Home Forums Work Office move = blank canvas, any tips for filing/organisation

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Claycat 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Rostance

Hello everyone!

I’m a self-employed video designer and next week I’m moving into a new office. I can’t help but get excited about the potential for this to be a great blank-canvas to re-work my office organisation from the ground up. I am looking for ideas/inspiration for re-working a small, one-person business filing system so that I can keep finances, project management and physical paperwork under control.

Does anyone have any links or examples of how they organise their office or home office filing? How you categorize things and ideas for keeping paperwork/post/finance in tip-top system?

Obviously that may be a lot to ask, but I always enjoy looking the really organised files in the before/after pictures on here and getting an insight into how organised the files are inside would be great.

Thanks!

Neil

lottielot

Office move = blank canvas, any tips for filing/organisation

ooh, how exciting! I have absolutely no ideas though! Have you tried doing a search on here for threads about office organisation? I always have a sneaking suspicion when I see the workplace photos that they’re too tidy for any work to actually be done efficiently 🙂 It really depends what kind of paperwork you’ll be needing to store as well, I would keep it simple if possible and try to make everything in electronic format as much as possible too. Good luck!

Claycat

I’m such a disorganized person, I actually purchased a program that taught me how to create a filing system. I may have linked up to it on this site. I’m not sure. However, it’s great! I will see if I can find the link.

Claycat

Here it is, The Fast Filing Method. I have put it into practice, and it is working for me.

http://www.clearsimpleliving.com/athomeproducts

You can get the digital program for $34.95, and it’s worth it.

It’s up to you. You might be able to find some suggestions on youtube.

bandicoot

claycat, i am giving that filing system some serious thought.
    i have never worked in an office and i was never taught to file.
    my own filing system has been slapped together over the years and i suspect it isn’t all that fabulous.
    thanks muchly for the link.
    i’ll get christmas out of the way and give this some more thought before the new year.

Rostance

Thanks Claycat, i’m having a look at the link now…very interesting may invest in that!

Lottielot, i think you’re right, keeping it simple may be the best approach. It’s mostly financial, contracts, supplier documents and lots of other little things that I find hard to categorize! I’ll do some more trawling through these forums and see if anyone has had any brainwaves in the past and has come up with some good ideas.

chacha1

Rostance, it may be worth your while (and probably a small consulting fee) to have an experienced business person come in and advise you on setting up (for example) a Quickbooks program to manage your business finances. Whatever works within the Quickbooks environment will be a good template to setting up physical files AND a computer file structure. If you have a friend who works as an office manager or bookkeeper they may be willing/happy to help you out.

Hollyuk

I’m very interested in the Fast Filing Method, but I can’t view the page – it says it is because I am using Internet Explorer and I don’t really want to download another internet browser. Can someone tell me a bit more about it please? Thanks

pkilmain

You’re right Holly. I usually use Internet Explorer as well and couldn’t see all of the page. I do have Firefox on my PC as well, and it shows up fine there. There’s not a lot of information about how it works on the website, mostly just one liners to get you to buy the system.

Claycat

This is the lady who created the Fast Filing Method.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ClearSimpleLiving

You may have to copy and paste the above link.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.