Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets How do you organize your jewelry?

This topic contains 40 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  pkilmain 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

PKitty

I really prefer to re-use things i.e. vintage bowls, etc. but my jewelry collection is a bit of a mess. I have a cut glass ashtray (very small) in the bathroom with my most often worn earrings and necklaces in it, a larger cut glass bowl in my little dressing room with more necklaces, and then a small (like six by six by six) cube of drawers with pins, other earrings, necklaces and bracelets. It’s not horrible, but it is not great either.

What do you do??

Lehcarjt

How do you organize your jewelry?

Bead organizing kits. I think I bought them at Target and I use three smaller ones rather than something large:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JPKW66/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0017QDKGC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SGV4P1DMSG9FS9A6HV7

Lehcarjt

Sorry about the long link. I hit send and then realized how long it was. If it doesn’t work, go to Amazon and search ‘bead organizer.’

jspeck08

I use this jewelry tree:

http://www.lovejewelrydisplays.com/jewelry-display-W2a.html

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

I bought it on Ebay for around $40 so it’s a little pricy, but so worth it!

I do have a separate expandable coat rack for my longer necklaces and more bracelets:

http://www.kindminds.com/images/K326/K326-27-0.jpg

PKitty

Thanks you guys! I also love that jewelry tree. I like the bead organizing kit – it appeals to the super-organizer in me but I want to display the jewelry too so it is perhaps too practical. I did have a mug tree that I used for a while but I think I rummage-saled it.

badkitti

I don’t want to display mine but just want it sorted so I was thinking about sticking some hooks (I have some with a sticky pad) inside a wardrobe door. Unfortunately the wardrobes belong to the landlord so I will oprob try and mount them on a large piece of card and hang that inside a wardrobe door.

HappyDogs

I used to have an earring tree but it was too hard to keep up, so I gave up. Then, because I am cheap, I had about 4 teensy little secondhand boxes. This was also too hard to keep up over the long term. I am thinking I’m a bit older than many of you, so let me say by “long term” I mean 30 years.

About 10 years ago, I got a largish jewelry box at Costco and consolidated everything. I will say that jewelry is not something you should unclutter. It’s small, so weeding out the collection won’t gain you that much. And, it will be back in style. (in the 80s I threw away all my mom’s rhinestone pins…and today I put my cute Bluebird girl pin on my jacket — keep that stuff unless it’s truly junk or is broken!). Having it all in one spot helps me avoid duplication.

Yes, the box is a bit of a jumble, but it’s one small jumble, I can close the lid, and it’s in my bedroom so guests will never see it.

So, despite my very real OCD organizational tendencies, this is one jumble that’s okay with me the way it is.

bandicoot

i really don’t have enough jewellery to organise.
    i keep it in a single elfa drawer in my wardrobe….it’s a grid thing so everything is separate and visible.

i have found that by having it all separate and visible, i wear it all more often….because it’s no big drama to just pick out some earrings when my clothes are all right there too.

morfydd

Badkitti, you can use hooks with adhesive that can be pulled off the surface when you leave. 3M “Command” is a common brand name in the US, and there’s another one very common in Europe whose name I’m spacing on right now.

My necklaces and bracelets are on just such hooks on the inside of IKEA’s shoe-wardrobe/full-length-mirror. Brooches are pinned to a ribbon on another hook in the same location. Earrings are in a little box with holes for the studs, that sits on the floor of the shoe-wardrobe.

BarbaraTako

I buy the inexpensive semi-clear plastic compartmentalized tackle boxes. They come in different lengths and widths, but they are usualy 1/2″ to 1″ deep. They work great for chains and earrings. The compartments help everything to stay sorted and it is easy to find what I am looking for.

badkitti

Morfydd, Those are the sticky hooks I have! Marvellous – they shall go up in the new place – the small bedroom has a mirror and sink foir make up so I shall probably keep them there.

charmed2482

I had to unclutter my jewelery a while back before i moved b/c i had accumulated so much from places like goodwill and salvation army, i used to buy anything that looked cool or looked like it could be made into something else b/c my mom likes to make bead stuff. I had a small jewelery armoire that i bought for like 100$ a big lots and i had it stuff full of stuff i never wore. so i got rid of most of it, and only kept a few of the thrift store finds that i thought looked really cool that were made of glass beads. gave the bulk of it to my mom. now i have a small jewelry box i had got from my grandmother before she died and a small glass dish with a lid that was a Christmas gift from a friend and everything fits in those.

vjb

Really interesting seeing everyone’s responses to this. I used a clear acrylic jewellery hanger for a while, but I got tired of dusting it, having things fall off it when I bumped it, and having a bowl with a jumble of stud earrings and brooches that wouldn’t go in it… And then I accidentally knocked it off the table it was on and it broke. Hooray! So I ditched it, and at the same time got rid of most of the jewellery I don’t currently wear. Funnily enough, now that I’ve uncluttered, I wear the pieces that are left a lot more and enjoy them immensely – something I didn’t expect!

