Home Forums Challenges New Mom…any organizing advice?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  N_Mom 9 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

N_Mom

Hi – I’m a new mom and in search of any organizing advice that will help me to keep on top of juggling needs for taking care of my baby, home and work. Thanks!

Claycat

New Mom…any organizing advice?

Congratulations! My son just turned 40, so I won’t be much help in this area.

I just remember it was important to keep up with the diaper bag, making sure that all the contents were ready to go ahead of time.

Sky

I have 4 sons, all grown. My best advice is to keep up rather than have to catch up. Take a few minutes at the end of the day to pick up, clean the kitchen, even run a load of laundry. It starts the day off easier.

akcorcoran

Hi N_Mom,

Oh, do I! I have two daughters that were 19 mos apart. Fortunately, when I was nesting with the first, I set up all these organization systems and they lasted through both.

The key, for me, was that the baby’s things were absolutely logical and detailed in terms of usage. I used to say (well, still do) that the baby stuff was the most organized, least cluttered things in the house, believe it or not! And, that kept my life in order b/c the baby management was never out of control, especially if I had someone over to help me (a sitter, family member or nanny). That meant changing areas, bedrooms, playroom, and all the kitchen aspects of a baby. I even wrote a whole post on our bottle management system on the Baby Bargains message boards. You just can’t manage the rest of home and work if you are grasping at organizing and managing the baby, especially if sleep deprived!

There are so many aspects to this – do you have certain things you want to think about? I can make specific recommendations based on what you’re grappling with then…?

N_Mom

Akcorcoan – you’re the author of the bottle feeding system in Baby Bargains? that’s incredible – I found your posting a few months ago and found it extremely useful!!! Great advice on making sure that the baby mgmt is under control as a priority. I’d love your thoughts on changing areas, getting out of the house in a timely manner and any suggestions you have on keeping up with clothes that babies seem to outgrow so quickly! My newborn is only 7 weeks so I’m sure there are still challenges that I haven’t thought of yet!

Thanks in advance for your advice – I’m looking forward to your suggestions…!

akcorcoran

Hi again!

You really did know that post? It’s like the post heard round the world – I still get email from people asking about it and it’s been 7 years! Just goes to show you, I guess, that good organizational systems never “expire”. For those interested, the very *long* post and thread is here: http://bit.ly/babybottles

I should have written a book about this topic, sometimes I think – it was so emotional for me to not be able to nurse that we really created this alternate way to control the situation but I think it works for bottles after you stop nursing too, especially because you are not as “pro” at the bottles since you and the baby are transitioning after already having a routine.

Ok, now that you let me know some of what you’re looking for, I will gather my thoughts and maybe even some pictures and post again. It’s funny bit the two you mention – changing tables and getting in / out of the house were our specialty outside of bottles so I have some thoughts I’ll share!

As for clothes, I actually did do a fairly big post on this recently in another thread on here. http://bit.ly/c8Zkt7

I’m not sure it helped her but the key is really not not overthink it. Get big bins, get rid of anything stained or in bad repair – your next baby won’t wear it and you can’t consign it, plus it gets worse with time. Then put all things in the same size range in together like I say in the post. Don’t separate items out (e.g. clothes, shoes, etc.). All the same size grouping in the same bin. Label the age range on ALL sides of the outside on the bin, even if it’s clear.

And, then I’m not sure if I’m still totally clear on this on the other post – you want the youngest clothes on TOP instead of getting all the future bins of clothes piled on top of them. This requires either periodical rearranging or shelves that let you do that easily. We own a food biz so we have accessto these (plain ugly) NSF approved metal shelving. We used that in the basement and it dies make it easy bc we put youngest clothes on top shelves and worked our way down. The order is so key when you go to retrieve them again in the future – for your own child or of you are lending, consigning, eBaying, etc.

Ok, I have some other tips for clothes you use now too but I will gather thoughts and organize.

And [email protected] said is incredibly true – just don’t overdo it or try to do it all. Add 20 min of time onto *everything* you do – sometimes it would take me sn hour to get to the play area in the mall when it’s 10 min away, but the prep and packing and transporting in and out and phew! You don’t know how many times we arrived at places, like the zoo, only to realize they were closing soon! Later on, with my second daughter and two under two, we realized we could just stick a diaper and travel pkg of wipes in our back pocket and throw a bottle with powder in our purse and go. That was all you really need and we realized not only are convenience stores everywhere (and vending for water to mix in a bottle) but also the sisterhood of mothers are there to help should you *really* need something. 🙂

But take every successful outing or organized day or smooth transition at home as a victory. It does matter (post it on Facebook if you are on there). Small wins are incredibly important.

Allright, will post more later!

MellieTX

Not sure where you live, but if cars are a major mode of transportation I have ideas. Keep your vehicle stocked with diapers and a full package of wipes, plus a plastic grocery bag for disposal. I also have a small foldable changing pad, but a blanket works well too. We also keep a couple of pieces of cardboard to serve as impromptu pooper scoopers for the dog. Update your emergency supply when your baby grows into a larger size. That way if you forget the diaper bag or you are stranded you’re ok.

Also, clean out the car EVERY day. It was never realistic to do this when unloading an infant and toddler, but go back and do it when you get a minute. Sippy cups roll under seats- check or you’ll be sorry, lol. Spoiled milk in a car in a warm climate has a way of announcing itself- we only did that once!

N_Mom

Everyone — thank you so very much for all this golden advice!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.