Home Forums Technology How do YOU make sure social media sucks up all your attention bandwidth?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Robin 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Robin

Hi!

My interest is both professional and personal. Professionally, I’m a community manager for a startup in SF called Ming.ly. It’s a new service (in beta!) that gives users a better way to connect with contacts and conversations across social networks, without leaving the inbox.

The point of the application is that people are busy but you have to stay on top of your personal and professional relationships. We created Ming.ly so you can stay in touch without being stuck in the quagmire of endless social media updates.

Personally, I feel sometimes like social media channels use me, not the other way around! It can be exhausting but it can also be thrilling. I think I use it to procrastinate, to be honest.

What are the pitfalls you experience in having to stay across your social networks? What are you using to get around the noise? How do you know when you’ve struck a balance?

Many thanks,

Robin Ahn
    Mingly Community Manager

mili

How do YOU make sure social media sucks up all your attention bandwidth?

possibly others will weigh in, but in the meantime, you might want to check out the following threads where there’s been extensive, even exhaustive, discussion:

https://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/media-fast-anyone
    https://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/uncluttering-your-mind

the following thread discusses some of these issues too, but in a more peripheral way – check it out if you need more:
    https://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/uncluttering-bad-habits

Overall, the whole ‘my online life is overwhelming me’ issue seems to be a big deal on this forum right now, so there should be plenty of replies.

Astreja
    Participant

In my opinion, the only way to win with social networks is not to play.

– I decluttered my Facebook account a year and a half ago, and haven’t updated my information on the 1 or 2 other networking sites I joined.

– Walked away from at least half a dozen forums where I used to post daily. There are 5 forums and 4 other sites currently in my “most-used” bookmarks, but only 3 forums (including Unclutterer) where I still post on a regular basis.

– And, outside work, I only check e-mail once a day or less.

I don’t think filtering one’s sites through another site really solves anything. It’s like going out to the store and buying a dozen fancy storage boxes to line up on the shelf, rather than questioning the utility of the stuff in the boxes.

bandicoot

what astreja said!
    i chose not to play anymore, and neither my business nor my personal life fell apart as a result.

pkilmain

I spend about 20 minutes with a SAD light in the morning. This is the perfect time to carch up on the several blogs and forums I enjoy. I do hace a facebook account, and I check to see what my small circle of family and friends is up to. Since I do all this on my ipad, no long ranting posts as the tuping is much slower. :). I use my computer for other reasons throughout the day, and i may check forums then, but not always and not as a regular thing.

Ella

I had the impression that the original post was advertising spam. Evidently some other member thought so, too, and tagged it as such.

BreakingFree

That was me Ella. It was a first post and mentioned a new service she’s starting up, plus nobody else had responded at that time, so I figured it was spam and marked it as such. Looks like I can remove the tag I added if the consensus is that it is legit…?

Ella

BreakingFree ~ Often a spammer will post only once. Or, in the case of another newbie today, he or she will dredge up old posts in order to repeatedly plant a URL.

pkilmain

Ans actually we’ve all spoken about the ways that social media is not sucking up our time, which may have been the op’s intended title, but the essential word NOT isn’t there.

bandicoot

this site is a spam magnet!

Anonymous

I thought it was spam as well. The odd wording in the title was what struck me.

Robin

Hey everyone, sorry about the confusion about my post! I’m definitely not a spammer and didn’t mean to come off that way. I’m actually a pretty regular reader of Unclutterer, so wanted to explain about the start-up I’m working with for full disclosure, before picking your brains about your social media habits. 🙂 Realizing now the tone of my post didn’t quite translate!

davidkrug

I always attempt to monitor my time using RescueTime to track how much time I spend where online. It’s become much more intentional in how I spend my time online. And I notice a healthier relationship with the internet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.