Home Forums Welcome Hello! Small and precious personal archive project – I need ideas

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  lifekeepshappening 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Anyone have links to threads about how to keep/present personal papers/photos etc?

These are not things to be scanned and shredded.

I have hardly anything of my childhood and teen years, so I do want to keep what I have. It’s a pitiful little mix of photos, student ID cards, scraps of paper, watercolors, sketches, art gallery postcards, collages, teen angst poems. Occasionally I enjoy looking at this dog-eared evidence that I was me and I am still me.

At the moment these pieces are in a cheapo awful photo album, a tattered and bent portfolio, a dot matrix printout of poems, and an old chocolate box of postcards. For now I plan to collate the material into a spare accordion file that I found today and ditch the old album, portfolio and box.

I made art journals a few years ago and then stopped when the paraphernalia clutter got silly. I forced myself to make a huge scrapbook for my daughter of her childhood photos.

Either format would be okay I guess for making a single little archive, but I absolutely was not a craft-store-mass-market type of teen and I’m not that person now either. I’m a bit stuck on what to do.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Tonight I’ll at least rescue the photos from the horrible sticky-page 1990’s photo album. Oh the horror!

irishbell

Small and precious personal archive project – I need ideas

A shadow box, maybe? You could put bigger items and photos in one.

OnARoll

I’d revisit the photo-album shelves, I was surprised at how much better they are today than they used to be, and cheaper.

You could get a substantial tie-with-a-ribbon leathery album, and fill it with full-sheet clear pages like you would use for 8×10 photos, and slide the memorabilia in.

If you’re feeling artsy, design ‘chapter’ pages to divide different theme areas, print them out on nice cardstock.

Anonymous

If you are casting about for ideas, try searching etsy.com and see what others have to offer.

Archival companies make boxes of many sizes to preserve paper and ephermera in the safest ways possible: http://universityproducts.com/

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!! I knew I needed to ask for ideas. I’ll research all suggestions and mull over how to collate my little pile of evidence 🙂

Klutzgrrl – I promise I’ll plop everything on my lametastic flatbed scanner for Justin Case. I wonder if photos will go through the Scansnap.

I had a good evening going through the postcards and I gave my son a set of Russian art postcards I had bought in Moscow in 1989 that he found appealing.

Looking up those awful magnetic photo albums with the sticky pages, I read that putting the page into the freezer for a few minutes, then detaching the photos with dental floss lessens the damage of peeling them off the page. Acid free from now on! I’ll photograph each album page tomorrow in daylight before I try taking it apart.

Thank you all again for great ideas and encouragement.

whoa – etsy could be a dangerous place to go if you know your paypal password by heart and don’t have Unclutterers to keep you thinking straight! I did glean a few ideas 🙂

Allison

Life, check out the photo boxes at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby if you have one. Michael’s has them super cheap when they’re on sale. I’ve seen them for as little as $1-2 a piece. These are great for storing random things that are hard to fit into any one place in particular. They also have plain shoe boxes, which would allow you to unleash your inner artist and make it your own. Ha! =)

Anonymous

Re: photos in ScanSnap. I have not had good luck with them in ScanSnap. If I remember, they didn’t feed well or scan very well. I have never mastered all the software for ScanSnap but my old bills looked a lot better than anything I could do with photos. On the other hand, I have good luck with my flatbed scanner and old pics.

Also, those Michael’s shoeboxes are not recommended for archival items since they are not acid free. You can put things in the acid-free sleeves before you store them, and that could be a solution.

Thanks Another Deb re the scansnap. I only use mine as a gadget for document scanning and you’ve safely put my mind to rest about trying to shove photos through it. There comes a point when learning yet more software seems like an utter waste of personal time. I guess I’ll stick with the old flatbed.

I’m leaning toward some sort of book as storage, whether it’s a journal or scrapbook.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.