Home Forums Work Your Office Tackling the junk room

This topic contains 87 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  lucy1965 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

lucy1965

Hi, all!

As mentioned in ATAD, DH has given me permission to start on the junk room. This room contains boxes of computer equipment/software/printouts, most of which have been untouched for 10 years, after having been untouched for the previous 6 in the old house.

For those of you saying “Just throw it all out!”: bwahahahahaha! There’s roaring cases of “sunk cost” and “repurposing” fallacies going on here; presenting him with very granular choices, in small batches, is the method that’s going to lead to something good. (I’ve also put floor plans of the potential new flats on his white board, with “Your stuff here” marked in bright red Sharpie with the area measurements.)

So: if you were sorting this, how would you start? Pull everything out and start grouping? By what categories? I’ve also agreed to come up with disposal methods (user groups with archives, GreenDisk, the electronics recycling event next month) so that as soon as he makes a decision, the item has a place to go.

What have I overlooked? Have we covered this already and I need a pointer and a cluestick?

Ella

Tackling the junk room

Brave girl! I’d start with the vipers nest of cables. Put like with like so he can see how many duplicates you have. Then hope for reason to prevail!

chacha1

Tackling the junk room

I think I’d have to go with “pull everything out and start grouping.”

Software with manuals
    software without manuals
    manuals without software
    input devices (keyboards, mice, etc)
    monitors
    printers/scanners/faxes
    computers
    Cables
    Power supply/management devices

Anything that doesn’t fit in one of these categories is just garbage, so you’ll probably need a pile/bag/box marked TRASH as well!

Re: sunk cost fallacy, if necessary remind your DH how much mortgage/rent has been paid for no other purpose than to provide storage space for this junk. I guarantee that is far more than the entire “value” of the contents of the room.

smallLife

Tackling the junk room

I know Best Buy here in the states has recycling containers for all of the random cables that seem to accumulate.

As far as how to tackle the project, what are you turning the room into and does DH have a stake/interest in the resulting space? If so it might be useful to tackle areas and slowly redecorate so he can see his progress. . . . although sorting in that kind of environment might be overwhelming.

jlw

Tackling the junk room

Given how fast computer hardware changes, I have to wonder how useful 10- to 16-year-old stuff is going to be anyway. Maybe you can convince him that getting any of it working again would be more trouble/cost than it’s worth, just to end up with something that seems pretty unimpressive compared to today’s equipment?

Rosa

Tackling the junk room

Get him to give you a date before which software manuals are useless, maybe? My partner is a coder, and always just uses online -man, but he has 2 or 3 paper manuals – we have a standing agreement that any manual more than 5 years old is recyclable, like a phone book.

Gypsie

Tackling the junk room

Way back in 1965, when computing was new Dr. Gordon Moore, cofounder of Intel, predicted that technology would double every two years. There is an exact quote but this is the basic gist of it. And that prediction has become Moore’s law as it has remained crazily accurate and is predicted to remain accurate until 2015 or longer.

That said, you now have a little more ammo for exactly how worthless some of this computer junk really is.

bandicoot

Tackling the junk room

tech advancement certainly blisters along at a crazy pace.
    anything older than, say, what is on my desk right now, would be sent on to a new home, if it was mine.
    tech stuff in piles in a garage….you know what i’d be doing!
    tech for me, is to be used until it falls apart OR sold while it is still kicking to make way for upgrades.
    just buying newer stuff and leaving the old stuff somewhere around the house…that way madness lies (for me anyway, and i’ve been a short way down this very road, with cables and broken mice and defunct keyboards and hard drives that would never go again…..i held onto them for years and then i woke up one day and gave it all away. and the thing is, i have never ever regretted a single piece of tech that i have donated or sold on).

i’d go through it, get an overview, arm myself with some salient facts and details about how old and useless it all is……and then i’d make a lovely dinner for him and have a really good, calm, reasonable chat about it.
    yes, it is horribly manipulative, but he needs to start thinking about this stuff differently if you want to really get a move on it.
    might take a bit of persuasion.

Sky

Tackling the junk room

DH has several boxes of wires, computer parts and who knows what else in boxes in our office. His thought is, when he finishes the garage (sheetrock, shelves) he will use all this stuff for a TV, surround sound (why?)and whatever else out there.

When the garage is finished, and all his stuff put up, the rest is out of here. It is probably outdated anyway.

