Home Forums Welcome Hello! I've finally done it – destroyed the journals!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Puss1 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Puss1

Well the hard copies anyway, I still have them scanned but I made a decision last week to get rid of the originals, I kept looking through them and reading them through with all the rantings was somewhat tedious. They are there on the hard drive if I do want to read them again but they are not there physically and it does feel better, so far I don’t regret it.

I still do want to journal though so now I have notebook (a reporter style one where pages can be torn out if needed) and I am journalling in a different way. I am writing about the things I don’t mind people seeing, anything I want to vent about and want to keep private I either type it onto the laptop or write on the notepad then tear out those pages and destroy them.

I keep all my appointments in my phone calendar which works for me fine (especially as I now have a new phone where the calendar is really cool). I am still hanging onto my old appointment diaries though as they are good to look back on and keeping a diary on my phone means I don’t have that written record to look back on so I am thinking of using an appointment diary just for day to day activities but I don’t want to accumulate clutter so I guess I could use the notepad journal for this, any ideas?

I do feel better though for finally making a decision about this.

bandicoot

puss, this is the best news i have had all week!
    congratulations.
    i think this is a really good step for you, and i highly doubt you will ever regret it.

sleepykitten

Many congratulations. Making a decision feels great, right? You are now free to spend your time and energy doing other things.

Lossea

Congratulations to you! You sound very glad you were able to make the long desired change, and I am happy for you. Getting rid of my physical journals still feels very good! Enjoy the new freedom.

djk

Well done, Puss!

s

Great work, Puss!

clutterbug22

Puss, I’m so glad you’ve accomplished this, it’s definitely a positive decision especially as you were tying yourself in knots in trying to decide what to do. I think you are going in absolutely the right way in your new method of journaling.

As for your wanting a record of your appointments perhaps you could note them on a small or slim calender that doesn’t take up too much space? I have to admit that I have got previous calenders still as I also like to keep a record of where I’ve been and what I’ve done, especially with the kids, over the years. Plus, it is a handy record for if you want to date photos.

Again, Well done, I expect you feel a great sense of relief!

Puss1

Hi all, many thanks for your replies. I do feel a sense of relief. I pondered over doing this for so long because I thought I would really regret it liked I did before when I tossed a load of journals but that time I didn’t have them scanned, at least I know I still have them somewhere this time.

I do want to save the journals I keep from now on but they shouldn’t be too cumbersome with being lightweight notepads and the content will be different. I will write down my feelings in them if its something I don’t mind being seen by others but any long winded tedious entries I decide to keep or tear out and throw away later if I find reading it back too tiresome.

I do tend to write in my journal more when I am upset or angry about something, but now I am trying to record other things too but I am not writing in it every day about everything I do, thats why I am inclined to keep the smaller diary but I find I am not keeping that up to date now that appointments are going into my phone.

Most importantly, I have lost the fear of ‘what if my journals are read either now or after I am gone’. I do want to leave journals behind so that it leaves an impression of me but not journals full of hurtful words and endless rants. I now wouldn’t worry about leaving my journal out and not under lock and key. I still wouldn’t want my privacy invaded but it would be a major panic now if anyone did take a look.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.