illustrations. A shelf of public domain books has gone to the library book sale.

pkilmain

@lucy1965 – I recently bought an iPad and have a Kindle reader installed on it. Now my problem is not to spend too much money at once. I can get a book so quickly and easily that I really just need to wait until I want it and spread out the expense. πŸ™‚ I was a library director for the last 10 years of my working life, so I really didn’t buy many books (a few cookbooks, a couple of author signed favorites) so my bookcase has stayed the same for those years. Recently however, I’ve noticed some books that I’ll never read or read again, so it’s on the declutter list….

I also have a semi-large collection of stuffed bears and rabbits. I packed about 2/3 of them away when we recarpeted my craft room (where they lived) a couple years ago. They have yet to come out of storage, though I can see the container which is in the closet of my office where the computer is…. I know I need to cull them. Many are collectible and should at least go on Craigslist for other collectors even if I don’t get anything for them (i.e. they’re not toy quality). Another item for the list.

Amy

When I downsized I got rid of most of my collections, and only kept a few. It’s just what will fit in the display spaces I have. Two 32″ tall bookcases, one small curio cabinet, the top of a drysink, and two vintage dish cabinets in the kitchen. Sounds like alot, I know, but nothing compared to what I used to have. Anyway, when one of these spaces starts to look too cluttered, it gets edited. I fill up a box to go to the auction house, clear a little space and start over. I know myself well enough to understand that I will always have a collection of something. With my small space and neat freak OC, it stays under control.

terriok

Amen, Deb!

These kids are getting gypped out of an education. Teaching I had to be creative or I went nuts.

Charmed, you would not happen to have a mint Barbie roadster convertible? MELON??

I am serious.

lucy1965

@pkilmain I have a handful of books that I will always keep in hardcopy, but my visual limitations are such that being able to resize text on the fly is a very important consideration. And I have bought/grabbed from PG more books in the last week than I’ve acquired in the previous couple of years.

pkilmain

@lucy1965 – totally love the resizing aspect! And that I can have nearly any book I want immediately! πŸ™‚

Claycat

Charmed! Some of those Barbies may be worth a lot of money! If you need money, sell them! If I had a Barbie collection, I would sell it to the highest bidder.

As it is, I have some Beatles records I probably need to sell. It’s not the records that are important, it’s the music and the memories. I don’t know if they would be very valuable though. They were well played!

terriok

The albums, I hear, the kids are into collecting and go for good prices.

Timo

Definitely CD’s! I used to buy them a lot, now all I do is buy downloadable music instead.

jsights

thmusiclivez, YES!! I use to do this too. I remember spending weekends prowling the local music shops and spending all my money on import CDs. I have over 100 David Bowie CDs at one point. Over 500 CDs total. I have since digitized them all and gotten rid of every physical CD. So much easier to move now!

I also used to collect Boyds Bears (cute resin teddy bear figures) and had a 6 shelf curio cabinet FILLED. I got tired of repacking and unpacking them every time I moved, and having to store the empty boxes, so I got rid of them all, except a nativity set that I’m not sure why I can’t part with because I never set it out, and am not religious. It’s in my parents’ basement…I should just let it go.

Books…same thing, got rid of most of them except ones not availble on Kindle, and a few all-time favorites. I rarely buy a physical book anymore.

I don’t collect anything anymore, and am much happier for it!

jsights – I wish I could tell you how much time I spent searching for rare CDs for my collection! I guess I wasn’t alone :o) I can’t say that I regret doing it because I had a lot of fun while it lasted. But now that I have so many, the rarer ones go for AT LEAST $50 – $60 a piece, and I am just not willing to pay that much… so I am selling off a good portion of my collection.

You’re right, I feel happier now that I don’t collect them. It’s freeing – no more checking eBay everyday for rare CDs!

ninakk

I used to buy books even when my bookshelf was filling over, mainly because the topic sounded interesting and the price was low (on sale). I still love books, but the whole holiness thingy about them is gone.

Up until now my sister and I have together removed something like 200 books from our collections. They are sitting in my basement, waiting for me to find a shop that hasn’t recently filled their storage space to max. I’m short on money and would like to make at least a little bit on them, even though there’s mostly “mediocre” books among them. I can’t wait until I get to go through my collection once again, because I’m sure there’s something in there that I can chuck out one way or the other!

Patch

My uncluttering update, FWIW (to keep myself accountable): Still having problems releasing my DVDs.

I read somewhere once that indecision means don’t really need/want it, because the decision to keep or get rid of would be easy otherwise. But I don’t think that applies here.

I have weeded down to definitely keep just my favorite movies (approx 100), and am in the process of watching them and transferring them to slim-CD cases (in fact I got the idea here at unclutterer, but haven’t located the link to that thread yet).

