Home Forums Welcome Hello! November 2012 Goals

This topic contains 60 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Ella 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Happy Halloween, everyone! Looking back, the past six months or so have been chaotic for me. A lot of the disruption stemmed from MIL issues: some planned, like the clearing out & renovation of her home, and much unplanned, such as her stroke and relocation to a home care facility. In that time there was also six weeks away from home on vacation (unprecedented!) The rest of the year will be dedicated to get back on track — I hope. Who knows!

(1) I need to invest effort in getting my self-care back on track — back on Weight Watchers, back to regular Pilates, etc. I do well with a routine, not so well without. Only 8 more 10K walks to make it 50 for the year, so I want to be sure to get that done, too. We got NINE walks accomplished in 10 days in New England!

(2) Start the 8-week home cure. The book is waiting for me at the library — yeah! I hope this might send me off in some new, productive directions — we’ll see.

(3) Get the handy couple moving on some of the projects we have lined up — repairing or replacing the MIL’s destroyed deck, getting my new garden beds built, getting the carport built, and, subsequently, getting a home rainwater collection system installed. Don’t expect to get all this done, but should be able to get it scheduled and started.

(4) Work a bit on the garage gym — I can at least get the wall painted and the flooring ordered. Some of the work depends on DH, and he has been in lazy mode. There’s no rush on this but I want to continue to progress so that it doesn’t whither and die. Order the glass top for the vintage sewing machine base — it will go in the sunroom where the treadmill now languishes, so will be a motivation to work on the gym.

(5) And, of course, keep up with the good things I HAVE been doing, such as ATAD, FATAD and leaving the house company-ready when I walk out the door. If I hadn’t been doing these things, life would have been much worse.

chacha1

November 2012 Goals

Hi SIT, you have been a top achiever for the past couple of years now. πŸ™‚

I am not setting any goals for November. I think I will lurk quietly and then chime in toward the end of the month if there is actually anything I have managed to finish, LOL.

November 2012 Goals

Thanks, chacha — sometime I forget how far I have come! I guess my standards are improving. Went to Pilates today — in honor of Halloween, Celilia gave us a “monster” workout and I will feel it tomorrow.

Ella

November 2012 Goals

My November goals revolve around improving my health. The thread for decluttering fat over the holidays was perfectly timed to give me the encouragement I needed. My endocrinologist wants to put me on insulin to control my high blood sugar. But I have never ever wanted to reach that point. Instead, I am determined to get my weight back down in order to bring those numbers down. I would like to lose another 4-5 pounds in November. My next endo appointment is November 27, and I hope to show good improvement by then.

And if I can get my sleeping better regularized, that will also help my numbers. This will require a great deal of mental decluttering every night before bedtime. That’s a goal for which I still need to formulate a plan, and maybe I’ll start a thread to enlist some help.

Paper wise, I want to continue the 15 minutes of daily reading and decluttering my old letters. There’s nobody else I want to return letters to, but I tell ya, sending that huge box off to my ex-friend really cleared a huge mental roadblock standing in the way of the other letters. I just need to put in the time, and don’t anticipate any more anguish about it.

Finally (though this is one of my earliest goals in November), I want to move into a smaller storage unit so I can reduce my rent. I haven’t been posting about this, because I wasn’t confident that I could do it. But I have, bit by bit, decluttered enough stuff to be able to go down a size now. The biggest space waster was the wall of boxes containing old project files. My 15-minutes method demolished that wall. Now I’m waiting to hear back from my mover guys about making the move, hopefully within the first week of November.

November 2012 Goals

November Goals:
    1. eat real food every day and attend yoga class twice a week
    2. finish bedroom closet and broom closet decorating, plan bathroom makeover
    3. get midwinter gifts and cards made/bought and sent to England
    4. sort the office… sigh… again… ugh
    5. stock freezer for Thanksgiving – yummmmmmmm!!!!
    6. decide with kids and exhusband which bits of furniture etc they want to keep when I move.
    7. finish administrative loose ends on daughter’s disability services and guardianship.

