Home Forums Welcome Hello! Minnesotan Unclutterers needed!!!

This topic contains 31 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  cheesehead4ever 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

I’m STILL in Oklahoma. However, sooooooooon I’ll be relocating to St.Paul, MN (hopefully June) and I am looking for local/regional contacts who I can bother with somewhat tedious local/regional questions before and after my move north.

DF already lives in St.Paul and has prepared me as much as possible, but he’s unable to help with some questions like “which retailers are likely to sell a long, warm, stylish cardigan that will wash well?” and “what exactly is hotdish?” and “is it too early to plant the garden?”

It turns out (sadly) that I can answer nearly 80% of the “You Know You’re an Okie if…” quiz (I’ve lived here since 1997) but I score less than 10% on the MN version.

I’d love to move to MN knowing more people than just DF and his terrific boss, even if it is only online friendships πŸ™‚

mnbookworm

Minnesotan Unclutterers needed!!!

I’m here, lkh! So good to have you back and posting, btw. My posts have been rather few and far between…but still lurking and reading nearly everyday.

I live about 4 hours north of St. Paul in Minnesota in a rural setting near small towns, so I don’t know how relevant I might be to your experience of living in the Twin Cities area. I DO know that most of us Minnesotans don’t speak like Frances McDormand’s character (Marge Gunderson – the pregnant police chief) in the movie, “Fargo”. Ok, maybe some of us do…

It’s too early to plant the garden for sure (now that sounded like “Marge Gunderson”…he he!). We don’t plant here until the very end of May…like Memeorial weekend. Just a few years ago, we had a blizzard the end of April into the first week in May!

Ahhhh…HOTDISH!! Basically the same thing as a casserole, goulash, hash, etc. Usually a starch (pasta or potatoes) combined with a meat/protein and vegetables – either canned or frozen with the “binder” being canned cream of something soup. One joke is that if you want your hotdish to taste better you give it a different (better) name. Soooo…hamburger (ground beef)/macaroni/tomato hotdish would become…TA DA…”Italian Pasta Bake”…or something similar…you get the idea.

Not sure where you might buy a long warm cardigan…possibly go online and search first or just ask someone on the street who is wearing one…we Minnesotans are usually friendly and NICE… : )

So glad to have you joining us here in the land of mosquitoes…I mean 10,000 lakes. Any other Minnesotans on this forum??

chacha1

Well, I was born in Cloquet, but my family moved south when I was a little kid. πŸ™‚

lucy1965

My DH is from Minneapolis, but we haven’t lived there for years.

Thank you for responding everyone!

After watching “Fargo” last year with DF, I was a bit disappointed to learn that many Minnesotans don’t have that accent. Minnesota Nice is something I am anticipating eagerly after so many years of being stranded with pleasant but boundary-less Okies. DF tells me that my British Cottage Pie qualifies as hotdish, so does my Pasta Bake. I’m going to have to pin this hotdish concept down further.

Regarding mosquitoes, I happen to be horribly allergic to them. It’s going to be interesting…

I know I’ll have tons of questions throughout this year, so it’s great to know I have friends here to ask. Thanks so much for being willing to help!

liag

Hi–I actually graduated from Johnson H.S. in St. Paul and lived there with my parents for only my Senior year. I don’t have any negative feelings about the place (I was previously from PA) except it was SO COLD. People were friendly, and then housing was good. It seemed everyone’s name ended in -sen or-son except ours, so ethnically, in our Scandinavian neighborhood of the east side, we were ethnically unusual with a Jewish surname. It is not going to be hard to like the place. The lakes are pretty; the summer is nice; I recall feeling people were less materialistic there than the NE, but that was then; colleges there had lots of interesting lectures, entertainment for the public. Good luck, lkh.

Northshore
    Participant

I lived in Minnesota (mostly a suburb of Mpls) for 23 years and would go back in a heartbeat. While Garrison Keillor gets a lot right with Lake Wobegon, things are more complicated in the more diverse Twin Cities. For big cities, they are clean, well-governed most of the time, have great libraries and are generally forward-thinking.

But about that mosquito allergy. If you don’t have a screened-in something, you’re likely to miss summer because there are a lot of mosquitos. They’re not the state bird for nothing. DEET might become part of your morning routine.

I made good friends there but mostly through work. If I were to return, I’d join a church, go to some community ed classes and get to know my neighbors. It’s easier in the summer when people aren’t hurrying out of the cold.
    Good luck. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Jackthetiger

mnbookworm, I love Fargo and watch it on very hot days to help cool my brain. I would love to experience that cold isolated environment some day. That police officer is such a fantastic character.