I am ready to (or have already) release(d) almost everything else in my household, including books, music CDs except for about 60 fave titles, and even furniture, so why not keep and enjoy ALL of what I already enjoy…i.e. old movies? Especially since the slim-CD cases will allow storage of so many discs in such a relatively small space?

I literally keep going back and forth RE-movie DVDs; somedays I say get rid of all, somedays it’s keep just my faves, somedays it’s keep and enjoy all of them (except just the handful I don’t care about), and be done with it.

Yeah, I suppose getting rid of them in favor of Netflix is an option, but why add another purchase/rental expense when I already own the item and can watch it as many times as I want, whenever I want? Netflix is still $9 a month, whether one rents 1 movie a month or 100 movies a month.

BTW I haven’t found yet what kind of permanent yet <i>portable</i> home I want the slim-CD cases to live in, but thinking of something like a Sterilite chest or maybe something from MM Design. I will wait to decide until I find out just how many DVDs & CDs I end up keeping and need to house.

Other than that, I’m still working (procrastinating actually) on getting my sell blog ready to launch. Maybe by the time I finish it, the economy will have improved and folks will be ready to go shopping again… /wishful thinking

Claycat

Patch, unless you are wanting to become a minimalist, I don’t see anything wrong with keeping your movies! As long as you don’t have 100 of everything else you love, except maybe books, I don’t see a problem! πŸ™‚

Claycat

I still have a lot of books, but I’m going through them again. Some of them are falling apart. I’m going to read those again and throw them away. I have two boxes of books ready to go. Someone on my freecycle group wanted books. I sent them an email, and I haven’t heard from them. I am having trouble even giving stuff away!

NYCPakRat

I have a ton of books and CDs and a large Wedgwood collection. As I weed them out, I put them on ebay. What doesn’t sell, gets donated somewhere.

lucy1965

All right, people, I’m resurrecting the thread because I need some sympathy or a kick up the backside, possibly both:

When we were planning to move to the UK, a lot of our friends would bring me gardening books when they’d come over for trade shows. I have a shelf full of them. It hurts to look at them, and they aren’t written for people with small city gardens in the PNW, which is where we’re headed now.

Still, these people hauled them all the way over.

I’m thinking of putting them aside for the time being, and dropping them at the library before we head out of town. (I’ll do the same with the books on Craftsman bungalows: I’ve loved this house, but I’m NEVER taking on a major renovation project again.) Is this a reasonable plan, do you think?

JuliaJayne

I think it’s the perfect plan, Lucy. Your life has changed and the books don’t fit your new life. It’s ok to get rid of gifts and I’m sure those who gave you the books would understand.

Lucy, I think donating them to the library is a fantastic idea. You will be passing the books on to people who really want to read them!

ninakk

Great idea to resurrect this thread! Libraries and other similar places are really good as the books then reach more than just one household, so here’s another yes vote, Lucy.

When I started this thread I was in the process of getting rid of a particular collection of import/promo CDs for a band that I love… Now I found that I have been getting rid of lots of CDs in general. If I don’t love the album, out it goes! It was kind of scary at first – I guess I really defined myself by my music collection. Now I learned that I can still be a music lover without owning 400 CDs, two thirds of which I really didn’t love.

bandicoot

my mother rang me yesterday to talk about her linen.
    she has caught the decluttering bug from me. big time.
    she has offered me a tablecloth of irish linen that my mother’s father’s mother brought over from ireland to new zealand in 1901.
    it is the only “thing” extant of hers.
    once upon a time i would have killed for it.
    now, i find myself hesitating on the other end of the phone…..

take it (my vote)

SunshineR

take it (my vote). You love Irish linen napkins. You use them everyday…

bandicoot

i do use the napkins.
    but a whole huge tablecloth?
    i don’t have the right shape or size table.

i wonder if anyone in the family would scream if i had pillow cases made from it…..

irishbell

bandicoot- one of the linen-ish items I unpacked from my Mom’s treasure trove of saved linen/cotton items was a pillowcase. I believe it is plain old cotton but with hand crocheted lace at the opening of the case. It is the softest best smelling thing I own. I put it on my pillow shortly after I discovered I had it. It’s only been off for washing.
    Or you could have it made into more napkins, tea towels, a dresser scarf, valance for a window, a shawl, oooh I could on and on.

tmichelle

I agree. Make it into something. No need having un-useful stuff around especially if the original owner has gone on to better things.

My bow : (

I just sold it last week. I was really sad to see it go.

ninakk

“whoa, now hold your horses!” was my first thought, but it doesn’t show anything but a newbie unclutterer’s reaction. emotional attachment, people… when I read all the wonderful ideas that could give another chapter to that heirloom I felt excitement. do whatever you feel like with it, bandicoot!

JuliaJayne

I can’t comment. I can’t make those decisions, which is why I have a bin full of family stuff.

