Home Forums Work Remembering where you stored important papers

This topic contains 14 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Nuria_P 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

MBK

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and I was wondering–when it comes to storing important documents, I’m pretty good about labeling everything correctly and keeping it all organized. My one problem is that sometimes I’ll have a hard time remembering where in my apartment I’ve put say, tax receipts–in my main filing cabinet? In the folders in my closet?

Do you guys have any tips on remembering where you store things from year to year?

Mimi

Remembering where you stored important papers

hi mbk and welcome to the forum!
    i think (this may sound harsh but it´s not ment to be) if you can´t remember where your IMPORTANT papers are, there is just one solution: unclutter till you have your things so clear or downsized that you can remember where you put them 😉
    it´s not important where the papers are- store them in the kitchen if you like to, but just store them so that it makes sense to you. i remember karen kingston writing something like: we all can remember where we find our bed, because we have a special connection to the bed. try to have a connection to your important files and you will never have to look for them again.

irishbell

You could try storing all your important docs in your main filing cabinet. I’ve had the same problem before, different papers in different places- my only solution was to keep them all in one place, together.

Claycat

You might want to have a fire-resistant box for your very important papers.

JayEff

Open a document file or spreadsheet on your computer, and make a note to yourself where you put the papers. Save the document on your computer. Consult when necessary.

Mimi

hm, this would not be my option but as the other suggestions are more clear than my first one, i´d like to add a suggestion: maybe you could use a RED ring binder and write “IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS” on it and put it on a shelf where you can see it every day.

Julia

A few years ago my father surprised me with the toy tin refrigerator I had as a child.

I don’t really have any papers that couldn’t be replaced so I don’t have a fire-safe … um … safe — but papers I don’t want to misplace can now be found in my tin refrigerator!

chacha1

I keep current-year tax receipts in a manila envelope. Current-year statements (for utility and credit accounts, 401(k), HSA, insurance, etc) in files for each account in my filing cabinet. At the end of the year I bundle them up into a Tax Box. Tax Boxes are stashed at the far end of my closet and once a box is past the 7-year retention mark, its contents (except the actual tax returns and year-end statements) go to the shredder.

“Important” documents like birth certificate, marriage license, car title, passport – are in a file in my file cabinet. They should be in our fire-safe but are not. (I don’t know what’s in there; I don’t even know the combination. It’s kind of DH’s thing. Something to work on in 2011?) My healthcare records are also in my file cabinet.

My personal feeling is that keeping all records in one place, in the space where they are used, is necessary to keeping them organized. If you do paperwork in the den, put a filing cabinet in the den. If you do it in the kitchen, put a filing cabinet in there. Bedroom, living room, whatever – you can get a filing cabinet to match any decor and it makes MUCH more sense (to me) to put stuff where you’ll use it than to say “oh, it’s records, it has to be in the home office” if you never actually do the work in there.

And once anything is past the current year, get it out of the filing cabinet and into a storage box. That way you are only ever dealing with modern paperwork, and don’t have to dig through ancient history.

bandicoot

i agree that the key is to have ONE place for filing and everything goes in there.
    now, as to the actual sorting and organisation of the filing cabinet…..that is a whole ‘nother topic and i, for one, am all ears.

ninakk

Welcome!

I keep one year’s worth of papers in a nice-looking organizer with ten folders of heavy cardstock (bank, credit card, work, insurance, home (other than insurance) and travel, health, pet, etc. – my husband has the car stuff instead of pet). Older papers are archived in normal ringbinders according to topic and then chronologically; same system as in the ongoing year’s archive so it’s easy to just punch holes and lift from one place to the other. Physically, the one-year archive is in the office area, whereas the older stuff is tucked away in a closet on it’s highest, difficult-to-reach shelf.

The nice organizer, by the way cost, a small fortune, but I bought it about ten years ago and I still love using it. Worth every cent! It’s a bit like products by russel+hazel.

Now that there’s not many bureaucratic papers coming in the mail anymore, I save pdf’s of bank statements and such on my computer.

My weakest point, however, are the paper stuff other than bureaucratic ones. There are so many of them that I caved and created another archive that fits in a magazine holder with five categories:
    – Inbox, contains GTD “stuff” that needs to be put into one of the below or trashed
    – Bills to pay
    – Important papers, basically papers that will be archived in the yearly organizer
    – Unimportant papers, miscellaneous papers that I really don’t know where else to put…
    – Outbox, ready to be filed

Julia

Thanks to this thread, my project for today is to pull together a simple emergency/important stuff folder that will live in the only drawer in my desk.

It will contain insurance information, investment account information, SS card, living will (and actual will when I get that done.) And I still need to do a Privacy Act thing for each of my sisters, again “in Case.”

But this way if I’m in a car accident, or hospitalized for some reason, my sisters will at least have a clue.

Thanks for the nudge.

SunshineR

Emergency folders/binders/drawers can, if you wish, contain medical information such as:
    1. contact info on your medical providers
    2. current prescriptions and over-the counter supplements
    3. and your medical history.
    There are also websites on which this information may be stored and accessed in emergency situations.

This is one of the things I WILL work on – resolution for 2011

Consolidate all the important paper places into one !)

badkitti

I have a larger based one of these with all sections labelled
    http://www.valhallacards.com/images/pb-sk26709-lg.jpg

If its not in there its in one of two amagzine holders – one marked ‘to be dealt with’ (current things that can’t be filed til action is taken) and ‘to be filed’. I am not organised so the ‘to be filed’ box only gets emptied 2 or 3 times a year, but I know everything is in one of those.

Oh, and H insists on keping his car insurance etc. papers separate – so he has a drawer, and can’t blame me for missing papers 😀

Nuria_P

I have a hanging folder in my filing box labeled as “TO DO” and i keep there papers that I have to deal with. Once I have done whatever i had to do with them, i file them in their proper folder.
    I have another one labeled as “to file”, so if I am in a rush I put them there temporarily but at least they are with the papers and not around the house.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.