Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets Photo inventory to control wardrobe!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Stackenblochen 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Hi everyone!

My main clutter vice is clothing. I have a limited range of clothing types that I love and do live in a ‘uniform’ but I have an issue with duplicating the same kind of stuff over and over again. The main weaknesses: Tshirts and black blazers. It could be my perfectionistic streak – always looking for the best possible version. I do adhere strictly to the one in, one out principle though!

Over the past year I have culled, purged and simplified my wardrobe immensely and want to keep it at this minimum level because it’s so functional and for the first time, causes me joy, rather than stress.

So to avoid buying things I don’t need and/or duplicates, I started a photo inventory of everything in my wardrobe (except sleepwear and underwear). Some photos are sourced online and some are my own photos.

I have found this invaluable. If I’m contemplating something, I don’t have to rely on my faulty memory or unfold things to see them, I just open up the folder on my PC and voila! It’s all there in front of me. So often I am reminded that I have more than enough eg, heather grey tees, or the ones I own are better than the one I’m contemplating. Or it simply reminds me I have enough.

Anyhoo, does anyone else do this? Is this a useful tool or just sad!?

djk

Photo inventory to control wardrobe!

oh yes, I use StylishGirl app on my iphone. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efRDueedX8U[/video]

for me it is not for purposes of shopping, rather, to keep me rotating my small wardrobe so I have enough variety and don’t wear the same clothes on the same day as the week before (I see the same people Monday, then other classes on Tuesday, etc.)

Sometimes I wake up with no idea what to wear, so after I check the weather forecast from my phone, (in bed, with my restorative morning coffee)I scroll through the contents of my wardrobe on my phone, then decide.

I take a photo and enter the data (size, price, brand, retailer, fabric blend, colour) whenever I buy a new piece of clothing, and then when I toss one I delete the photo.

It’s also useful for planning trips. There’s a “suitcase” icon where you can pack a virtual bag and see what will coordinate.

As I’m no fashionista, this makes being appropriately coordinated and sufficiently stylish for work much easier (just the initial set up then the one-in, one-out discipline)

Wow, that’s brilliant djk. I feel so technically unsophisticated compared to you! And you reminded me of an added bonus: when I get rid of something, I get to delete the pic, which feels great!

Hmm, good point Anita. I guess I am visual, and the picture triggers a full memory of the item, texture and all. But my main reason for doing this is to stop myself from buying more, and for that it’s fantastic πŸ™‚

djk

The Photos are small on the screen but, like Stachenblochen, seeing the photo conjures up the whole item.
    Anita, when you’re shopping for new clothes, do you also go very much by the feel/drape of the fabric? I do that. I just love the feel of certain fabrics/blends. Sometimes what I see on the rack is perfect but the minute I touch it I know it won’t come home with me!

Stackenblochen: Thanks for the inspiration! I’ve been contemplating photographing my wardrobe and I made a stab at a format this morning:
    http://www.susanives.com/wardrobe/

I can pull this up on my phone, of course — need to think about whether it is worth the effort, though.

djk

hey that looks great, Susan! very professional

Susan, that’s so great! It’s so worth it imho, as you can use it to coordinate, pack or just remember what you have when shopping or packing. It’s also fantastic when considering what to cull!

Anita, I hadn’t thought of a virtual window browse and/or swap, what a great idea!

I love this idea. I have been wanting to try the “project 333” wardrobe thing is this virtual page hard to set up?

momwalker1966, I’m afraid I only do a low tech folder of pics on my PC, which works for me, as I’m more at risk of shopping online. So before I bite the bullet on anything I check to see what I already have. Doing this usually stops me from buying more. If I was more in danger in physical shops I could definitely benefit from the app djk uses.

I’ll have to defer to other posters for the high tech ideas πŸ™‚

Thanks,low-tech is all I need. Just thought I would be more accountable and get rid of more things that don’t fit, wear, or like if I had something set up. I am probably not dealing with very many pieces, if I eliminated the things in those 3 categories.

sleepykitten

For those feeling middle-of-the-road-tech, I was thinking Pinterest would probably be a good website for this sort of thing – you could take photos of your clothes and upload the photos to a single virtual bulletin board that you could access from wherever….

Jackthetiger

Stackenblochen, I finished my photo inventory last week. It has been a useful process and it reinforces the feeling that I have enough.

That’s so cool Jack! It’s a great feeling, getting off the consumer treadmill, and being able to enjoy what you already have! πŸ™‚

Mimi

thank you for this inspiration. this is an idea that i really like.i think i will take some pictures of my wardrobe today. πŸ™‚

That’s so awesome Mimi πŸ™‚ I got to delete some pics today after donating some clothes, so my album is shrinking. Yay!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.