Home Forums Technology DVDs, CDs, Home Movies Tackling the pile of backup cd’s (also never backup to cd!)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Xiro 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

xhan
    Participant

it must be a sign. I went into Maplin this morning to buy an external CD drive to tackle that dreaded mountain of pre external harddrive ‘backups’ I have and even though the shop had had its windows smashed (isn’t london fun) and they said it was closed they let me in anyway.

I didn’t get the 19.99 one I wanted because apparently that can’t read dvds (grr) so I got one that was supposedly half price, It matches my netbook though I suppose. (it was this one if your interested: http://www.maplin.co.uk/samsung-external-slimline-dvd-rw-227918 – it also seems to play dvds on a tv and work on mac/linux too but I’ll let you know)

Tonight I will start tackling the box of cd’s/dvds and bin them all! (or maybe become the next sean avery! http://seanavery.deviantart.com/gallery/ )

To people who are backing up files/going paperless – don’t backup onto CD or if you do buy gold plated ones they last 10 years. most cds have a limited lifespan. Use cloud storage or a series of harddrives. (harddrives don’t last very long either tbh you should be replacing them or duplicating important data onto a new hard drive every 2 years)

(I’m excited because this is one of my BIG things to tackle this year!)

Xiro

Tackling the pile of backup cd's (also never backup to cd!)

I never trusted floppies or CDs or DVD’s as backup, they always felt unstable like floppies, I hated using those, yet I had to until flash drives dropped in price then went to external hard drives for backups.

Good luck

I have a scanning project I want to work on, scanning HUNDREDS of photographs takes time.

xhan
    Participant

@Xiro thats on my list too, leaving that one until last!!! – let me know how you get on!

My plan for photos will probably involve scanning negatives (will probably hire a decent film scanner)

and for developed ones I will set up the tripod and a small lightbox and photograph them directly with my camera tethered to my mac and lightroom – That way I dont have to process the photos afterwards they will all be organised already – might even write a script to upload the photos directly to flickr as I do it – but that could be taking it a bit far!

Xiro

I have photographs, negatives and slides, this will take some time. Not sure why I feel I must be done in hours, it may take weeks, it would get done at some point, not everything is done in minutes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.