I also plan to keep a log every day for the whole month of what I achieve each day, so that I can review at the end of the month and look for patterns that link to nutrition, sleep, socializing, hormonal flux, stress etc. It would be so helpful to anticipate days like today when I should have just stuck a movie in and wrapped up in a blanket for the day.

Irulan

November 2012 Goals

This will be a high-travel, low-goals month. In October I ended up with a huge extra project on my volunteer schedule that ate up a lot of my free time.

Work: take on enough assignments to earn a bonus
    Volunteer: continue to network
    Home: Goodwill or Purple Heart drop
    Outline 2013 budget and savings plan

Netleigh

November 2012 Goals

November will be inspired by Ninakk suggesting revisiting the Home Cure.

I will focus on dealing with things noted in week 1 (last week) that need fixing, otherwise I will enjoy feeling calm with no ridiculous deadlines looming!

ninakk

November 2012 Goals

Thanks for starting, Susan! October is here:
    https://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/goals-october-2012

Will have to ponder a bit before posting.

November 2012 Goals

Working extra hard to keeping it super simple again for November. It worked out well for me in October, and I don’t want to get into my usual “holiday stressed out self” that tends to happen about this time of year.
    1. Still keep up with my 15mins a day of de-cluttering.
    2. get as much stuff as possible rounded up for the barn sale.
    3. extra effort into not getting up to dirty dishes
    4. Meal planning-freezer cooking for winter
    5. paint the little bathroom
    6. Adding a few stretches to my morning routine. That seems to help my mornings.
    7. host a nice Thanksgiving dinner for my family, or about 40 of them.

Lyerin

November 2012 Goals

I haven’t posted in ages, but I’m ready to be back on track!

1. Continue my great work on decluttering me – exercise 5x per week and eat well every day.
    2. Return to regular decluttering projects: this month declutter: playroom, desk (mine), kitchen drawers and kids’ closets.

November 2012 Goals

Lyerin — good to have you back!

ninakk

November 2012 Goals

Health:
    – Sleep; more and better.
    – Stay committed to counting kcal and logging every day for all of Healthy Diet Habits (stage 2) at SparkPeople; go through habits 2-5 and a couple of days of habit 6.
    – Make meal plans for a week at a time, shop for groceries in a controlled fashion once weekly (possibly once mid-week too) and be mindful of not having food go bad.

[b]Home:
    – Do the Home Cure weeks 2-5 and a couple of days of week 6.

Psychology:[/b]
    – Study for test at the end of the month.

I’ve decided to post business-related goals elsewhere from now on, as it is more appropriate in that setting.

Astreja
    Participant

November 2012 Goals

My goals for November are to participate in National Novel Writing Month, continue to winterize the house, and finally get the Once and Future Bathroom up and running.

bandicoot

November 2012 Goals

it’s november already!
    *alarm*

today, i have started another 21 day raw vegan no booze no coffee no sugar no gluten extravaganza.
    sprouts are underway. vegetables are culturing. brown rice is cooking. bananas are ripening. there is a shopping list for purchase tomorrow, and a local farmer’s market that i am attending purely as a customer.
    my big exceptions are salmon oil capsules and honey and green tea.
    i want to feel like i did in february, again.

i need to change my yoga practise to thirty minutes each morning, rather than the inconsistent fits and starts i have been enduring.
    tomorrow is the first day.
    the plan is to get up, make green tea and green smoothies, see the husband off to work, then do the yoga FIRST THING.
    additionally, i have signed up for a week long daily inspiration to start an exercise habit video. that starts any minute now, i will know when it hits my inbox.

i have no major cleaning or house goals this month. i got more done in october on that front than i imagined. but i’ll join in with the home cure when i can, because it is incredible. and zone cleaning is working out just fine.
    every month i have been hoping to surive tiling the house and each month, the tiler has cancelled.
    it may indeed happen this month, but i am no longer sweating it.

i have been randomly trying out the no-shampoo thing.
    from once daily shampooing (for the last thirty plus years) i am down to once every four days.
    i have been brushing vigorously, then rinsing with warm water and a few drops of essential oils on the shampooless days and my hair looks fine. i think that really short hair helps in my case.
    i am planning to continue and expand on this experiment in november and cut out the shampoo altogether, replacing it with baking soda and vinegar.

i have loads of business goals in mind for november, really too much to bang on about here.

herisff

November 2012 Goals

I need to keep it simple this month:

1) survive working 12+ hour days when I’m on call, and hope we soon have a candidate good enough to be hired. No relief in sight on all the overtime until someone is hired and trained! Now I do like getting paid for the overtime, it’s the really long shifts day after day after day that are getting to me.

