Home Forums Technology Online usernames – do you close them or just forget them?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Astreja 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

I’m pretty good with keeping digital stuffage under control (I would not pass the ZenHabits test, but that’s because I do not support my family by giving minimalist advice).

But… online accounts, places where you have a username and password, places you have to sign in so that you can order a copy of the out of print book your partner wants as a gift or forums that you need to join for a specific life situation that then passes.

Do you go back and close those accounts or do you just forget about them?

Mimi

Online usernames – do you close them or just forget them?

i save the username and pasword into my “big book of everything” to avoid closing and re-opening the account. and then i forget about it. if e.g. an onlineshop starts to be annoying by sending newsletters, i close the account.

Swaps

I have closed quite a few but it is not always possible to close such type of accounts…so I forget about them.

Xiro

Most stay open even if they are old. I do have a complete record of every site I have used with my current user names I have been using for a decade or sooner. One thing I did do was go to online shops and made sure my credit card info was not saved as they do not need that on file.

@Xiro, that has turned out to be the heart of my question after some more thinking – places that I have ordered from and they may have my financial information.

I have a record of usernames, I’ve just been wondering what to do with the ones that I no longer use. I’ll go through all of the old sites and make sure I close or delete any with financial info.

Thank you!

Xiro

Lifekeepshapping – I originally did that some time ago then just took another look and found a handful of outdated information or sites that no longer needed that information, if I want to order something I will just type it in. I have never closed a site before, I just stop using places, I have dozens of accounts I have not touched in years or months though I still have a record of them.

What annoyed me about Netflix and Blockbuster is they do not let me delete credit card info only change it. Like hey! My business if I want it gone.

ninakk

I go through the whole email, all its contents before deleting and closing. This means I also close all other accounts that have been related to a particular address. Oh.my.god. how tedious it is and sloooooooooooow.

The best part about not being too hasty though is that I actually don’t think I’ve missed a single place to close so far. It feels like cleaning up a real mess and until I’m ready to do it properly, I leave it be.

Eta
    I think part of my online mess is that I’ve “sought” for a long time and I’m only now, at 30+, beginning to understand myself well enough to see what genuinely interests me and what is just blargh. When finally starting afresh, I’ll also keep in mind privacy issues and what place shouldn’t get what type of information; rather a couple of crap email addresses than too much information available to some place (think Facebook).

dianejerry

i have once or twice closed out on forums that were somewhat unpleasant or clique-ish and deleted all my entries. childish i know, but it made me feel better. now i am more select on sites i join or else log on as a guest.
    in terms of consumer sites i just let them go. often enough they close me down for being inactive.

Xiro

Reminds me, completely moving over to a new e-mail address can be troublesome, far too many places act like your account cannot be changed from that e-mail, that is messed up, no account should ever be tired to an e-mail and cannot be changed. Just countless accounts to move and issue after issue, once that was done I am going to be sticking with my current accounts for some time. (For good)

Irulan

I close out accounts that have identifying information, and I unsubscribe from listserves. I hate how almost every store and site will automatically put you on their email lists no matter how many times you choose not to subscribe.

I’ve got more email account than I need but consolidating them is kind of a pain, especially because I also like to keep my work stuff separate from my volunteer and personal stuff.

xhan
    Participant

Just reading through this I had to register to share this little tidbit with you guys. I came across it a while ago. Its very handy for the privacy conscious!

Its one of the best hidden features of gmail.

Basically whenever you register on a forum/amazon/suspicious looking site, instead of using [email protected] sign up with [email protected] or [email protected]

Then setup filters to apply labels if you want. or ignore them it doesn’t matter. The useful thing is is that if you suddenly receive an email from amazon to your [email protected] email address – it means your account data has been sold on!

sleepykitten

Very cool trick, @xhan! Thanks!

Astreja
    Participant

I unsubscribe if possible; otherwise, I scramble the password so even I don’t know it, and delete the bookmark. Generally I don’t delete any content I’ve contributed to a site, but I do let sites fall away if I’m not using them.

Whenever possible, I sign up using an alias rather than with my RL name. There are a couple of work-related accounts, banking and utilities where I use my legal name, but no forums or social media sites. (Facebook was an exception: I was trying to connect with high school friends and used the name they knew me by, but I closed that account down a long time ago.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.