Demerna

I live (and was raised) about 2 hours south of the Twin cities in the rural SE corner of Minnesota. I am more than willing to answer any questions I can. πŸ™‚

rutheverhart

I lived in Minneapolis for a decade. Great city. Enjoy it! Lots of great, cheap things to do, like walking around Lake of the Isles or going to the Como Park Zoo. And yes people are friendly. Don’t wait to plug in to things and meet people and enjoy!

Re the mosquito issue: It’ll be DEET and screened porches, and DF is going to have to go on summer hikes in the woods by himself. Last time I visited St. Paul a mosquito bit me through my jeans while we were hiking. The single bite ended up the size of a dinner plate because I couldn’t treat it immediately. My hiking days are over since my spine collapsed last year, but DF really doesn’t grasp (yet) that the allergy lands me in the ER sometimes. I use a hot water trick to keep the bites under control. This year I’m going to see if the ammonia trick works any better.

I’ve learned from living in FL and OK that cool hours in summer are times that I stay indoors. I have developed skin cancer from adapting to the allergy by only going outside in summer in the scorching heat of mid-afternoon.

So, I guess I need to know how bad the mosquitoes are in MN metro areas in the summer. I was only bitten in summer 2011 when we visited Pike Island, which was heavily wooded. DF completely downplays the mosquito issue because the rest of quality of life in MN is so wonderful.

EDIT: I was doused in DEET when the mosquito mugged me on Pike Island.

lucy1965

lkh, DH reminds me that our first summer in Salt Lake, we were both surprised to find that we weren’t doing the “Mosquito Dance” during a fireworks display. They can be very unpleasant, and with your allergy, I would seriously consider visiting a board-certified allergist for some good antihistamines.

There is more information here about the climate in Minnesota than a reasonable person might ever want, but DH’s father farmed in his youth and I grew up around farms, so a bit of personal preference is showing through.

Sales tax isn’t charged on apparel or shoes, and there’s a terrifying number of stores around: finding a cardigan won’t be the problem, but stopping at that might be!

mnbookworm

Very good idea on visiting the allergist, lucy1965. Especially since the DEET doesn’t seem to work for you, lifekeepshappening. Regarding mosquitoes here in MN…they are very much a PITA…even though their life span is short. If I could unclutter one thing here it WOULD be the mosquitoes!! Some things that are supposed to repel them are:

Wear light colored clothing, not dark clothing.
    Don’t wear floral or fruity fragrances outside.
    Some essentials oils are supposed to be good repellants…lemon eucalyptus being
    being one of the best. Only problem with them is that they evaporate
    rather quickly so you have to re-apply quite often.
    One mosquito repellent we have found to work well is Natrapel 8 Hour
    with Picaridin (found it at Walmart). Picaridin is supposed to
    be a newer chemical than DEET.
    And of course, get rid of ANY standing/stagnant water on your
    property. Mosquitoes breed in this kind of water.

On a more positive note…I did hear on the new this morning (on my drive to work) that Minnesota ranked # 3 (nationwide) for residents being HAPPY. Hawaii was first…Colorado was second and MN was third.

Northshore
    Participant

Sorry to tell you this, lkh. Mosquitoes are awful in MN. I agree with Lucy–see an allergist as soon as you get there. Between avoiding them and treating the bites, you’ll get by. A lot of cities spray if the mosquito population is especially bad.

Rosa

Hey, Lifekeepshappening, I’m in Minneapolis. I don’t get all the way across the river much, but it’s actually not very far.

Demerna

Maybe it is just me or maybe it is because MN living is all I have every really known, but the mosquitoes are not that bad! I live in a heavily wooded area with lots of lakes, creeks, slews, and the Mississippi river 1/2 mile away. There are many many products available to help with mosquitoes. You can walk into just about any department store and there will be a giant section devoted to mosquito repellents. Pick up some mosquito lamps, a spray you like and maybe some wipes and enjoy the outdoors, it is really not that bad. Also keep in mind that there are many things you can do around your home and apartment to stop mosquitoes from breeding in your area. However, ticks are the real PITA!!!

I’ll definitely find an allergist when I move, that’s a really great suggestion that I hadn’t considered. I follow all the recommendations for not attracting mosquitoes, but they find me irresistible. I’ve read this could be because I don’t/can’t eat garlic. The extra strong DEET does work, but doesn’t keep them all away. Supposedly only the females bite.

MNBookworm, I’m going to look for the repellent you recommended and try it here in OK before I move.

Rosa, I’m glad to know someone will be just across the river!

DF leaves OK today to go back home to MN. He’ll make one more visit here in April before moving day in June.

