Home Forums Unclutter Your Life in One Week Your story Moving – Stuff Failure

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  jsights 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

jsights

I hired movers for my move this past Friday. I had been proud of my decluttering attempts, and thought I had come a long way. I had, but not nearly as long as I thought. When we finished packing Thursday night, I looked around the old apartment at all the boxes, and said, “we still have way too much stuff.” Then when the movers did their thing Friday, he told me that usually he had no problem moving a 2 bedroom apartment in his cargo van and 14 foot enclosed trailer. He couldn’t fit all our stuff. πŸ™ I told my boyfriend as we unpack, we MUST get rid of more stuff. For one thing, the new place is 60 square feet smaller and has much less storage space.

The xmas tree and decorations will probably go to charity since we won’t have room to set up a tree anymore. That’s 3 bins of stuff. I’ve already given a dozen books to my dad. A bin full of stuffd animals is going up into the closet, unopened, for a few months, and if I decide I don’t miss any of them, it’s going to charity. I’ll have to declutter my office supplies and kitchen stuff. I have 2 large boxes full of cake baking/decorating supplies, that I need to decide if I’m going to pusue that hobby or not.

This has helped me decide if I want to pick up my Stampin’ Up hobby again or not – NOT! That takes up way too much space. I haven’t done it in 2.5 years, so it’s all going to be sold.

And the kitchen has far too little cabinet space, so depending on how much kitchen stuff I can get rid of (I suspect not enough), I’ll have to get a baker’s rack to store stuff.

*sigh* well, at least now I truly know where I stand on the “Stuff” Front. It’s a little disheartening, but knowing is half the battle, right?

irishbell

Moving – Stuff Failure

jsights- instead of being bummed by thinking you didn’t declutter enough, be proud of yourself for getting rid of as much stuff as you did! You didn’t accumulate it overnight, and you can’t get rid of it overnight. You’ve got a new place now and it may take awhile to get your bearings and decide what you really do “need” to keep! Good job and good luck.

JuliaJayne

Moving – Stuff Failure

I don’t see that as failure. I used to love moving because I’d end up getting rid of stuff before and after the move. Before you move there is so much to think about. After the move you have to find places for your stuff, so you have a tendency to see things in a different light.

HelofaMess

Moving – Stuff Failure

I had a similar problem too. Our old flat was such a tip that we simply had no idea how much junk we had. I got rid of quite a bit but no where near everything that needed to go. When we moved into the new place my husband made me get the movers to unpack EVERYTHING so that the new house looked even worse. This meant that instead of unpacking boxes I’m left with 2 rooms that has piles and piles of stuff. We’ve been in the new house for 2 and a half months and I’m really upset with myself that I haven’t just gone right ahead and dealt with it. *sigh*

The short story is take it step by step, start in one room and get going.

jsights

Moving – Stuff Failure

Thanks for the encouraging words all! I did get rid of a lot (and made almost $300 at a garage sale from it!) A friend is having a charity garage sale in a few weeks, and I already have 1 2footX1foot box full and another started of stuff to give her, and have given some things to my parents (old yearbooks – here you go mom! I never look at them.)

I had to have the “Justin Case” talk with my dear boyfriend last night. I’ve already forgotten what it was over, but something I asked him if he needed it, and he said, “Not really, but we might use it someday.” To which I told him, you have to get over that mentality. We don’t have room for stuff we MIGHT use.

Jen

bandicoot

Moving – Stuff Failure

i think you are doing fabulously, because your mind is already where it needs to be.
    you already know that more stuff has to go….you are already making lists and rationalising ….now it’s simply a matter of follow through.

moving is daunting and tiring, no matter what.
    so cut yourself a little break for a couple of days and then get back to it feeling refreshed.
    good luck!

