Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets Minimalist wardrobe/personal uniform

This topic contains 59 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  pkilmain 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

wintersmom

So…I’m trying to clean out my closet and establish a minimalist wardrobe/personal uniform.

1) I’m having a hard time letting go of my old clothes, even though I don’t particularly like them and they don’t fit very well anyway. Any words of wisdom to get me going?

2) Has anyone achieved the perfect minimalist wardrobe and/or personal uniform? I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Claycat

Minimalist wardrobe/personal uniform

I guess I have. LOL! I wear jeans and t-shirts.

I laugh, but this is mostly true! I have nice slacks and shirts and one or two skirts. I wear mostly black, denim, and beige. I have about 6 pairs of shoes.

At this point in time, I don’t need a lot of clothing. My husband works outside of the home, but we are rural and only have one car. So, I am in the process of starting to sell on ebay and I’m planning on creating a blog and monetizing it.

charmed2482

Well mine isn’t perfect, But I’ve almost eliminated everything in my closet that doesn’t fit, except about two pairs of pants and i think there might be one shirt in there somewhere. I’ve been thinking of doing another clothing purge soon so that might get fixed. I do like keeping one pair of pants as weight loss inspiration as that has helped me in the past, I just try them on once in a while to get a good idea on how well I am doing.

I did replace most of my shirts with v-neck Boyfriend T’s from Target, I really like them because they are comfortable and long enough for me. I also like the Mossimo supply brand, so i replaced my jeans with some of those when they were on sale and got rid of all the ones that were to big. so I mainly wear jeans and boyfriend T’s now when not at work. I have khaki pants and red shirts to wear to work since I also work at Target. I have some other loose fitting pants I wear around the house and a couple of black tank tops to wear as under shirts sometimes since the V-neck T’s are a little low cut.

The only other clothes I have that I wear regularly are two sweaters If iI feel like I want to be a little dressier, and some other black shirt I got a while ago, I have a lot of black shirts b/c they look better on me. I was mostly wearing black till I got the boyfriend T’s in a bunch of different colors. I also have some long skirts I like to wear in the summer and a few short ones.

I don’t like having to think about my clothes, and generally just end up grabbing whatever is easiest anyway. Whenever I do worry about how I look or what I’m wearing, I just end up really frustrated.

my original goal was to have sort of a personal uniform that consisted of jeans and black shirts, but now its jeans, some black shirts(a couple are dressy) and V-neck T’s of various colors. I also have a couple other T-shirt I wear sometimes that I don’t want to get rid of, like my Dance Dance Revolution T-shirt, and my Silver Surfer T-shirt, and another one with a funny picture and words on it.

Then I have stuff like gym clothes, one pair of yoga pants and some large mens T-shirts I got on clearance, that double as workout gear or sleepwear.

Zora

I have, but I don’t think you want to take me as a model.

I live in Honolulu, which means I wear shorts year round. Everyday uniform is shorts plus plain teeshirts (on the long side). I’m fat and hard to fit, so I sew my own shorts, and buy cotton tees from Ulla Popken. All my shorts are mix and match with all my teeshirts. I go for colors in the blue/navy/dark purple/rust-red/dark green/brown/grey range, matched with off-whites.

For dressier occasions, I wear salwar kameez (South Asian pants and long tunic top) that I sew myself. Few people realize that I’m wearing salwar kameez, because I use standard fabrics and don’t add decoration. Just looks like loose pants and tunic. All my kameez match all my salwars.

Three patterns, plus mail-order teeshirts. Boring, ne? But comfortable and cheap. Fit me perfectly and they’re so well-sewn (all seams enclosed, lots of handwork) that they last a long time.

This is not a fashionable approach. This approach requires sewing skills.

Claycat

Whoa, Zora. I could get used to year around shorts! Hawaii is paradise! The dressy clothes sound so comfortable.