What is it with men and their wires?

Shortbird

Tackling the junk room

And those wires are always the wrong length…

Seriously, folks, the hi fi and TV surround sound set up was on the short side of the living room rectangle. And then on the long side. And now, it’s back to the short side again. I’m sure that cables have been remade every time, even though you would think they would still fit.

Lucy, all the best. A virtual cup of what cheers you is waiting here when you need it.

Shortbird

Tackling the junk room

Oh, by the way, Sky, surround sound is great fun after it’s been set up… Although I wouldn’t miss it if it had to go.

Tackling the junk room

Lucy — seems like you have a good plan, and great job on winning over the DH!

I think grouping is useful — at least it has been for me. When you can see EXACTLY how many things you have it makes it easier to let the duplicates go. Have one extra power cord or mouse is perhaps prudent — having 20 is silly.

I have found that my ideas of categories change as I go through a mess, so I would recommend flexibility. If you have a computer recycling event next month I would make that stuff my priority — you certainly don’t want to reach the point where you are ready to move and have to PAY someone to take that stuff off your hands!

When dealing with DH’s stuff (or stuff he deals are his primary responsibility) I found it helpful to do as much pre-sorting as possible. The more opportunities he had to touch a thing the stronger his attachment to it grew.

Having broad categories of stuff that YOU can toss also helps. For example, DH got it into his head that he needs to keep old copies of income tax software in case we are ever audited. Of course, he wants to keep it way beyond the point that an audit is possible — we have tax software going back 20 years. I convinced him I could throw out the packaging and the manuals and just keep the disks, which all fit in a smallish binder (instead of the entire shelf they used to occupy.)

I gather from what you said that the printouts are of Internet groups? What a nightmare! He’s looking for group remnants that may want hard copies? I’d set a deadline. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

ElFish1

Tackling the junk room

Lucy, my husband is hesitant to get rid of things too, especially electronics equipment. What I found did NOT work was putting items in a box and asking him to go through them. What does work is separating items into the categories I think they belong in — throw away, give away, keep. Then I tell him what I’ve done and give him the opportunity to go through the boxes and change them in any way he wants to. Then we usually both take a trip together to the Goodwill store to drop off the give aways.

This worked out to be a non-confrontational way for us to work through some of our decluttering. I also don’t worry anymore about finding just the right home for something I’m getting rid of because that means it usually ends up sitting somewhere taking up space for months. If I’m not throwing it away or keeping it, it goes to Goodwill, and as soon as I have even a box or two it’s time to get it out of the house.

My other suggestion is for you to set up a sorting area in the room you’re clearing out. Mine is a big folding table like you’d use for a garage sale. When the table gets full of things I need to go through, I take time and go through all of it and sort, toss and give away. I have a problem with having things stacked all over the floor, so *nothing* goes on the floor, it all goes on the table. I sort my items into tall laundry baskets that live under the table. When those laundry baskets are empty I stack them for the next project.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

I knew you wouldn’t let me down. *grin*

@chacha I have grabbed your categories and put them straight into my Evernote page for this; bless you!

@smallLife The room is a bedroom in the basement, which is how it’s gone without remark for so long: as we’re probably moving in the next six months, cleaning it out and possibly replacing the flooring is the extent of redecorating.

@everyone else This goes back to identity: once upon a time DH was a network engineer; wrote books on the subject, stayed up all night sorting out tetchy servers — then one day he was asked to become an instructor, and found out he liked that much better: it meant regular sleep! Soon he was the head of the instructor program for a Large Software Company, and that was even more fun.

He knows that he doesn’t really need all the software and the equipment; he’s not actively coding or testing any more, and as it is most of the gear in the house is ancient: newest things are a Wacom tablet and a 2TB external hard drive. He’s gone so far as to say that when we move, we should get rid of everything but our laptops and the hard drives, and pick up an all-in-one that would allow for a little tinkering.

But this is proof that he’s not who he was, and he’s really taking it hard. I’m hoping that making a start will convince him that who he is now and who he can be are wonderful people, and they need room to be who they are.

Am I babbling now? It feels like it. I’ma go sort some stuff.

pkilmain

Tackling the junk room

Ah – the evidence of prior learning. πŸ™‚ I know how he feels. I was an IT Tech and then an instructor. I gave up both to be a librarian (or rather to work as one as I had done the studies/degree previously) but I held on to the stuff from those times for far too long. They finally left in the initial purge of my home office – but it was more than 10 years since I’d used them.

