Home Forums Challenges Project before/after pics and misc wip's

This topic contains 219 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  liag 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

I love seeing before/after, and work in progress project pictures. Since some are learning how to post pictures(including me). So, I started this thread to share, if you would like to add yours, join in.

empty_nester

Project before/after pics and misc wip's

Hi momwalker1966, This is an excellent idea. Over the years, I have taken several before pictures, but since I’ve never had an “after,” don’t have any yet. However, since my son volunteered to help me purge toys on my back porch (which he said we can do in one day, but I’m convinced it might take longer) I’ll take the “after” pictures and post them here.

Someone mentioned Flickr yesterday. It took me a while to join because every screen name I came up with was taken. I actually tried ‘screenname’ and it was taken. Go figure. Once I joined, I was able to upload some pictures of my cats which I posted on the thread here about pictures. I don’t have a digital camera, so getting pictures on my computer is always fun.

So gonna start out with what is typical of me. I should have been cleaning this room this morning, this floral swag was literally falling apart. So, I took it all apart and tried to “fix” it, I may have done more harm than good plus some of the pieces I just can’t get the dust off. It was so pretty back in its day….but maybe it’s time to let it go. I need “fresh eyes”. Do any of you debate over things like this? Or do you just see obviously that this should probably just be thrown away?

I see dust, and lots of it. My eyesight seems to be improving with age …

luxcat

Hi Momwalker-

Having recently moved I just had to revisit a few items like your floral swag myself. One was my wedding bouquet which I had dried, stuck in a vase, and put on a desk in the bedroom. It was a dust magnet, but one I wanted to keep for the memories. I decided to keep a few of the best-preserved buds and put them in a shadow box frame with a front panel so they can’t get dusty or knocked about.

If your swag is too far gone to be properly cleaned and survive (did you try taking it outside and hitting it with an air compressor on low setting or a can of air such as is used to clean computers?) could you take parts of it and repurpose it elsewhere? The greenery in it could easy go in another dry flower display if that’s the sort of thing you enjoy having around.

ninakk

Like ntch, my eyes are seeing dust everywhere πŸ™‚

empty_nester

Yes, I debate (myself) over things like this. I recently threw out a wall decoration (for lack of a better way to describe it) that I received as a wedding gift nearly 25 years ago. It was the same blue color as your ribbon. It hadn’t been displayed in, oh…probably 18 years….but I could never bring myself to part with it. Since it had been packed in a box, some of the little wooden flowers were broken, and the flowers were falling apart. I know it probably sounds weird, but I took a picture of it. I actually felt relieved that I threw it away.

Now I need to do the same with my cow towel holder, and accessories.

ps. I think it’s pretty, but I love eucalyptus.

Anonymous

I look at it and think of many long-departed similar arrangements. I don’t miss them now. Instead of replacing it with floral, perhaps some simpler, elegant ironwork that can give you the same flourish but in an updated way. They make half-circle decoarations, http://www.flickr.com/photos/schimonsky/4486839060/, or even decals that can add a little interest.

ninakk

I had a brief period of liking dried flowers. It ended when I discovered how much dust they collect. Now I stick with fresh-cut flowers when I can afford it and otherwise I like my two plants that I miraculously haven’t managed to kill over a couple of years. I was contemplating silk flowers to replace fresh ones, but decided against it, again due to dust. The fewer pieces I have out and about the better these days.

bandicoot

i am surrounded by garden and live without aircon….so there are no plants inside.
    like nina, i prefer fresh cut flowers…..a small indulgence.
    i would rip that dust catcher out of there in a heartbeat, and not replace it.
    my preference is for simple windows and minimal dust.

Zora

I also subscribe to simple windows and minimal dust. Less stuff, less dust. I’ve got asthma, so that’s important.

pkilmain

I would like simple windows and minimal dust, but (a) it’s light here for over 19 hours a day, so it’s easier to sleep with curtains drawn and (b) we live near a river with a a bed full of glacial loess (a very fine gray soil) and we live on a gravel road full of lots of the same, and we have lots of wind. Result, lots of fine soil on all my window sills and other surfaces. Sigh. It really is pretty here though. πŸ™‚

This is taken from the train.

The beautiful gift basket (Christmas). The old me would have hated to have tore into this. I would have dusted under it, and even tried to have kept the wrapping clean, and it would have sit here on the speaker for no telling how long. Not anymore, now that I have tried to learn to actually get things done and how. I took a picture(suggestion for one of my unclutterer friends)

Got my trashcan, put all the goodies less their packaging and put on hubby’s sidetable, bottles in stockroom.

Love those quick but productive projects

pkilmain- that’s beautiful! Our winter was so mild this year, we had no snow. Not only do I deal with dust but the pollen is really bad and spiders too right now..

bandicoot

very nice!
    i am of the tear-into-it-immediately camp when it comes to gift baskets.
    after a photo shoot, of course!

pkilmain….glorious.
    i would tolerate a little dust for that scenery too.

Zora

I wouldn’t call ALL curtains fussy. Not if they can easily be taken down and washed. Elaborate swags of brocade that must be draped just so, and must be dry-cleaned … that I wouldn’t do. Not unless I were rich and had a housekeeper to take care of the dusting and periodic dry cleaning πŸ™‚

Claycat

Momwalker, your room looks warm and inviting! πŸ™‚

irishbell

Loving the photos people, keep ’em coming!

chacha1

definitely: the floral swag has to go.

the gift basket: would not have survived a week in our house.

Playroom #2(weekend project)
    I keep kids in my home m-f, this room takes a lot of daily abuse.

Washed the walls, touched up some of the wall rough places, cleaned window-blind-curtain, went thru toys, cleaned carpet, replaced light fixture, painted the entry door.

Relocated the hanging supply basket

Had to replace damaged slats in laundry room door

Added new wall stickers

Getting better at maintaining those “hot spots”. The relocated supply basket-in another corner, not the first thing you see coming in the door now. This is another one of those just a few minutes makes a difference in keeping these spots not get completely out of control.

My 1st initial purge July of 2011

after….

May 2012. I now try to be more mindful of what goes in this basket, and clean it out more often, so it doesn’t seem so out of control.

Now that I have put it in another corner(after this pic was taken) and keep needed supplies down to a minimum, it’s not near as distracting to look at but I can actually get to the things I need quicker and easier.

