Home Forums Welcome Hello! Rugs…probably not decluttering related…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  J.B.C. 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

AleighJc

Is it just me or do Wool rugs let off a semi musty smell??? We’re about to get a new rug, and I’m wondering if I should try to find something cotton/chenille. Also, is it possible to take a wool rug somewhere to be cleaned? Would you take it to a drycleaner?

ninakk

Rugs…probably not decluttering related…

I don’t have any advice as I live in a house with central air-sucking out on top of the roof; it doesn’t get very humid but rather dry to an extent that air humidifiers are becoming increasingly popular here. And my floor is a hardwood type parquette, so it’s solidly dry from underneath. My dream is to take out the carpet of the living room, kitchen (have a small one at the sink) and entryway once weekly the way we used to do when growing up. No smelly carpets after they’ve been aired and “hit” with a carpet smacker! Dust has a smell though.

P.S. This topic is most certainly about decluttering, we can make anything into that. You’re interested in decluttering smell from a wool carpet 🙂

pkilmain

Wool carpets can be cleaned. Try calling a carpet cleaning service rather than a dry cleaner. We have two wool oriental carpets which have been cleaned before and they don’t smell at all, except maybe of catnip when one of our furry critters manages to open the toy…..

Susie

To me this is a decluttering topic because I’ve been eliminating rugs from my house. I still have them in several rooms but I’ve come to prefer the simple look of a bare wood or tile floor.

But to your question you can certainly have them cleaned by a carpet cleaning service.

Sky

Yes they do. I have wool rugs from Afghanistan and they will have an odor if they are the least bit damp, kind of like a wet animal. Usually places that sell rugs clean them too. They wash them on a flat surface and squeegee the water out then dry them. They also deodorize them. I take mine outside occasionally to air out. They are so beautiful they are worth the trouble to me.

ninakk

A real oriental carpet would be cleaned by chucking it in the sand; it’s so thickly woven that practically no sand goes in between the fibres. When the temperature gets below freezing, it’s also possible to first cool it down by hanging it over a carpet dusting stand, then once it has no warmth left put it on snow. It won’t freeze as there is no condensed water on the surface and if you start beating the crap out of it, dust is released from its surface. Oriental carpets shouldn’t actually be cleaned in other ways as far as I know, unless there are actual stains on them.

Ella

I had one of my wool rugs professionally cleaned. The process is very hard on the rug, and it ruined the beautiful fringe. Now that ratty fringe makes the rug look old and tatty, even though it’s clean.

Now I use Woolite “heavy traffic” rug cleaner. It’s great at cleaning and removing odors. Vacuum your rugs more often to prevent odor build-up.

pkilmain

Hmmm, we’ve had ours cleaned twice, once by the place we bought it, and once by the folks who do our wall-to-wall carpets. They still look great, fringe and all. One is 30 years old and the other about 20 years. I do vacuum them fairly often.

Smilla

We bought a silk and wool persian rug at an antique store for a bargain price. Driving home we noticed it had an odd smell. Vacuumed it, aired it, it still was very noticable. I got it professionally cleaned. In the end the cleaner didn’t charge me as it still had the ‘dead possum smell’ – his words. I was going to chuck it but my mum wanted to try to keep it as it was very lovely. She left it on a flat rack in full sun for one South Australian summer – no rain. The smell is much less. She has it inside now, but it still has a musty smell if you put your nose to it and the room smells musty if it is humid. In Adelaide that is about two days per year, so no big deal really. Sometimes cleaning just doesn’t get rid of the smell, sadly.
    I think it depends on how sensitive your nose is.

Some wool rugs just continue to smell no matter what kind of cleaning is done. In my area of California, handwoven and machine woven “Oriental” wool rugs are very common. They are usually cleaned (professionally) by specialty rug cleaners, though a lot of people clean their own rugs with rug shampoo and a rental machine or even a garden hose. The professionals use rug shampoo (or their own proprietary cleaning chemicals) and a big carpet shampooing machine, then rinse and hang the rug to dry on very large wooden structures. A softening finish (kind of like a hair conditioner) is often applied, as are soil repelling finishes.

A musty smell is often due to mildew. That smell really can’t be gotten rid of because the smell returns when the rug is wet or the humidity is high enough to encourage regrowth. If your area has high humidity, try a nylon or polyester throw rug instead.

bandicoot

i have cleaned my own rugs on the lawn with the garden hose and handmade soap.
    it worked beautifully, even on the old rugs.

chacha1

I think sun is the best way to go for a wool rug, but one must always bear in mind that natural fibers are going to smell like the critter they came from. Leather smells like cow, wool smells like sheep (or goat). The less processed the fiber is, the more “critter” you’re left with. Also, the dyes used may have distinctive and pervasive odors.

Antique rugs, in my experience, are very non-smelly. That is, old enough that they are 100% natural fiber and natural dyes. New rugs are so smelly I can hardly tolerate them. The only ones I’ve been able to live with are 100% cotton or sisal.

J.B.C.

@chacha1, good point. Must be why our nylon/ poly rug smells like petroleum…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.