Home Forums Technology Off-site backup help – would like to back up everything :-)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  xhan 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

mili

Hey there πŸ™‚

the backup system I have right now iis pretty good actually – it’s the Time Machine application that comes with every mac, and as I have it plugged in all the time, I do feel like I’m getting the most out of it (haven’t had to use it to restore the whole drive so far *phew* – just a file or two that I was too quick in deleting, that kind of thing).

But I’m still a bit insecure because of how much important stuff I have on here, so I would love the ability to have a comprehensive off-site backup, too. Especially because the external drive I’m using for these backups is only a cheapie WD passport, which have been known to *gulp* fail! (at the time I started I foolishly doubted whether I would really continue with this, so I chose one of the lower-end options! But now I’m stuck since I have backups there from the earliest days of this computer :-/)

It doesn’t have to be as effortless/automated as the Time Machine thing, or nearly as frequent; about once a week, twice if I’m creating a lot of new content, should be enough. But what I would like to have, if it is possible, is the ability to just back up my entire home folder, rather than manually select files. Which means that the kind of service that offers a few gigs of space isn’t gonna work – my home folder is about 85 GB as it stands.

Is something like that even possible? If so, how do I go about it please?

bandicoot

Off-site backup help – would like to back up everything πŸ™‚

i have actually considered a second time machine for this.
    but i’d wait and see what the cloud can offer you.
    you may very well be able to park it all in cyber space eventually.

luxcat

I use Carbonite and have been very happy with it.

mili

so luxcat, this is like time machine except it backs up to their servers instead of my hard drive, right?

It does look neat, unfortunately it only seems to be for people in North America (US, Canada) plus france and the UK, so I’m out! *boo*

any other thoughts? I’m not opposed to doing something a bit geekier like ftp servers or whatever they’re called πŸ™‚ That stuff is above my current skill level lol, but I *have* been wanting to learn so if I have clear instructions I can do anything πŸ™‚

documentsnap

I made a YouTube video on different backup options a while ago. Not sure if it is cool to link to my own stuff, so if you go to YouTube and search for “documentsnap backup computer” you’ll see it.

For what I do, I do Time Machine and SuperDuper for my local backups, CrashPlan+ to backup to online backup, and then I also use the free CrashPlan to backup to a hard drive I leave at a friend’s house. Sounds like overkill probably, but i don’t believe you can have overkill when it comes to backup.

bandicoot

google carbonite plus your country and you’ll see more options.

nws2002

I use Backblaze. For me it didn’t bog down my computer as much as Carbonite, but even Carbonite wasnt as bad as most anti-virus programs. I’m not sure if it is available for those outside the U.S. or not.

loulabelle

Personally, I’ve been using dropbox for about 2 years and have been very happy with it. I just shifted my folder tree into the dropbox folder and know its backed up at all times. They do have options for selective sync of files too on paid accounts, and I think they are working on ‘assigning’ dropbox tp folders for people that dont want to shift their file structure!

The only other service I can think of, (but have never used) is sugarsync.

Just another couple of ideas to add to your review list! Hope you find something that works for you!!

luxcat

I think Carbonite has versions for use outside north america, but not sure.
    What I like is that you can customize how it backs things up and how much memory it is allowed to take up doing so. If you set it to not use up a lot of resources it backs your new or revised items up very slowly, but then if you know you’ll be away during the day and you want to back up your stuff faster, you can just (with a couple clicks) set it to max backup speed. Also there are NO file size limits. Unless dropbox has changed I think they limit it? could be wrong there as I never was a real drop box user.

If you have a lot to back up the first big copy onto their server can take days…

mili

wow, that’s so many great new suggestions! thanks πŸ™‚

I had intended to try things out and then post here with the results to let you know how your efforts helped :-), but there’s too many possibilities to do that effectively for now πŸ™‚ So I’ll just try them out in due time and then maybe come back in a few weeks or thereabouts! Or just pay it forward if someone else asks πŸ˜‰

and documentsnap, you won’t hear *me* complaining that it’s overkill! I mean, I’m an archaeology grad (and history nerd lol), so archival preservation is always something I bear in mind. And the school I went to had a special working group dealing with the issue of technological obsolescence as pertains to History and Archaeology (particularly regarding records of previous digs where things like lists of finds etc would be on old floppies and the like, but also broader questions like how much of today’s written word – including what we’re doing here! – has very different preservation challenges compared to ink and paper/parchment πŸ™‚

I will also probably do a double backup for the cloud, and also seriously consider the logistics of having another semi-local backup (like the hard drive at your friend’s house). As I was writing this I even got the idea of who I could ask (It’s not the kind of thing you can ask of anyone, I guess πŸ™‚

well! I’m feeling a bit more confident about this now πŸ™‚ I like that I can be up and running within minutes, it seems, so I will probably start by trying all the free versions then culling the ones I like the least all the way down to two. But if anyone remembers another option, feel free to add it here! I wouldn’t say no, that’s for sure πŸ™‚

loulabelle

Yay mili, I am a history grad (and probably archaeology nerd lol!), and qualified as an archivist last year! Too true, the field is becoming more and more about digital preservation and digitisation of collections, there’s actually loads of good articles and websites out there on things like that if people are interested. PDF now is an international standard (if it’s saved as PDF/A) so that should survive and be migratable. Sometimes the metadata surrounding the original file is lost though through migration, it depends how important that is to you. In an archive it’s pretty critical, but with my own files, meh, it’s probably not that critical, I doubt any of my stuff is archive worthy!