Update on my “dust magnet” floral swag. It’s outta here(ta-da), except for the bow. I figured that I would do a whole window cleaning….washed the blind but in the process of cleaning the window discovered large wasp nest between the glass. Husband will have to get that taken care of. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips…I want to try to find one of the iron decorations to put up there that Another Deb suggested. I don’t want to get in a hurry because that empty space is looking better and better.

Rare day off for me. Huge stack of newspapers to the new recycling drop-off. Since this one is much closer, they shouldn’t pile up this bad. This room is my next big project. I want to make it a nice guest room before it becomes a full-blown junk room.

clutterbug22

What an interesting thread, it’s fun looking at everyone’s pics!

MomWalker, That’s certainly a pile and a half of paper! Were the Walgreen’s bags full of them as well?

P.S. Nice collection of daggers on the floor!! πŸ˜‰

Swede

@clutterbug – I had totally missed the daggers, thanks for pointing them out! πŸ˜‰

That’s a lot of newspaper. Bet you felt good when you dropped them off! Woo hoo!

Does everyone not have misc daggers laying around their house? (ha,ha). This is the room my son moved out of, and those are his to go into storage. As you can tell if I don’t do something with this room soon it will be another junk room. I have picked out some paint and now that the papers are gone, hopefully I will be able to start on this project soon.

For the month of June I am trying to work on my outdoor patio. It is going to be a big project. I finished my 1st piece today. The new lounge chair cover was a challenge….I was trying for a more custom look rather than just the pillow/ties.

BEFORE….

AFTER…..

I have lots of pieces to go but happy with this one.

luxcat

wow momwalker it looks amazing!

rutheverhart

That’s an impressive Before/After! Congratulations!

lucy1965

*whistles and stamps* That’s fantastic!

looks like new!

clutterbug22

That’s really impressive!

Thanks everybody!!

Adding to the sharing thread….this month I am also participating in a 30 day craft challenge. For me, trying to get several craft/projects that have been in waiting/hold status done..today I finished 3 table toppers for an outdoor shabby chic bridal shower a friend of mine is hosting later this month. There was several other pieces she needed to have worked on, so getting these done has cleaned and cleared out another little corner…

One more project down. My dad made this large media storage for my husband, I was able to finish it last night. It’s over 6ft tall and will hold about 1000 dvd’s, has 4 sides and turns. Now I can round up all the books, cd’s,dvd’s,playstaion3 games, xbox 360 games, vhs tapes, and whatever else I can find and have them all in this one place. At least until the rest of the family is ready to go thru and get rid of some of them.
    Before- in my holding/waiting junk room that I am trying to also clean up/out so I can start working on.

After-starting to round up the things to put on it, which is great, because it’s all over the house. All the dusty surround sound equipment is soon to be headed to the recycling.

Charity

That looks very useful.

Got another set done from the patio project.
    Before-

After-

chacha1

momwalker, you are a whirling dervish!

Charity

Wow.

Finally adding some color into the patio pieces.
    Before

After

momwalker — you are on a roll! Looks great. When’s the patio party?

bandicoot

momwalker, you have mad skillz!

Pool area=16 X 32 above ground. Still have work to do on the deck.
    Before-yucky

After-getting there

Netleigh

momwalker, are those torches round the pool for nightime swims?
    It’s annoying that I can’t see the photos in this thread at work because of the internet filters in place, I just have to catch up at home.

djk

Momwalker, you are on FIRE! I love to see your photos–keep them coming!

Yes Netleigh they are. With all the “nature” that we are surrounded by we have several to help with night time bugs. The whole pool converts to a water-volleyball area. The pvc pipes that the torches are in are actually what holds support poles for a 6.5ft net that surrounds the pool when it is converted.

Thanks everybody for letting me share my projects. I am determined to get this whole area done by the end of June.

I still have the bar and to the left of it, but the month’s not over. I have shared these with another group and titled it “My frightening to fabulous patio reveal”. Let me know, my friends, how do you think it all came together?

Before- I just wanted to pretend this area didn’t exist.

After- Now I can’t wait to get my coffee in the morning and head to my new favorite spot to watch the sunrise.

Before-

After-

Before-

After-

pkilmain

Wow! Looks great.

Mimi

wow momwalker, this is impressive. is it only you working on that tasks???

bandicoot

holy heck, that is a fabulous improvement.
    what a great spot you have created!

rutheverhart

Really flabbergasting! Congratulations!

Sky

momwalker, WOW! What a transformation! Really looks great.

Anonymous

That’s really incredible. Congrats – your hard work and inspiration are making a big difference!

ninakk

momwalker, you have put some serious effort into those projects and I can’t even imagine how many hours it adds up to. You definitely deserve your morning coffee in the first rays of sunshine of each day. Well done. And thanks for the inspiration, you should know that many more are reading and admiring even if they stay silent in the background!

Thanks everybody! I love my new space. Our days have been getting so hot that I still haven’t been able to tackle those other areas yet, but I will.

@Mimi- a friends husband came over and power washed the pavers and concrete area. Then I had another friend that is much better at decorating than me help with putting it all together. Either one had seen the actual before pics, since I had been pulling parts and pieces off of there for a couple of weeks, they couldn’t believe the difference when they saw the pictures together.

This is some of a large load we took to our new found FREE electronic recycling business. Most places here charge $5-$10 per item.

8 towers
    2 shredders
    1 lcd monitor
    2 stereos
    3 laptops
    cd player

Momwalker1966,

This is really impressive! What kinds of paint did you use on the furniture?

ceduke

Well, this is not exactly uncluttering, but it’s the before and after that I’m most proud of this week. πŸ™‚

I have a leopard gecko named Rango. This morning I looked at Rango’s tank and realized that while it was perfectly functional, it was boring.

So off I went to get new flooring and new caves for her to hide in. Slate tiles rock as gecko flooring because they’re safe, pretty, and you can wash them in the dishwasher!! I also picked up a better food bowl, since her bugs kept escaping out of the old one. Now her home is a pleasure for me to look at as well as a pleasure for her to live in!

chacha1

If I were a li’l gecko, I would definitely like version 2 better. πŸ™‚ nicely done!

ok I’m jealous, Rango has nicer flooring than me. You done a great job!

ceduke

Thanks! πŸ™‚ It’s fun to spoil pets.

