Home Forums Living Spaces Bedrooms The final frontier

This topic contains 32 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  needtocleanhouse 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Zora

I resolved yesterday to move my computer desk and my sewing machine out of the front room and into my bedroom. It’s simply not fair to my roommates for me to monopolize the front room from dawn to bedtime, sitting at the computer all day as I do. At the moment, the guys (gay couple) are spending evenings in their bedroom, watching Netflix on a tiny laptop screen. While I’m sitting in the front room typing. If I move computer command central into the bedroom, then we can buy a large-screen TV and they can move out into the front room while I sit in the bedroom and type.

This is going to be a decluttering challenge because my bedroom is already full of STUFF. A thousand books, twenty-year old dissertation materials, sewing supplies and projects. I’ve been telling myself for years that I’d digitize everything and finish up all the projects … but that is proceeding at a glacial to non-existent pace. I realized that the only way I was going to force myself to confront it all was to live with it, uncomfortably.

All the stuff is clean, organized, and boxed or on bookshelves. It would not be a problem at all if I had a study and/or a sewing room. It would not be a problem if I had enough money to use the second bedroom as a sewing-room/guest bedroom. But because I’m poor, I rent out the second bedroom … and that involves sacrifices, if I’m going to be fair to my roomies.

The other thousand books are going to stay in the front room because that’s the only place I have to keep them. My roomies won’t mind them. They’re decor πŸ™‚

The final frontier

Applauds Zora for being sensitive to others πŸ™‚ You can do it! Just a few things a day. Hang in there.

grey

The final frontier

it sounds like an overwhelming task, but with little steps it can absolutely be done!

EraserGirl

The final frontier

great and noble effort. three cheers

MTNgirl

The final frontier

Sounds like you got some good roommates! Congratulations! And happy uncluttering!

I read your last two sentences as your “roomies” were the decor-instead of the books!

bandicoot

The final frontier

awesome!
    o yes by all means swap the books for the computer….very smart move.
    win win all round.
    you can totally do this.

Ella

The final frontier

I couldn’t resist…

“I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set,
    I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx

Zora

The final frontier

No, no, no … I have 1000 books in the bedroom and 1000 books in the front room. This is AFTER several heavy culls. But it’s a good idea to try to move some of the bedroom books out into the front room. It’s just a question of affording bookcases on a foodstamp budget (for non-USAians, that means I’m dirt poor). The bookcases in the bedroom are thirty years old and hideous and homemade (badly) and too tall and I am JUNKING them. They are held together with wire, toggle bolts, and C-clamps at this point.

Zora

The final frontier

P.S. My roomies just told me that they like hiding out in their mancave and even if the living room offered a comfy new couch and a large flatscreen TV, they’d still stay in their room.

I am still going to do the move, but I think this means that I can take a little more time …

Rosa

The final frontier

Zora, if there’s space you may see them more, or you might all have friends over more. It makes a big difference in a shared space.

That’s the thing I miss most about having roomates: making friends with their friends. It’s harder to meet people living in my little nuclear family bubble.

djk

The final frontier

Ella, that reminds me of something I saw on Pinterest recently:
    There was a book falling off a shelf, with the caption, “every time someone watches Jersey Shore, a book commits suicide”

Zora, your roommates sound lovely. And now you can work away at your project at your own pace

ninakk

The final frontier

Wow, Zora, how kind of you to be prepared to change so dramatically how you use your space! Like djk said, I say take your time but it might be that a future roomie is not like your mancavers πŸ™‚ Good luck!

luxcat

The final frontier

Zora… don’t forget the bookshelf solution for the dirt poor (and those who move a lot)… one foot by one foot fence bricks and planks. I used these for years. you can’t stack them up too far (about three levels) but you can use shorter planks for shorter areas, etc. they are very flexible and very inexpensive… and very easy to declutter should one move or decide to get rid of them in future.

liag

The final frontier

Yes, luxcat. Ours began in 1969 in an apt. living room with little other furniture and evolved to being painted, etc., and finally installed semi-permanently in a garage when we had a big house. Now I have pared down my massive English teacher book collection to about 30 for me, 30 shared with dh, and 50 of his needed for research. I use library and sharing with friends. You are not as smart as how many books you put on display!

The final frontier

How is the final frontier going?

Zora

The final frontier

The final frontier was stalled for a couple of weeks because I had a sinus infection (dust from the books and bookcases). Also because I had to finish installing the Cat-6 internet cable to my bedroom, as well as painting some old beige raceway.

The raceway covers wiring that a friend installed on the wall and ceiling so that I could have an overhead light fixture + ceiling fan. Wall and ceiling are white; raceway was off-white and turned a horrid yellow-beige over the years. I decided that it MUST be painted before I started moving furniture into the room. Less stuff to cover and protect.

Both improvements took some time because they involved climbing up and down a ladder multiple times. My arthritis is now so bad that I had to space out the work. One day working (after taking some codeine for the pain) and a day or two to recover.

But today is the DAY. I measured the bedroom and the furniture, figured out the only possible arrangement, and decided how to do it. Move everything out but the bed and the clothing in the closet, move furniture from front room into bedroom, put stuff back into bedroom, CULLING to fit available storage space. Roommate Jeff will do the heavy moving. Excess stuff will then be taken to the car to be given away.