I dread the day my parents are gone and I have to go through all their belongings and make those decisions.

Sharing my experience:

Many years ago I gave away a patchwork quilt/blanket made by my much loved grandmother and have been kicking myself and full of remorse ever since. If I had lots of things made by her it wouldn’t matter, but I don’t so for me it is a real loss.

irishbell

absolutely- only keep it if it truly want it and can see yourself using it in another way. nothing wrong with keeping things that you know you will repurpose and use lovingly. nothing wrong with passing it on to someone else if you have no use for it.
    juliajayne- it is a tough job. I recently went through so much of my mom’s things, after she passed, with my Dad- The rest of the stuff will be my dads stuff(which we went through and culled)- I now know where it is located (not much in the way of mementos besides a college yearbook, a couple things of his dads, letters from my Mom to him during college). The only undecided things left will be furniture and appliances and kitchen ware. Something my bro and sis and I will need to decide on. I am so thankful that he and I did it while he’s still with us- it would have been an awful job if I had waited til he was gone. The only things i took from their home after my Mom’s death, I did not store, I am using them, or passed on to my daughters if they wanted some of it.
    If you have only one bin and it doesn’t bother you to store it, I’d just keep it and not worry about it.

JuliaJayne

Irish- I’ve been trying to get my mother to go through things now, but it seems to frazzle her. When I do get her to get rid of stuff, she’ll talk about it for weeks because she’s so happy. She will even show her friends the cleaned-out, organized spaces.

And then we have to do those spaces all over again within a year because she has trouble saying no to double coupon day.

pkilmain

Bandicoot – pillowcases would be lovely, esp since you already have a lot of napkins. Or, is it of a size you could cut down to fit?

I too have a quilt made (I think) by my stepfather’s mother (is she my step-grandmother, or what? I grew up with her as a grandmother) and sometimes I have it on the bed, others it is stored in a cloth bag. It’s starting to be too fragile to use, esp with cats.

djk

Bandicoot, if you decide to accept it, it is yours for whatever use you give it.

One of the things I simply love about Rome is the feeling that life must go on. Medieval is built upon ancient, renaissance is built over everything and sometimes attached to medieval, and modern is plopped over and blended with it all. Such a practical approach, really. Of course, stripping buildings of their cladding marble for personal gain might not have been such a fine idea in hindsight, but nonetheless there is a sense that people must LIVE in this ancient city and so…they DO.

To repurpose valued objects to suit the present is valid and often desirable.

bandicoot

djk, the roman analogy was lovely and resonated with me.
    i wonder if i mightn’t be able to incorporate my length of wedding lace somehow? hmmm.

and thank you to all of you who encouraged me to accept the cloth.
    i will tell mum what i intend with it and she can take it from there.

irishbell

JJ- I was never able to get my mom to do any decluttering. It was like pulling her teeth if i suggested she throw out expired items from the frig. I’m talking cream cheese dated 2006! Especially after her stroke, her reasoning was very childlike and emotional, like talking to a 13 year old who wants her own way! After awhile it was not even worth it to bring up the subject. Happily, my Dad is a different story altogether. Patience is key.

JuliaJayne

Irish – that’s how my dad is except he has parkinson’s. He’s even that way with medications. He had serious health problems last year after getting a pacemaker. The doctor had to take him off blood thinners because they were thinning out his blood too much. One bad fall or cut and he would have bled out. I didn’t know it at the time, but he kept taking them. I asked him over and over if he was taking the pills. He’d say no, that he would never do that. I finally had to get the medication out of the house, and guess what? He stabilized. He later admitted to me that he was taking the pills because he wanted to use them up. I now have a bag of pills in my house that they no longer take. Theonly way I could get the pills away from them is to promise I would bring them back if they needed them again.

SunshineR

bandicoot: imo, your idea of using your wedding lace with the Irish linen sounds especially beautiful and meaningful to me.

Rosa

JuliaJayne, I think with anyone with any dementia, finding a way to work with their beliefs is the key. I learned it dealing with a great-uncle with Alzheimers – if he mistook me for my mother and I corrected him we had to have this whole long painful discussion that just reminded him of how much function he’d lost. If I just went with it, I was uncomfortable but he was happy. I visited him to make him happy, not to make myself comfortable.

My grandma used to give me all kinds of junk, and I would just take it and dispose of it (or use the 10% I could actually use). But just saying “no, that’s useless, throw it away” would have wasted a lot of energy and made her feel bad.

I mean, it’s worth it to reshape your thinking at 20, 40, 60. Maybe even 70 or 80. But once your actual physical brain is deteriorating? Just go for happiness and function.

lgmost

As what I’ve said in my previous post about craft lover, I love craft so much. I kept a lot of craft materials. One craft can made of several materials. You never know which materials you need, so I just kept all, and saved some innovative things(e.g transparent small pen lid, plastic sheets). Besides, I have a lot of craft books (about 30-40).