“The grilling shed”…my 1 hour/$30 de-cluttering project

It has been so hot, 1 hour was all I was willing to spend on this. Now is the time to check for those flower mark downs…my $30 cost was the total for all the flowers I bought. (2 purples in the front, 2 small vines, large spider plant, 3 hanging baskets)There is still work to be done but I think the little time and money was well spent.

Another great storage tip that you won’t find on Pinterest.

Take your favorite “go to” mixing bowl fill it full of misc anything and everything, stick in the back of any hidden space you can find. If your like me you can spend the next 2 years wondering what happened to your favorite bowl and then find it filled with all the junk that should have just went into the trash a loooong time ago like I did.

Contents-trashed
    Bowl-since I have replaced it, donation bag

liag

Love it. Still smiling.

After a long day of working, my patio is my go to place since I got it all cleaned up…..it would have been sad to have missed a sunset like this being inside.

7/27-De-cluttering the kitchen today–

I try to keep this set of shelves for just looks, it’s much easier to maintain.
    Just cleaned..

This shelf unit I do have functional parts, once it starts getting out of hand it builds up quickly..
    Before…

After…

Ella

Nice work, momwalker. I have a pressed tin candle sconce that looks almost exactly like the plate you have on display! It’s especially nice to see the books put upright. Falling-over books set my teeth on edge like fingernails on a blackboard.

Swede

@momwalker – I love seeing your pics, keep em coming! πŸ™‚

ninakk

Fantastic! I remembered your hats all of a sudden. Did you organise some storage for them already?

7/31 I must be trying to pass myself off as a gourmet cook. Let me impress you with my vast collection of spices……

Seriously, really good cooks would be much more organized than this. I could never find the ones I was needing. Not that the after is much better, but they are grouped together to where At least I should be able to find them. Also found new homes for the hanging pots and pans,,,,,,,

djk

The pegboard is genius! And it’s so fun to have a wild array of flavours at your fingertips. I’d come over for dinner!

8/2
    Today I WILL be fixing my purse, I know this for a fact because I have typed it out here so I am committed. Didn’t realize that I actually had a good, organized “out the door” routine until the strap broke(over a week ago) and now EVERY time I need to go anywhere I have to hunt for my purse.

Apparently I had a HUGE fix-it yesterday, by replacing the batteries in the tv remote. Hubby(which hasn’t even mentioned how much better the kitchen looks after I spent all weekend in there) has thanked me over, over and over again for it. I don’t know why manufacturers even bother with workable buttons on tv’s anymore.

liag

Momw: talk about being on a roll. Way to go. We like your pics.

8/6/12-MY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! THANKS TO THE SUPPORT, ENCOURAGEMENT AND LOTS OF VIRTUAL HUGS FROM OUR MEMBERS HERE, I GOT THROUGH THIS PROJECT 8/6/11. I DIDN’T KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES THEN IN THE THREADS, SO I AM SHARING THEM TODAY. SHIELD YOUR EYES!

This was my biggest project to date, the storm damaged playroom. Thanks for letting me share. A storm came through in July and took one door off and damaged the other at the hinges. It’s has been a mess/mini construction site, plus finding the time to work on it has been hard. I can’t wait for the kids to come in Monday, they will be so happy.

Can you tell a difference?

The treadmill and workout equipment is supposed to picked up Monday morning

Before/After

Puzzle and individual play wall unit

Completely reorganized the art/craft cabinet

liag

Wow, MW! Bravo.

Haven’t figured out who exactly helped my freezer send me this message. I was able to tackle it Sunday(8/12). The chest freezer is something I have been looking on the net to find out what would be the best way to organize it. Using re-usable store bags seems to be highly liked by many, and I think I will too. I still need to de-frost, maybe next weekend.

After getting in and dividing into categories I changed it around. Most seemed to have been doing beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, fruit but it looks like to put a meal together I would have to pull several bags. I went with breakfast, lunch, supper, raw meats, and snacks. I am a big fan of meal kits and do several versions of those so it made more sense to change it.

So here is how it looked when I was done, with the exception of a small pack of strawberries, a couple of stray chicken strips and a button everything else went back in.

Zora

Spices. I bought the same brand of spices for years, so I had matching jars. When I finished the spice, I’d soak the label off the jar, add my own label, and refill the jar with cheaper spice from the spice bins at my food co-op. All my spice jars are the same: plain, clear glass, so I can see how much is left. They’re stored in an easily accessible cupboard, on lazy susans. Grouped by type of recipe. These days, that’s mostly the South Asian cooking group (turmeric, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, etc.) and the baking group (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, etc.) Oh, and I have a separate stack of locking containers for the spices that come in big packages: amchoor, za’atar, chaat masala.

You can buy large lots of small glass jars cheaply on the web. Buy a labeling machine and you’re ready to go. No reason you have to keep the mishmash of gaudy-labeled jars in odd sizes that you get at the grocery store. If you don’t have a local food co-op where you can buy the cheap bulk spices, you can order spices on the web too. A much greater range than you’d get in the local supermarket.

I am so excited! Look what I got for the day!

Swede

Having penpals from the age of 7 left me with 5 boxes of letters… I have now gotten rid of most of the un important ones and is left with this:

I prob could declutter a bit more, but for now I am very happy with the result. πŸ™‚

Swede- Great job, I bet it was nice to go back through all of those. I still like getting handwritten notes in the mailbox. I have a few that will send one usually around Christmas to update me on their year.

8/31
    Sleepykitten’s “Fifty by Friday” Challenge

Here is what I have come up with so far…
    1. Bag of plastics to recycle(I will keep adding to this)
    2-5 Beautiful princess wands for our afternoon craft(that will go home with them)of course they look like paper towel tubes but we haven’t worked our magic yet.
    6-10 Empty misc glass jars with lids. A friend is coming to get these, a real friend would have probably took off the labels-but I am in a time crunch here.
    11-14 egg cartons to drop off to the lady down the road that sells fresh eggs

Things I didn’t take a picture of but was able to complete the challenge*happy*

15-22 dead ferns over the fence row to the rubbish pile
    23-30 plastic pots hope to recycle but may have to trash
    31 spray “Instant Vacation” I have never known if this was room spray or something I am supposed to wear.
    32-38 misc shampoo/conditioner/hair stuff as well as empty-trashed
    39-lots of newspapers for recycling
    40-42- boxes of more broken down cardboard for recycling
    43-47 broken toy cars to the trashcan
    48-52 little girls shoes in donation bag

I work with another group of de-clutterers, this idea then became “The Weekender” Challenge. Lots of happy spaces are showing up with this. I won’t list out the large amount of stuff that’s being cleared but I will share some pictures of my day:

Yes, those are wire hangers. I hate wire hangers these are from hubby’s work laundry service…Ugh

Time to load the car
    Front seat-donations

Back seat
    Little cardboard for the recycling bin

And a few papers

Looking forward to tomorrow ………..