This is going to hurt.

Zora

The final frontier

I need some encouragement to let go of something. Several years ago, I decided that I would use pattern weights instead of pins when sewing, and made a set of 24 weights. I collected old catfood cans, crimped down all the sharp edges, filled the cans with a layer of small lead fishing weights, and then poured melted paraffin, colored with old crayons, over the lead weights. The pattern weights are beautiful and colorful. BUT … I don’t use them.

I don’t have a cork cutting table and have to cut out cloth on my tile floor. When I try to use the weights, the weights and the cloth slither around the floor. I went back to pinning.

I know I should get rid of something I don’t use, but I worked so HARD to make those weights. Encourage me to freecycle them, please.

Zora

The final frontier

What about old underpants and swimsuits? Do used clothing places want those, or are they too intimate, even if clean?

They’re too big! Yay me!

lottielot

The final frontier

Do they have textile recycling where you live? I usually put underwear in there, though we do have bra recycling banks at our local tip πŸ™‚ Our tip really does recycle EVERYTHING! Last time I went I noticed stamps, spectacles and fluorescent light bulbs!

Zora

The final frontier

Only Goodwill and Salvation Army. There’s also Freecycle, but I’m not sure that I want to give my old underwear to any random perv who would show up to collect it πŸ™‚

Swede

The final frontier

I know that some shelters collect nice and clean underwear for the homeless… Maybe call and ask? I know I’ve seen swimsuits in second hand shops before. πŸ™‚

djk

The final frontier

Heh, Zora, am giggling about the random pervs lurking around crossing their fingers that today will be the day someone freecycles undies;)
    I toss socks and underwear, as we don’t have textile recycling here to my knowledge. I usually wear things until they fall apart, so nobody else would want them anyway.

About the weights–is there another purpose they can be put to, like bookends?
    If you still like them, keep them for a bit and see how you feel in a month or so. If you feel ready to let them go and just want a push, think of other seamstresses out there in Freecycleland who would find them useful.

Zora

The final frontier

Further progress. I threw away all the old CD and DVD cases. If I have the disks, I don’t need the packaging. The CDs are in some disintegrating CD wallets; I need to buy a new, large wallet. The DVDs are stored in the plain, thin plastic cases that you can buy in bulk, cheaply. I’ll buy another wallet for the DVDs and then I can dispose of more plastic.

Of course, all the CDs are ripped to iTunes and I’m mostly watching Netflix streaming or Netflix DVDs. I suppose I could go completely digital, but I’m not ready to abandon my physical object security blankets yet.

Zora

The final frontier

And I junked several years of bank records. I can get them from the bank if I’m audited, which is unlikely. No money to be wrung from me πŸ™‚

bandicoot

The final frontier

zora, i didn’t think i could get rid of my hard copies either.
    but after avoiding it for three years, i did it last month.
    all the music is on itunes and backed up to two separate places.
    it feels pretty good!

i am going to be sweeping the books YET AGAIN this year.
    at present they are in boxes, while the renovating goes on. but i am laying plans.

Zora

The final frontier

Spent the afternoon cleaning my bare bedroom. Cleaner than it’s been for twenty years. In the evening, my roommate Jeff helped me move furniture. The computer desks didn’t want to go through the bedroom door and we had to PUSH, to the detriment of the desk edges and the door frame. Oh well. I’m getting rid of the desks as soon as I can afford to have a desk made that is smaller and fits the room better.

Exhausted and in lots of arthritis pain, so I took a codeine pill before going to bed. Mistake, because I can’t sleep. So I rewired all the computer stuff at 3 AM. Online again, everything works. Yay me.

Still a lot to do, culling and putting away. But there has been progress.

The final frontier

That’s a lot of work there. Congratulations.

Zora

The final frontier

Yesterday I went through my files and junked a lot of paper. Today I sorted out my office supplies. I ended up with a bag of junk and a bag of fancy-edge scissors, crayons, colored pencils, fancy envelopes and writing paper to give Roland and Anna’s kids. Cut office supplies by half.

Oh, and I gave away a small rolling cart. Easy-peasy. I taped a FREE sign on it, moved it out by the condo mailboxes, and it was gone in hours. Also dropped off books at the library and two bags of stuff at Goodwill.

There’s still a mound of STUFF in the front room, but I’m working on it.

The final frontier

Inspiring. Was there a trigger?

Zora

The final frontier

The trigger was feeling guilty about hogging the front room (the one with the view of the garden, the one with the couch) while my roommates huddled in their dark mancave. Even though they say they won’t use the front room, even though they say they LIKE being private in their room, I want to do what’s fair. But once I started, I started to feel so free, so relieved. I’m moving furniture that hasn’t been moved in twenty years, sorting through stored stuff that hasn’t been revisited in almost that long, and I’ve had a chance to clean my bedroom THOROUGHLY. I’m exhausted, I’m broke, but I know I’m going in the right direction.

I am rigorously clean and had everything stowed in neatly labeled bins. But it was still clutter.

The final frontier

Woo hoo to you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.