2) Finish taking all the sealant/grout/etc off after removing the sliding shower doors in the master bath. I discovered that the tub is fiberglass and not porcelain, and rather worn and scratched (and painted) fiberglass at that – so I won’t get it spotless/shiny, but I can at least get the excess sealant/crud off before my friend comes to watch the dogs over Thanksgiving.

3) Put together the exercise/TV room before Thanksgiving. My dog-sitting friend likes to watch TV (which I don’t) so the least I can do is have a place where she can watch some DVDs!

4) Survive flying off to see the family again. Will be staying on the floor at my sister’s place, then traveling with sister and mother to go see aunt (mother’s sister) for Thanksgiving Day, then heading off to see a show with sister and mother (the Lion King, I’ve heard it’s a good show which mother will hopefully enjoy as it’s her Christmas gift!).

bandicoot

November 2012 Goals

instead of yoga, i am having a huge caffeine headache that has lasted all damned day.
    misery.
    but i haven’t buckled and had the coffee. i am drinking detox tea and moving around verrrrrry slowly so as not to jiggle my head, which is made of crystal, doing laundry and organising food in slow-mo.
    it may last another day, and it may not. i hope it is gone tomorrow, because i have a busy market.

sleepykitten

November 2012 Goals

November already! Yikes.

So, October was the most busy month at work I’ve had, uh, pretty much ever. And that is really saying something. Almost everything non-work has gone out the window. Husband and I are definitely feeling some strain in our relationship because of the high stress – we are OK, but until we can both relax and reconnect, things are precarious. Furthermore, some deadlines I *should have* met in October are unfortunately still with me as I start November, because I wasn’t physically able to get everything done that needed to be done. So this first week in November is basically going to be “October, continued” and not a clean break.

My health is probably the most urgent priority right now. Eating actual, home-cooked food. Exercising. Sleeping in the bed and not on the sofa. But I don’t have the heart to formulate those things into actual goals right now.

canuckeh

November 2012 Goals

November goals:
    1) Sign up for swimming lessons and take advantage of the 44% discount at the community centre/pool for monthly pass by actually using the pool on a regular basis.
    2) Continue with the learn to run group and sign up for the ‘santa shuffle’ fun race held in December.
    3) Continue with WW, learning from the ups and downs of daily journal entries. Long lasting habits will take a long while to form (applies to so many areas this forum deals with, clutter-wise).
    4) Enjoy learning Portuguese in 10 minutes a day book (purchased in 2001 and just found when going through the bookcase)!
    5) Cut way back on coffee consumption and replace with drinking water.

sleepykitten

November 2012 Goals

As I hang out on the forum, I am starting to formulate some goals:

1) Do one good thing for my health each day. It may take me a while to ease back into a full range of good habits, but I can either cook a healthy meal from scratch or do exercise or meditate or go to sleep early – whatever works. And I have a feeling if I do one good thing each day, other good things will follow.

2) Talk through possible downsizing pros/cons with husband and get a better understanding of whether we want to try and list our house next year or wait a bit longer.

3) Apartment Therapy eight step home cure. Fun!

4) Re-start my nightly “one sentence” journal (idea via the Happiness Project blog; modified by me)

5) Post five blog entries on my newish blog that I am still not quite sure I am ready to share with everyone because it will cause my “uncluttering self” and my “day job” self to collide. I wish there was a way to send private messages on this forum!

clutterbug22

November 2012 Goals

sleepykitten, you sound a bit worn out from your post from the previous page, make sure you get to bed rather than the sofa, for some decent sleep. I know it can be easy, I’ve dozed off on the sofa in the past after watching late night junk on the TV but several nights on the sofa is definitely not refreshing, if you feel tempted to just veg there just think of me, I’ll be there to tell you off! lol! And if you are trying to eat well, home-made soups are quick and healthy.

