Home Forums Welcome Hello! Label maker

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  emmylemmy 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Anyone have a recommendation on one that is easy to use and easy to find refill supplies for? I am going to break down and get one soon.

Label maker

There are two big names in label makers: Dymo and Brother. Anything else is pretty much an off-brand. Both have been around for a long time and supplies should be available just about anywhere.

I have a Dymo letratag, which is pretty much bottom-of-the-line, at about $30. It works fine for small labels (it prints of 1/2″ stock.) Easy to use and comes with clear instructions.

pkilmain

Label maker

If you’re going to a lot, spring for the battery operated one. The old fashioned ones where you have to squeeze each letter are annoying (we have one to make temporary badges for a club, but since I only have to make one or two every month or two I can deal with it) And since we’re discussing this, a helpful ad just appeared on the right side of my screen….. Someone is watching all the time.

T

Label maker

I really love my Brother P-touch label maker (model is PT-70). It runs on batteries and I have gotten new tape for it at Staples I think – somewhere that was easy for me (and I buy enough each time that I get tape very infrequently). It allows me to do everything I need to do – plus has some bells and whistles (groovy block letters, etc.) that I don’t use but admire as options. It is so easy to use that my 4-y-old now makes and prints labels with his name on them… he figured out everything himself.

bandicoot

Label maker

i’ve got a cheap little dymo letratag handheld labelmaker, which runs on rechargeable batteries.
    it has been easy to use and reliable….and labels certainly help with organising and decluttering.

RebeccaL

Label maker

I’ve got a Dymo at home and use P-touch at work- happy w/ both, but I’d recommend getting one with a qwerty keyboard, instead of alphabetical layout- will be much easier to use!

Sky

Label maker

Ditto on the Brothers P-touch. I’ve had mine for years and it couldn’t be better.

Label maker

Thank you for the advice!

bandicoot

Label maker

yes, i wish mine had a qwerty keyboard!

ninakk

Label maker

This is a good thread! I have a nice printer now that makes good quality prints on label sheets as well, but it’s a pain to remove the back if there is no “gap” between label and back if you know? An example is when you print not two but three columns, meaning the gaps are reserved for the side columns only, whereas the middle one becomes even-sided when using a paper cutter. Groan. This also means that I rarely take time to make labels, as you preferably should make a full A4 to avoid wasting expensive label sheets.

My mom has a Dymo alphabet-based (not qwerty) old label maker, good for its purpose, but like previously commented, a pain when handling longer and more labels. And it does only one row, thereby being suitable only for labelling kitchen jars and such, not address labels for envelopes etc. Also, I would like for it to use typefaces that I have on my mac – any chance of finding such a refined gadget?

G.

Label maker

I have a Brother P-touch model PT-1880 and love it. It was a nice compromise between a basic model and the fancier one. It has 2 fonts, several print sizes and other options, can use battery or AC adapter. I can’t recall right now if it does 2-line labels or not. I haven’t had any issues with the tapes coming loose either.

I thought about the PC-based lable maker, but decided no way did I want to be running back and forth between where I was labeling and the computer.

I had a Dymo (the small battery operated one) and it gave up the ghost, and NOT from over use either. I don’t think I had even run a full 2nd cartridge through it in the couple of years I had it. I also had some issues with the tapes not staying stuck to the plastic drawers.

Keep an eye out, I think this is the time of year they may go on sale, along with many other organizing items.

Mimi

Label maker

do you need those label makers?
    i take a piece of paper, write down the name of the labled thing, put a scotch tape on it and stick it to the thing. ;o)

ninakk

Label maker

@Mimi: They are good especially in the kitchen if you use clear (glass) jars, because at least the Dymo tape of my mom’s comes off very easily, so when you wash the jars you waste neither time nor alcohol or such to remove them. The look is also more streamlined when viewing file folders etc. and even though I consider my handwriting fairly neat, it’s easier to read a label text in a decent font size.

emmylemmy

Label maker

I have a $30 Dymo handheld and it’s pretty decent, though it is my first foray into label making so I don’t have anything to compare it to. A couple things I don’t like:

– I agree that the non-QWERTY layout is a pain. Not a big one, but a pain.
    – The paper tape it comes with doesn’t stick to everything perfectly. It’s a dream on the Sterilite 6-qt plastic bins I use for just about everything (office supplies, first aid kit, spare cords and batteries). Also very tenacious on the books and folders that are bouncing around in my backpack all the time. But I’m having trouble with it on the giant plastic tub that holds my off-season clothes. I think it has to do with the fact that the surface is textured and not perfectly smooth. I haven’t tried other tapes so I don’t know if they’re any better. But I like the clean look of a printed label so I don’t see it as too much of a hassel to just put a piece of clear packing tape over top to hold it down.
    – I wish the edges cut a little cleaner when removing your newly minted label from the machine.

BUT it’s got loads of font size and style options (at least loads more than I could possibly use) and very good battery life. The tape is available at every Staples I’ve ever been to, though not always in a vast array of options, and the backing comes off very easily.

I’m on vacation right now and this is making me pine for my label maker…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.