Swede

@momwalker: Wow… That paper… It would freak me out! Haha. In Sweden we have a law saying if you have a “no advertising” sign on your letterbox it is illegal for companies to leave ads or leaflets. I LOVE it. I only get letters addressed to me which saves me from a lot of uncluttering. πŸ™‚

I think my large paper piles probably freak out many people. I volunteer to drop off several others papers that otherwise would just be throwing them in the trash. I use to keep in my spare bedroom but now I keep out in a storage building so I don’t bring them in the house or have to handle them as much. Yesterday when I dropped this load off I was really upset that all the “labeled” bins had actual garbage in them. I make pretty hefty donations to these at a school, I think they get credit for what is collected but I also think they void the credit if the bins do not contain what they are meant for. Very upsetting that some are taking the time to keep, sort, haul these items while others are voiding our efforts.

paisley

Momwalker1966- How did you like the Rug Doctor? I have been thinking of renting one, although we have just one bedroom and the hall that have carpet.

Paisley….I loved it. I am not all carpet 2 rooms wall to wall and 2 room size rugs. I have borrowed shampooers before, but this is in a class of it’s own. It puts alot more water down than you would think but it also sucks it up. My carpets were really dirty, so we also got extra chemicals such as heavy traffic, and spot remover. The is several printable coupons on thier website. We got the largest machine(wide)$29day with uphol attatchment, chemicals and 2days rental it came to about $100(My oldest son done 2 rooms at his house). I think it was worth it, it got stains and dirt that the shampooers wouldn’t.Hth

If you do rent the Rug Dr, rather than reading all the instructions on the machine just go to their website or youtube and watch the 2min videos. It was much more helpful.

Josh’s Room—-my next project, starts today! My son(22) moved out last Nov, since then I have gradually added things in there to where it is becoming another “junk room” which I don’t need. My goal is to make it into a guest room, nothing fancy but a room with a purpose. I think I will keep it clean that way. Some friends of mine want to come and help me kickoff this project tomorrow by painting. That means I need to start the clean out today 9/12. It’s 12ft X 14ft, no closet, one standard size window, rough hardward floors.

9/12 so I have taken out large box of cardboard and stack of newspapers so far..

paisley

Momwalker– Thanks for the advice! I’ll have to get my DD to clean her room before we bring the machine in, though. That will be the harder part! Looking at the youtube video is a good idea. Good luck with your son’s room!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Josh’s room- Here is what we got done yesterday. I didn’t think we would need to do the ceiling but now that the walls look so much better, the ceiling will need a coat (it looks dirty) It took 3 coats of the higher quality paint with primer in it to cover the dark stripes. I really like the color although it has weird name “Onion Skin Tan” cost $72 for 2 gallons. Next on my list is the window-I had no idea it was in such bad shape and mildew had built up like it has, this room has been pretty much closed off since he moved 10 months ago.

What do you all think of the new color?

clutterbug22

That’s quite a pleasant colour, makes the room look bigger.

Lounger

Wow, Momwalker. You’re an inspiration! Haven’t visited Unclutterer for ages, and had forgotten my password, but just had to log in and comment when I saw this thread. I bet the children really appreciate the playroom. Looking forward to seeing the fished guest room.

inspirata

I LOVE checking out before & afters – just love them! Am I able to post some old ones? I didn’t know if past projects were allowed or not πŸ˜›

@ inspirata- of course you can post past projects. I started this thread so everyone could share. I love seeing before/afters! Do you know how to post pictures here? There is a thread explaining how, but if you have any trouble post on this thread and I will try to help.

@ Lounger- Thank you, and welcome back! Taking pictures seems to help me complete my projects rather than starting something and never finishing it. I never know if anyone sees this thread unless something gets posted. So thank you for taking the time and for the kind words.

Anonymous

momwalker! The new color is GORGEOUS! Love all of the pictures. You’ve made huge strides on this project!

I am 2 weeks away from Fall Break and am looking forward to eliminating some clutter. If the weather gets below 102 I can work in the garage by then.

I like my rental Rug Doctors. They fit in the car trunk and get the carpet clean to MY standards. I always rinse again with plain water after the shampoo and it seems to keep the dirt from coming back and sticking to the leftover soap. Also the carpet feels lots softer.

inspirata

OK I’ll post some of my before & afters! Most of them are renovations, but there’ll be more decluttering ones to come!

We moved into our house about 2.5 years ago. It’s a sweet little house, but needed a lot of work. And even since some of these photos in particular were taken, things have changed (only in terms of furnishings and such, but still changes). I just haven’t been bothered to take new photos yet!

The first week we were here, I painted the hallway from blue to yellow:

The next thing to be updated was our spare room – it had stinky carpet, gross walls, and was just so dated. So we ripped up the carpet, sanded and polished the floorboards, painted, and it became my pride and joy! This room is currently in its second stage of life, being converted to a nursery for our new baby (due November). I will post photos when that room is all decluttered again!
    Before & After:

Next, our kitchen/dining/lounge rooms all got a bit of a revamp – painting over some gorgeous (*gag*) wood panelling and ripping down a heap of wallpaper. I decided on neutral colours for this area, being that it’s on the northern side of the house and gets the most sun, it didn’t need bright colours to liven up the space.
    Before (ignore sleeping husband in chair!):

After (ignore any mess, that comes with painting!):

Our bedroom was tackled next, and I’ve only recently decluttered that (last week), so first I’ll show you the Before-Paint (again, ignore mess, this was the night we moved in!):

The After-Paint:

The Before-Declutter (not a great shot because I didn’t think I’d show anyone!!):

The After-Declutter:

New carpet is going down in here sooner rather than later too!

What’s next… ah, the home office. Again, the ‘After’ isn’t really an after because a) it’s a mess, was still moving things back in (only really took the photo to show paint colour, not cleanliness!) and b)it’s my current project that I’m tackling in terms of decluttering!

