Home Forums Challenges Sentimental Clutter Memory box

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Puss1 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Puss1

As mentioned in previous posts I have decluttered my old journals. I have now been through my memory box and am keeping everything in there, the only things I am wondering about are my old appointment diaries and letters from a friend, they don’t take up much room, are they worth keeping?

meghank
    Participant

I recently got a huge box of journals, poems, songs, photos and such from when I was younger. I kept a few of the most ‘important’ for about 3 months, then i realized I wasn’t that person anymore and recycled the lot. It felt so liberating to be rid of them. I don’t know what it is about the diaries and letters you want to keep, but for me, i was holding on to that old person who is so different from who i am today. letting go felt so good

Puss1

Hi, thanks for your reply. I recently have thrown out a lot of old journals after having them scanned. I am now keeping a journal on a notepad and any ranting or anything too personal is going on the computer or in a separate notepad and will get destroyed. I do like to have some memories to look back on. The other diaries are just appointment diaries but they are interesting to look back on and I can see when I did things at a glance. I now keep my appointments in my phone calendar but still like to keep the past paper ones, they are not too personal after all. The letters are from a friend I am still in contact with and I like to keep them for sentimental reasons and they don’t take up much room. I have felt relieved since letting of the other journals though.

Puss1

Hi, thanks for your reply. I recently threw out a lot of old journals and I do feel relieved because of it. I am now keeping a journal on a notepad and anything too ranting or personal goes on the computer or in a separate notepad and gets destroyed.

The other diaries are my old appointment diaries, I like to look back on them as they give me an idea of what I did and when and they are not too personal.I now keep my appointments in my phone calendar. The letters are from a friend I am still in touch with, they are sentimental to me and don’t take up much room. I know what you mean about the feeling of relief, I hesitated on getting rid of those journals for months and after doing it I do feel better, but I do like to keep some kind of written record.

Jackthetiger

Meghank, It sounds like a relief to get rid of all that old stuff.

Boogie

All my memory stuff is in a couple of old briefcases. After I have scanned all my Dad’s slides I WILL get round to sorting them out!

Puss1

Hi, I keep my old appointment diaries just to be able to look back as it gives me a reminder of the things I’ve done, like films seen at the cinema, holidays, meals out etc. Those are things I don’t put in my journal unless its relevant to that particular entry.

Puss1

Hi, I keep my old appointment diaries because they remind me of things I’ve done, like cinema visits, holidays and events, I don’t just record dental appointments and things like that. I don’t record these things in my journals (the one I have restarted) unless its specific to a particular entry.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.