I think I’ve decided to get a proper jewellery box with dividers, something lined that won’t scratch pearls and silver. That’s what I’m worried about with those plastic bead boxes. I do LOVE the idea of Bandicoot’s Elfa drawer though! One day, when I have the wardrobe of my dreams…

angelicious

I have an “official” jewelry box on my dresser, a little tall and very elegant, with tiny drawers and fold-out doors. Except… it’s mostly filled with unused jewelry, safe keys and the foreign coins I collect. I wear one necklace almost all of the time (had to swap it out for the rather gaudy but still sweet necklace my boys bought me for V Day; it’s now serving as a sun-catcher in the bathroom!) and about five pairs of ‘hook-style’ earrings.

Since necklace + earrings are the only jewelry I wear, I hang the hook earrings on the lip of glass cup in my windowsill that holds pens & nail clippers. Poor lonely jewelry box…

bluebyyou

Another way you could organize jewelry is to hang up a pretty French bulletin board, stick tacks in it, and hang necklaces and bracelets from them. Here’s a picture:

http://www.redbookmag.com/recipes-home/tips-advice/clutter-tips?click=main_sr

SarahJ

Well, I don’t have a lot of jewelry, but I do wear it more often when it’s out where I can see it. I covered a cork bulletin board in some fabric, and use straight pins to hang up my necklaces. it’s hung on the wall by my dresser. I also have the EVA foam trays for earrings, etc.

akcorcoran

@jspeck08, I love both of your solutions!

I actually have the big giant jewelry box from Pottery Barn. I mean the supremo, monster, super expensive – was an incredibly thoughtful gift from my husband.
    http://bit.ly/93lj35
    But, it’s actually not that well organized for me. First, I have a lot of long earrings and they just end up dumped in the middle sections that are open flat sections. All a jumble. I have like two rings and it has this super long sections for rings (or small earings) to poke into. Then you have to LIFT that top section, to get to the next necklace area. And, the tray that comes out at the bottom for necklaces has to lay horizontally which doesn’t work well. Sigh, it was this incredibly thoughtful and amazing item to receive, but it’s just not working that well.

I like your solutions @jspeck08, especially the rack for necklaces b/c I have a lot that are multi-tiered as are in style these days. Or I mix several when I wear them. They aren’t “precious stones” or crazy expensive jewelry but they will get mangled if I leave them horizontally lying around. Right now, I’ve taken to putting them over our sconces on the wall and even around my lamp – clearly NOT a good solution! ๐Ÿ™‚

One thing I’ll add – and this is not a long-term, nor as high-class solution, but is adorable. I have little ones and my youngest decorated an egg crate and gave it to me. It actually works really well for casual necklaces, each goes in the little egg space. So sweet – and sentimental. Eventually, I’ll phase it out but it’s a cute idea and probably works better than my super expensive jewelry box!

One question for y’all – do you ever get nervous that all your jewelry is out and visible, from a “theft” perspective. Not that I’ve ever been broken into but you see all the shows. I kind of think, eh, they’d find it anyway, but I just wondered what you thought.

akcorcoran

@Patti D. – that link is not found, is there another one? Oh, it might be the parens at the end?

Just saw this one on eBay – it’s a doozy but sure would hold a lot! I have more wall space than dresser space.
    http://bit.ly/aFLNbR

Kind of like this one – it’s not as big and looks like it would hold a lot. Reasonable price too (four different stains avail: white, natural, mahogany, black)
    http://bit.ly/by1QSY

OH – one more thing! I gave my sister a mesh jewelry organizer (really best for earrings) but don’t have one myself and it is great, esp for dangling earrings. I just saw this while searching and it’s a cute idea, especially for do it yourselfers out there: take a picture frame and replace center with mesh.
    http://bit.ly/aGfqVP

Very cute and would match your taste and decor then. I might do it!

adorita
    Participant

I use a hanging organizer. http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/product/prezerve+hanging+door+organizer+mirror+503632.do?search=basic&page=1&N=0&Ntt=jewelry%20organizer&Ns=P_DATE_CREATED

And I also hang those that I use often on the closet wall. It was featured on Ikea Hacker. http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2009/04/its-girl-thing.html

Adrienne

I use Jewelry Stax, too, which someone mentioned before.

http://neatnix.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=503

chacha1

Daily wear: wedding ring and one of two Daniel Steiger watches. These live on my bathroom vanity.