My goals for November-

1) The 8 step Home Cure – it’ll be nice to try to get the place reasonably presentable by Christmas.

2) Finish my zone cleaning that I started in October following ‘Clean Mama’s’ 31 Day October challenge, only got a few days into it but I’m sure I can finish by the end of the month.

3) Sort out my paperwork!!

lottielot

November 2012 Goals

I just looked at October and it was mostly a big fat fail, but thanks for the hogs πŸ™‚
    I didn’t do the applications, luckily a whole load more have been advertised so I will do those, deadline is 22nd November. The reason I didn’t do the applications was sheer procrastination, I really really struggled with this all October. It was either a hangover from the masters or a stress thing or…something. My ADHD has been horrific lately, I am frittering my life away here getting nothing done but the odd tedious chore given to me by dh (he is in full on PA delegation mode now I have no study or job to do). I have so much stuff I should do or want to do flying round my head that I do almost nothing, I’m sick of feeling such a failure.
    Anyway:
    Do applications WELL before deadline, so stuff can’t crop up at the last minute
    Take action on PhD rather than idly googling stuff once a week and not doing anything about it
    Book some races, there are lots I fancy (incidentally, I got 2 PBs in October and learnt finally to get over race nerves and now I really love racing!)
    Find a reliable babysitter, I’m sick of an unreliable never available one
    Get curtains for office
    Blitz kids’ rooms
    Buy shoe cupboard, it’s proving so hard to find something suitable as it’s such an awkward sized corner, but I had the idea to get something made if dh agrees
    Plant bulbs and buy cherry trees
    Work on my ADHD rather than thinking about it

sleepykitten

November 2012 Goals

@clutterbug – I *am* a bit worn out! And you are correct, the sofa is not a refreshing place to sleep, but I have collapsed there *many* nights this past month. Ugh. I’m glad you will be here (virtually at least) to yell at me to go to bed! Soup is a good idea – I loooove soup and I have some really good recipes that I almost know by heart.

@lottielot – don’t beat yourself up! You will do great in November. The theme on your list seems to be “work rather than worry” which I can 100% relate to. Sometimes I use energy thinking about things instead of taking action.

djk

November 2012 Goals

Lottielot–failure? no my dear, you are far from that. Your energetic, enthusiastic blitzing and wit have been something for me to look forward to. Use that wacky ADHD and turn it to creative solutions so I can get MY butt motivated by YOURS.

no pressure, of course (insert evil eyebrow raise at this point)

bandicoot

November 2012 Goals

i joined a local coop buy of bulk nuts and dried fruit.
    my delivery came today.
    freshest almonds and walnuts and brazilnuts everrrrr.
    even the macadamias were good and we grow those here.
    i am through my caffeine angst and drinking a lot of water.
    i have started a groove of taking fish oil capsules regularly, by tying them to breakfast.
    no dedicated exercise today, but a lot of very physical work and then housework.
    water conservation efforts are going well, and it didn’t rain this evening despite all the build up.

herisff

November 2012 Goals

Goals update:

2) Most of the sealant from removing the sliding shower doors is gone, as is most of the accumulated crud. Looks much better, but still needs a thorough scrubbing this coming weekend when I will hopefully have more time.

3) Exercise/TV room: done and organized.

Joless

November 2012 Goals

October wasn’t the most successful month so I will try some different goals for November.

1) Eat breakfast before walking the dog rather than ending up sitting and wasting time once I get home.
    2) Do the Eight Step Home Cure and fix some of the little things which need doing around here
    3) Instigate a habit of eating at the table rather than on our laps on the sofa
    4) Provide water at dinner time so we drink less wine out of convenience
    5) Get into a habit of practicing the saxophone for just 15 mins a day.

