Home Forums Living Spaces Bathrooms our bathroom renovation

This topic contains 39 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  TatiLie 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

bandicoot

irishbell asked for photos of the thing, so here it is:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pattiflynn/sets/72157629632560309/with/6889182899/
    they run from newest to oldest, date-wise.

we still need tiles on the floor in the outer bathroom, but that is part of an all-out tiling job for the whole house. the tiles are en route, the tiler has been selected….so that drama all lies ahead of us.

the photos have a note here and there, but please feel free to ask questions. i am happy to share sources!
    i have tried to keep things very simple and minimal, but luxurious as well.
    under the vanity is the entire bathroom storage….a wicker basket each for our own things, a wicker basket for towels/peshtemals, a wicker basket for toilet paper. i got rid of a bit of stuff….

lottielot

our bathroom renovation

Lurvely! A new bathroom is a pleasure to use, isn’t it? πŸ™‚

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

o i am enjoying the whole thing to a ridiculous degree πŸ™‚

lottielot

our bathroom renovation

Lol at the thought of bandicoot permanently wrinkled like a prune after hours spent in the new tub πŸ™‚

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

you have described it perfectly!

Zora

our bathroom renovation

That is so lovely. Well-done!

ninakk

our bathroom renovation

OH MY GOD! I just looked at the first photo and felt like screaming “THAT’S WHERE YOU LIVE???”. And then the flood of pretty lovely beautifulness! I want to visit πŸ˜€ You can’t expect to keep such a wonderful place all to yourself now, can you… πŸ˜›

liag

our bathroom renovation

So tasteful and appealing to the senses at the same time. Just what I would expect. You will enjoy it forever,I know, and that is wonderful to think about. {:o)

our bathroom renovation

Beautiful! Simple but luxurious. You nailed it.

irishbell

our bathroom renovation

Lovely and peaceful!
    Thanks for posting the photos.

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

nina, it is a beautiful part of the world, for sure.
    we love it here and feel truly fortunate to live here, despite myriad inconveniences.
    what price pristine air and water though? and green space? and abundant verdant tropical growth everywhere? and peace?
    i can do without a lot of things; i really value these things more.
    sure it rains a lot….there is red mud….we have to transport everything thousands of miles up and then thousands of miles down….everything is expensive….the weather can be extreme….we have horrible spiders and some deadly snakes….but i count all that for nothing against going outside at night and seeing the milky way clearly because there is no light pollution.
    it is an extreme kind of place.
    and you would be most welcome to visit us!
    at least we don’t have a hideous bathroom any longer!
    ( our regular guests will be happy too!)

chacha1

our bathroom renovation

That is majorly cool. The bathtub looks fab in the house, but even more inviting out on the lawn! Gorgeous view!!

Jealous of your clean air. My allergies get worse every year here in filthy can’t-see-the-stars Los Angeles. πŸ™

Netleigh

our bathroom renovation

Gorgeous, I love that you have a window into the shower area and I think I want your towel rails.

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

i looked at towel rails for months.
    then i really did need to make a decision quickly.
    i wandered into the little local plumbing supplies place and they handed me the kado brochure.
    i had my rails chosen, ordered and paid for within two minutes!

we need three more of them though.
    i have ordered them and the electrician and builder are booked to come back and install them above the incumbents.
    we don’t really need warm towels…..it is the drying action i like.
    and they keep the dampness out of the air in there.

Northshore
    Participant

our bathroom renovation

What a beautiful room! You did a great job.

Anonymous

our bathroom renovation

It’t got such tranquility! I love the bathtub under the tree before picture. Bathing under the stars!

snosie

our bathroom renovation

Bandicoot, as a fellow aussie, I was like ‘what, she has heated towel racks?’ but you did explain it, and I do agree, it’s more the dampness that we (aussies) can struggle with… And damp air makes everything horrid!

I’m surprised you have so many light bulbs over your mirror… I suppose I’m just a stress head over big bills, but I know you are so minimal in other areas, you’ve surely thought long and hard about this lighting, and are 100% sure it’s what will work best for you.

djk

our bathroom renovation

It’s got a gloriously spa-like feel, doesn’t it? You did a great job!

irishbell

our bathroom renovation

Isn’t it funny how so many of us loved the towel racks?!
    Not just the heated part, but the pure aesthetic of them.
    Simple things bring simple joy!

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

o yes, there is a hideous amount of bulbs over the mirror!
    however….they will only ever really be switched on for applying makeup (2 minutes) or plucking eyebrows (2 minutes).
    i did think about it, truly.
    the room has lots of natural light, but not when facing into that corner.
    it is fine on it’s own for most applications, except for makeup and eyebrows.

our next major expense here is going to be an all-out plunge into solar power.
    we are looking at somewhere between $20K and $30K for enough to run house and workshop.
    it is a looooong term investment.

Ella

our bathroom renovation

bandicoot, you’ve made your bathroom a paradise! I love everything, but especially the tile colors and those beautiful walls. What are they made of? And the wood on the counter, what kind is that? The figuring is so lovely.

