Home Forums Time Management and Productivity Household Chores Swiffer-like duster?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Zora

The supply of Swiffer dust wipes that my summer houseguest left behind her is gone, and the Swiffer handle is starting to fall apart, after only a few months of use. I’d like to replace the Swiffer with something sturdier, with covers I can wash and reuse.

I live in Hawai’i. What can I buy that will do the job without costing the earth? I accept that I may have to mail-order it.

Swiffer-like duster?

Rubbermaid has one that looks much sturdier than the swiffer and has washable pads that can be reused:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YHF4AC/

meghank
    Participant

Swiffer-like duster?

Just get a real dust mop. You can then wash the head if you like and it works just as well as a swiffer. They cost maybe 5 bucks

luxcat

Swiffer-like duster?

I safety pin a microfiber cloth (also used for other tasks, I keep about 5 around) to my sponge mop. Makes the sponge mop a multi-tasker.

irishbell

Swiffer-like duster?

I’ll add o’cedar to the list of makers of dust mops with washable microfiber pads.
    I use an almond oil type thing to clean and shine my hardwood floors.
    Looks great AND smells great!

bandicoot

Swiffer-like duster?

i’ve got SABCO mop from the supermarket (aka dead cheap)….every couple of years or so, i buy a new microfibre pad for it (again, not an expensive refill).
    day to day it washes up like new and works really well without any floor cleaning products.

Zora

Swiffer-like duster?

I did some online research. I’m going to see if I can find the 0’Cedar hardwood floor dust mop locally. Apparently it uses the same tech as the Vileda system that is said to be quite popular in Canada. Plus I can order extra pads online for only $6 apiece.

I want pads and not fluffy fringy covers.

In the meantime, my roommate (he’s a sweetie!) bought two month’s worth of Swiffer dust wipes for $10 at Costco, so I have two months to come up with an alternative.

pkilmain

Swiffer-like duster?

Zora – happy to hear you have a roommate again.

bandicoot

Swiffer-like duster?

ditto what pkilmain said!

Zora

Swiffer-like duster?

He’s smart, he’s gay, he’s employed and solvent, he washes his dishes, he cleans up after himself in the bathroom — and we enjoy talking to each other.

bandicoot

Swiffer-like duster?

could he be any more perfect?

it’s great living with somebody you can really get along with.
    makes home so much more…home.

Periwinkle

Swiffer-like duster?

There’s a couple of pointers here about making reusable stuff instead of disposable: http://lifehacker.com/5850233/make-washable-swiffer-wetjet-pads-out-of-socks

STLMom

Swiffer-like duster?

Flylady sells a dust mop that uses a washable pad:
    http://flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_mop.asp
    I haven’t tried this product, but I have been happy with other items I’ve purchased from the website.
    Personally, I use my old Swiffer mop with some microfiber rags that just happen to fit almost perfectly. I have learned that not all microfiber is alike — it does seem to pay off to buy the nicer, more expensive rags.

Zora

Swiffer-like duster?

Hey, that Flylady dust mop looks good. The pads are cheap too.

bandicoot

Swiffer-like duster?

i’ll second STLmom’s microfibre observation.
    there is great microfibre that lasts and lasts.
    and there is rubbish microfibre that isn’t worth the effort of carrying it home.

Mimi

Swiffer-like duster?

i did a research and found this:
    http://www.fingermop.com/ it´s from vileda (–> good quality)and i think it´s availiable in the US.

the more expensive solution is the dirt devil evo, a robot that uses swiffer pads or microfiber rags. http://www.amazon.de/Dirt-Devil-EVO-Swiffer-Wischer/dp/B0045I7FE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319467735&sr=8-1 oh i wish it was cheaper *sigh*

Zora

Swiffer-like duster?

The Fingermop doesn’t seem to be available in the US, only in the UK and Canada. The Dirt Devil Evo seems to be a knockoff of the Roomba (which would be fun, but which I also cannot afford).

Julia

Swiffer-like duster?

I bought a fairly generic lightweight (not much heavier than a Swiffer) mop and two microfiber, two-sided covers. I spray the cover lightly with plain water or water with a drop or two of essential oils. Has held up well in my all-wood-floor house. I think I got it at Bed Bath/Beyond or Target, but I do remember it was only $20 for the mop.

Anonymous

Swiffer-like duster?

Zora, so happy to hear you found a great roommate!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.