Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets New Year's Closet Sweep

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  pkilmain 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Irulan

Spring cleaning isn’t here yet, but New Year’s resolutions are, especially resolutions to get organized. Since we have some newer people on the forum, I thought it might be time to set up a new clothes thread for the new year.

I go through my clothes about once per quarter, which is the same frequency as I tend to buy clothes (by design) except for the occasional urgent item.

I live in an area that has four seasons, but I don’t store away summer/winter clothes in the off seasons. I keep one 35 gallon tote of clothes in different sizes or that hold sentimental value. Sometimes the tub overflows when I use it as a stopover for items that I can’t bear to part with on this pass.

What are your favorite closet management tips, unclutterers? Do you turn your hangers backwards? Do you use labels on the rung? How much do you consider “enough” or “too much?”

Jude2004

New Year's Closet Sweep

Awhile back, Erin reported about a woman who had a system for folding all her clothes and stick them on bookshelves. I didn’t buy the fancy folders she sells, but I have plenty of file folders left over, so I folded all my clothes. This helped me evaluate what I own to a great degree. Winter clothes are in boxes, readily available and visible, in the top of my closet. My closet has some bandanas, my camera, my car keys, and a winter coat/other jacket. But mostly, my closet has become my office, with a bulletin board, a table, and my monitor in it. I do have a few sentimental items of clothing, but by far, the best thing I ever did was ditch the hangers and fold the clothes.

TatiLie

New Year's Closet Sweep

I think I don’t have enough clothes to need a system. I use a uniform to work and I keep a bunch of clothes that see the sunlight less than once a year because of holidays/conferences. I’m fine with that. The only thing I will change for the New Year is that I will be less frump (learn this word here and I look myself in the mirror and my brains repeats ‘frump, frump, frum, frump…”.) So, 2012 I did a ‘Running shoes are for sports’ pledge. And in 2013 I will continue my efforts to be less frump. I just don’t know yet what I will cut off my wardrobe.

JuneBug

New Year's Closet Sweep

I need to completely overhaul my wardrobe this year. I used to make 4-5 dresses twice a year and wear them till they fell apart; then I’d make a few more. Due to life’s many interruptions, and some weight fluctuations, I haven’t added much to my closet over the last few years. My employment/activities will be changing this year and I will have some different clothing needs. I also have some items that do not fit, and honestly, I don’t believe I would wear them again/often if they did. Some of them are sewing wadders that fit just enough to not be terrible, but not well enough to be comfortable. This year my goal is to reach/stabilize my goal size and get the fit perfect on several basic patterns that I can use as a wardrobe base. I am currently participating in a contest that has two small wardrobe capsules linked by a single item. I’m not a clothes horse, but the idea of having several smaller wardrobe groupings that work well together makes a lot of sense and will give me a lot of variety. My planned entry will have 11 items (6 tops, three bottoms and a skirt suit) that together will create 21 different outfits that range from causal to business/Sunday.

Sky

New Year's Closet Sweep

My clothes are organized in my closet and dresser drawers but I have a group of what I call ‘too tights’. Just tight enough to be uncomfortable so I don’t wear them. My goal is to lose the 10-20 lbs and then decide what I don’t want anymore.

I hang dresses, skirts, pants, blouses and jackets. T-shirts, sweaters and other tops are in dresser drawers as well as underwear, socks and pj’s.

I’m starting the 333 project and the January cure and the eight step home cure so I should be good to go in a few months!

chacha1

New Year's Closet Sweep

I organized my closet pretty thoroughly this year and don’t really anticipate doing much in there in 2013 … at least with regard to clothes. ๐Ÿ™‚

What I do intend to do is address the 15 years of scrapbooks that live on the shelf in there (converting them to e-form using my new scanner) so that we can use the shelf for other things. I have a June 1 goal for that, but it’s not exactly an essential task.

Irulan

New Year's Closet Sweep

Tati, your “frump” mantra keeps cracking me up. I work from home, so I know what you mean about needing to make an effort to dress better or more appropriately. Sometimes I want to go out and realize I’ve been wearing yoga pants all day (ahem, today).

How do you wrangle the socks and such at the top of your closet, ataylor? Do you put them in bins or dividers?

Also, for those of you who mention multiple sizes, how do you deal with that? I’m hanging on to a few beloved items from a chubby period with the thought that I’d wear them in the next couple of years during pregnancy. I don’t know how realistic that is.

sleepykitten

New Year's Closet Sweep

@Irulan – I don’t know what to tell you re: saving “chubby” clothes for pregnancy – it might make sense since pregnancy is temporary and you might not want to spend the money on a whole new wardrobe. I am going the other way – from a chubby time back to a previous weight. I only have a couple items I kept from my thinner weight – 90% of the stuff I donated, with the idea I would want new clothes when I reached that weight again. I kept about 5 items that were particularly lovely (they are boxed up), but I will re-evaluate them sternly when I reach my goal weight and try them on.

Irulan

New Year's Closet Sweep

Thanks for the tips, mamaturtle. We aren’t sure how many kids we’d want, so I guess that’s a factor.

@sleepykitten, when I went through that heavier period, I kept most of my clothes, then donated most of them once I returned to my regular weight because they didn’t seem age/life stage appropriate any longer. The items I kept from that heavy period were jeans and stretchy sweaters- things that won’t look too bad even if they’re kind of out of style. Good luck on your decluttering weight journey!

bandicoot

New Year's Closet Sweep

i have to face it.
    i have too many clothes, despite a sixteen month period of buying almost nothing.
    for eighteen months prior to that, though, i went crazy buying one label that i thought was the answer to everything.
    while i still love the layerability and wearability and mix and matchability of the range….i am increasingly sour about the synthetic fabrics that are designed for a single season of wear.
    every item is looking a bit shabby, and none of it was cheap.
    i am wearing it all to death, though, and making other plans.

travelling for five weeks with essentially just one very flexible outfit made me realise how little clothing i really need.
    a self-designed uniform of a handful of blak separates will suit my lifestyle perfectly.

pkilmain

New Year's Closet Sweep

I “suffer” from having a very large closet; it means that I can have excess clothing without it being overfull. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I do need to weed stuff out.

I hang dresses (3), pants (but not jeans), jackets, nicer blouses/sweaters, and shoes (in a pocket type hanger). In the dresser I have long and short-sleeved t-shirts (2 drawers), bras/panties/socks (3 small center drawers); hose/slips/camisoles (2 drawer); workout clothing (1 drawer), PJs and long underwear (1 drawer), and catchall (1 drawer). On the shelves at one end of the closet I have (folder, or rolled in baskets) sweatshirts/fleece pullovers; jeans; summer pants/shorts; 2 pair of cowboy boots; and “just a little tight” pants (I keep evaluating these ๐Ÿ™‚ ) And on the shelf above I have out-of-season and speciality shoes (in see-through boxes); travel bags/extra purses; and a tub of don’t fit clothes. My coats and winter boots are in the coat closet near the front door.

I have way more clothes than I need, and I’ve been trying to weed out. I feel like TatiLie that I am too frumpy. When I was on my trip in October I really felt that way, and after that bought a few new tops and did get rid of a few of the more stretched out/stained/ill-fitting ones I had been wearing. I still need to find some nicer casual pants, or lose enough weight that ones I have put away will fit again. I have two bags of donations from my earlier in the month weeding, ,and will drop those off on Wednesday. I think I will put a reminder on my calendar to go through stuff once a month and when I buy anything new.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.