You might want to read The Zero Waste Home for the story of their recent conversion to solar:

http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/2012/01/wow-what-day.html

Ella

our bathroom renovation

Do make sure that your housekeepers regularly wipe clean the tops of those bulbs. Moist air will cause any dust or lint to stick there, and then it’s the devil to clean off, plus it will shorten the life of the bulbs (as I learned the hard way).

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

ella….the walls are fully vitrified, rectified, porcelain tiles.
    i liked the colour, the gentle mottling, and the matteness.
    i liked it so much when i saw it on the walls, that i have ordered the same tile (but in a 60×60 square) for the floor of the entire house….thus ending years of indecision as to how we were going to finish the floors ( currently a mixture of cheap, ugly tiles, raw stained concrete, painted concrete).

the timber is a prolific local scourge (the same guy made my entire kitchen from huge slabs of the same timber) ….camphor laurel.

ninakk

our bathroom renovation

I remember well when you spoke of your concrete floors the first time, but now there’s love in your voice, bandicoot, so I’m sure you’ve made the right decision!

luxcat

our bathroom renovation

I loved looking at these photos Bandicoot, I’m so glad you have the bathroom of your dreams πŸ™‚

PS don’t forget to order extra tiles… we don’t have any for our home and one dropped pan in the kitchen could spell tile disaster

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

we have a three or four metres of spares up our sleeves.
    maybe overkill…..but it is for the entire floor and i plan on never doing it again, ever!

Joless

our bathroom renovation

We just moved back home after a 10 month whole-house renovation! I feel your pain and your delight at the builders leaving πŸ™‚ Ours have a few more bits to do and I can’t wait until my home is my own again!

irishbell

our bathroom renovation

Joless- would love to see pics of your reno also!
    We did a 5 month whole house reno, but lived there, I feel your relief at being back home!

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

joless, 10 months!
    you must be so happy to be home again!
    (trying…and failing….to imagine our six extremely spoilt cats being moved from home for the best part of a year in a similar scenario).
    i’d love to see photos too.

mgett11

our bathroom renovation

It’s amazing the amount of detail you put into your bathroom! I guess when you live in a place like that the designer in you really awakens.. congratulations on the new bathroom! From the tile to the shower system to the modern-looking vanity and baskets, it’s impressive. I was actually most struck by the towel bars though, that and the toilet brush. Do you know where online I can find a triple towel rail like the one you have? Also, is this the toilet brush you have beside your toilet?

Astreja
    Participant

our bathroom renovation

Heads up, everyone — Mgett11 appears to be a spammer for a bathroom supply company.

**FLUSH**

mgett11

our bathroom renovation

Anybody who posts a link is a spammer apparently. Thanks.

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

we are jumpy here.
    we get a lotlotlot of people posting for the first ever time…with a link.
    if that’s not you, then cool.

the toilet brush in question was an el cheapo find at our local independent rural supermarket, and it came in a pack with the spare toilet roll holder.
    i didn’t notice any actual branding on it, but it is reasonable stainless steel and the brush head is replaceable.
    i was as surprised as the next person to find it where i did.

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

ok, i looked at your link and that looks identical to my brush.
    but mine was under AUD$15 INCL the spare toilet roll holder!

the towel rails are here:
    http://www.reece.com.au/bathrooms/products/kado-cirque-wall-mounted-heated-towel-rail
    we have them on a timer, so they just run for four hours, twice a day.

mgett11

our bathroom renovation

haha it’s fine – it’s obviously not me. I read your post and I looked at your pictures and was driven to sign up. I “stumbled” upon it while looking for toilet brushes which is why your toilet brush stood out to me as something I’d just seen. It’s ok. You have a nice home (and a better location for it). Thanks for the link I’ll have to find it in the US.

Astreja
    Participant

our bathroom renovation

@mgett11: Please accept my apology for jumping to Defcon 2 and assuming you were a spammer.

TatiLie

our bathroom renovation

Oh my, oh my!! I don’t know what I love more: your bathroom or the bathtub on the beautiful panoramic scenery.
    I’m so sorry that I NEED to show this bathroom to my husband and he will LOVE and COPY it. He may use local stones so it will be a beige version of it. Ah, and there may be two copies of it. One for our bathroom and one for his mother bathroom as the shower room seems perfect her.

bandicoot

our bathroom renovation

tatilie….thank you for the compliment!
    usually, when i travel, i am jealous of the bathrooms….previously, every single bathroom on the planet was better/nicer/more comfortable than mine.
    on this current trip, however, i must report that no bathroom has come even close to my new bathroom. i miss my bathroom!

TatiLie

our bathroom renovation

Bandicoot: I love bathrooms. I’m the kind of person who have a mental list of the nicest bathrooms I’ve been in my life. I showed the bathroom to my husband and he is curious to know if the racks are working well. We’re in Ireland and dry and warm towels is a must in our cold morning showers (we have much bigger and uglier one). Also, I noticed the peshtemals, which I never heard o,f and after a bit of Google search… I WANT SOME!! Tell me about your experience with them, will you? We used some linen cloths in a hotel in Assisi and it was nice (but it was Italian summer!). I wonder if it works well in a cold and rainy season. Sorry for all the questions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.