Occasional wear: some necklaces I’ve made, and other watches. These live in a small three-drawer acrylic cube in the vanity cabinet or hanging from a wall-mounted shelf above the vanity, but I’m finding the latter a bit cluttery so I think they will all be in the cube soon.

Special-occasion wear: a few pieces of good stuff, in jewelers’ cases, in the glass-fronted bookcases in my bedroom. A few other pieces inherited from my grandma are in their jewelers’ boxes in a storage chest.

Stuff for recycling: masses of rhinestone jewelry (I went through a phase) in several locations. Hoping to dispose of all this by the end of the year!

Hair ornaments: barrettes, clips, etc are in a lidded basket and a lidded carved-lacquer candy dish in the bathroom.

Good gracious, I have more of this stuff than I realized.

I hate having dusty stuff so most everything has a lid or is in a drawer or is behind glass. I recommend searching out lidded candy dishes or carved boxes. They are great for pocket change, rings, etc. and will often fit on a narrow shelf you can put up almost anywhere.

djk

I have two medium-sized cork-boards in my closet with rows of tidy pins where everything that tangles hangs courteously and neatly at its own spot, in colour/style categories where I can quickly choose earrings which correspond to bracelets and necklaces etc. Big chunky fun fashion rings live here too.

I have two small-ish lidded boxes where I cut egg cartons to fit tightly inside. One box has the “real” rings in it, the other small earrings. Fishhook styles can be poked into the high parts of the carton and dangle down into the cavities, where the studs/pearls/small earrings live. It is incredibly efficient. I don’t have a lot of wardrobe variety (not such a morning person, can’t deal with early decisions)so I try for a lot of variety with jewelry and scarves; this system has slowly evolved and I love it. Next step is to actually make the boards pretty and feminine by covering them with fabric first.

Love the ideas on this site…gets the creative juices flowing

maco

The jewelry that I still haven’t removed from the original boxes despite having been received as gifts 2 or 3 years ago is in my top drawer. The rest is in a small food storage container in the same drawer.

The jewelry I actually wear neither has nor needs a storage spot. Removing the earrings would mean having to re-gauge them, and putting in CBRs is a pain in the butt for anyone but a professional piercer. My ring comes off only when I shower, if I even remember to take it off.

jbeany

I repurposed a wooden silverware box into a wall mounted jewelry box years ago and I’m still using. I added 3 rows of hanging pegs, two across what was originally the deep bottom of the box and one across the side of the top. I’ve mounted it vertically on the wall so it swings open like a cupboard door. I used to have my earrings and rings in little glass spice bottles in a wooden spice rack, but I’ve acquired too many earrings over the last 2 decades for this to work well anymore. I received a metal board and 6 separated magnetic tin canisters for my birthday. It was meant to hold beads and buttons in a craft area, but I’m mounting it on the wall next to the necklace box and putting a pair or two of earrings into each divider. The lids are clear, and I divided the earrings into categories, so it should be really easy to find what I want.

pkilmain

At least 10 years ago I found an small oak chest at Costco. It was meant for a woodworker’s shop and was in the hardware dept. It has 8 small drawers, and each is divided into 4 sections. [This btw is small enough to sit on a small table I use as a sort of dressing table] I sort my earrings into seasonal, then all the “funky” ones, and then the silver and gold which are further sorted by size. I also have a fair number of pins [which I seem to get as gifts like Anita does neclaces.] I hav a few necklaces and can put those 2 or 3 to a section, becing careful not to mix ones that will tangle together. I decluttered this chest this summer, and I can find everything easily now.

tmichelle

PattyD posted a link that wasn’t working at the time but now has about the best jewelry organizer I’ve seen. http://www.shopgetorganized.com/item/overdoor_jewelry_organizer/30058 Currently I have a wooden chest organizer from JC Penney that looks similar to this one http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0e29c4a&Nao=0&SearchRedirect=True&Ne=840+4+877+878+5+961+6+29+3+598+11+15+12+506+10+23+585+596+1031+8+18+904+903+969+949+833&Ntt=jewelry+boxes&SearchString=jewelry+boxes&N=4294959029+4294965155&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults but, my necklaces get tangled up in the side compartments. I really would love to try that first link I posted.

