Home Forums Welcome Hello! Keeping track of contacts

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Xiro 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Puss

Hi, I have just got a new phone upgrade, so some of my contacts were still on my sim card but not all of them. I have just entered them all again into my new phone, plus all the birthdays in the calendar. I have lost some contact numbers because when people change mobile numbers I put it in my phone but don’t always think to change it in my address book as with the mobiles you can just save it automatically when someone texts you their new number.

I now find I have phone numbers and addresses all over the place. Some in my phone, some in my address book, some in a paper diary. How do you keep track of all your contacts, do you keep them in your phone and write them all down somewhere or keep them backed up on your computer. Its getting quite messy now. In the days when I used to use a Filofax all the stuff was in that one place but I don’t want to go down that route again of carrying around a bulky Filofax when I have a nice slim smartphone.

Anonymous

Keeping track of contacts

I keep addresses and birthdays in a small moleskein book along with phone numbers. After seeing countless people on Facebook sending “lost all my numbers” messages when their phones went missing, I am motivated to keep a paper copy. I suppose you could keep a spreadsheet on Evernote or Google docs instead.

herisff

I too use a small Moleskine address book. But then, I don’t have a smartphone, just a pre-paid Go phone, which I rarely use. Most of my calling is done from home, so the address book works well for me.

whyawhelk

I sync all my contacts from my android smartphone to my gmail account, information like birthdays automatically appears in my google calendar, and therefore, in my phone and tablet calendar. I never save anything to my sim card, this way I can get a new smartphone, sync it with my primary gmail account, and access all my contacts again without having to reenter them. I don’t use any data plan, but whenever I’m home, my phone accesses the wifi and sends anything I’ve added or changed to gmail.

JayEff

My contacts are in gmail. The contacts automatically appear on my Android smartphone.

Mimi

like whyawhelk and JayEff i sync my contacts with google. this is so cool. lost your phone? change you google password. ready. nobody will have access to your contacts. got a new phone? type in your google password. all your contacts sync automatically. forgot your phone at home? log in your account from a friends computer or in an internet café and you have access to all your contacts. tired of typing contacts in your phone? do it at home on your computer… this is the most uncluttered contact management ever.

Puss

This is interesting about Google. If you keep all your addresses in Google, even of people who don’t keep in your phone will it automatically synch all those? Can you also back up any notes you make in the apps on your phone to Google on your computer?

pkilmain

Although my phone was stolen this fall, as soon as I had a new one, all my contacts were there! Thank you icloud/Google. (and since it was stolen in Europe, I suspect they just ditched my US sim card and put in a new one)

Irulan

I keep a cloud-based spreadsheet (not Google) with addresses, phone numbers, birthdays, etc. and protect it with a password.

Active phone numbers are on the sim card in my phone, and I didn’t have to do anything to transfer it from the old phone. When I got the new one at a store, the clerk plugged the phones into each other and then activated a “contacts transfer” app on my new phone. I broke and then threw away the old sim card. Easy-peasy.

Xiro

I keep an address book on my computer just in case, these days no one really looks at numbers anymore, if I did I would remember them, just press their name so back ups are always good.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.