Home Forums Vacation and Travel RV living, the true uncluttered climate

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  tmichelle 8 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

susique

20 years ago we sold our home (2000 sf) and all of the furnishings and moved into a motorhome with our teenage son and a small dog. we have great memories about traveling with hubby’s job and finally ended up in a sw state that provided us housing. we sold mh and proceeded to fill the nice two bedroom cabin with yard sale items. needless to say we soon had enough to be comfortable. when he changed jobs and we bought a (larger) home because we loved the area so much we filled it with many treasured items. comfort is primary, and efficiency also primary. we purchased a home here and how we love this area.

recently purchased a used mh and in stocking this rv, all the memories of stocking the original came to mind, realized how few items we really need. thanks to this site for keeping us motivated, when shopping we now know an item in and an item out.

we now spend six months out of the year rving.

when u live in an rv every little space counts.

Sky

RV living, the true uncluttered climate

You are so right, susique. I would love to hear your storage tips in your RV.

lottielot

It’s so true, part of the reason why I love camping, minimal stuff so minimal work πŸ™‚ I have a fantasy of running away from my family and living on a canal boat…

susique

@ sky: don’t have any great secrets, just keep things put away and live simply. in fact i believe it was rv living that taught me to make do with fewer things. having to rid the entire home of furniture, personal items and deciding what to take. stocked the rv with the best of what we owned instead of saving for “one day”.

one handy thing we did was to attach a basket over the main door to store items needed when going out: pet’s leash, flashlight, binoculars etc.

Anonymous

We spent the summer living out of a pickup with a low-profile camper shell. It was such fun to develop our system. DH built a sleeping platform with hinged access doors to the storage below. I made long, narrow curtains that stayed in place with Velcro and when the curtains were in use, their storage bag velcro-s onto the wall for eyeglasses and tissue storage.

Underneath the sleeping platform, DH designed storage custom-built for the containers we used for cookware and food storage as well as the camp chairs, low concert chairs and portable table. Once we knew the space, we could make decisions on what cookware and how much food to bring, helping us decide how long we could be away from the grocery stores.

My favorite find was laundry soap/softener/dryer sheets all in one dry sheet. I didn’t have to deal with storing all those separate messy products. <http://www.purex.com/products/purex-3-in-1/product-performance&#062; A sheet could be stored with the clothes in the mesh dirty clothes bag.

Our other favorite purchase was a fast-folding canopy that can be erected over a picnic table. It fits on the roof rack exactly between the bicycles when traveling. <http://www.amazon.com/Green-Foldable-Portable-Carrying-Included/dp/B000XHWW10&#062; (on sale everywhere after the 4th of July)

Travel companions were impressed at how slick the system was and by the end of the summer we were like a well-oiled machine when it came to setting up and breaking down the camp. I even had a system of hanging beach towels between the “bookend” cab doors of the truck that served as a changing room. (Ever try changing clothes while laying 15 inches away from the ceiling?)

Everything served multiple purposes. The map bag became a grocery bag while at the store. The ice chest was spare seating at camp. Pillows cushioned items during travel. Binder clips served numerous purposes holding clothing, paperwork, tablecloths, windscreens. Only the guitar was a unitasker… πŸ™‚

pkilmain

Sounds great Another Deb. We have a similar set up with our truck, but about 2.5 weeks is the longest we’ve gone at a stretch. Thaanks for the links, I’ll be looking at these as we’re hoping to do a longer trip next summer. I totally understand the “dressing on your back” and my plan is usually to use an outhouse/restroom. πŸ™‚ We have fashioned hammocks that hang down each side of the shell. They hold glasses,kleenex, books, and anything else we want access to at night. When DH travels alone, mine holds his fishing rods!

Claycat

Susique, have you ever seen a movie from the 80s called Bagdad Cafe? It was a sleeper that is a great movie! Jack Palance is in it and he lives in a beautiful old Airstream in the desert near the cafe. His life really appealed to me. If you haven’t seen it, be sure to do so! πŸ™‚

ninakk

I love that movie, Claycat, and have watched it so many times. It’s amazing how there’s so much anger in one little woman in the beginning, then when the German arrives everything starts to change.

