Home Forums Welcome Hello! Keeping a positive journal

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sleepykitten 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Puss1

Hi all, I can’t describe how relieved I feel to actually get rid of the physical journals at last. As I said previously I do still want to keep a handwritten journal and keep the rantings on the computer or shredded!

Does anyone else keep a journal that they hold onto and never destroy? If so, how do you keep it more positive and where do you do your venting when you feel the need to?

sleepykitten

I try to keep a one-sentence journal a la The Happiness Project where I write one (or sometimes two) sentences each day about how the day went. I don’t avoid negative things, but I write with the idea that I will be re-reading it someday – the point is not to vent. I write in other places as well, but the one-sentence journal is what I intend to keep for posterity. I also like the idea of only a couple sentences a day, because I hope to live for another 60 years, and I don’t want to be drowning in journals at the end of my life! I want to leave just enough information so that it might be interesting or comforting to friends, loved ones, historical societies, whatever…

Puss1

Hi Sleepy Kitten, thanks for your reply. Do you keep one of those five year journals with a sentence or two for each day? I did contemplate this but then I’m not very good at keeping up journalling daily, I tend to write as and when I feel the need. At the moment I am writing about a page or two in my written journal. This afternoon I did some venting in a seperate notepad which I will type up later and destroy the pages, I wrote seven pages which I won’t keep as it was pure venting but I feel I can go into more detail with this kind of entry on the computer. I do want to keep a handwritten journal too though but I certainly am glad I got rid of the old ones, reading them back was too tedious.

sleepykitten

What I do is the same concept as those 5-year journals, but I just keep it in a regular notebook. Do whatever works for you, of course, and good luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.