Amy

Moving – Stuff Failure

I hope I never have to move again. It is just too much hassle the older I get.

bandicoot

Moving – Stuff Failure

i’m with you amy.
    the last three moves have been torture.
    but now i figure i am in as good a spot as can be expected, it’s paid for….i’ll stay until i am carried out in a box!

jsights

Moving – Stuff Failure

I hate moving too. This is my 8th move in 9 years. I’m 31, but the past week have found myself saying, “I’m too old for this.” Unfortunately, I’m still fairly unsettled in my life, know that eventually (hopefully in the next 2 years) I’m going to move cross country, and who knows what that will bring. I can almost guarantee I won’t settle in the first place I find in whatever city I end up. I’ll just have to be sure to get rid of even more stuff before that happens.

chacha1

Moving – Stuff Failure

DH and I haven’t moved in six years and I’m afraid we need to move again just so I can get him to divorce Justin Case!!

jsights, it sounds like you have made significant progress both on the physical clutter and your mental adjustment. Did you end up getting a baker’s rack? I got one for our galley kitchen and it made a world of difference – the microwave and toaster oven live on that, meaning my (three feet of) counter space is clear.

Ours sits in front of a window, but because it has an open back doesn’t cut the light. And is an excellent security device so I can leave the window cracked open. πŸ™‚

jsights

Moving – Stuff Failure

chacha1, I did sort of get a baker’s rack. I had one of those shelving units that goes over the toilet in the bathroom. The new place has a towel rack that is not removable (unless I tear it out of the drywall, which I’m sure the landlord wouldn’t apreciate!), so the shelf doesn’t fit (it sticks out too far.) So, I moved it to the kitchen for a makeshift baker’s rack. That way I don’t have to spend more money, or acquire another item. It doesn’t hold as much as a real baker’s rack would, but it works just fine.

Jen

bandicoot

Moving – Stuff Failure

8 moves in 9 years…o i feel for you.
    it’s hard work.
    but of course, there is adventure to it too.

i’ve just spent seven nights in seven different hotel rooms in seven different locations with either a long drive or a train ride or a flight between each, and i am a wreck.
    when i was younger, i thought i was really a gypsy, but i see that isn’t true for me now.
    the whole business of unpacking and repacking….even when carrying a minimum of stuff….it is tiring.

i hope you can take some time for yourself.

Amy

Moving – Stuff Failure

jsights, you can probably remove the towel rack with out damaging the drywall…It probably has a tiny little screw on each of the end pieces that is holding it onto an inside bracket mounted to the wall. It’s most likely on the underside of the end piece.

Bandicoot, I wish I was with you! I love to travel, are you someplace exotic?

bandicoot

Moving – Stuff Failure

i am in korea teaching soapmaking workshops and being looked after insanely well by my hosts here…..it seems very exotic to me!
    i’ve managed to do a lot of stuff for my own business as well as the workshops….i’ve travelled up and down and seen the sights….the food is fabulous…i’ve been put up in beautiful hotels… and met a lot of very charming koreans…it really is an incredible trip.

i have paused for breath here in daegu (i think it’s my favourite) for two nights and i have two nights in seoul before i fly out.
    long enough to do some laundry, get some spa action going on, and buy some whiskey for the long-suffering husband at home.

babsro

Moving – Stuff Failure

I am packing for a move next week and thought I had done a good job of decluttering beforehand, but I can’t believe the number of boxes I am filling! I guess, as above, I’ll be doing more decluttering on the other end.

JuliaJayne

Moving – Stuff Failure

Good luck on the move. I’m almost envious πŸ™‚

Gypsie

Moving – Stuff Failure

I also love moving. DH and I try to declutter before and after each move! We are headed across the country in July and while we don’t have to do any of the packing or unpacking, we do have a weight limit and have to put it all away once we have a place to live.

jsights

Moving – Stuff Failure

I got rid of 2 more boxes of stuff and a couple larger items over the weekend. Helps that a friend is having a charity garage sale in 2 weeks and looking for donations, so that gives me even more incentive to unclutter some more, because she needs the stuff now, not 6 months from now. Little by little…I think the next time I move I am getting rid of absolutely everything except my laptop and dogs…and the boyfriend. πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.