Eta: thanks for the reminder @Lottie
    6) Buy and plant a lot of daffodil bulbs in memory of my Mother. She loved them and I always bought them for her birthday in March.

lottielot

November 2012 Goals

Thank you, djk, I’m good at motivating others, just not myself πŸ™‚
    I had a nice email from my old supervisor suggesting a few ideas along the lines of combining his research and what I told him my interests are. I don’t think it’s what I’m looking for, but it’s nice he thinks well enough of me to suggest it πŸ™‚ Then I went and checked my final mark at uni and I did not get what I was hoping for so I’m very cross and disappointed (in myself, really) as I know I could have done better. So that has not exactly filled me with enthusiasm about further study πŸ™
    Anyway, I started writing a NaNoWriMo book πŸ™‚ I’m good at distracting myself!
    I also looked for shoe cupboards on the way home and found 2 possibles, I’ll ask dh about them. One is very expensive but huge and would solve all storage issues, the other is a bit too small really. Maybe I should work out what we actually need.
    I am hatching race plans with a good friend so progress there!
    Curtains I found some which look ok so just need to check measurements.
    Kids rooms: I was actually thinking about paying my neighbour to come and help. I just will not do it otherwise, the rooms just make me want to scream and run away!
    Babysitter: I had an idea about one girl who seems very nice and I know her mum, next time I see either of them I will get a phone number. If not, actually I wonder if a friend’s son is old enough, my boys love another friend’s son but he lives too far away, I want someone local.
    Sigh, as usual it’s all ideas and very little action. Who has stolen my vavava voom and when can I get it back?

November 2012 Goals

Lottielot — it’s good to have you back. Seems like you are making some progress — just at the planning phase now. That’s OK! You can’t go at full tilt all the time.

Almost a week gone, but I’d better review now while there is still some week left.
    (1) Self-care: doing better, but not quite there yet. Didn’t weigh in on Monday (forgot, and ate breakfast before remembering) so will do that next week. Have avoided unplanned snacks, which is good and made it to Pilates Monday. Found the almond oil Ella recommended at Whole Foods — it is very nice!
    (2) Home cure is just what I needed to energize me. Today is the last day of week 1. Doing the floors led me to discover that my vacuum is not cr^p — it was broken, and is now fixed. Worth it for that alone.
    (3) No real progress on the garage, but did haul out the vintage singer sewing machine base from under the workbench to give it a once over. Think I will leave it as is — just cleaned up a bit — rather than paint it. Will re-measure and order glass this week.
    (4) Need to call the handy couple — today. I do hate making phone calls. DH took Thursday afternoon off work to mow his mother’s lawn. I’ll go with him and clear out the little but of stuff the estate liquidators left behind.
    (5) All the other good habits are stellar. Remembered that a good friend from Chicago might be staying a few days over Thanksgiving, so another motivation to get the house ship-shape. Must contact her and see.

irishbell

November 2012 Goals

Susan- how did the sale go? (Or did I miss a post regarding that?)
    I’ll bet you are so happy to be finished with that!

November 2012 Goals

The estate liquidator is combining the MIL’s stuff with someone else’s in a more upscale neighborhood. We got some money already for stuff she sold directly to dealers (good for us — they take a smaller cut off that) and we hope the sale will happen soon and we will get another decent check! Doing this with a liquidator has been the BEST decision we made this year.

pkilmain

November 2012 Goals

I am guilty of making goals and then not following through, so I think I’m keeping them very simple and achievable this mont, following Ella’s example of tiny, tiny steps.

1. 15 minutes of housework a day, except Sunday. This is anything over and above the usual dishes, kitchen cleanup and bed making. Sort of like djk’s “see it, clean it.”

2. 15 minutes of some sort of exercise at least 4 days a week. Anything, just move.

3. 15 minutes of some sort of household paperwork at least 3 times a week.

I’m also working on losing weight, but that’s an on-going process and the minute I put a structure on it, I seem to rebel and not do any of it. Right now I’m taking it meal-by-meal, choice-by-choice.

