Home Forums Welcome Hello! March in the Garden

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  djk 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

As we approach Spring in the northern hemisphere I hope some of you are seeing the end of the snow and cold weather.

Today the plan is to spend about 1/2 hour in the yard raking more leave (we had a new downfall as a result of our 50 MPH windstorm) and transfer a few more buckets of good soil from the soon-to-be-transformed vegetable raised beds into the flower beds. It’s a glorious day and I want to spend some time outside 🙂

lucy1965

March in the Garden

It’s going to reach the high 40s here for the rest of the week, so I’m going out to clean up the front beds (rassenfrassen road salt on my poor plants).

gailbon

March in the Garden

@susanintexas, the wind has been relentless here in the Northeast, so I feel your pain. I have not been able to get anything done outside in the garden. But I did buy some packets of seeds that can be planted in early spring, once I get the soil turned and ready to go.

Mimi

March in the Garden

wohoo, i spend the first hour in the garden this year! with cap and gloves but anyway, spring is in the air!
    i cut down the rests of the asters. i love them so much- they were in flower until late november last year. that´s so great, flowers in wintertime! now they are ready to grow again.

luxcat

March in the Garden

hubby and FIL took out more of the Evil Bamboo in the back garden and put in 4 plants to start a hedge. Other side of the wall to be done in a couple weeks.

March in the Garden

Well done, all!

I spent some time in the front yard again — there seem to be many, many leaves — more than our trees could possibly have dropped in a week — and I figured out that they all blew in from the messy neighbor’s yard. Sigh. Filled up my last big bin liner.

March in the Garden

I was bracing to sweep leaves from our driveway and then yesterday was super-windy and today there are no leaves… just branches blown down from the dead tree. I must get that tree taken down before tornado season gets started.

pkilmain

March in the Garden

DH has decided he is not going to plant a veggie garden this year. I’ll miss it, but it will give me the opportunity to get some fresh veggies that we don’t usually grow. He will still have his fruits: strawberries, raspberries, currants and rhubarb, and the greenhouse for tomatoes. This all gives us the opportunity to travel for a longer period this spring/summer.

As for the yard, it still has a couple feet of snow, so it’ll be seveal months yet. 🙂

Jackthetiger

March in the Garden

Last week we finally received our first rain for months. It saved us having to water our veggies for a couple of days.

The tomatoes are dying back and will be pulled out this weekend. Our beautiful sun baby beans are still producing madly, but the borlotti beans are all finished. I planted another 15 pea seedlings that had been grown at home to squeeze in one more crop before the end of summer. I am planting seeds for the trans-seasonal swap over on the weekend; carrots, beetroot, lettuces, spring onions and bok choy. I noticed that the broccoli seeds have sprouted this morning. I find they can be a bit slow, so I started them early and am hoping that the sun does not frazzle them. In one month I will plant the broadbeans :)))

Still holding off with planting any ornamentals at home until the weather cools.

Our 48′ high dead tree is being taken down as I type. It died due to the past two summers of drought and insect infestation. I hired arborists rather than a general landscaping company because the tree is brittle and hazardous. I’m really enjoying watching the efficiency of the guy who is up in a crane cutting the tree. He’s very methodical and I think it’s going to take him less than 30 minutes to get the entire tree down… and then the ground crew get to spend hours on clean up.

Jackthetiger

The broccoli seedlings all died on a stinking hot day which cooked their delicate stems. I will plant new seeds tomorrow.

So sorry to hear about the dead things 🙁

The mountain laurel blooms — so nice! — are on their last legs, but the lady banksia roses have taken their place. The shrub roses are filled with buds — any day now. The hundreds of larkspurs are thinking of blooming — perhaps by Easter. The spirea is in flower. Got a HUGE bag of yard waste into Monday’s trash (DH bought 45 gallon bags) and can probably get another one gather by next Monday. The dirt is slowly being transferred from the soo-to-be-redesigned vegetable bed. My back appreciates taking it slowly. All is good.

Susan – slow gardening is good for backs! I’m glad I’m moving 800 miles north where the growing season is super short. I cannot keep up with how fast things grow in OK!

Jack – sorry to hear the broccoli seedlings came to an early end. I hope the next batch do better.

The huge dead tree came down yesterday. My request to mulch the wood and return it to my flower beds somehow turned into a 6ft stack of “firewood.” I explained to successive crew members that I have no fire and no need for firewood, I need mulch, which I had explained during the quotation (even asking if the mulch from my dead tree would be safe to use on my flower beds). After quietly offering the foreman the opportunity to talk to another man, DF, about manly things like contracts and checks, the workmen stacked the “firewood” on my curb and brought in some pre-existing mulch for the flower beds.

Some people have stopped by to pick up the “firewood” including a brother of one of the tree crew. He explained to me that the tree died of a fungus, therefore the wood can only be used for firepits where no cooking will take place and cannot be used indoors, thus it’s qualification as “firewood” is pretty limited.

The pre-existing mulch they used on my back yard flower beds was pine. Smells nice but now the soil will be too acidic for anything to grow. We’re not planting the beds anyway, but still.

Jackthetiger

I think some dolomite spread liberally may correct the acidity in your soil..

We have very alkaline soil, so send you pine mulch to me 🙂

Got another big bag of — hold your breath — chopped up leaves and acorns — into the trash. Couple of geraniums are getting ready to bloom.

clutterbug22

SIT, one bag down, only 99 more to go!, lol!

paisley

After being out of town, I came back to thousands (literally) of new weeds. I spent about 10 to 20 minutes weeding today– perhaps there will be more time later. At this rate, I will never get to the front yard. The good news is that the bougainvillea is blooming beautifully!

djk

No planting of my courtyard herb pots: we’re getting more snow this week. Sigh.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.