This month, after comparing the pros and cons for different types of crafts and my interest on them, I got rid of all the fabric and clay. In fact, I enjoy the process more. I didn’t feel any pain to get rid of the materials. However, for some of the tools, they are quite expensive and not easy to get from somewhere, I still keep them. Thanks to the buddies here, I was inspired, I should focus one or two crafts instead of all kinds.

For craft books, I should say they are my collection. I cannot part with them. If space is limited finally, I would choose to part with all the other things instead of them. They have sentimental value to me. When I was young, I read the craft book if I was depressed. All the colorful pictures made me smile. They accompanied me to go through the tough time. I view them as supporters. I decided not to buy anymore unless I find a book which is better than the current collection, so I can replace it and get rid of one. When I bought the craft book, I had a strategy. For the same type of craft, I only allowed myself to buy 2-3. For the most or 2nd most favourite type, I could buy about 6-7. Each craft book must have a reason to buy, for example, I love a particular design of jewellery. It seems that it is quite wasteful for just buying one design for whole book, but it is quite unique from other books and I appreicate it so much, then I would buy it. I just don’t want to tear it off from a nice book. Am I weird ><

BTW, does unclutter have the exact meaning as declutter or slightly difference?
    I think:
    Unclutter means organizing the things
    Declutter means simplifing the things

Isn’t it?

lucy1965

I’ve sorted the books.

You guys, it’s a really big pile.

Hold me?

inga

I think unclutter and declutter mean exactly the same thing. As to what they actually mean, I dont know. To me they mean removing the clutter. You’d likely have more fun defining clutter :B

Rosa

Lucy, good job! Seriously good job! Now get them out of the house!

I know i’ve mentioned before that I got rid of books by the laundry-basketful when I started decluttering, right? It feels SO GOOD.

SunshineR

Lucy, I hear you. Books are one of my favorite items. I’m staring at a stack of unused cookbooks as I write this. And I promised to declutter them today…it’s 10:07 PM… hmph….

SunshineR

Update: I did bag up cookbooks and paperbacks tonight; posted on ATAD thread. YAY!

Talis01

For the book lovers: Check with your local library, ours has a twice a year fund raising book sale that consists of books donated by the community & with drawls from the library. If you aren’t looking to make money with your books, and want them to go somewhere that they will be appreciated it’s a great donation.

For the gal with the Barbies, seriously, I think you have bigger problems than Barbies where your mom is concerned. It sounds like she’s an emotional hoarder. You really need to get her some counseling, check with the local mental health center, as they will do counseling on a sliding fee scale. Good luck.

And thanks, you have completely inspired me to get rid of all my Barbie stuff on Craigslist or at a garage sale. We’ve got no kids & only nephews, so I don’t even know why I was hanging onto it!

Nithy

I have a 6-foot tall cardboard standee of Legolas from the Lord of the Rings movies. It was a gift many years ago from a friend who is no longer a friend of mine.

I like having him around the house. He makes a nice hat rack (and looks dashing in a fedora). At the same time, there have been times where I’ve freaked out because I opened the apartment door and there was a GUY standing in my apartment, before I realized it was my Cardboard Roommate.

I’ll be moving next month; I still don’t know whether he’ll be coming with me.

Nithy: If Orlando Bloom showed up at my house, he’s stay there.

Shortbird

Ah, yes: the cardboard cut out; mine is of Keanu Reeves as Neo in The Matrix. A keeper, and no mistake!

And Talis: were you keeping the Barbies for Justin Case because I really don’t think he’s got space for them!

cjhaab

This thread has gotten me thinking. I have a nice little collection of bird figurines. They are all different, glass, wood, ceramic, metal, so they are fairly interesting, but since I started storing some handmade pottery bowls in my hutch, there is no room. And I can’t put them out where dust can collect…

They really aren’t much use. Most of them were holiday gifts from relatives, but none were expensive. I enjoyed them for many years, but just can’t see them ever going on display. They are packed neatly, waiting…

Someday I’ll decide, or someone will…

melisslyss

I have hundreds of CDs that I would definitely classify as sentimental clutter. I used to LOVE all this music, bu now these CDs are just dusty, nasty pieces of plastic sitting in jewel cases, taking up space in my basement. But yet, I am not ready to throw them away… Recently discovered that I could give up my CDs without giving up my music.

There is a website http://www.murfie.com that is an online storage place for your tunes. I requested a kit the other day and they paid for all the shipping fees. Sent in those bulky discs and they created an online music profile for me, where all my music lives digitally now. Plus, you can trade, sell, and buy more music on their site. I highly recommended this to anyone wanting to declutter their music collection.

djk

Cheeminghk it sounds like it was a big project!
    I can imagine you feel good having it all done

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.