And finally, the piΓ¨ce de rΓ©sistance – the bathroom. This room has had the most dramatic (and expensive!) change of the whole house. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:
    Before:

After:

I hope that future posts will be more decluttering/organisational posts than this which is more a renovation post (!) but I love sharing before & afters!

djk

Wow! Great improvements! You have accomplished a lot.

inspirata

Thanks djk – like I mentioned, most are renovations/redecorations and I can see back through these old photos that my organisational skills have improved somewhat, but I find myself picking on areas that “could be better” in terms of decluttering them and/or organising them better. Our kitchen/dining is terrible for that – our kitchen table is just a landing strip for everything and I’m working on fixing that.

And also our office – it’s a shambles right now – I have cleaned it out somewhat but went to take a photo just before and it’s not even up to photoworthiness yet – a little more work to do in there yet, but I’ll get there!

clutterbug22

Some nice work there, inspirata, do like the lounge and green room especially.
    Look forward to seeing some of your decluttering photos.

(p.s. I see hubby has bagged the best chair, lol!)

@ inspirata- Beautiful spaces, love your colors and home. Thanks for sharing!

Inspirata: thanks! You have been working very, very hard and it shows.

Anonymous

Gorgeous colors Inspirata! I love the “same room/same dude in chair” pics. It’s as if you waved a magic wand and everything else changed!

Here’s my before post for my new project, The Bedroom. This year I’ve spent months in bed with the back surgery… and I HATE my bedroom walls – dark brown gloss, very unevenly painted and full of nails. Love the spaciousness of the bedroom (except in the depths of winter!) and my Ikea duvet cover πŸ™‚ I plan to get the walls and blue dresser repainted by the end of the month.

bandicoot

lkh, that room has beautiful bones.

bandicoot, the entire house is gorgeous. It’s a shame it’s 800 miles away from DF’s new dream job. I got most of the first coat of primer on today. The room already looks happier.

@ life- love those floors and wide trim. What color are you going with on the walls? Can’t wait to see how your project turns out.

I got the ceiling done and window trimmed in the guest room. I am hoping to work on the wood floors this weekend.

Momwalker, good job on the ceiling and trim! I hate doing ceilings, but they look SO good and fresh when they’re done. Are there pics of your guest room?? I love seeing how people update their homes.

I chose a pale blue for the bedroom walls. Doesn’t quite match the pale blue in the duvet cover (cover is more gray blue than pure blue) but the house is being sold next June, so this is just to spruce up the room and let me enjoy something other than a brown cave!

I bought a quart of pale shell pink for the dresser, but now I’m considering a mid or pale gray instead. This is because I also need to paint the mantel in the bedroom. I thought about black for the mantel, but it’ll be too stark, then I thought about white, but it’ll require repainting all of the fire surround in white too. I also need to repaint the front and back doors of the house because the previous owners just slapped on a coat of interior red paint, which of course hasn’t stood up to use. Gray is the couleur du jour, so it’ll update the house and only require me to buy one gallon of gloss paint.

If I still want a pink dresser after all that, I still have the pink paint lol.

Good luck with your guest room project.

If anyone has advice for what to do about that little door behind the bed in picture 4, I’d really appreciate it. It’s just an access panel to bathroom pipes. Should I rearrange furniture to cover it or make a headboard for the bed to cover it or paint it to match the wall color? It’s the only wall I can have the bed against. DF wants to wait on a headboard until I’ve moved to MN, otherwise it’s just yet another thing to haul 800 miles north, but I’ve seen tutorials online for simple frames with a fabric cover which we could dismantle for moving.

Sky

lifekeepingshape….definitely paint the door the same color as the wall. Hinges and all. It will almost disappear.

More pictures after you paint, please!

bandicoot

my first instinct would be : headboard.
    but given that you are planning to move, painting it the same as the wall would be the next best thing.

Super! Thanks for the advice. I’ll go ahead and prime it today.

Prior to priming the walls, I had removed 27 nails of varying sizes and filled all the holes. Today, while inspecting the primed walls, I filled another 52 pushpin holes!!!!!!!

52!!!!!

DF has suggested that perhaps Mikael Blomkvist used our bedroom to solve an old Swedish murder case πŸ˜€

Update:

Blue walls are good. Mantle is right paint, wrong color:

Mantle is wrong paint, right color:

Before:

djk

Looks great! I love that beautiful blue.

@ life–I love that color, it looks great with that white trim. Very relaxing color combo for a bedroom. Great job!

bandicoot

looooove it!

Thank you ladies! It still surprises me each time I walk into the bedroom – it’s such a lovely room and the dark brown just made it like a cave even with sun streaming through the windows!

The mantle is looking better with the second darker gray paint. It’s oil based, so I’ll have to wait to do the second coat tomorrow. I had forgotten over the years of latex just how lovely an oil enamel finish is! The first paint reflected so much blue that it looked purple. I’m going to use it for the front and back exterior doors instead where it looks gray.

Next I’m going to strip my vintage dresser before refinishing.

Claycat

That’s beautiful, Life!

Sky

Doesn’t look like the same room….beautiful!

Last coat of mantle paint went on today. It still looks really good in all lights, so it’s a winner. I need to wait three days before messing with it further. I want to refresh the white trim, but there is SO MUCH of it and I have more important paintage projects on the list.

Another step done in Josh’s/guest room project. I thought this floor was going to kill me. Sanding was just not an option. The dried paint was really old,this was the worst place, where furniture covered.

After following some helpful tips, I was able to get most up. Thanks Astreja and others that were able to help.

After more scrubbing/ light sanding…clear finish. waiting on my new(to me) bedroom set…..

YAY momwalker!!!!! That’s a win if ever I saw one πŸ™‚

I want to see the new bedroom set when you’re all set up. This is the room that used to be red white and blue horizontal stripes right? It looks great.

beautiful floors are lovely until someone like me decides to strip paint off the dresser in the bedroom with very minimal floor protection… that was today. Sigh. Luckily I had a damp rag and wiped it up immediately, but UGH!! What a stupido moment for me. I’m sanding the rest of it… still in the bedroom, but with dust control.

Claycat

I love wood floors! That looks great!