Irulan

Tackling the junk room

You’re making a ton of sense, Lucy! I don’t have a category to add, but a small rule-of-thumb for discarding that my husband seems to like. Any hardware or software that is “to keep” must be compatible with the tech already in use at our home, or must fill an immediate defined need (e.g., he built up a spare desktop for streaming Netflix; we’re modifying an old monitor into a TV). Everything else goes to the municipal electronics recycling center.

chacha1

Tackling the junk room

Glad we could be helpful, Lucy! I think your penultimate paragraph is beautiful … show it to DH and he will understand that you “get it” and he may feel comforted.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

I pointed him at this thread. After he read it, there was a brief but heartfelt moment in which I would have applied the nearest heavy object to the side of his head as he proceeded (his words!) to make my point for me re: “but this is who I am!” statements.

But I persisted, because I love him and I’m trying to be better about confronting problems: when I explained again about recognizing the loss but wanting to make room for who he is now, he stopped and said “Oh. I hadn’t thought of it like that. That — will make this much easier for me. I’m overwhelmed by my stuff and — most spouses wouldn’t do that.”

Of course, being big old geeks, the only appropriate response was a Firefly quote lest things get too serious, but we now have the recycling event next month on the calenders as a firm goal. I think the room will be empty then.

Have I told you today how wonderful you are? You’re wonderful. Thank you for the encouragement. ETA: he gave me explicit permission to tell you how he reacted: you gotta love someone who owns their behavior.

Parsifal

Tackling the junk room

I’m a techie who used to keep at least one of every old piece of technology. Some were for spare parts, others to sell ‘one day’ and not a few actually had sentimental value! I finally started getting rid of the computer clutter before my last move and was able to turn probably $3000 (retail) of very old pieces and parts into over $400 cash. Not only that, I had over 100 lbs less of stuff to move and after two years I haven’t missed a single thing I got rid of*

I’d encourage every geek to get rid of old tools, software and components as soon as they are replaced. Not only will you save space, but the extra cash from selling or trading them while they still have value will more than pay for the few you might actually need to reacquire.

*I did lose a 1980s video game manual I’ll probably never be able to replace, but it shouldn’t have been in that stack of stuff in the first place. If the closet had been less cluttered, I probably would have realized that!

P.S. Those cables always seem to be the worst. I finally delved into my cable box one day and was able to isolate over a dozen power adapters that didn’t seem to go to ANYTHING I still had!

Irulan

Tackling the junk room

I’m convinced that cables will breed if you leave them in alone the box for too long!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

I’m off for another round: there’s actually a one-day drop-off this Thursday, and if I can get even a few boxes out, it will hopefully encourage forward momentum. If I’m not back by tonight, send a rescue team . . . .

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

A huge hurtle has been overcome! The curator of the museum at DH’s Former Employer has said that they don’t want any of the years of old software and related publications that are in the room, and that means I get to chuck it! I picked up two Sterilite tubs and a plastic file box at the thrift store today: the personal items are going in the file box, the publications into one tub to be emptied into the recycling bin nightly until full, and the software into the other tub to await the next electronics drop-off.

AND! DH volunteered the idea that he could scan most of the photos and clippings that will be in that file box, and toss them afterward. We may get through this without tears and/or bloodshed!

20% of the room has been cleared in a week.

Tackling the junk room

lucy, that is FANTASTIC news. It’s good to hear about a project that’s going more smoothly than anticipated.

Rosa

Tackling the junk room

Lucy, YIPPEEE!

A friend of mine is moving. Her husband was a sysadmin. He is not even in the business anymore. She took so much computer equipment to the toxic waste dropoff, they suspected she was dumping business waste and started questioning her very closely.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Rosa: I’m planning on spreading it out amongst my son and his friends.

I’m going back to the thrift store today for the huge bin I saw yesterday: it didn’t have a lid, but it’ll do to haul all the cables.

ninakk

Tackling the junk room

That is excellent news! It really is everything to have the partner on board. Good luck and might I dare wish you “Have fun” as well? It might be since your DH is so supportive.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Today will be fun! I coaxed him downstairs and pointed at all the empty component boxes we’d been keeping (why? In case we needed to return something. Some of those boxes are for parts to systems we don’t even own any more); he said they can go and then noticed two machines in a corner. “Hey, those aren’t even ours! They belong to Former Employer; I used them for testing!”

