Home Forums Challenges How to count the outgoing stuff?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  ninakk 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Okay, I want to count stuff as I do my Purge’n’Pack effort for my upcoming relocation. Counting some stuff is obvious – 3 books, 4 gadgets, 9 cats… (no not really, I have one cat and he’s defn coming with me!)

How do unclutterers count underwear? kitchenware? papers? dolls and dollhouse accessories? craft supplies? The small bits and pieces are what weigh me down.

Suggestions?

bandicoot

How to count the outgoing stuff?

answering a question with a question is a scurvy trick, but i’ll do it anyway.
    and my question is…..why?

Ella

LKH: Get one of those little handheld clicker counters, like events managers use to count crowds. I think stationery stores carry them. One click per item, doesn’t matter how big or small. I’m planning to count all the bits I declutter off my sideboard this weekend, then I’ll post the embarrassing total here for all to see. There’s something irresistably OCD about the idea. Does that partly answer bandicoot’s Why, at least from my corner?

why? I’m curious! The 2013 in 2013 challenge thread made me wonder how one counts the tiny bits and bobs. My life is full of tiny bits and bobs due to being a miniaturist πŸ™‚

Thankee for the answers!!

bandicoot

sort of πŸ™‚

i guess i am very focused on the end result….a clean sideboard, a painless efficient move-across-country….and i consider counting and categorising stuff that has already been earmarked for removal, to be a bit of a pointless distraction.
    doesn’t all that get in the way of the actual removal of the stuff?
    or is there a sort of soothing ritualistic aspect i am missing completely?

Ella

It’s all about the journey. πŸ˜›

bandicoot

lol @Ella!

LOL Ella!!

I saw that thread and wondered how it’s done. I’ll aim for “I want to move with only two totes of craft supplies” because I reckon I could cheat like crazy on counting outbound stuff considering I have thousands of tiny trinkets.

luxcat

rather than count, maybe just pile it up and take a photo before you get rid of it. tracking the volume rather than each thing. seems simpler. I’m kinda with bandicoot tho, I don’t think I would bother, but each to thier own!

Ella

I stopped in at my local stationer this afternoon to check the price of a clicker counter: $18. Fergeddit!

My favorite Muppets character was The Count, remember him?
    “I luuuuv to count.”

luxcat

Vun! Two! Three! Threeee!!! heheheheheh….

who could forget The Count?

clutterbug22

lkh,

I’m doing the 2013 in 2013 challenge as, with 2 kids and tons of things to be decluttered, I’m sure that I can find that amount of stuff to leave the flat by the end of the year! Believe me, with 2 kids, I do not have time to be obsessional about counting, it’s all a bit of fun for me and interesting to see if I can get rid of that amount. As I am also participating in the ’50 by Friday’ challenge, that makes it easier to count in batches of 50 and then I add that amount to the 2013 thread. I don’t keep a list of categories, I just count the total as I go along. I use a little notebook and note what I’ve got rid of during the week. As for the very small things, I would count them as 1 box/bag of, say, dollshouse furniture, small crafting items etc. As in your original post I would count kitchenware, underwear etc as seperate items. Hope that helps you!

I appear to be counting regardless of saying I wasn’t going to. HA! Maybe it’s part of the process of letting go.

@Clutterbug – yes, I think the small stuff will be by bag/box. My kids live with me but are 18 and 22 so I don’t mess with their stuff.

clutterbug22

lkh,

Yes, I think it’s the interest of finding out how many things you have that can be got rid of plus the wondering what the final total will be when you have finished!

Mimi

counting items seems to be tempting but it does not work for me. i mean, is there one package of paper or 500 sheets of paper? when i posted in ATAD and took it as a challenge sometimes i counted “2 socks” and sometimes “one big bag of clothes”. just like i felt the quantity. somtimes it was so hard to find one single thing and somtimes it was easy to get rid of a carload of things and so i posted them as a… err.. subjective, felt number of things πŸ™‚

what has worked for me: to focus the remaining things. i am quite good in estimating the number or volume of things and as i moved often i used the measurement unit of moving boxes. that made me very confident because i now what i would have to carry if i moved. and it also made me confident to focus the result (the present) and not the past, the trash that has gone.

@Mimi, that sounds like it would work for me. I have a box/furniture inventory of the last two moves and I feel certain that with all the carloads I’ve driven to goodwill/given to friends and my lack of shopping/ebaying/thrifting I should have less this move. MUCH less. I guess a box inventory will be my final measure of how much is gone and how much remains.

Sky

When I first started decluttering I wrote everything down and kept a running total. After a while, I quit because I just wanted the stuff gone and didn’t want to remember any of it.

The number isn’t important to me anymore.

ninakk

Currently, I’m on a counting spree in the digital thread, but otherwise I don’t bother unless it is for the ATAD – and then only for the individual post, not a total count.

hybrik

I count my “out”, just because that’s how my brain work and I like seeing them all lined up. I just use a simple numbered list on Word. But what is a “thing” ? For me, it’s easy. If it’s a “thing”, its value = 1, if not, value =0. A cellphone is a “thing”, but the cellphone charger is not, because its existence is pointless without the phone. BUT, if the charger is one of those nifty USB charger I can use for both my phone AND iPod, then the charger is a thing on it’s own because its existence is not “tied” to another “thing”. Make sense ?

To preserve my sanity, I do not count electronic cables as a “thing”. They are either part of the charger “thing” or the phone “thing”, but in my mind, their value = 0 because they are not a “thing” on their own. A sock (0) is not a thing, but a pair of sock is (0+0=1). Unless you only have one leg.

Of course, I highly doubt that somebody else process stuff in my weird binary way of assigning value to stuff. I also highly doubt that this post will make any sense to anybody else than me.

ninakk

Oh, it does make sense.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.