Home Forums Technology DVDs, CDs, Home Movies Tackling the pile of backup cd’s (also never backup to cd!)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      xhan
      Participant

it must be a sign. I went into Maplin this morning to buy an external CD drive to tackle that dreaded mountain of pre external harddrive ‘backups’ I have and even though the shop had had its windows smashed (isn’t london fun) and they said it was closed they let me in anyway.

I didn’t get the 19.99 one I wanted because apparently that can’t read dvds (grr) so I got one that was supposedly half price, It matches my netbook though I suppose. (it was this one if your interested: http://www.maplin.co.uk/samsung-external-slimline-dvd-rw-227918 – it also seems to play dvds on a tv and work on mac/linux too but I’ll let you know)

Tonight I will start tackling the box of cd’s/dvds and bin them all! (or maybe become the next sean avery! http://seanavery.deviantart.com/gallery/ )

To people who are backing up files/going paperless – don’t backup onto CD or if you do buy gold plated ones they last 10 years. most cds have a limited lifespan. Use cloud storage or a series of harddrives. (harddrives don’t last very long either tbh you should be replacing them or duplicating important data onto a new hard drive every 2 years)

(I’m excited because this is one of my BIG things to tackle this year!)

Xiro

Tackling the pile of backup cd's (also never backup to cd!)

I never trusted floppies or CDs or DVD’s as backup, they always felt unstable like floppies, I hated using those, yet I had to until flash drives dropped in price then went to external hard drives for backups.

Good luck

I have a scanning project I want to work on, scanning HUNDREDS of photographs takes time.

xhan
      Participant

@Xiro thats on my list too, leaving that one until last!!! – let me know how you get on!

My plan for photos will probably involve scanning negatives (will probably hire a decent film scanner)

and for developed ones I will set up the tripod and a small lightbox and photograph them directly with my camera tethered to my mac and lightroom – That way I dont have to process the photos afterwards they will all be organised already – might even write a script to upload the photos directly to flickr as I do it – but that could be taking it a bit far!

Xiro

I have photographs, negatives and slides, this will take some time. Not sure why I feel I must be done in hours, it may take weeks, it would get done at some point, not everything is done in minutes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.