Home Forums Living Spaces Bathrooms Organizing Teenager's Accessories

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Periwinkle 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

zchristy

I am trying to help my 13 y/o organize her room. It has been done a bizillion times, but she accumulates like crazy and doesn’t put anything away.

She has just done her closet and bookshelf, but I’m stumped at how to help her organize all of her MYRIAD of hats, hairbands, toiletries, makeup, hair stuff, earrings, elastics etc. She has a small room and a small round makeup table.

Thanks!

MsDasha

Organizing Teenager's Accessories

I have one of these three tier cases for my sewing stuff and it’s amazing – http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/hobby/toolBoxes?productId=10023584
    I could image it would be great for makeup and all the little hair stuff. Maybe a second one for jewelry? They are very plain but are easy to decorate with sharpies, stickers, etc. They can also be put away easily or taken along to a friend’s house. Do girls still have sleepovers? Those were fun…

I also love these types of jewelry trees! They are so much fun! http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/accessoryStorage/jewelry?productId=10024268

And there is this pivoted little jewelry stand for stuff that’s accessed often (I would use it for hair elastics and bobby pins) http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/accessoryStorage/jewelry?productId=10022657

Ok, I totally want to come over and do this for you now ๐Ÿ™‚ I miss being 13 and all the fun paraphernalia that it comes with!

zchristy

Come on over! LOL

I LOVE organizing, but she has so much stuff and doesn’t care to take care of it, no matter how it’s organized, so it’s just a heap. Blech.

badkitti

How about using some hanging plastic pockets inside a wardrobe? I’m quite tempted to store necklaces by hanging them om hooks as decoreative items

MsDasha

If she likes it in a heap, then maybe some baskets where she can just dump the lot? That way the baskets can be put away so you don’t have to see the mess but she doesn’t have to *actually* organize it.

zchristy

Well, I found a set of 4 rubbermaid drawers on sale and bought it for DD’s room. She announced at breakfast this morning that she had already organized it and sure enough, she had drawers for nails, hair stuff, toiletries etc. Looks great.

Now the big question…will she keep it up or will the novelty wear off?! ;o) lol

Pabbles

I won’t discourage you, but Im sure my 12-year-old will never keep her things ok. Obviously it’s too exhausting ๐Ÿ˜‰
    But her jewelry is pretty well organized, for it’s so simple:
    Her loft-bed has a lath-floor, that is a grid, and I hung up several hooks, two years ago. And she really uses it! Necklaces, bracelets, key lanyards – everything you can hang up, she puts there. It’s a good thing for lazy people ๐Ÿ™‚
    (I should install more hooks all over the house, I guess, LOL)

How’s it going with your daughter’s rubbermaid drawers now?

SarahJ

When I was younger I had all my makeup/nailpolish/hair stuff in one of those travel toiletry bags that you can hang on a hook.

opadit

How about going in with a big bin or container once a week, taking everything up off the floor, and putting it in “jail” for a month?

When my daughter was little, if she abused a toy or was misbehaving with it somehow, the toy would “go to toy jail” (say, up on a high shelf or in the linen closet) until she got her act together — some age-appropriate amount of time. I think a month is a good time for a teenager, especially if what goes to jail is something like homework or a school project, and she gets a low grade.

OK, maybe only a week for school things. But what I think would work really well here is clothes, electronics, and books. I can hear my daughter now asking for her favorite pair of jeans, or her iPod, or a book she was in the middle of reading, or the outfit she really really really wanted to wear to a friend’s birthday party. Because, well, if she really really really wanted to wear it, it wouldn’t have been discarded on the floor, would it? She has plenty of dresser drawers and hangers and hooks in the closet.

Sorry, the OP was about accessories. Clearly, I have a personal problem with clothes on the floor, LOL.

Periwinkle

Hats – I would probably just try boxes/baskets. I don’t wear hats, but I do have a scarf habit, and no matter what fancy method of organising I try, it works best just to put them in a box and have one or two with my coat and swap them over once in a while. Alternatively, you could try getting some of those heads that hold hats or headphones (one or two of those for current hats and the rest in a box maybe?).

Hairbands – Again, a basket or a tray is just the best way to go. Believe me – I have approximately 2309482 hairbands and I’ve tried everything.

Toiletries – I’d go with stuff she uses a lot (deodorant, current perfume/body spray, toothpaste etc.) stays out and everything else goes in a box. She can always go and get something out of the box if she wants it but it doesn’t live on show.

Makeup – I keep the makeup I wear a lot in a mug (I only wear eyeliner/mascara/concealer so a mug is fine) and the rest in a bag. I’d suggest something similar – everyday stuff on one place, out-of-the-ordinary stuff probably in the box with toiletries just to keep it out of the way. It’s always there if you need it.

Hair stuff – Depends what it is, really. If you can give more detail, that would be good – I have had a LOT of hair stuff over the years and must have stored everything at one point or another!

Earrings – It’s gotta be earring hangers. I have two stud ones for my studs and one rotating one for dangly earrings. They’re available very cheaply – try ebay.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.