Linada

My uniform seems to be jeans or trouser with either turtleneck or a shirt plus a cardigan of some sort, either dressy or warm, depending on the weather. Everything is solid colours, and a lot of neutrals, so easy to mix, match and spruce up with jewellery and scarves etc.
    Of course in summer all the floaty dresses and skirts come out πŸ™‚

bandicoot

i live in the tropics, so i can wear the same clothes year round.
    for the last fifteen years i’ve had the same basic shirt and pants made over and over, with tiny variations, in linen and cotton and silk.
    i stick to blues and white and black with the occasional pink/red/purple garment.

as it happens, i went shopping in denpasar yesterday, at my very favourite fabric shop in bali and i was very disciplined with my selections as a result of all my recent decluttering.
    i had a list and i stuck to it and my only deviation was a few metres of amazingly beautiful bright red sand-washed silk.

for shoes, i stick to birkenstock clogs and sandals and i look out for the dressy groovy ones. i look after them and they last for years.

i buy t-shorts and yoga pants online, to work in.
    we have a workshop on our property and we both make handmade soap fulltime and nothing wrecks clothes faster than soapmaking!

Claycat

Wow, bandicoot, how wonderful! You have an amazing life! Your clothes sound great.

Do you sell your soap online?

Ugh, I wish I had my wardrobe in order. I am in the process of “using up and wearing out” my clothes so I can buy new ones, guilt-free. I don’t ever plan on simplifying my clothes to the point of them becoming a uniform because I love variety too much. But I am getting to the point where the clothes I have are wearing out and I am having trouble figuring out what kind of nice/quality clothes I would like to replace them with. I don’t know what kind of style I have, so to speak!

angelicious

This will sound ridiculous, I know.

I injured my foot a year ago last Sunday. A pretty severe injury, requiring an MRI, shots, a cast, possible surgery in 3 months if healing doesn’t progress.

So what has my foot injury to do with my wardrobe? I can basically only wear 3 pairs of shoes comfortably, and must plan my wardrobe around those 3 pairs of shoes, or suffer for a few days and prolong the healing process.

Whatever I wear must match the shoes. Two pair are Skechers, the ballet-flat style that accept orthotic inserts without looking foolish. One pair brown, one pair black. No heels, no cute strappy sandals.

I said it was ridiculous! But I now wear 2 pairs of jeans and 2-3 skirts almost exclusively, since they match my footwear. Summer shorts are no problem, but they go in a drawer.

Thanks to this year-long uniform style, my closet is 3/4 emptier. As much as I’d like my foot injury to be gone (NOW, please!), it defn has caused me to rethink my wardrobe.

chacha1

Is the idea to achieve a minimalist WORK wardrobe? Because that, I have definitely done.

First, you want to figure out what fits you best and is most comfortable and what looks best on you. This is the hardest part. I am an easy-to-fit 5’6″ size 8 … fortunate, but also disciplined (and vain).

My work uniform (I work in a law office) is Lucy everyday pants in four colors, and an assortment of nice-looking tops. Shoes are Steve Madden or Clarks or Nike, comfortable for walking but not overtly athletic shoes.

This won’t work for everyone, obviously. I’d really advise having a fashion show with two trusted friends and having them give you their honest opinions of what you have that suits you and what fits. Then YOU decide if you agree – and if it’s comfortable, go look for more clothes like that, and throw out everything else.

Good luck!

wintersmom

A lot of really interesting comments! Thanks, all, for sharing. I’m a SAHM, so I just need comfortable, easy-care clothes to wear while chasing my toddler around. I think having a personal uniform will be easier since I’m not in the working world anymore. I used to work in an office where all the women were very well-dressed, and they’d give each other the once-over whenever they met in the hall or restroom. It was like high school all over again.

A funny anecdote: My husband, who is NOT a clotheshorse, has been obsessing over what to wear to work these days. Why? Because he wore blue dress shirts (different ones) two days in a row, and several (male) coworkers remarked on it. “Hey, were you burning the midnight oil? Isn’t that the same blue shirt you wore yesterday?” I didn’t think guys noticed stuff like that, especially guys in a hard-core tech company.

@Jeri Dansky — Thanks for the link! I can’t wait to read through it.

@chacha1 — I just ordered a pair of Lucy Everyday pants earlier this week. I’m hoping they will become part of my personal uniform. They look so comfy, and they actually had the right inseam for my very short legs!

charmed2482

at my last job, two of the guys who have to wear dress clothes to work wore the same exact pants and shirt one day and everyone gave them crap about all day long. It was funny, but that just show how much everyone pays attention to the clothes you wear.