Repainted the back door from red flat, scratched finish:

To glossy “Magic Spell” finish:

Also learned a lot about taking locks off and reinstalling them. I’m going to cover the pet flap with a painted piece of plywood – the doggy door will still be there if the next home owner wants to take off the storm door and use the pet flap.

@ Life= I can’t see the pictures. Is it just me?

It’s done!!! I hate the after came out blurry.

Lots of work between these 2 pictures….
    Before:

After:

well, shoot. Sorry! Let me try again. Photobucket has a beta version that is pure irritation.

Back door before:

Back door after:

Momwalker – what a fabulous change! Love your choice of colors. Isn’t it amazing how different a room can look with some paint?

djk

Momwalker, Life, great improvements!

PS–Life? Your boots are dead cute

Oh djk – I’m so thrilled with my newest Docs. They are SLIP ON! I have two other pairs of Docs, but they’re not being worn due to the fact I cannot bend to lace/unlace. I’m slowly replacing my whole shoedrobe with slip on Docs and Keens. No heels, no buckles or laces.

Have not done any before or aftering today. It’s my day of the month for being totally unproductive. I can’t even be unproductive in a productive way today. Pffft.

Candy – I didn’t know they sold them with zippers now!!! That might work. I have a gorgeous pair of high heel Docs that I bought earlier this year when it looked possible for me to sometimes wear heels again (this was at the point where we figured I’d be in a wheelchair, so I’d just wear kick ass shoes as a fashion statement and not to walkin.)

I’m walking again now but will not likely ever get into heels. So the unworn high heel Docs should go back to Zappos and be exchanged for something I can use. Something with ZIPPERS!!!!!

Candy – those are great. I sent back the heeled boots today and asked for store credit so the refund doesn’t just end up paying the electric bill. I’ll take my time looking for something easy and kick-ass. Thanks for the really helpful info!

and since this is the before/after thread… here’s today’s progress

Bedroom Closet before:

Bedroom Closet in progress:

I plan to stencil a lattice design on the back wall and DF will add shelving and rod. The house will be sold empty, so I’m trying to address all the closets and other hidden or forgotten places that we normally ignore.

ninakk

Awesome job again! It’s truly inspirational.

“The Barn Sale”-We had such a great day for it, 11/10 was the day I was able to go help. It was great to see so many atad’s actually have new places to go. I only had 1 small tote left of items….they will probably be dropped off in the donation bin this next weekend. My items were really priced to sale(.50-2.00) but I still made around $150 to go toward my guest room project that was just completed. Of course I have to share some pictures.
    Beautiful sunrise..

Cindi took care of the clothes racks

The outdoor heaters were our best friends early in the morning. Here is my friends Tammy and her husband George.

Early morning coffee and toasted marshmallows. A breakfast for champions, maybe not, but I was caught several times during the day sneaking out to the fire with my metal hanger.

djk

Momwalker, sounds like it was a great success.

Ps
    I love the barn. And the stars on it. And roasted marshmallows.

I want a barn! It’s so sweet!

Wow! Super barn! I’m glad you had helpers and made money for the guest room project πŸ™‚

Btw, I stenciled the back wall of my bedroom closet and the chimney breast… and neither show up because there’s not enough contrast between the light blue and the white. So I’m waiting on DF’s arrival to see whether I should finish the chimney wall or repaint it blue. He’s also going to put up the shelf and rod in the closet and the curtain rods. I should be able to do these things except the power tools are really heavy to try to use at shoulder height when I have a bad neck! Frustrating!

“after” photos will come soon.

@ATaylor – congratulations!!!!!!! I’m super impressed.

Can you share how you are storing other documents? I have an external hard drive, drobo, GoogleDrive, Evernote, but I just get the heebeegeebees when I think about scanning all my stuff to them (medical reports, insurance policies, college transcripts). It’s silly because I’ve taken every step to go paperless with bills etc and I trust the utility companies and banks with my data… but I still hold onto handouts from physical therapy and eyeglasses prescriptions and dental receipts.

Thanks ATaylor. I realize we should be having this discussion in the tech thread, but this is where we are. I have an Android phone too, will look at the axcrypt app, thanks for the link. I am less concerned with losing my stuff (I was able to replace all documentation after a tornado wiped out my house several years) than someone else “finding” my stuff. Encryption seems like a reassuring level of security.

ninakk

Nice work also in this thread!

Good job Aataylor! Bathtubs and tiles are never a pleasant job.

djk

oh well done ataylor!

once something is clean it’s so much easier to keep it that way with regular light maintenance. You’ve just saved yourself some future work!

Sky

Nice job, ataylor. I love a clean bathroom.

Ataylor: Nice job on re-shining the bathtub and tile. You may want to try keeping some 409 or Fantastik or vinegar to spray on walls after using the shower. All cut soap scum. Any good scrubber with a handle is more fun (and a lot quicker) to use than a plain sponge.

bandicoot

good work on the bathroom!
    i agree with everyone else….regular light cleans are easier in the long run, plus the place always looks clean, which is a bonus.
    the cycle is easier: looks clean, looks clean, looks less clean, looks dingy, looks filthy, looks depressing and condemnable, HUGE BIG TOUGH CLEAN UP ORDEAL, looks clean, etc.

ORRRRRRR
    looks clean, looks slightly less clean, MINI CLEAN UP, looks clean again, looks slightly less clean, MINI CLEAN UP, etc.

with the second approach you actually spend less time cleaning, but more time in a state of cleanliness or nigh-cleanliness.
    this is bandicoot’s first paradox of housework

I agree with bandicoot and djk. A bit at a time, not a huge big tough clean up ordeal. I keep a handled scrubber (white Scotch type) and cheap shampoo in the shower for a 1-minute scrub every few days. Also, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: switching from bar soap to using a liquid soap or body wash will cut way down on the soap scum build-up.

I also recommend replacing the shower curtain if it is just too horrible to contemplate cleaning by hand or in the washer. Cuts the Gordian knot.

Sky

I keep spray cleaner and a handled scrub brush in the shower for quick scrubs and deep scrub occasionally.

I use inexpensive vinyl shower curtains and just replace them when needed. My main bathroom has a beautiful white shower curtain and liner. Stays clean because it’s seldom used.

So much easier to keep up than catch up.

arthelemis

As for people who don’t like throwing shower curtains in the trash, around here, we cut up our old one in squares big enough to cover our windshield in case of freezing rain. It saves ourselves from wasting hours scraping the windshield, and by the time the they are destroyed, it’s usually time to replace the shower curtain. And being out there in the cold will kill any mold/nasty stuff living on it.

