Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets Opinion Poll: Clothing to get rid of

This topic contains 21 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Jackthetiger 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Arisena

Hello everyone, I feel really stuck on this, and need some advice.
    Basic situation:
    I am a chronic mover, due to school, jobs, family. I used to travel between SF and Washington state every 6 months or so. I started a habit of just getting rid of obvious items and packing everything else up to sort “some other day”. That day has finally arrived and now I have a pile of clothing I’ve been going through.
    I have a lot of sweaters and work clothes that my mom-in-law gave me, that I just never sorted through. These are kind of 80s/early 90s short. Like almost belly button short, and don’t fit my style. Some are in really good shape, others a little less so (small unobtrusive stains, slight wear). I’m just not sure what to do with them. Right now my options are:

1. cut up for rags
    2. sew into soft balls and teddy bears (something I have done before for three nieces and nephew, however, they are now on Guam, so I have no idea who I would give them to)
    3. Goodwill/freecycle/craigslist

I’m just torn, I could use them at home, but I know other people would still wear them! Help!

jbeany

Opinion Poll: Clothing to get rid of

How about some of all 3 options?
    Save no more than two or three T’s for rags. Cut them up immediately and store with your cleaning gear.
    Save no more than 2 or 3 of the softest, fuzziest things for future toy projects – sooner or later, someone you know will get preggers.

Both of the above options limited by space considerations, of course. The sewing option also limited by desire. Do you actually like the sewing? If not, get rid of them all and buy something practical and consumable for new moms, like diaper rash lotions and baby shampoos.
    Goodwill all the rest in one fell swoop, and get a tax deduction slip to help with next year’s taxes. You haven’t worn them in nearly 2 decades – it’s time to set them free!

Emilie

I think jbeany’s advice is right-on!

Arisena

For whatever reason, I always think of things as all or nothing. I kept imagining making 15 different teddy bears, and just being stuck with those. Thank you so much for your advice jbeany. Thinking about that plan of attack feels really freeing. Plus, it isn’t that I’ve been carting them around for 20 years, I’m only 23. My MiL giving them to me was a way for her to unclutter, and now I can do the tough work for her!

Thanks! I’m sorting through the shirts right now for the softest!

Netleigh

Arisena,
    Seriously, unless you want to dress like the 80’s just go ahead and donate them all without going through them. Why give yourself a task with MiL’s uncluttering!

loripax

Ditto what everyone else said. That stuff is way out of style, and at 23 you are far too young to dress like someone from your parents’ generation. This is the time in your life when you should be developing your own style. Goodwill the lot and be done with it.

Periwinkle

I would just donate them – less effort and someone else might find something better to do with them.

Anonymous

Donate, don’t save for a project that you don’t have the time of passion to do today! Or put a label on them “Donate after April 30”. If you have not sewn the sweaters into toys by April, think how hot and sticky you will feel trying to sew them in summer, and donate them!

bandicoot

o yes, it is absolutely time to let them go!
    just donate them.

Parsifal

Donate the lot to a thrift store or Goodwill. No one else wants 80s duds. I used to cut up old tees for dust rags, a habit I picked up from my mother. Then I realized I never actually dust and just started tossing old tee shirts. I have yet to need a dustcloth and not have one!

I vote for donate.

Julia

I vote “donate” as well BUT – if you have office/interview-suitable clothes that are clean and neat, even if a bit out of fashion – they may be useful for low-income women who are trying to enter the job market. Many cities have special clothing banks for this purpose – so that women don’t have to invest in interview-type clothing before they ever have a job.

Your community college, a nearby church, or a shelter ought to be able to locate such a place for you. This is a really important tool for women getting a first step up and out.

lucy1965

Honey, you’re my son’s age — take Julia’s advice, give anything interview-worthy to your local Dress for Success affiliate, and take the rest to the nearest thrift store.

I, too, suggest donating all of them. I think sometimes we (as unclutterers) spend too much time worrying about what to do with the items when really we just need to get them out of our lives for good! (I am a victim of this and once the items are donated I never regret doing it!)

JuliaJayne

I totally agree with themusiclives that we can spend too much time worrying about how to get rid of our unwanted stuff.

Release your stuff to the universe — It feels good, and happily donating stuff without worrying about who gets it is good karma ๐Ÿ™‚

Set yourself deadlines for the first 2. And once that deadline passes – all of it goes to donation within the week.

That way you get to do the other options, but if you don’t have time you don’t have to hold onto them. And you don’t have to feel guilty about it either.

moleculelad

Clothing clutter is an easy one for me. When i was hurt on joba and disabled, i had alot of time so i started helping people get what was needed by doing research to locate clothing that was being given, gotten rid of, letting peole with with clothing clutter can send to me to give the needy. I dont get anything out of it but knowing happiness of a person getting clothing they really needed and also raise their self esteem. I put in alot of long hours researching to find clothing needed. Believe me wheni say there were times i could help people. I really felt bad not being able to. Just to find clothing donated for needy is a needle in the haystack. But people want clothingnclutter gone and people get whatever is donated

Sky

Set yourself free, let them go and maybe someone else can use them. Sometimes we spend way too much time on items that just aren’t worth it!

chacha1

All of the above. And the next time someone “gives” you stuff they are clearing out of their closet, do not pass GO – just take it straight to Goodwill. ๐Ÿ™‚

Agree with the donate suggestions. I had it happen to me and after six months of hogging my son’s closet with all these out of date but high quality clothes, I took them to the thrift store. I felt better once they were donated.

Jackthetiger

Donate it all and get it out of your life! If you are not going to wear it, it is just a waste of space.

If it is 1980s and 1990s stuff, you might find that it is sought after by fashion conscious teenagers wanting to do the “retro” thing and wear the clothes “ironically”. Don’t be tempted to keep them and do the retro style yourself. It tends to only look good on people who were not there the first time ๐Ÿ™‚ You gotta love teenagers; we were all there once!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.