pkilmain

Oh, your chest is lovely, but I see how the neclaces could get tangled. You could so somthing similar to the over the door one by using those removable hooks (3M Command strips) and running some cord between them.

khagee

I keep the two rings I wear everyday and my watch on a heart-shaped china ring stand, a gift many years ago. The earrings I wear most are in a pink heart-shaped leather box with a flip-open attached lid, also a gift. The sturdy necklaces I favor are in a repurposed wooden box, which I lined with quilted fabric. Then I used plastic cross-stitch canvas to divide areas of storage. This system works very well for me.

vjb

Since my last post on this thread I’ve put all my jewellery into a plastic tackle box too. I like the clear lid and the fact that it holds *everything*… still, it’s not the prettiest object. I’m dreaming of having a similar type of box custom-made from a nice timber, with a glass lid. I’ve even found a woodworker who does such things. Now I just have to *ulp* email him and find out how much it would cost me. And count my pennies.

emmylemmy

I just bought an Umbra jewelry tree that I LOVE, plus a fabric jewelry roll for traveling. Jewelry boxes drive me CRAZY because they keep everything hidden so I never end up wearing it, and they’re useless for packing in a suitcase since they’re meant for display. The tree + roll is a perfect solution for me, although my collection is rather minimal so I don’t have major clutter/organization problems, just basic storage.

Kahuhipa

I design custom closets for a living and this is a common question I get. Here are some pictures of a few examples of jewelry organizers.
    http://www.organizedhawaii.com/uploads/images/WqGallery/closet/313.jpg
    http://www.organizedhawaii.com/uploads/images/WqGallery/closet/307.jpg
    http://www.organizedhawaii.com/uploads/images/WqGallery/closet/77.jpg
    http://www.organizedhawaii.com/uploads/images/WqGallery/closet/143.jpg

And here’s a direct link to our closet section on our site for more organization ideas for the closet…
    http://www.organizedhawaii.com/micro/org-products/m-closet/

pkilmain

^^^spam^^^

I purged my jewelry last year and sold the two jewelry boxes. The remains are in a tin box in my nightstand.

My daughter accumulates jewelry. I bought her a jewelry armoire with hooks for necklaces, slots for rings, divided drawers for earrings.

Two solutions for two people with different tastes in jewelry ๐Ÿ™‚

TatiLie

I wear them. Earrings, wedding band and a black titanium navel piercing.
    I’m nickel allergic so I have reduced my jewellery to a few pieces that I got rhodium plated (even 18ct gold has tiny amounts of nickel and I grew intolerant to even those amounts). The rest I owed is in a tiny box somewhere waiting to be decluttered.

Swede

I decluttered most of my jewellery so all my rings and other stuffs fit in a very small and very pretty box. Most of necklaces all hang off one hook in my closet and I have an earring tree which holds all my earrings (10 pairs). It works really well for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

lucy1965

A small stained-glass box (gift from a friend in England) holds everything but a bracelet; the bracelet is a Pacific NW Indian art piece and lives in a cloth bag when I’m not wearing it.

Ryvyan

I have thrown away lots of costume jewellery but have not gone around to organising them in the best way possible (delay until I redecorate my room). Right now they are just chucked in a drawer in different small containers by type (i.e. necklaces, rings, bracelets).

My ideal set-up would hanging my necklaces on S-shaped hooks on a rod (drilled into wall or side of wardrobe). The S-shaped hooks would have to be tightened around the rod, so that they won’t fall off whenever I need to retrieve a necklace. I’m planning to get one of the small shelves/containers from the kitchen section in Ikea that hook onto said rod for my rings and bracelets. I don’t wear earrings anymore, but they would be organised in the same way if ever they make a return.

pkilmain

A number of years ago I bought a lovely, solid oak, small cabinet from Costco. It was in the tools, and was probably intended for woodworkers/carvers, stands about 12-14 inches, and has 8 drawers (4 high, 2 wide) each of which is divided into quarters. It is nice to look at, and ideal for keeping jewelry sorted. I can keep earrings by metal, by wires vs. studs, seasonal, etc. Same with pins, bracelets and necklaces. It sits on my “dressing table” (actually an antiques small dining table with fold down leaves) and holds a coupld of photographs on the top. I love it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.