Rosa

Susique, I was going to post about this today – we just got back from visiting my folks, who have been full-timing for about 4 years now. And while we were there my mom pulled out a whole garbage back of stuff for Goodwill! She’s still continually decluttering.

tmichelle

I’d LOVE to live full-time in an RV. Does anyone know of any jobs that can be done on the road RV-ing? Jobs that would help pay off $90,000 in student loans?

pkilmain

Well, the only one I came up with off the top of my head is volunteer campground hosts – oops, that doesn’t pay the bills, does it? πŸ™‚ Telecommuting is awkward unless you research your internet connections really well, and often they do want to see your smiling face occasionally.

Rosa

I’ve worked from home a few years, and we often have colleagues who are RVers – but it does mean really checking the internet situation. It seems like at least in the southwest a lot of camps don’t have internet because they’re too close to military bases or too far from everything else.

tmichelle

Thanks for the thoughts, these stupid student loans, if only we could declutter these.

Sky

A friend of mine works at home for triple A (AAA) on her phone and computer. It could be done from anywhere. Most catalog mail orders are answered from an individuals home too. So why not in a RV? The pay is okay and she has no job expensives except her phone and computer which she would have anyway.

I love the thought and freedom of living in a RV. Not sure I could deal with the tiny bathroom and no washer and dryer for too long though.

Claycat

Ninakk, I loved how the friendship developed between the two women. That has become one of my absolute favorite movies!

susique

actually pkilmain: volunteering does pay the bills. many state parks give free space (which includes electricity and park hosts get installed sewer so no moving requiring). the benefit is that parks will allow moving from one park to another. all that is required is maintaining park grounds, having a “host” sign in front which could mean an occasional knock on the door. also riding along with park rangers when they collect, or manning the pay booth. that is how we came to this area. lots of northerners come to the south and work in state parks.

susique

also did not mention, some animal reserves, having homes for dogs and cats have areas for residents willing to dwell there and help out.

Claycat

I had not heard about those added benefits of volunteering, susique. That’s really great!

Sky

Also, KOA campgounds employ campers seasonally. Full time RVer’s spend a few months somewhere following the good weather and work in the camp store, cleaning and other misc. work.

Rosa

Sky, my folks have ended up in a LOT of parks where there’s no internet and no cell phone. They go to town and call us from the nearest internet cafe. Some of the military bases black out wireless communications in a wide swath around them, and a lot of them are in rural areas with crappy internet anyway.

bandicoot

i have a couple of customers who live fulltime on the road.
    they are capable types who can turn their hands to a lot of things and they never seem to be out of work.
    they go to some crazily remote places and people are always screaming for staff to pull beers, make food, clean rooms, run the pub, manage the caravan park etc etc.

i also know some people who have sold their post office and are hitting the road to work as …wait for it…post office management relief!
    how clever is that?
    at present, if you have a small rural post office, you are really stuck in any kind of emergency or if you need a break.
    talk about filling a clear need.

and i am trying to talk a friend of mine into hitting the road in an RV, and working as a bed and breakfast relief person.
    he is fabulously qualified and capable, he likes frequent changes of scenery, and this would be lucrative and awesome.
    it does require a lot of initial organisation, but then i reckon word of mouth would keep him run off his feet.

as for us, we lament and keen loudly every time we go on holidays and close our sales down.
    it is difficult to find someone you can trust to look after your customers.

Claycat

Is that the friend I know about, bandicoot?

Sounds like a great idea!

bandicoot

claycat, this is INDEED the same friend!
    he’s got mad skillz, he just needs to be mobile.
    and god knows he’s got no “stuff” to tie him down anywhere anymore.

Claycat

If he likes to travel, that sounds perfect for him! πŸ™‚

juliarose

tmichelle, you should check out Location180 and Tropical MBA. These blogs (and others that they link to) are all about remote entrepreneurship. It’s inspiring to see how they’re making it work. While you’re at it, read The Simple Dollar and get to work paying down those student loans as fast as possible.

I’m in a similar boat – I would love to travel, but I have to pay off my student loans. My solution is to tough it out in the best paying job I can get (even though I no longer like it) and keep my expenses as low possible, so I can pay off those loans as quickly as possible. When that’s done, I’ll be free to do anything I want.

tmichelle

Thank you juliarose! I’m off to check those out now!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.