Alternatively, we also keep a full size one in the house for paint project, and in the garage, because a huge sheet of plastic is always a good thing to have in the garage (especially if you work on your own cars)

@ATaylor= great jobs on both the papers and the bath!

I use fabric liners, they seem to let the air circulate better, you just throw those in the washer. The other shower/tub I have seems to be an unusual size, those liners are just barely enough to go from one end to the other. So I use 2 for a fuller look and you just enter in the middle and don’t have to worry about water getting out onto the floor if you didn’t double check that is was completely stretched out. I like those product caddy things that hangs from the shower head to keep soaps, and other essential things off the sides too. That became a gotta have item when I had to take an old plastic spatula to get the little semi dried gooped up mounds of misc soap chunks off the top. How can such a clean item like soap make such a nasty mess?

Momwalker1966: the perfect soap dish has not yet been invented, IMHO. Some people keep squishy wet sponges under their soap, some people try all kinds of soap dishes.

Ooh, here is a new soap dish I have not seen before:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Home-WaterFall-Soap-Saver/dp/B004MYF7XU

designed to drip the soapy water out… well, onto the sink or the shower,but at least it lets the soap dry.

arthelemis

For as long as I can remember, my soap dish has been one half of a plastic soap case that didn’t stayed close. The bottom is ribbed, and I’ve drilled a couple of drainage holes in it. My soap never gets mushy, and I clean it a couple of time a year, while taking a shower. The hot water dissolve the soap residues pretty quickly.

Barbs

@ataylor – good job. that must be a nice feeling. congratulations on your minimalist toiletry collection. I am slooooowly working my way there.

I am not one for homemade cleaners (I like Mrs Meyers) but shower spray seemed expensive to me. I found a recipe (not sure where)

In a 24 oz bottle combine:

1/2 C Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/2 C Isopropyl Alcohol
    6 drops liquid dish detergent
    2 T dishwasher rinse aid (I use wavejet it is organic coconut oil mostly)
    fill with water add a few drops of essential oil for fragrance if desired.
    shake and mist shower/tub area after every use.

It works great and it is cheap and easy to make.

Also I wash my plastic shower liner in the machine every once in while.

irishbell

Ataylor, lol, that’s alotta cords! Good luck, you can do it.

ataylor: Impressive cable nest. I recommend twist ties from the grocery store. Cable ties are nice, too, but not necessary.

Labelmaker labels are good, too, on the ends.

Alice11

Or if you don’t have a labelmaker, it doesn’t look as pretty but I use white masking tape and a black permanent marker. I second the suggestion for twist ties, especially if you end up rearranging electronics on a semi-regular basis.

Sky

Well done, ataylor. And I see you have a well deserved glass of wine to celebrate!

well done, ataylor! Only white wine for you in the future, though.

The home gym is now functional! I promised a photo, so here is one before I even had a chance to mop, which I think I will have to do quite often. There will be a small TV on the cart, DVD/VCR player and a small stereo. I have a curtain to hang over the ugly shelving next to the garage doors, and a clock is on the way.

Ella

Wow, well done, Susan! It looks great! So bright and fresh and inviting. What’s that thing to the left of the treadmill? Now we need a picture of you in action! πŸ˜€

If you ever get bored with TV/DVDs/music, I highly recommend walking to the accompaniment of a captivating audiobook.

Ella: It’s a Weider Total Body Works 5000. On their Web site it’s “on sale” for $599, but I got it on a REAL sale at Amazon for $149 (!) It uses your own body weight to create the resistance. Although it wasn’t as much of a consideration for me, it easily folds down flat and can be stowed under a bed — a boon for people in small spaces (but not as small as your space!)

I am one of those people who cannot listen to audio books — I drift off, and before I know it three chapters have passed . . . I’ll actually probably listen to NPR most of the time, but I do have some videos of pilates routines.

Although I am very pleased to have a dedicated exercise space (and get the treadmill off the sun porch) I’m equally glad to have part of the garage reclaimed to be used for something other than storage. There is (in theory) still room to park one car. My January project is going to be back to work on the other half of the garage. We have our junk pickup in January and DH might concede to get rid of some things. Or not. We’ll see.

s

Looks aMazing, Susan!

BZB

wow, ataylor, what a huge difference! I’ll bet that one small change makes the whole room feel brighter and nicer to be in.

BZB

great job, susanintexas! We recently cancelled our gym membership and are thinking of doing something similar, except it will be wedged into our office/guest room (we don’t have a garage). Thanks for the updates and the photo!

clutterbug22

ataylor, that looks GOOD!

Thought I’d post another pic of the sun porch. Where the small table sits in the corner was the former home of the treadmill, which is now in the garage gym. I didn’t realize how much that machine altered the ambiance of the room. Now I sit here every morning with my coffee and newspaper.

Swede

Susan, I’m with ataylor on this one. Looks lovely! πŸ™‚

Sky

Susan, what a beautiful porch!

djk

Well done, SIT! Looks like a peaceful, relaxing place

Ella

That’s such a lovely room, Susan, and what a nice way to begin your day. The sunflowers make it even more inviting and cheerful. All it needs now is a small wardrobe against the back of the fireplace to make it perfect for guests. Oh and the temporary curtains you were thinking of. I hope your husband begins to see the wisdom of moving his office to the current guest room, and repurposing the sunroom for your occasional guests. Perhaps your friend who’s coming to visit soon will have some ideas?

What great jobs everyone is doing! I need to go back through and read on this thread the holidays have just been hectic. My guest room–we have never really had guests at our house, probably because we have never had a guest room. My second set of guests just left. They love the room and both sets have said they have never slept so well away from home. It was alot of work but what great compliments and happiness coming from that space that now has a purpose…
    Posted earlier in this thread.
    Before:

after-sorry about the fuzziness

Claycat

I love this thread. The before and afters are great, and they show how much the poster has accomplished! Great job, Unclutterers!

sleepykitten

Amazing progress @Susan and @ataylor – I love the workout room and the cable clutter makeover. And @ataylor – isn’t it funny how we DO get used to certain things? There are so many spots in my home that are either grimy or cluttered (not due to too much stuff so much as a lack of PEEP) that I am more-or-less used to, but I am sure that if I cleaned them up, I would feel so much better. Very motivating thread!

