Home Forums Technology How much time do you spend each day staring at a rectangle of electronic light?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Emilie 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Ella

Weird, I was just thinking about this question this morning, and then a post about it popped up on Zen Habits.

Screen time, I mean. Computer, phone, TV, ipad, kindle, etc. What’s your best guess of how many hours you spend each day looking at some sort of screen or another?

I know precisely how much time I’m on my computer every week because I get a Rescue Time report every Sunday. Last week I spent 35 hours 32 minutes on the computer. The only other screen I stare at is my TV for watching DVDs. I didn’t keep track, but glancing now at the stack of DVDs to return to the library, I’d estimate 12 hours of movie watching last week. So my total screen time last week was about 47 and a half hours, or close to 7 hours per day. Ouch.

I would like to reduce that number by decluttering some of the online reading I squander my time on. I’m going to give Leo’s method a try.

http://zenhabits.net/offline/

Astreja
    Participant

How much time do you spend each day staring at a rectangle of electronic light?

About 6½ hours of my workday are screen time, but I’ll round that up to 7 because I also use the computer on my breaks.

At home, I’m almost always on the computer between 10:30 p.m. and midnight. If I get involved in an online discussion (or more commonly several discussions at once), it can go on past 1:00 a.m. However, it’s not strictly screen time. I might also be flipping through some sheet music and/or rehearsing a clarinet part, wandering the room in search of something to unclutter, or negotiating with cats to regain custody of my desk.

Screen time on my E-book reader is fairly minimal, usually 10-15 minutes while waiting at the bus stop and riding the bus home.

As for TV, I’m more the “wander into the room and watch 5 minutes of whatever someone else is watching, then head on my merry way” type.

Zora

Um, about 8 or 9 🙂 Reading email, news, blogs, proofing at Distributed Proofreaders, reading on the iPod. I read. That’s my THANG.

pkilmain

Even though it seems like a lot, the time I spend in front of a screen is now much less than when I was working. In fact, then I had two screens going on my desk! Nowadays, I try to keep it under 5, but I don’t always make it. I do usually read physical books while at home, so that helps.

bandicoot

i have a ridiculous amount of free time.
    and i spend it reading. on a screen! books. articles. blogs. emails.
    pluuuuus i probably watch a movie or tv for an average five hours a week.

chacha1

I’m at my job from 8:45 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and nearly every minute of that time, except about a half-hour at lunch, is spent staring at the screen.

I then go home and have the TV on for a couple of hours most nights. Sometimes I’m on my laptop or Kindle while the TV’s on.

So … ten hours on the average workday. Weekends are extremely variable, but averaged over time I’d guess at least four hours daily.

Christina

At least 10 hours a day. If it’s not the computer, it’s my phone or tablet or the television. It’s a bit alarming how I spend more time on a computer than not when I am actually happier when I am disconnected. I definitely need to cut back.

Emilie

For me it varies a lot, since I don’t use the computer at all for my job (I know that’s rare). So if I’m working, maybe 3 hours. But sometimes that’s too much, since I tend to strain my eyes really easily. I really don’t know how much time I spend with screens when I’m not working, so I think I’ll keep track of my time today! I tend to do a similar thing as Leo, in using timers and trying to take frequent breaks, although I got the idea from resources for people with ADD. I don’t have ADD, but like most people that do, I tend to hyperfocus on certain things–for me, once I start reading stuff online, I have a hard time stopping.

Maybe I’ll come back and post my hour count later today (I go off all screens at 10:30 PM, which has helped me in terms of falling asleep more easily).

Ella

The latest New Yorker cover 😀

sleepykitten

At least 10 hours a day for me. My work requires a lot of computer time, so that’s at least 8 hours a day right off the bat. When I relax in the evenings, I tend to do so on the internet or by watching TV. But I NEVER behave like the family on the New Yorker cover! When I am out with family or friends or on vacation, no screens!

It is an interesting question/thing to consider. But I don’t feel a need to change my behavior. What is more important to me is balancing “passive” screen time with “active/creative” screen time. I should probably do less web surfing and more writing/blogging for example. They both would involve a computer, but they are very different activities.

Emilie

Hmm…about 4 hours today.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.