Anonymous

@angelicious, I’m with you, girl. My orthodics have made a tremendous difference in the pain level of my feet and legs, but the two pairs of shoes and one pair of athletic shoes have limited the wardrobe options. I have not worn a skirt for the entire school year, just black or brown slacks and a plain top. It’s boring, but has decluttered the closet for me. Now the black shoes are goners and I am dreading the shoe shopping experience. Junior high kids definately notice what you wear so I avoid slacks with any detail. That way it looks more like a uniform and less like you wear the same pants three times a week.

wintersmom

@chacha1 — Just tried on the Lucy Everyday pants…wow, I can see why you wear them every day! They fit great and they’re so comfy. Plus the fabric and cut are very forgiving on my very-far-from-perfect body. They’re pricey, but I think I may buy one or two more pairs.

Claycat

It’s funny, this clothes thing. Clothes haven’t been very important to me since high school. It may have been because I had a “friend” who made fun of my clothes in junior high. So, in high school I was on the high fashion board for awhile. After I was an art student in college I stopped caring much about what I wore. I guess I was just a hippie at heart! I just want to be comfortable. My mother didn’t understand it, because she was very clothes conscious. My aunt, her sister, was like me in just wanting to be comfortable. I guess I understand that people who work where clothing is important are more conscious of it. However, the superficiality of it reflects our society in general and the health of our anorexic teen girls in specific.

Oh, well, just running off at the mouth here… πŸ™‚

Sky

Claycat….I agree. The fashion industry is a racket to get us to spend more money every season by convincing us we need the latest style. I decided a long time ago what my personal style is and have stuck with it. I have my basic wardrobe with a few fun pieces. I don’t care what is “in style” and don’t read fashion magazines. I wear what is comfortable and works for my body.

charmed2482

Anyway I really like the idea of just having like 4 pairs of jeans and a stack of plain shirts, I probably wouldn’t go with white though, I like black better and it looks better on me. But I like a lot of the clothes I have now. So maybe when I finish loosing weight and need to buy some new stuff anyway I can just start from scratch.

npersing

re the Lucy every pants, can anyone tell that they are not “dress” pants? I LOVE the look of them & they would fulfill my dream of wearing yoga-y pants to work everyday (esp bc yoga pants look better on me than EVERYTHING else). I am a brand new faculty at a hospital, am in my 20s & need to look very professional (without wearing a suit everyday) & have been trying to update my wardrobe keeping the unclutterer principles in mind & trying to stay off “what not to wear.” I am hard to fit–size 10.5 shoes, 5’9, 168 lbs, & very long torso. I am having THE WORST TIME EVER trying to find clothing that fits well, looks professional, and is comfortable. kind of at my wits end, but don’t have any clothes or shoes so must. keep. shopping. (which I despise). Send help please!!

Zora

Don’t buy salwar kameez from sellers in India — lousy workmanship and guaranteed shipping grief.

You can probably wear the Lucy pants (which look interesting) with loose linen tops and accessorize with scarves and chunky jewelry.

Being long-waisted is hard; everything in the stores is too short. But if you look for tunics, you may find something readymade that looks nice on you. Don’t be afraid to pay for quality.

IMHO, the best solution is the one adopted by Bandicoot: find someone competent to custom-sew something. That’s what I do, except that I sew for myself. You probably don’t have the time for sew, but you may be making enough money to pay for a dressmaker. You can take him/her a top that you do like, and think flattering, and have him/her copy it. Get the pattern tweaked to perfection and then have it made in different colors.

HappyDogs

You know, I’ve had a personal uniform for years. I live in fear of my co-workers nominating me for one of those makeover shows where they make you break out of your mold and wear something new.

Sky

I have 2 friends that wear black pants and a black shirt everyday with different jackets, jewelry, etc. They always look professional and they know what they are wearing everyday!

I have a few more pieces than that but not many.