He snapped photos of the asset tags with his phone and sent them to his ex-boss, saying “These are ancient: you want they should go to the recycling event or come back down to you? Either way, they are leaving my house.”

His job for today is going through a container of audio cassettes of classical music. I know for a fact that container has not been opened in 10 years, and he’s promised to only keep things that he can’t find on-line, and then to take them to my brother’s this weekend and rip them to .mp3s.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

The recycling bin (90 US gallon container) is full. I think the final count was 20 boxes, with assorted bits of plastic and user instructions, rendered into separate components and tossed. DS came downstairs and took things apart as I hauled them out of the room, then gleefully helped me carry it all outside and did a dance with me on the patio.

Just took some Benadryl. I need a shower, and more bins. And maybe a nap.

inga

Tackling the junk room

Congrats Lucy, you’re making good progress. I bet it feels awesome πŸ˜€

djk

Tackling the junk room

excellent news Lucy! congratulations!

Secret Squirre, that is some dedication to haul things away by bike! impressive, and probably feels fantastic

bandicoot

Tackling the junk room

lucy and secret squirrel….you guys are rocking the decluttering!
    it is wonderful just reading about it.

ninakk

Tackling the junk room

You took the words out of my mouth, bandicoot!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

I am bowing to Secret Squirrel’s DH: I have visual and physical impairments that prevent my riding a bike, so I am in awe of anyone who can balance AND haul things!

Today’s Unclutterer flashback on dealing with awards led to:

“Hey, I was thinking about the box of bowling trophies your mom sent out: if I took photos of them, would you be all right with them going to the local trophy shop for reuse by the junior bowling leagues?”

“That sounds like a good idea.”

You guys, I am thinking I need to get out my flamethrower and check the basement for pods; I’m not sure this is the same man I married.

There is now enough room to set up a table for sorting; today I should be able to move four containers of cables and components and two machines into the first room of the basement, nearest the door. If I get the trophies photographed, they can go out tomorrow.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Mental landmine, crap. I got through two boxes and found my genealogy files, but they date from the time of my first marriage, and my ex’s name and my former married name are all over them. (I also used to be LDS, so there are church-related things all over them as well.)

I have stopped for today; as soon as I find a decent genealogy program that isn’t LDS, I’ll transfer all the information and then shred the paper copies.

There was one cute discovery: a newspaper clipping of me and my great-great grandmother. I’m 1 1/2 and voluntarily wearing a dress. DH is looking forward to scanning it and cleaning it up enough to frame. He has an evil streak. *grin*

pkilmain

Tackling the junk room

SecretSquirrel – my DH and his buddy are going caribou hunting on their bicycles! They will drive to the hunting area (about 150 miles from here) and camp, then go “off-road” on their bikes. They have trailers so they can move any animals back to the camp. They did a trial run a few weeks ago and have found a place that the riding is not too difficult. He’s also been doing 30 mile rides around here to get in shape.

and please, I don’t want to hear any anti-hunting tirades. We live in Alaska, these are sanctioned hunts, and we eat what we get; we’re not after trophies to mount and display (which I totally disagree with).

EraserGirl

Tackling the junk room

i applaud your gumption!! i would sort computer related from non computer related, then toss nearly everything computer related away. unless you are still using it or need it as part of your occupation…you don’t need to store any of it.

i started a test a couple of years ago…for the last 3 years i have always bought the manuals and extras to go with any software. through various decluttering i have culled the manuals down to just software i still own and use. and they are on one shelf…and in 3 years i haven’t opened one of them. So any software or hardware for that manner doesn’t actually NEED a paper manual taking up space. if i need the reinstall disc that’s all i keep, everything gets pitched. i have all those discs and any reg cards etc..in one plastic container on the closet shelf. done and dusted. as for old devices and cables. put em in a box on the curb, they will last about 10 minutes.

chacha1

Tackling the junk room

Amazing progress logged of late. Before long, lucy’s junk room will need a new name. What’ll it be?

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

How ’bout “the room Lucy vacuumed”?

I am so very tired, but as of tonight, the boxes are arranged around the perimeter of the room — not stacked on each other — and the floor’s clean. I won’t tell you how long it’s been since I’ve been able to vacuum in there, as it is a deeply embarrassing number.

