Home Forums Welcome Hello! Re-purposing the tins canisters that whisky bottles come in?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Christina 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

d3nial

Hi all – my first post on the forums:

I am wondering if anyone has good ideas for re-purposing the tins and canisters that whisky bottles come in. I realise it may be seen as the opposite of uncluttering, but I would like to keep some of these but also put them to a practical use? Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking that the tins are quite air-tight and would be good kitchen storage, but some of them are pressed card with tin lids.

Thanks.

Daniel

EraserGirl

Re-purposing the tins canisters that whisky bottles come in?

seriously displaying whiskey containers, whether outer containers or bottles went out with frat house living, if you can’t find a crafter to tackle them, then try to recycle them.

There is a line of thought along the ‘leave the packaging in the store’, where you leave all such unnecessary gift packaging at the store before you go home. If you have a big liquor store like mine you can add it to the pile of wine crates and liquor boxes by the door; then someone who actually wants them can help themselves.

chacha1

I have seen some interesting uses of liquor & wine packaging, including using bottles and mortar to build walls; and using metal cans or canisters (cut with metal shears) as exterior wall shingles. But generally, I’d agree that anything you can’t see through, especially anything made of paper which bugs find so delicious, doesn’t make the best repurposed storage.

So unless you’re looking to put some nice Johnnie Walker siding on your garage, these … might be clutter. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jude2004

Since I wasn’t certain what a whiskey tin was, my first thought was to refashion them into something like Oaxaca tin art (you can Google that to see examples). But then I did a Google image search for whiskey tin and saw some intriguing images of ways people have used them. If they’re that ornate and pretty, I can see why you’d want to keep them. You might also consider that there’s nothing wrong with keeping some beautiful things around (if you find them beautiful).

Julia

Oh, I know this problem! Some of the Scotch whiskey boxes I’ve bought were just lovely. Unfortunately they never seemed the right size for anything else… Still, I have a gorgeous cardboard saki box on top of my refrigerator; I think I’ve had it for nearly 10 years!

I have, on the other hand, repurposed candy and cookie tins as coin banks. Now if I can just remember to take the contents to the bank some day…

pkilmain

I see lots of these – cookies (biscuits) and popcorn come in quite decorative tins as well – at my local thrift store. The non-alcoholic ones might be apropos for giving edible gifts for the holidays, but otherwise, they are clutter to me. Though, to be fair, we once had a very large tin that popcorn came in (a vendor gift to work) and it worked terrific for a small wastebin. ๐Ÿ™‚

Greyghost

The heavy duty pressed cardboard canisters are excellent to use when packing china figures, vases or other delicate items for storage, moving or shipping. the object is carefully wrapped with a soft material then inserted into the tube. Additional material is loosely packed around it so that it doesn’t slide or shift around. Don’t pack it so tightly you risk breaking it. Put the top on the canister, and tape it. The canister can know be packed with other items in a shipping or stage container. The major advice here is to have something between the canister and the wall of the box. Can be books, magazines, clothing, material, etc. I’ve used this method to ship Royal Doultan figures overseas, and it works well. You can also do the same thing with smaller canister (small Pringles cans, for example.) I’ve used these to ship small items (glasses and handleless tea cups) when I moved from Japan back to Canada.

bandicoot

i am voting clutter too.
    or
    keep a handful of them, ready to use for things as the need arises. and put a sticky note with a date on them. and a reminder in your calender.
    if they are still being stored in six months time…turf them!

Julia

After all, if you toss them and need them afterward, look at the pleasure you’ll have in replacing them!

djk

For years I kept one that I liked, cut a slot in the lid, and used it to dump my change in at the end of the day. One can hold quite a chunk of coinage for a rainy day!

Then when full I would bring it all in and buy myself a treat.

Rosa

The shape might not be right, but I have a long narrow tube-shaped liquor tin that I use for soba noodles.

The thing is, I buy my pasta in bulk at the coop, so I actually *needed* the tin, and went looking for one (I have a “italian” decorated spaghetti tin, also). Not too many people buy bulk pasta, I think.

pkilmain

@Rosa – I have in the past bought pasta in bulk. Most of what I buy now comes packaged in cellophane which is unusable as soon as the package is open! I do have a couple of tins which I store it in. I also store rice this way. I just cut out the label from the package and tape it to the tin so I know what’s inside. Also keep the cooking instructions if they’re new to me. I do the same with the cats’ kibble (they eat 2 kinds, which look the same, so I need to know which is which).

Rosa

You’re a lot more organized than me ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to have a tins & labels system that worked fine, but then when I was on bed rest other people did the grocery shopping a lot, and it just fell apart. I never quite got it back together again, so the last year or so I gradually replaced almost everything with clear glass jars (gallon pickle jars are EXCELLENT for this) except a few specific ones – the two skinny-pasta tins are pretty visually self evident, and my flour tins escaped the de-systemizing because when I was sick nobody around here was baking.

The clear glass is supposed to not be as good for the dry goods, but it requires no labeling or other organizing, you can see right away what’s in them.

djk

I used to collect old wide-mouth mason jars for food storage and I loved the look and the functionality. But back then I had kitchen cupboards and opening the door and seeing all my dry goods looking great and ready to go inspired me. Now I have glass cannisters as well but with no cupboards to put them in, sadly! they have to live on the counter.

Just discovered a thrift store here which has old local ones with glass lids, and they look super cool but I don’t know how to get ahold of rubber rings and the detachable metal hinge system that is needed.

pkilmain

@djk – I have some of those jars! I don’t know about the metal hinges since I have all of mine, but you can buy the rubber gaskets from Amazon.

Rosa

djk, you can make those metal hinge systems with wire, snips, and a round-headed pliers.

It wants pretty stiff wire – in the past I’ve used wire hanger wire, but that’s a little *too* stiff to be perfect. And I bet you have a friend who does beadwork and has the wire shaping tools – they look like these:

http://www.how-to-make-beaded-jewelry.com/beading-tools.html

Christina
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.