Ella

November 2012 Goals

pkilmain: I think we are alike in that respect… whenever I try to structure a weight-loss plan, I end up rebelling and self-sabotaging.

herisff

November 2012 Goals

Update:

1) Work has calmed down some but we are all still getting called out a lot in the middle of the night. Surviving so far but I am on call this weekend so we shall see. I’m tired, but at least I’m not as exhausted as I was last week.

2) Shower door sealant: done.

3) Exercise/TV room: done.

4) Flying to family: should be OK as I’m not as exhausted as previously. Am starting to throw stuff towards the suitcase, will try to preliminarily pack this weekend. I’m not leaving until Wednesday, but also need to spiff the house up for the dogsitter who will be staying here. Starting to look forward to see family that I haven’t seen in a few years!

Ella

November 2012 Goals

Here’s my mid-month report…
    Health wise, I’m doing fairly well. My goal is to lose 4-5 more pounds this month, on top of what I lost in October. So far, I’m down only one more pound and holding steady there for the past 2 weeks (aka plateau πŸ™ ). But the real success is that I’ve been holding steady to my commitment of zero sweets. I’ve eaten no sweets at all, nor any snacks. Only healthy meals, and no binge cravings. I’m impressed with myself!

My sleep is markedly improved since I started the audiobook experiment. I absolutely love the sound of being read to. It effectively interrupts the stream of mental chatter, and I lie there very relaxed, sleepily listening to the bedtime story until I doze off, instead of tossing to and fro with churning thoughts. Also, I’ve increased my sleeping hours to 8, instead of my former 7-7.5 hours. I’m doing much better with a full 8 at night, and no need for afternoon naps.

Blood sugar numbers have dropped a good bit, yay! They’re still on the high side, but I have faith that continued weight loss, good eating, and good sleeping will bring them down further.

More health care…
    Flu shot – check
    Mammogram – check
    And I’ve added a daily walk after breakfast. It doesn’t have to be an hour long, which was my ideal, but 30 minutes is fine or even just 15. My new exercise ideal is consistency… that is, regularity is more important than duration.

I fell off the wagon of daily 15-minuting for paper piles and zone cleaning. It shows. πŸ™
    I am hereby recommitting as of today, though I don’t want to post about it daily. However, if I’m not back on the wagon again steadily by the end of this month, I’ll start a new 15-minute thread.

bandicoot

November 2012 Goals

i am crushed.
    i have expended vast amounts of energy on a project that has fizzled out.
    i was planning to open a small shop in the next village.
    i was having a blast and putting in crazy hours designing packaging and my shop fit out.
    i had chosen a name and was poised to register it everywhere.
    i had tradesmen giving me quotes to hook up my phone and paint the place and do some glazier work.
    a friend down south was standing by to purchase my shop fittings.

and i got turned down.
    because one of the other tenants makes the same product.
    i have been doing this professionally for eleven years.
    i am registered and accredited and notarized and triple stamped in every possible way with every possible concerned party.
    i export. i wholesale around the country. my product is known globally, in it’s small and humble way. i innovate. people in the industry know me.
    and i have been scuppered by someone making six units (where i make 1000) as a sideline hobby that she just happens to flog in her completely-unrelated shop.
    her product is not labelled in any way that meets the minimum legal requirement in this country. it isn’t registered with any of the required govt bodies. it is in fact, completely illegal from start to finish.
    i am reeling at the unfairness. what happened to commercial enterprise? fair competition? playing by the rules?
    i suspect a little something something behind the scenes is going on.

but on the other hand, i know that life ISN’T fair, and who are you gonna complain to?

so
    i am having a day off everything, apart from some playtime in my workshop with some new ideas.
    the entire exercise has given me a tremendous creative boost at least.
    and i’ll be scouting for another venue in the village.
    they can’t keep me out.

Barbs

November 2012 Goals

bandicoot: you go! Illegitimi non carborundum!

bandicoot

November 2012 Goals

lol barbs, and thanks!

Sky

November 2012 Goals

Sorry, bandicoot. Maybe there is something better just around the corner πŸ™‚

pkilmain

November 2012 Goals

How utterly annoying! I hope you find an even better location. πŸ™‚

luxcat

November 2012 Goals

@Ella your mid month report sounds so amazing. Pat yourself on the back for goals well done!