DH came downstairs to ask me something and nearly fell over in shock. The cats have been in and out, looking confused at first, then jumping on top of the lidded boxes and onto the sorting table.

Where’s a good place to park a few photos? I’ve been taking them once a week.

lottielot

Tackling the junk room

How about ‘Lucy’s uncluttered haven of tranquility’? There’s a flickr group somewhere for photos.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

I don’t know how tranquil it can be with tan tiles on the wall and orange carpet (’70s remodelers, represent!), but right now I will settle for clean and organized. πŸ™‚

Yesterday I counted: including the things in the closet (there’s a title for a children’s book for you), there are 15 boxes left to sort. Then DH can join me and we’ll go through what remains: there are two boxes of personal items (yearbooks, photos — we found his pinewood derby cars!), several boxes of audio cassettes (yep, found more), and then the software and publications, and I’m prepared to bet cookies that 90% of that will go straight into the recycling bin or the Technotrash can.

chacha1

Tackling the junk room

I think lucy1965 may win the 2011 Uncluttering Academy Award!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

We are now down to 7 boxes. Is it normal to be on the verge of tears when the end is in sight? Honestly, I’ve been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to work out why I feel like crying. This isn’t even my stuff!

ETA: 6 boxes, and now I have a reason. More personal paperwork. Oh, good, now I can have my cry and then go shred things.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

5 boxes left; two went out to the thrift store, one box of 5.25″ discs was dropped at Best Buy.

Since they offer free recycling and a TechnoTrash can is $60, I think I’ll divide the discs into smaller boxes and drop one at Best Buy every couple of weeks; this will also use up the small cardboard boxes floating around the main room in the basement.

We filled three 13-gallon trash bags with shredded paper in three days. No more is happening down there until the pick-up on Tuesday.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Room’s done.

Well, my part of it, anyway. It’s up to DH now.

I was all excited at first, but — I was expecting more praise from the guys, honestly. It’s something of a letdown.

(The bin is half full, again.)

rutheverhart

Tackling the junk room

@Lucy, you did great! When that room is available for some other use, it will gradually sink in to the guys that this was a great thing to do.

Rosa

Tackling the junk room

Lucy, you did amazing work. And your guys are probably still adjusting to the change, but I’m sorry you didn’t get the praise you deserve.

jbeany

Tackling the junk room

Great job, lucy!

Zora

Tackling the junk room

Three cheers for Lucy! We haven’t even SEEN the job but, having been through our own uncluttering programs, we know just how hard it must have been — not just physically, but emotionally, dealing with family dynamics. Big hug!

bandicoot

Tackling the junk room

lucy, what AWESOME progress!
    congratulations and more congratulations.

flickr page is here and please feel free to add anything you like: http://www.flickr.com/groups/declutteringbeforeafter/

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Thanks, folks. The cheering really did help (and I’m sorry I didn’t get back sooner, but I’ve got a cold coming on).

DH did say later that he was very impressed, but he’s one of those Scottish/Norwegian Minnesotans and they don’t tend to bounce when excited. *sigh* Oh, well, I knew what was in the package when I signed for it.

I’ll go downstairs now and get a couple of photos, then upload them. Thanks for the link, bandicoot!

Swede

Tackling the junk room

A lot of the times people go blind to the stuff so they prob do not realise how MUCH stuff there really was. Pat yourself on the back, you did an amazing job! I’m sending a gold star (the way our teachers did in our grammar books when we did good) all the way from Sweden. πŸ™‚

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Photos are up; I’m not, I’m in bed. But you can see where I started.

Tackling the junk room

Lucy: AMAZING!!!!!

JuliaJayne

Tackling the junk room

Lucy, that is fantastic!

bandicoot

Tackling the junk room

IMPRESSIVE!!
    my jaw fell open!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

It’s hard to take a good picture on a phone, but I’m glad I managed to get them posted at all, so yay me! And yay for DH not being embarrassed to let other people see where we started; I’m so proud of him, you lot, I don’t even have words.

The effect seems to be spreading, too! I cleaned off a shelf in the office space that held publications from Former Employer: based on the layer of dust I took off first (a quarter-inch. No, I did not make that up; I grabbed a seam gauge and checked. And did I mention eeeeeeeeeewwwwww?), those will be in the recycling bin sometime next week. Meanwhile, there is a completely empty shelf! And I grabbed random electronic bits and bobs that were loitering on other shelves and put them in a banker’s box for purposes of “cat vacuuming”, so two more are greatly reduced.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Final count: seven boxes, one bag of old batteries, one compact fluorescent bulb. I queued for half an hour at the collection event; the guys who helped me unload said it had been like this since 7 this morning, and when I drove out the line was past the entrance to the park and making its way down a major arterial road!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Wow, three weeks goes quickly!