I really like variety in my clothes – I just want less but higher quality. What do most of you have to wear to work? My job requires “business casual” but I don’t have to wear suit jackets or skirts or anything. I hate having “work clothes” – I would love to wear jeans to work with a pretty top!

charmed2482

I have to wear khaki pants and red shirt since I work at Target. Since I am wearing it all the time, almost nothing else I own is red except for a couple thing I had before I started working there. I almost immediately change my clothes as soon as I come home b/c I don’t like keeping “work clothes” on after I am done at work. At my last job we were able to wear jeans and whatever as long as they covered out legs and followed the dress code, like no spaghetti straps and nothing inappropriate. I was a material handler in a warehouse type place though. I think more people on here are working more professional type jobs. But It was a lot nicer when I didn’t have to worry to much about what I was wearing to work and didn’t feel like I had to change as soon as I got home b/c my clothes were regular clothes and work clothes. But part of me likes having “work clothes” b/c I don’t messy my regular clothes at work, and I don’t ever have to think about what I am wearing to work, whatever khaki pants and red shirt is the easiest and cleanest to grab.

bandicoot

a work uniform is a blessing, it really is.
    it saves so much brain power not to have to put together work outfits!
    i have a few heinous old t-shirts and yoga pants and aprons for my work and it couldn’t be easier.
    if i had to go out to work, khaki pants and a red shirt sounds just about perfect to me.
    i worked as a chef for many years and that was pretty simple too…..i always knew what i was wearing. and when they came out with black chef’s jackets, i thought i’d died and gone to heaven.

wintersmom

@npersing — I think if someone really looked at your ankles, they could tell that the Lucy Everyday Pants are not dress pants. They have zippered ankles, and one leg has a small but bright orange tag near the hem.

@trillie — My wardrobe is really boring! I’d love to un-boring myself too, but I can’t pull off the fashions I like. I tried some romantic boho tops from Anthropologie once and I just looked silly. The thing with fashion is…you need to present the whole package I think. You have to do your hair and makeup and pop in contacts and wear the right shoes and carry the right bag. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me tired. I don’t have the time. Plus I don’t own a drop of makeup, I don’t own hair styling products, I like wearing my geeky glasses, so on and so forth. So I guess I have to make peace with being sartorially boring.

wintersmom

@trillie — Perhaps people will look at us and think, “Wow, her life is SO busy and interesting…she doesn’t even have the time to think about her clothes!”

I can’t even imagine having to move stuff from purse to purse just to match an outfit. Not that I have a lot of personal stuff to carry anyway. As long as I have my wallet, keys, phone, and camera, I’m good to go.

chacha1

@npersing, I think you could get away with the Lucy pants in a hospital setting, especially if you wear a tunic-length top or a jacket. Or even a short dress worn as a tunic – that’s a very happening look right now. If you find things of that nature with a high waistline, it can make your legs look longer.

I’m sitting in a cube all day, so pretty much nobody notices what I have on from the waist down. And I deliberately draw attention to my top half! I think the fact that the Everyday pants are *shaped* like trousers, not like leggings, makes them work-appropriate.

@wintersmom, I’m glad you like them! Comfy, right??

Most of us do have to preen our feathers from time to time. I like to shop from cheap catalogs like Venus, Body Central, and Newport News. Forever 21 also has some fun inexpensive stuff if you have the patience to go through all ten thousand racks.

SarahJ

Working as a chemist (before I got laid off) my ‘personal uniform’ was whatever didn’t have too many acid holes in it yet! I plan on starting grad school in the fall, and haven’t quite figured out how I want to dress for that…I’m going to be one of the older students, so I don’t want to look like a kid, but I don’t want to look older than I am, either…

nellieb

I vote for hiring a personal shopper, make sure you check their references. I’ve used two in the past and both were wonderful, helping me select clothing I would never have bought on my own. The most recent one I used not only cleared out my wardrobe with me, but then put together outfits and took photos of me so I could get up, look at a photo, and then pull out the pieces to wear! She taught me to separate all my clothing so I did not keep suits together and now I mix and match more easily.

wintersmom

@chacha1 — SO comfy, and I love that it gives me some protection from the dreaded plumber’s crack. I spend a good part of the day sitting on the floor, hunched over toys and books.