@Bandicoot– a pox upon the tenant’s illegal and probably poorly made products! well, not an *actual* pox, but you get my drift. Success is the best revenge, I suspect you’ll find a great location and maybe even more suitable… and sell her out of town.

lottielot

November 2012 Goals

Oh bandicoot: how frustrating! On the plus side, some of that hard work will translate easily to another site, so it’s not all completely wasted. Knowing you, something even bigger and better awaits!
    Ok, my progress: applications not yet, PhD not yet
    Babysitter: found someone very nice and she seems reliable.
    Races: booked a few, funny how it’s easy to get motivated to do this!
    Curtains: dh had the day off and he didn’t like the ones I found online so he went out and bought some himself πŸ™‚
    Shoe cupboard: still procrastinating. Need to look elsewhere, maybe tomorrow, or see if dh likes the sort of stuff I can have made
    However, I have been more productive generally lately. I planted most of the bulbs, chose new glasses for myself and ds2 (my old glasses are really scratched), I bought new school shoes and underwear for the kids, bought myself a few much-needed items of clothing (like a belt, I lost weight), and have organised quite a few bits and bobs. Not all bad. I dropped my phone and broke the screen, it’s usable but I’m minimising using it for surfing and texting, it’s obvious how much time I waste on these! I took it to the Apple store and it’s expensive to fix, dh is going to upgrade my phone for me I think (it’s in his name).

Irulan

November 2012 Goals

Halfway through: volunteer stuff is going great, item pickup is this week. Work and personal stuff, not so much.

November 2012 Goals

Bandicoot: somehow I suspect you won’t let this stop you.

I haven’t been very focused for the past few weeks. And the month is more than half gone.

I really do need to call the handy couple this week. Don’t know why I’m putting it off other than my loathing of the phone. I suspect that this is a busy season for them — a lot of people like to have work done in preparation for the holidays — but I need to get on the list. The MIL’s deck replacement is a big issue, as we can’t sell the house until that is done.

Not doing well with the self-care stuff, either. Need to get back on the weight watcher’s track, and back to regular pilates.

Otherwise, all is well — focus, focus, focus.

ninakk

November 2012 Goals

bandicoot, sorry about the setback! But I’m with everyone else, be the force of nature you are destined to be and already are. You will make it, you have an excellent attitude and while this must feel like crap for a while, I’m quite convinced it happened for a reason. Maybe that house will burn down in a month or something? Or maybe there is a person you are meant to meet, who will change your life in some significant way, but only if you find another location.

lottielot

November 2012 Goals

How’s the shop hunting going, bandicoot?
    I seem to have been bogged down in endless domestic rubbish πŸ™
    Applications not yet
    PhD not yet
    I did completely unclutter the dining room in preparation for Operation Shoe Cupboard. I moved the bookshelf to the smaller alcove, threw out the chair which used to go there (was a crap MAGNET!), threw out a good half of the books on the bookcase, vacuumed up a whole inch of dust from every surface, culled some of the family photos from the mantelpiece and threw out lots of junk and generally cleared the floor. It looks much better already, even with no shoe cupboard πŸ™‚ I can host guests at Christmas without too much work now!

November 2012 Goals

Update:
    November Goals:
    1. eat real food every day and attend yoga class twice a week – Yoga happened. Real food didn’t.
    2. finish bedroom closet and broom closet decorating, plan bathroom makeover – DONE!
    3. get midwinter gifts and cards made/bought and sent to England – 50% DONE.
    4. sort the office… sigh… again… ugh- DONE.
    5. stock freezer for Thanksgiving – DONE AND EATEN!
    6. decide with kids and exhusband which bits of furniture etc they want to keep when I move – DONE.
    7. finish administrative loose ends on daughter’s disability services and guardianship – DONE but now there’s more to do πŸ™

Hope everyone else is on target.