ETA: @Momwalker, your photos didn’t show up for me until after I posted – very nice as well! πŸ™‚

Momwalker, that room looks fabulous now. Simple, clean lines, welcoming atmosphere.

Thanks..they are posted earlier in this thread, but it’s getting pretty long(lots of work going into this thread..love it)

Working on a modified 50 challenge(7 items for 7 days)
    Day #1 1/1/13
    1. one windex refill bottle. Filled up reg bottles, trashed
    2. Bag of casserole dishes, pie plates from Christmas dinner to return to my mom, in car.
    3. Large snowman decoration, doesn’t work, trashed
    4. Lighted wreath that no longer lights, trashed
    5. 3 shirts too small, in donation bag
    6. Live wreath, took apart and trashed frame and greenery in burn pile
    7. wreath hanger, broke, trashed
    8. Throw, got a new one for Christmas, old one in donation bag
    9. Large live dry tree, out to burn pile.

For years I would drag my dried out tree through the house and spend FOREVER cleaning up the needle mess. Now I cover in a sheet and tie at the top so it won’t slip off….

liag

momwalker: Your guest room is beautiful. The color combination is my favorite. I would love to relax and think peace in your room. P.S. My maternal grandmother was in fact another Mom Walker. She had a gaggle of kids and everyone called her Mom.

Laundry room check-up. I have really come a long way with my laundry room. Here is a picture of this morning 1/6/13.

What’s new-I change to bright white bulb from soft white. The empty top shelf is plenty of room if I fold one load at a time and put away right then. The laundry basket on bottom shelf keeps rags, kitchen towels and small items that usually ended up on the floor even though I am trying to not take the time to fold these anymore. It also has a small basket that serves as a temporary sock holder until I get time to sort those too.

Like I said before it didn’t always look like this:
    Here is my before pic from Nov 2011 and also the state that this little room use to stay in.

My after from my first initial purge and organizing attempt.

liag

A+ job, momwalker.

When are you coming to my house to work your magic πŸ™‚

s

Well done, mom walker!

bandicoot

momwalker….very very nice work!

djk

what an impressive difference!

Claycat

Awesome, Momwalker!

Jennifer

Definitely A+++!!!

Thanks everyone!

Under the Oven drawer..
    Before:

After:

Yesterday me and my son’s gf was cleaning the kitchen. The drip pans on the stove was looking really bad. Not just dirty but rusty. So we replaced them and also added the disposable protectors. Maybe that will keep them cleaner longer.

Before:

After:

liag

Bravo to momwalker. Enjoy your new, pristine environment!

arthelemis

@ momwalker : If I could, I would kiss you right now !

Your post about the drips pans inspired me to check how much some replacement drips pans would be for my stove. After a bit of research, I’ve found that my range was made in the late 40 (instead of the late 50′, like I thought), and it’s worth over 5000$ in unrestored condition.

Oh wow, hybrik how exciting to find out it’s worth so much. The last one I had all the burners were wired and I wasn’t able to just change out the drip pans. With this one being the plug-in type it’s so much easier.

bandicoot

what a difference new drip pans make!
    my last stove was a repulsive broken down cheapie that came with the shack….the drip pans had rusted out decades before.
    i used to fold tinfoil and make my own. it was an improvement, but not as dramatic as yours.

hybrik, that is wild!
    are you going to sell?

Claycat

Wow, Hybrik! You have a treasure!

I have completed my 3rd set of the 7 items for 7 days challenge. Here is my results. Most still has to be delivered but it is ready to go.

1/20
    Finishing projects that have been in waiting for alterations and repair(from other people.

1. hoodie repair
    2. hoodie repair
    3. blanket hem repair
    4. fitted sheet repair
    5. long sleeve shirt repair
    6. short sleeve shirt repair
    7. grey pants-hemmed
    8. lt grey pants- hemmed
    9. blue jeans-hemmed
    10. blue jeans- repair
    11. blue jeans- repair
    12. grey shorts- repair
    13. blue jeans- hemmed

14.-24. another load put together for cardboard recycling
    25-35. tub of electronic recycling
    36.-42. box of items from pantry, trashed

43. -47. 5 small pots w/lids donation bag
    48. old but good blender, donation bag

49. broken Blue Ray player, electronic recycling
    50. old router, electronic recycling
    51. broken printer, electronic recycling

arthelemis

If it was MY range, I would never sell it, because it’s beautiful, it work like a charm, and I’m a sucker for vintage kitchen appliance. However, technically, it’s my father’s range, since he bought it, and he wants to sell it NOW. But I’m trying to work a deal and getting the range as a ”thank you” gift for house sitting the house they are trying to sell, or maybe as a graduation present (I’ll get my degree in a year). After all, he paid only 40$ for it. And I have my mother on my side. (It’s not like they “need” the money, they are very well-off, but an extra 5 grand is always welcome)

Claycat

Good luck, Hybrik!

2/1/13 That annoying space in the bedroom. (posting in FATAD thread too) Here is a picture of a couple of months ago. Disguising unfolded laundry with hubs favorite team throw is what usually ended up here. Open, empty spaces like this usually gets me into trouble. I had a portable fireplace in the storage room (not the best looking thing) hoping that by having it here it will keep me from piling anything/everything in it.

Now to tackle that dusty door…..

I love POWER TOOLS! I am constantly telling the kids I keep to quit jumping on the couch. Everyone said get rid of it, but once I got to looking inside it was just a few supports that had come off the frame. 6 screws and stapled the bottom cover back on.

djk

Bwah ha ha ataylor! Our place could use a salvo of momwalker and Astreja to whip it into shape:)
    Now if I could also channel Zora’s stitchery witchery, and bandicoot’s PEEP skills and lottielot’s energy and lucy1965’s wit, and ninakk’s digital ferocity, and SusanInTexas’s creative problem-solving and Ella’s discipline, and pkilmain’s order (and perfectly husband-cleaned floors)…and…and…and… just too many to enumerate!

Ok I could go on for ages, because I am continually amazed by this group. You all have been such a source of inspiration!

We could take over the world, and run it well too

You all are funny…hehe.
    Small can pantry:
    Before…..

New shelf liners and lots of scrubbing
    After….

Katt

Awesome job momwalker! Looks amazing. How long did that take you to finish?

liag

Another momwalker miracle!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.