@Mid America Mom — Hey, you’re the first person who replied to question 1 in my post. Thanks! I realized that I’m reluctant to part with certain items because my mom bought them for me, and I’m worried that she’ll come over and say, “Where’s the gigantic pile of clothing I bought for you?” My mom can’t say no to a “deal” so she always buys way too much stuff at yard sales.

@nellieb — Was it expensive to hire a personal shopper?

vjb

Wintersmom: It’s hard to feel guilted into keeping stuff you don’t like – surely your mum wanted to make you happy with the gifts, not unhappy?

Maybe try uncluttering with a different focus. Pull all the clothes out of the wardrobe and put them on the bed, then put back the clothes you love and always get compliments in – ditch the rest! Then you don’t have to think about it. Plus with any luck some of your loved clothes will be ones your mum gave you, and she’ll see you wearing them a lot and enjoying them.

But if doing that would mean you’d have nothing to wear, maybe write down what the unloved but must-have clothes are as you put them back, and use that as a shopping list to replace them over time.

The other thing I do is put clothes on ‘probation’ – I turn the hanger hook the other way or put them in a separate pile, and in a few weeks if I haven’t worn them, out they go. It does make it easier!

I have a sort of loose uniform now – dresses and jeans with tops. I only managed to narrow it down, though, after I finally let go of the idea that at some stage I’d wear polished, glamorous clothes day-to-day… Then I could focus on making sure the types of clothes I DID wear were pretty.

wintersmom

@vjb — Hmm…not sure about the “happy” part. I think my mother was just being practical, in her own way. Here what she said when she gave me all this stuff:

1) The clothes were incredibly cheap, so how could she not buy them?
    2) Who cares if I don’t like them…I’m a SAHM anyway so it doesn’t matter what I wear when I’m at home.
    3) If I ever decide I don’t want the clothes, I should give them back to her.

Now, I’m reluctant to follow through on item 3 because my parents are packrats and I don’t want to add to their clutter. I would much rather donate the clothes to the needy.

vjb

What @trillie said. Wow, #2 especially is NOT a nice thing to say.

@wintersmom, in the end, if your mother gives the clothes to you, they’re yours. You’re allowed to give them away to whoever YOU want – a thrift shop, the rubbish bin, whatever. πŸ˜‰ Don’t take on her Stuff, psychological or physical, as your own.

PS: @trillie – a scarf and socks! I have this mental picture of you as a stuffed toy of some sort (maybe a Tigger), just in a scarf and socks! Hee πŸ˜€ But hey, it’s a start!

morfydd

@themusiclivez:
    I treat business casual as “pieces that could be part of a suit, but mixed and matched and not a whole matched suit all at once”. So I wear nice slacks or skirt, nice blouse (or knit shirt), sometimes a sweater, sometimes a contrasting jacket. (And by nice, I still mean machine-washable and inexpensive, just tailored with classic lines and out of decent material.

@SarahJ:
    Have you looked at the Academichic blog? They’re three grad students who talk about how to be stylish (in disciplines where that’s not really valued) but professional. Also, one of them is in Germany for a year-long fellowship and has a few posts about packing a really really constrained wardrobe for that stay. http://www.academichic.com/

wintersmom

@trillie, @vjb — #2 is a pretty wrong, isn’t it? That’s something I’d never say to a friend or to my own daughter when she’s older. My parents say messed up things to me ALL THE TIME though so I guess I’m used to it. Like my dad, who’s constantly telling me how fat I am… it was the first thing out of his mouth when he came to visit me two summers ago. My reply? “I JUST HAD A BABY THREE WEEKS AGO!!!!”

