Home Forums Living Spaces Your Home Office Minimal Printer/Scanner for home office

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  robin m 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

juliarose

I’m narrowing in on what I need in my home office. I don’t do much here, as my computer at work is much better. But I do my banking online, as well as things like plan vacations, manage pictures, etc. I currently have an All-In-One printer, copier, scanner, fax. It’s pretty big (bigger than my computer) and slow, and the software is frustrating.

So I’m looking for something to replace it with. I realize I don’t need all those functions. I would like a scanner that is fast, 300 dpi is adequate resolution for everything I do with it. I like the idea of scanners that automatically file and index documents (but I’ve never seen one in action). I also occasionally need a printer, but that’s quite rare and doesn’t have to be so fast. A good old desk-jet will do the trick (do they still make desk-jets?). I’m thinking about investing in a good document scanner, and a just-so printer, instead of going the all-in-one route. I guess the downside to this idea is 2 power cords instead 1, 2 connections to my computer instead of 1, 2 device drivers instead of one.

Ok, maybe it’s not such a good idea. But does anybody have a better idea? I just don’t want another device that does everything and none of it very well.

meghank
    Participant

Try this for scanning http://www.amazon.com/NeatDesk-Desktop-Scanner-Digital-Filing/dp/B001CQ8ER2/ref=sr_1_1/186-2489080-9025922?ie=UTF8&qid=1399686960&sr=8-1&keywords=neat+scanner

In the VERY VERY rare instance I need to print something, I walk to the copy shop and have them print it. Who prints nowadays?

robin m
    Participant

I think when our current all-in-one dies, we will go with a B&W laser printer like this one. We print fairly regularly, but certainly don’t need color.

As far as a scanner, I considered the Neat products but wanted something that was using more of an open standard.. so we just got the Fujitsu Scan Scap s1300i.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.