Yesterday: four file boxes of software and a huge plastic container of publications, of which all but a handful of discs and papers wound up in the recycling bin or the TechnoTrash can. We took a kitchen timer, his phone and the minispeaker down with us, and worked through in 15-minute blocks with the occasional assistance of the cats.

Today I might suggest another round, as the recycling bin’s not even half full after I broke down the cardboard boxes (when he objected, I showed him the dust and bugs inside the empty boxes — after that, he helped. *grin*).

I’ve just done a quick count: we’re down to a bunch of individually boxed software, two CD storage drawers, one cardboard box of CDs and two 54-quart Sterilite totes. My goal is to get the software and cables that aren’t currently in use in the Fortress of Solitude into one of those totes, with the other for personal papers. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I’m beginning to let myself hope.

djk

Tackling the junk room

woohoo! you are really on a roll, lucy!

chacha1

Tackling the junk room

Hey Lucy1965, you are doing amazing things. Have you done a feet-of-space assessment? I’ll bet you have gone from available floor space of about 100 SF max to at least three times that.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Thanks, djk!

chacha, my chacha — how do I do that? Is it different from taking the room measurements and then blocking out the area where the remaining boxes live?

We may have additional incentive: DH’s friend from Edinburgh will be here with his wife on the 30th, and they’re going to sit down and have a formal discussion about the possibilities of relocating us. If that happens, I imagine things will go flying out of the house — but the e-mail as worded didn’t fill me with confidence, and I’m still growling about being asked to show his wife around the city while they talk.

chacha1

Tackling the junk room

LOL no kidding! Like the two of you shouldn’t be in on that conversation! Grrrrr.

Measurements … you know, that is probably just one of my freakish OCD things, I measure stuff. πŸ™‚ But yeah, it’s basically just measure the room from wall to wall, then measure the bits occupied by stuff. Undoubtedly, unnecessary!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

The guy’s old money, but you’d think having three daughters would have drummed some of the old biases out of him. *rolls eyes*

I might do it anyway, for curiosity’s sake. *grin*

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

*bouncing* The recycling bin’s empty, let’s go downstairs and toss stuff! *bounces more*

I am getting a little ridiculous. But it’s exciting! The last two old computers go away on Thursday!

(And we could never afford this place, but OMG the views! I am having one of my ST:TNG longings, wanting to put all my physical belongings into replicator storage, get on a plane and fly over with just my bag, then replicate them at the other end when I need them. I am obviously well past ridiculous today.)

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

I can do chacha’s idea today. Wanna know why?

‘Cause DH, at loose ends, did the last of the boxes from Former Employer. The “stuff that’s made it through to the second round” is now in the two Sterilite totes. The software being disposed of now fills four banker’s boxes and a very large plastic underbed storage bin. By the time I get all the cardboard and manuals out, I’m sure the recycling bin will be — sing it with me, I know you all know the words by now! — full again.

That leaves five boxes and a trunk, all personal items.

We are going out to eat; he’s earned it.

chacha1

Tackling the junk room

Awesome!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

We realized today that this leaves the garage and the Fortress of Solitude as the last two difficult places in the house. The garage we’ll handle by separating out my small garden tools and the prettiest of the pots, then inviting the neighbors to help themselves. Anything left will go on the curb or off to the Reuse facility.

The Fortress — I think he’s feeling inspired, now, and it won’t be as much of a struggle.

He found his first set of Hitchhiker’s discs in the bottom of one of the boxes. He’s only been looking for them for about 10 years. *snerks quietly* And all of the Monty Python’s Flying Circus series discs were in one of the binders, while the actual cases are upstairs in the family room: he took them on the road with him when he was traveling for work . . . oh, that’s about 6 years ago, now. As we haven’t missed them in the interum, I will make a gentle suggestion about their joining the pile for the next round of “DVD Cleanout.”

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

A box of 3.5″ discs turned up in the cold storage! Into the TechnoTrash they go; the author copies of DH’s last book are now in the — I still need a name for it. The former junk room.