Anyway, I’ve been using my daughter as motivation to unclutter my wardrobe. I pick up a piece of clothing and ask myself, “If I wore this, would I be thinking about my clothes or focusing on my child?” I was able to pitch a whole bag of too-short shirts this way (I have a long torso, plus I’m always hunched over books and toys so I need extra coverage to prevent plumber’s crack). Whenever I wore those shirts while playing with my daughter, I was always distracted by how uncomfortable I felt. So, I’m making progress!

wintersmom

Hi all, here’s an update on my quest to simplify my wardrobe. For the past 3 weeks or so, I’ve been relying on:

– 1 pair of jeans
    – 1 pair of Lucy Everyday pants
    – 3 short-sleeve tees (2 scoopneck, 1 v-neck)
    – 2 long-sleeve tees (1 boatneck, 1 v-neck)
    – 1 zip-up hoody
    – 1 pair of sneakers

Everything is in neutral shades (a lot of black — what can I say? I’m a native New Yorker — some gray and brown). So far, so good.

I should note that these items are for when I’m going outside. When I’m puttering around the house, I’m barefoot in old yoga capris and some random top.

HappyDogs

I am curious how those of us who live in tropical area handle a minimalist wardrobe. Do you just wear black (and stand out like a tourist from the north?) Do you stick with beiges and whites? This is something I always struggle with. I’d love to hear how you handle fitting in when more colorful is more fitting in.

wintersmom

@HappyDogs — I imagine people living in warmer climes may need *more* clothes too. Or am I mistaken? I’m just thinking you’re out and about more often and getting sweaty. I feel like I’ll need a few more tees to make it through the summer here in Massachusetts.

HappyDogs

@wintersmom Oh, but here in California, it’s a dry heat…..only 120 degrees. No problemo!

morfydd

@HappyDogs – I don’t know why a minimalist wardrobe would necessarily be black. (Mine is, but it’s just a color I’m comfortable in.)

You could do it in white, or any colors you like. I think, for instance, a whole wardrobe in varying shades of aqua linen would be gorgeous, with a few coral or pink or white pieces mixed in. (Clearly, I need a Caribbean vacation – the above isn’t too practical for people with jobs.)

Khaki pants and skirts with white shirts and tan/brown shoes couldn’t be more sterotypically business casual, and warm-weather appropriate.

I think color isn’t as important to a minimalist wardrobe as is keeping its pieces working together.

For instance, I think flowy clothes are really pretty, but they make me look really sloppy when I try to wear them. So whenever I forget that and pick up a flowing blouse, it doesn’t go with any of my tailored clothes and just sits in my closet until I give up on it. And then I forget and pick up a flowy skirt, and *it* sits there. If I have both at once, even then it means they can only be worn with each other, *and* it’s such a break from my usual style that I don’t feel comfortable wearing it very often because people will recognize it.

But whether my tailored blouse is blue or green*, I can wear it with my tailored slacks or my tailored skirts without thinking about it.

*I lie. They’re black. Be braver than me! πŸ™‚

I agree with morfydd. To me, a minimalist wardrobe means having a few pieces that work well with each other. If I had to wear the same color everyday I think I would cry! I like variety in my clothes but I prefer to have less items but higher quality ones.

paulawylma

I’ve been using a capsule wardrobe for over 30 years and until a little over a year ago, I was a “permanent temp” for about four years. Since I was a temp, my wardrobe had to include clothes for office work in an office environment as well as office work in a warehouse setting. And since my assignments could last for anywhere from one week to one year (90 day assignment with multiple extensions) I had to have enough clothes not to look like I was wearing the same thing day after day. I went through a period when I tried the black theory but after a while the black fade and no longer match and well, it can be depressing–even with a colorful scarf or necklace. Anyway, the point is all you need for a business casual wardrobe is 3 bottoms (skirt or slacks, not jeans) and 4 tops. For a more regular business wear add two jackets or blazers. With this you can mix and match 12 days of outfits. At least one of the bottom should be part of a suit with one of the jackets (if you wear skirts, then one slacks and one skirt can match one of the jackets) and the others should be a color or pattern that complements the suit jacket. The second jacket can be a pattern that goes with the suit or a contrasting color that still looks good with the main color (the color of the suit). The idea is that you should have one main color and one secondary color that completments the main color, so that all the tops can be worn with all the bottom and with both jackets. If you don’t work in an office environment, then you can skip the jackets or have sweathers instead. If you work in a jeans environment, then you don’t really need a separate work wardrobe but can use the capsule idea for you casual clothes as well. If you use solid colors for the bottom, mix and matching will be easy. The tops depend on how formal your work environment is, but in general, one should be a white or cream blouse and one should be a shirt that can either be worn alone with the bottoms, under the jacket or worn over top one of the other tops as a shirt jacket. The nice thing about this method is if you get tired of a color, you can gradually fade it out with new purchases and update your look. Decide what color you want to fade out and what color you want to switch to. Then buy a scarf or blouse with a pattern that has both colors in it. Then you can add a bottom in the new color and if neccessary a jacket and then the transistion is complete. In this method you can update from year to year while wearing the same clothes just by updating the accessories.