Demerna

I was actually meaning more along the lines of keeping down the mosquito population by not allowing breeding areas. This is a good link that talks about things you can do: http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/atlpamph.htm Lots of people leave out bird baths, kiddy swimming pools, buckets, pet bowls, etc… and they can quickly turn into mosquito breeding grounds; especially after a rain if things don’t get picked up you will have a mosquito outbreak.

@Demerna – thanks for the link! I keep our yard free of standing water as the Asian Tiger mosquitoes here adore me. I even go to the extent of checking out local neighborhoods for creeks and ponds before agreeing to live in a house. The house I live at now is not too bad because the neighbors never water their yards and we’ve been in a drought for 2 years, but attending friends’ evening porch parties and bbq’s is recipe for disaster.

Worst thing is when there’s one that gets into the house or car.

I’m trying to figure out the months that mosquitoes are a problem in the Twin Cities area. Hopefully it’s a shorter season than FL and OK. Here in OK it’s usually March-October. FL was, of course, year-round hell.

NOT ABOUT MOSQUITOES: I just put DF on the plane home to MN. He’ll be back here in April, by which time I plan to have my non-essential belongings boxed and stacked downstairs so that the labor of moving in June is less exhausting. The question is, why do I even own non-essential belongings?!

Demerna

Mosquito season is generally mid-May to mid-September, we get around 8 months that are mosquito free. πŸ˜€ Mosquito season peaks around the 4th of July.

@Demerna – that is some GOOD news. Or at least some no so bad news, lol. I did read that climate change means the Asian Tiger mosquito is now breeding in MN. Not so good news.

Today I need to pack two boxes. Was supposed to pack one yesterday and it didn’t happen due to my kids coming home from their dad’s 2 hours early.

Rosa

Demerna forgot to say those 8 months, we have snow πŸ˜›

It’s actually been lovely all week, sunny and melty and no mosquitos yet.

hahahaha Rosa!!! Everyone warns me about the cold and snow. I grew up in England, I’m just glad to live somewhere where the sun shines fairly reliably. I’ll be glad to leave behind the constant blustery dust-laden winds of Oklahoma.

Calico

Another Minnesotan here! I’m about an hour and a half northwest of the Twin Cities (near St. Cloud).

Hi Calico! Thanks for joining the thread πŸ™‚

lucy1965

Dear heart, we’re warning you about the snow because it’s not like London, where an inch falls and the city shuts down: there’s 8 miles of Skyway for a reason.

LOL Lucy!!!!!!!!!!! That happens in Oklahoma City too. They cancel school as soon as someone reports seeing a snowflake πŸ™‚ In 1989 I visited Moscow in December… wearing London clothing. I remember feeling my flesh freezing onto my skeleton as we stood in Red Square.

I have invested in a Lands End coat that’s supposed to be good down to -20F or maybe lower. It was their most hardy coat at time of purchase. I’ve worn it here and it’s definitely cozy down to 22F which is the coldest we’ve had. I’m waiting to buy decent winter clothing/boots until after the move. Stores in OK offer gauzy cardigans, novelty print snuggies and tshirt fabric hats in winter.

DF recently claimed there is no inclement weather, only inadequate clothing. To which I replied that in MN my clothing will be a HOUSE.

So, is it cold enough to do that trick of throwing boiling water outside and seeing it freeze mid-air?

Calico

Oh,yeah! A few years ago my brother did the boiling water trick for his kids, then called a friend who lives even further north to tell him about it. The friend’s reply? “Yeah, we’ve already done that three times today….”

I find it hilarious that in the winter, Minnesotans will talk to complete strangers about their underwear. As in, “Yep, I’ve got my long johns on today!”

chacha1

I got some silk long johns and I wear them pretty much every time we go to San Francisco. πŸ™‚ That is how much of a sissy this Minnesota-born girl is now after 18 years in Los Angeles.

Chacha – where did you buy them? I bought some sort of thermal undershirts two years ago and they did not stand up to even one warm Okie winter of washing and wearing.

EDIT: what brand is what I meant!

chacha1

lkh: Wintersilks. They are verrrrry nice and so thin they don’t turn a person into the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.

We used to live in Stillwater and now live in Stearns County (near St. Cloud). But I originally grew up in Wisconsin.

Hot dish…. I have come to the conclusion that hot dish is throwing random ingredients together. A veggie, meat, rice or noodles and a soup. Casseroles on the other hand, follow a recipe.

Love your comment about the coat you purchased. You will find that when you are here, that you will see people in coats that would not be considered winter gear or even just sweatshirts in any temp over zero. I have about five winter coats for every range of temperature or occasion.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.