DH has cleared off two small bookcases in the FoS and moved them to DS’s storage room. I’m going to shift what’s left in there that’s ours into the FJR, or up to the closet in our room, in the case of the suitcases.

bandicoot

Tackling the junk room

you are FLYING!
    it must feel so light and marvellous!

“the fortress of solitude” cracked me up completely πŸ™‚

Swede

Tackling the junk room

The fortress of solitude cracked me up as well. Nice name. Haha.

And I am well impressed with all the stuff you are getting done! You are such an inspiration. Rock on! πŸ™‚

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

*blushing*

JuliaJayne

Tackling the junk room

And your husband is flying too!

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

ANOTHER box of old software in the cold storage. We’re up to five banker’s boxes now. And he says that there’s MORE in the big trunk I thought held personal papers!

It’s okay, I don’t need to freak out — we’re finding it, we’re getting rid of 95% of it, moving is going to be a snap. The trunk gets cleaned out, the personal stuff goes in there, this is not a crisis.

(Where the hell is it all coming from????? Okay, back to calm . . . .)

OH! That’s the other thing I wanted to share with people: yesterday we talked about what we’d like out of the next place. When we married, I had these ideas about what was needed to set up house when children were involved; most of my adult life (I was first pregnant at 19; I’m 46 now) has been spent meeting other people’s needs in a home. This time I want to meet mine — and DH’s, but his take is pretty much “as long as you’re there and I can access the Internet, I’m good.”

After a surprisingly unfraught discussion, the only furniture we want to take with us is our bed, my dressing table and chair (an early ’20s burl maple piece from a long-ago estate sale), his desk and chair, a console table from the turn of the last century that my grandparents left me, the big Ikea Markor bookcase, and a leather ottoman: we’ll buy barstools and a couple of Kivik chaises when we get where we’re going. If we wind up going overseas, we won’t even take that much.

It is, as bandicoot said, “light and marvellous” to reach this point. Getting rid of the extra furniture will be its own battle, but we’re not there yet. Still plenty to deal with around the edges . . . .

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

Nothing has happened for a month? Wow!

Cross your fingers, girls and boys: I may have found a local place that offers secure data destruction to take the discs (I will take a picture with the phone in the camera later). There’s still one more potential hidey-hole of software left, and if things are fairly calm we’ll get it dealt with this weekend, then drive the lot out to the site and do a dance in their parking lot.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

I’ve already heard back; they’ve said they’ll be happy to take the discs and sent me a Certificate of Destruction request form: all I have to do is fill it out and bring it with me when we take the discs to them! And it’s FREE!

bandicoot

Tackling the junk room

well, how good is that?
    free, to boot!
    that room must be empty enough to rollerskate in.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

*flops down*

In the course of returning DS’s BB pistol to him (“I wondered where that wound up!”), the last container of software (a large lockable trunk) was cleaned out. With the exception of the aforementioned BB pistol and 10 discs, everything else wound up in either the recycling bin or the e-waste pile; the trunk has been repurposed for DH’s personal papers, which we will start on this weekend.

I’ll get a photo, yes. The final total of software to be recycled works out to about 9 bankers’ boxes worth of discs, ranging from 5.25″ floppies to data cassettes to DVDs.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

As promised, a photo: apparently I was so bouncily excited over emptying the trunk that my numeracy was jarred loose. It’s more like 7 boxes.

Swede

Tackling the junk room

Seven is still A LOT! Yay Lucy!

Zora

Tackling the junk room

Go Lucy!

pkilmain

Tackling the junk room

Wow, Lucy, that’s an impressive amount of discs! I remember when I was working and we were relocating stuff (either adding or subtracting space in the office, we did both several times over the 20 years I worked there) and we came upon a huge box full of 8″ floppy disks! Yikes, even then they were many years obsolete. Fortunately it was a law office, and we contracted a shredding company anyway, so they shredded them along with our regular stuff. They had semi-soft cases as opposed to the 3.5″ ones that came along later, so easy for a monster shredder to digest.

lucy1965

Tackling the junk room

THEY’RE OUT THEY’RE OUT THEY’RE OUT THEY’RE OUT THEY’RE OUT

Just home from the drive out to the industrial zone by the airport; two very pleasant men helped me unload the boxes, gave me a tracking number and receipt, and the Certificate of Destruction will be here next week.

I think I deserve a cupcake.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.