November 2012 Goals

Less than a week left to this month!
    (1) I got the sewing machine base refinished (steel wool & 3-in-1 oil did the trick); the glass top arrived and it sits proudly in our sunroom. The treadmill is now in the garage, and the small drop-leaf table is open and in its place. The room looks wonderful. Still mulling over the advisability of curtains for the outside sliding door, in case we decide to have the room double as a bedroom for the occasional guest. I think I can rig up something nice yet temporary, so we don’t have to have them up all the time. Hmmm . . . .
    (2) Still haven’t called the handyman. I am such a slacker.
    (3) The home cure is great!
    (4) Self care stinks — ate too much, exercised too little. Next Monday, for sure — buckle down!

So, in the remaining 5 days in the month, I need to call the handyman. If I get that done, I will consider the month a success.

djk

November 2012 Goals

Susan, is there enough room inside the sliding door frame to put a tension rod with a curtain/any piece of opaque fabric? if so, that could be popped up easily when guests come, and it can be quickly dismantled, fabric folded away, and rod tucked away in a closet corner until the next guest, or even during the day if access is needed.

November 2012 Goals

djk — there is room for a tension rod between the wooden slat blinds that flank the windows on either side of the door. That’s a good idea. I wouldn’t even object to some discreet permanent hooks. I’m just thinking I don’t want to have curtains there all the time just for the few days a year we need them.

sleepykitten

November 2012 Goals

@bandicoot and @Anita – both those stories are crazy! Seems to me like the soaps could complement each other (people would say “hey – no matter what you are into, soap-wise, you can get it on such-and-such a street”) and there are whole studios ONLY devoted to yoga and stretching so I can’t see how it would be a problem to have two classes. Ack!

sleepykitten

November 2012 Goals

Ahhh…November goals. The only one I can say I truly rocked was the “healthy thing each day” goal – I am back in the habit of cooking from scratch (for dinners at least) and I have done quite a bit of yoga (I am trying to make it into a daily habit). The rest I’ve chipped away at a bit, but I can’t really say I achieved them. But health is the most important thing, right?

Lounger

November 2012 Goals

@bandicoot – Could you stock the competitor’s soap in your shop? Perhaps commission-free if it help ease to get the place you want? Other than that it sounds like you’re all ready to go as soon as another, hopefully even better, property comes up.

Oops – I’m totally off-topic. What am I doing on this thread when I’m meant to be doing Fifty by Friday?!

Ella

November 2012 Goals

Checking in one day early to post my end-of-month report, as I don’t expect any miraculous change in the next day.

My biggest goal was to focus on my health:
    – As hoped for, I’ve dropped 4 more pounds this month (on top of October’s 6) by sticking to my embargo on sweets and snacks. I’ve also added a walk most days, and I tell ya, it feels SO much better to move without lugging that extra 10 pounds around. Amazing how much just 10 pounds makes a difference. My feet and knees will thank me as I continue to lose.
    – My blood sugar numbers have dropped by an average of 35 points
    – I got a flu shot and a mammogram
    – I have an appointment next week for straightening out some details with my Medicare and MediCal
    – My sleep has seen a dramatic improvement after having tried and failed at so many insomnia remedies this past year. The simple solution is to be read to sleep by an audiobook. I absolutely love it, and it works beautifully! Moreover, I’m convinced that the good sleep I’m getting now is a major factor contributing to my weight loss and lower blood sugar and improved sense of well-being.

So altogether, November was a huge success for me health wise, and I’m very pleased.

On other fronts, I let things slide with housekeeping, decluttering, and paperwork, and I also took a monthlong break from studying Italian. But that’s OK, not a disaster. My health care was my number one priority and took up the lion’s share of my attention. Starting December 1st, I’ll get back on the Clean & Tidy Wagon. πŸ™‚

Irulan

November 2012 Goals

Nice work on the health stuff, Ella!

End-of-month check in: Volunteer work went great, stuff pickup went easily, budget writing will get set up tomorrow or Sunday once I’ve finished filing my papers.

The only thing I didn’t do was take enough work assignments to earn a bonus, but I’m not concerned about that because I’m trying to transition into the sector where I volunteer.

Ella

November 2012 Goals

Moving on to December…

https://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/goals-december-2012

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.