Good luck with your backup strategy! Would love to hear your results!

mili

loulabelle – nicely done! congrats on your new degree πŸ™‚ Archivists are real geeks from what I can tell – some of the most technically minded in the entire humanities field. Also somewhat under-appreciated I think – by students and sadly even professors! Does that mean you can also do all that funky paleography stuff too? reading 16th century letters and the like? ‘Cause I’ve always thought that’s pretty bad-ass πŸ˜› (I keep meaning to do that palaeography 101 online tutorial they have on the National Archives website, but then I forget to get started lol)

I knew there was a reason I liked PDF! Lately I’m mainly using it to share documents with Windows users (I run Mac). But what’s PDF/A?

My personal stuff is definitely not archive worthy at the macroscopic level – humanity or even just society – but it is for my own life! I do a lot of writing (getting started on longer fiction pieces now, too) and take pictures semi-professionally, as well. So I’d be pretty upset to lose what I have πŸ™‚

My goal is to be a paragon of backing-up virtue & general computer ‘housekeeping’ by around six months from now (ie around Easter) – that is, by that time I need not only to have settled on those two cloud backup services, but also to have been running them for a few months, and most of all, to have my entire hard drive properly tidied up and all my ducks in a row in terms of online identities (right now it’s kind of a mess because I have a bunch of email addresses to be able to have say one youtube for personal and one for professional stuff, etc etc – it all needs to be consolidated a bit better).

So it’s still fairly early on in the process, but I will try to revive the thread in the meantime for the various stops along the way πŸ™‚

and of course, if you’re a history grad being an archaeology nerd is par for the course (and vice versa). Probably the most closely related pair of ‘sister disciplines’, at least in the humanities, aren’t they πŸ™‚

nws2002

@loulabelle mentioned Dropbox. While I don’t use Dropbox for all of my backups because I have so much music, video and photos, I do have important files saved there. Things like a scan of my passport, house paperwork, car paperwork, insurance, and other things that might need to be quickly accessed remotely. I’m also working on my master’s degree and have been using Dropbox to save all of those related files so I can access them at work, at home, on my iPad, in the school computer labs, etc. I trust Dropbox way more than the USB flash drive I was using for this purpose before.

mdfloyd

I use Time Machine and Dropbox AND Backupify. Both Backupify and Dropbox are free (unless you need more storage). Backupify runs automatically and I rarely think about it; I back things up to Dropbox all the time; I use Time Machine at mostly regular intervals.

Bizteck

Hi Millie
    You stated that you are creating a lot of new content. The question you need to ask yourself is one of worst case scenario. If there was a disaster how much work are you prepared to lose and how long would it take you to recreate that work, if at all possible. I feel that the simplest solution would be to do an automated on line backup. There are many companies out there today offering unlimited storage for a pittance. You select the folders you want backed up and the frequency. For example every evening between 11pm and 7 am. No-one is around, there is no interference with work programs. It is done when you sleep. What happens is that all your data is uploaded once. Any changes made to that data or new data is then added to your backup. The cost, probably around Β£5 (UK pounds) or $7 per month. Weigh this with the cost of an external hard disk and having to physically do the backup it is a no brainer. Regards Gordon http://www.ourtechguy.co.uk

pwm78

I have an old subscription to to IDrive, which works fine and is pretty cheap, $5/month for unlimited storage, or free for 5 GB, which isn’t much these days. ADrive gives 50 GB free, but back when I started the interface was slow (seems to have been updated recently). I also have my newer one on Crash Plan, which was recommended here, I believe. I like that automates my local disk backups along with the offsite backup, and that it is incremental. It would be nice to have all my computers on one system, but for now I’m fine with this.

xhan
    Participant

I looked into loads of cloud storage systems the other month. AWS, Glacier, Box.net, Dropbox.

By far the cheapest was flickr. At least for photos! you get unlimited storage and access to full res photos. theres no multi download tool but its so nice to just be able to call up a photo from 2004 form anywhere in the world! (took mea botu 3 months to upload all my photos there)

For data I’m using box.net. I have a 50GB free account. (legacy account 512mb from each referral) but their also pretty cheap to backup all my documents/work, keeping it all to a minimum and adding as many docs/pdfs as I can to evernote. (mmm pdf searching!)

Code and projects are going in github or a linode server with an svn repository /geek

music will be added to google music.

then I have my 4 2tb ext harddrives….think I need an offsite location too though… perhaps work.

The autobackup is a conundrum. I currently have a system of colouring folders, orange then green if they;ve been backed up. (mac)

For my music to my external drive I use transmit. I wrote a little article on it here: http://www.femgeek.co.uk/reliably-merge-folders-on-mac-for-backups/

hope this helps. I always find that organising the data is the easy bit – its sticking to it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.