Vivace

I live in Arizona and I wear pretty much the same thing year round – one pair black trousers, one pair brown, one pair black jeans, one pair blue. Five short-sleeve button down shirts. (Black, grey, white, brown, red.) One long-sleeve button down. (Black.) One dress jacket. (Black.)

I do have a wide array of ties for work, but they all fit in one box so I think it’s reasonable. But my office is mostly business casual, so I don’t need a dress jacket often.

(When it’s 120 out here, you’re not going to find me outside any longer than I have to be. ;D )

EraserGirl

i just noticed something in the my closet…after all the years of weeding, including buying replacements..i seem to have a ‘pallet’ – Blue Jean (washed and unwashed), Dark Navy Blue, Hunter Green, Black, White, that sweatshirt Grey color, and a warm Beige color – with some Christmas Red shirts and a couple of Sunshine Yellow – your basic Primary Colors, no muted tones or pastels.

I played a game the other day…apparently I got bleach on one of my Navy Polos and my nice heavy Red T-shirt (broken hearted)…so i went to the BIG thrift store where i get all my best clothes ..with a shopping list…Polo shirts, thick T-shirt, River driver (that’s a long sleeve T with 3 buttons), and THAT color pallet in mind.

Sure enough when i was shopping that was what i was drawn to. I came home with a Navy LL BEAN Polo, a Christmas Red Polo, a Hunter Green T-Shirt, a Christmas Red T-Shirt, a Beige Banana Republic Corduroy Jacket…all for $11 I also ordered a new pair of Jeans from LLBEAN – $27.

I guess this subliminal color pallet has always been in the back of my mind and I never noticed. But by sticking with this..it makes everything match when dressing and makes shopping very quick.

This doesn’t mean I don’t have some ‘other’ patterned items, but they are special pieces that pair nicely with a plain basic color item.

My “office uniform” tends to be a neutral-colored pencil skirt on the bottom, and either a v-neck cashmere sweater or a blouse on top. Tops are either neutrals or jewel tones. 3″-4″ heels, generally in fairly classic styles (no trendy booties, thank you!) Two dozen pieces provides a lot of mixing and matching, and almost everything goes together. Belts, jewelry, and other accessories add a bit of “zing” and make the basic pieces look pulled together.

emmylemmy

I love the IDEA of a capsule wardrobe but every time I think about the actual execution I can’t help feeling like I would be bored senseless. I am super jealous of my SO whose wardrobe is incredibly straightforward and yet he always looks fabulous. In varying quantities, all he has are:

– jeans
    – chinos/khakis
    – shorts
    – tees
    – polos
    – button-down dress shirts
    – sweaters
    – a suit and a few ties (his work is business casual so this is strictly for funerals, etc.)
    – maybe 4-5 pairs of shoes

With this small number of items, getting dressed in the morning is a breeze, everything mixes and matches and he always looks fantastic–never boring or like he’s wearing a uniform. I have a sneaking suspicion that he has unintentionally perfected the art of the capsule wardrobe.

Is it just me or do women have it a lot harder because there are so many more possibilities and so much reliance on trends in terms of what items are available? I crave the simplicity of a capsule, but if my wardrobe looked like my SO’s I would feel so inadequate style-wise. Is this all in my head? Should I bite the bullet and get back to basics?

The irony of all this is that I’m so lazy about doing my laundry that I end up wearing the same things all the time anyway…oh life…

pkilmain

It’s the quantities that get me. I have pretty much the same number of varieties of things (no ties of course!) but lots of tees, too many pairs of jeans, and let’s not talk about shoes……

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.