Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets Missing socks

This topic contains 21 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  bandicoot 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Sophie

Ever wonder where all the missing socks go?. I do. I’m sure they end up in the washing machine or somewhere but who knows.

Anyway last year our socks were disappearing at an unbelievably fast rate, so we I just knew something was up. It got to a point we were losing so many socks that I bought some new ones. Well first day I got home with my new socks, one “disappeared”. Now there were only two of us living in the house, and I knew I’d left them on the floor of our bedroom, bad, but still there was no logical explanation of where they could be. So I said to my partner “I think the cat is stealing our socks”. He didn’t really believe me, but then a couple of days later I came home to find my tracksuit pants half hanging out the cat door!!! Well for me that proved it, but we didn’t know if it was our cat (unlikely) or a neighbours cat. Well, we decided to set up a video camera while at work one day. This was so funny because within one hour of leaving the house we captured the nieghbour’s cat entering the house, going into our bedroom, picking up the sock we’d left out, and carrying it straight back out. This cat and another were also coming into the house and eating our cat’s food, which explained the missing socks but also our nervous cat!:(

We now have an electronic cat door, so neighbour’s cats can’t come inside, the cat is happier, but still socks continue to disappear. Where do they go?

JuliaJayne

Missing socks

Your story made me laugh. Sock stealing cats. lol

terriok

Missing socks

Wonderful story! The butler did not do it- the kitty cat did!!!

gS49

Missing socks

Small items can be thrown over the rim of the washing machine tub (where the clothes go) into the space between the tub and the housing. Look in there and you may fine all sorts of things.

gS

bobbinalong

Missing socks

The rollers for the tub on our dryer were worn out and made the tub sit low. Therefore, every time my husband would do a load of clothes, he’d lose a dress sock. Every single time. When we finally figured it out, we dug at least 7 socks out of the dryer (can you say fire hazard?).

bandicoot

Missing socks

the sock-stealing cat! that is hysterical!

we have woken up in the wee hours a couple of times lately with a strange cat (ie not one of our six) lolling about our kitchen in a very relaxed and happy manner. (we wake up because one of our cats is usually singing and dancing with annoyance over the brash and bold burglarious intruder).
    so we are not so blithely confident any more about who is coming and going in our absence!
    socks haven’t been stolen, but food is definitely being snorkelled up.

NeatFreak

Missing socks

As a fellow cat owner, I was ROFL!! Who knew?!

liag

Missing socks

Hysterical. Hey–does your washing machine eat socks, too?

pkilmain

Missing socks

DH has single socks more than I do, and his are because he gets a hole in one and throws it away, but keeps the other. He could care less if his socks he wears inside his cowboy boots match. He does wearing matching ones the rest of the time.

What more often happens is that DH is being helpful and folding laundry (good) but doesn’t recognize the difference between his black socks and my black socks, or between several pairs of mine that, yes, are all black, but different textures, weights, etc. The worst is when he pairs one of mine with one of his. And we have vastly different sized feet! I try to get the socks matched up before the laundry comes upstairs.

lottielot

Missing socks

I only match adult socks, the kids get single socks to throw in their drawers. Every so often one of them will get dressed, come in and say ‘look! Matching socks!’ as if it’s a small miracle they managed to find a matching pair 🙂 If I’m wearing boots I’ll quite often wear odd socks, I’m not fussy. I put odd socks in a bag and periodically chuck out ones which have been in there alone too long.

snosie

Missing socks

My odd socks become dusters… Now I have black socks with cloured parts, so they match – I hate two ‘look the same’ socks, that ‘feel different’ when wearing (looser, tighter etc). The dusting socks are great… sure microfibre’s good too, but these i use, and toss in the wash and don’t miss them whilst they linger in the dirty clothes basket (I don’t have as many microfibre cloths)

Missing socks

I must confess that I’m a pair-o-holic. So I put them into the washing machine as pairs and re-pair them when they come out of the dryer. If I can’t find the pair – I go looking for them. Of course, almost all my socks are black so when I do lose one, it’s not a great problem… it’s just a compulsion with me I think.

(I also fold my underwear into neat piles in the drawer).

Swede

Missing socks

Haha, that cat story was hilarious!! 🙂 My kitty also walks off with socks but as they are indoor cats I can normally find them lying around in a corner somewhere. He looks awfully proud walking around with a bundle of socks in his mouth! Hehe.

Since I have to work in a suit I have mostly silly socks with weird patterns on them. It’s my little secret in the office. 😛 Today for example I am wearing pink socks with little brown hedgehogs on them.

I leave odd socks at the bottom of my closet until I do the laundry next. If I haven’t found their partner then they go in the bin. (I live in a small studio apartment so there aren’t many places they could be if they’re not in the laundry.)

liag

Missing socks

Odd socks and old ones also make great handpuppet bases for grandkids or preschools.

EraserGirl

Missing socks

i have had socks disappear for several reasons.

when i was married, my husband’s troubled nephew rented an apartment and he would sneak in and steal socks and towels and money.

when one of my cats was very young..whenever i would leave the house he would run and take one of my socks out of the laundry and carry it to the window where he could see me, as if to say..take me with you.. i have watched him do it, he would be in the window with the sock dangling from his jaw. this was cute..but i didn’t figure it out until i found a pile of socks behind the couch were he would drop them.

i once figured out that odd socks didn’t get into the same wash because they clung to other clothes or bed linens, or be left in the bottom of the basket or somewhere. I started buy my socks in ridiculous numbers 12+ at a time, and phased out the ‘odd’ colors. basically all white socks are the same make and model and match each other. all woolen socks will match all other woolen socks. that way when one gets parted if i do enough laundry it eventually finds its way back into the drawer.

RebeccaL

Missing socks

@Swede- me, too! I love wearing crazy socks under my boots at work- it’s like a little secret party for my feet. And really, who wouldn’t smile with a bunch of lady bugs/polka dots/ or Easter bunnies on their feet?

Mimi

Missing socks

conny, that´s lovely!

bandicoot

Missing socks

conny, i love that!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.