Home Forums Technology DVDs, CDs, Home Movies How Do You Feel About Media? (Cd’s DVD’s etc..)

This topic contains 38 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Joless 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Xiro

These things can be found for so cheap (like $1.50) these days they can really start to add up quickly. Of course people do have book collection that number in the hundreds that would take far longer to read again then watch a movie collection of the same numbers. So no one is worse then another as that is personal choice. I have noticed around the net there some would likely be harder on a movie collection then a book collection.

Part of the issue about some collection like blu-rays, DVD’s etc.. is that is never ends, there are always new movies being released each year and a rather fast rate, so it would always be getting bigger year after year. I have a few hundred and even that is a little much, of course they are stored in a space saving manner, keepcases take up a bit too much room.

What do you personally feel is a good amount of media or would you just say it depends. Some people have huge collections and they love it, I had an issue feeling like I was suppose to be using it all the time, not sure why, it should just be there if and when I want to use it. Trying to get away from buying things that add up too fast. One or two a year is one thing, getting to where it could be over a dozen may be too many.

Speaking for myself I really think I do not need a thousand movies and 101782 songs on my computer. (I have about a thousand) And I have heard stories about those who download whatever they want from the internet (not legally) to an extent it would take decades to listen, read and watch everything they downloaded. Digital hoarding of some kind, I also heard he stopped because it become insane, so focused on getting more to even use what he already had.

Streamlining everything myself, favorites and a main focus on art (that is a collection that is as complete as you want it to be, which makes it really nice, you never feel the need that more is coming out because what I buy does not work that way)

Jackthetiger

How Do You Feel About Media? (Cd's DVD's etc..)

Xiro, It is a very difficult one. I was hoping to convert all of my DVDs and CDs into a digital format, but I was discussing the quality issue today. It seems like purchasing things on iTunes is not always a good idea and I love to hear my favourite classical works with the best quality sound possible.

But to come back to your original comment. I think you are right that it can be tempting to own too many songs, dvds and books and that we might never reach the end of them. It is one of the consequences of all the choice and opportunities we have these days. I think that streaming is the way to go with films and music, and like everything else, collect only in moderation!

Xiro

For those who do not care too much about having collections or owning what they are watching the library, redbox, streaming is great, I have used netflix for some shows I had never seen yet have no need to own, same with the library.

I am very against buying films on iTunes, the cost is far too high for the quality you get, I can purchase blu-rays for half the cost as their compressed digital edition. Pricing needs a lot of work, plus you cannot lend, trade, sell, give away etc.. I like more control then that if I am to own it.

You can convert them without any loss in quality and I have done so when I had a HTPC. One way I went around the space issue was to get cases from Meritline that holds a several hundred discs, then I put the cover art in binders, saved a ton of space.

A lot of issues with stream for some is, will they have what I want among others, yet I imagine some people do not care, if it is there good, if not they will figure something out. I have also noticed the more you watch something the more pointless it can start to feel unless you LOVE that film. You toss it on and then think, I know all of this already, for a couple years I am really enjoying watching what I have not seen. Along with a few favorites.

Or I thought, with a job, things to do in life, new movies and shows to watch, internet etc.. maybe that movie I have seen better be well loved otherwise there is little point.

Another side is, well, they are not worth anything and take up little space so why not hang on to them just in case? Valid enough, just depends on the person. I overthink it and start thinking, well, I have that yet not this other film that is at least as good. When it gets to this point it is time for me to slim down. Having some true favorites and in a way that there will not be many to add each year.

Astreja
    Participant

My media collection has shrunk over the years. When I was a teenager I had 400 record albums; now I have perhaps 50 CDs, and haven’t bought one for months.

Likewise on the movie/TV front, I have a relatively small collection and rarely buy new items. There are perhaps a dozen movies that I consider must-have items, things that I will watch again. Over the last year I’ve actually been sitting down and watching the other DVDs and tapes, then immediately throwing almost all of them into the giveaway box.

Ain’t no one gettin’ my copies of Casablanca, Ghostbusters, Help! or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, though. (Or my CDs of L.A. Woman, Can’t Buy a Thrill or Who’s Next, either.) πŸ˜€

ninakk

I’ve always had a greater thing for books, but still have managed to build a collection of movies and tv series on dvd/bluray that is bigger than those of some people I know. Before the flea market this summer I’ll go through them once more, since there are a couple of things I’d like to add – but won’t expand past the four Ikea Kassett dvd boxes I store them within.

I don’t re-read or re-view often, but the ones that are keepers get watched when I feel like it, even if it means once in two or three years. Most of them require for me to be in a certain mood, so I don’t want to force any synthetic number/rule such as “If I don’t watch these at least once a year, they’re out”. I’d rather get rid of some craft supplies or knickknacks or clothing even if real estate is that scarce in my home. The only numbers now are the borders of my bookshelf as well as the four dvd boxes.

chacha1

We have over 400 movies and probably twice that many music CDs. And close to three times that many books. πŸ™‚

I now consider we have “too many” movies but only because most of them are readily accessible to stream for free or for a couple of bucks via Amazon Prime (we’ve been members for years to save shipping charges). We couldn’t have anticipated that at the time we were building our collection, though. Recently, I have bought very few DVDs and am gradually whittling away at the stash.

I used to think of the movie library as a sort of entertainment savings account for future years when we might not want to spend what we spend for satellite TV. My goal is to get the entire collection down to 400 or fewer discs and keep it there, because they can simply be stored in our DVD jukebox. 400 is plenty.

Also recently got rid of several old VHS tapes … the movies weren’t released to DVD until very recently, and now I find that they’re released for streaming as well. So, no need to keep those old things.

As to music, I am a copyright queen. I’ll happily digitize the tracks I want (was doing a laborious process on my PC, have since caved into the iPod, but still only buy tracks from Amazon) because we use the iPod for travel, training, home entertainment, teaching, etc. I can’t legally use copies of those tracks unless I keep the CDs. So I am now in the process of moving the CDS, yet again, out of one fairly space-efficient solution into an even more space-efficient solution.

Xiro

@chacha1

I have the same issue with CDs, not that I have a ton, I copied them over to the computer is a lossless format yet I am trying to be official thus cannot sell, trade or give away the CDs, I found a space saving method for them so they do not take up much room, a little annoying having to hang onto that cd with one song you like that was found for a dollar, yet by trying to stay official with everything you kind of have to. Same goes for movies.

ceduke

I own about a dozen DVDs (My favorites, things that get watched over and over) and I have a few CDs in my car. I’m trying to phase physical copies out, and I’m slowly getting there.

Ella

I’m a retired book designer and editor, so my book collection means a lot to me. I have hundreds of books I’ve worked on, about subjects I love, plus many rare editions. I love my handsome bookcases, and I’m one who believes that books do furnish a room.

I haven’t bought a new book in ages, though. My library purchases every book I request, and it’s a treat to get their email notices that the books have arrived. I’m the first person to read the crisp new copy. Love that!

When I switched from videos to DVDs, I bought a half-dozen movies that get repeat viewings often. For a year, I also had a Netflix subscription. But I realized it was a ridiculous way to throw my money away, after I discovered the vast treasure trove of DVDs at my library. Again, the library purchases everything I request, and their checkout policy is amazingly generous. At this moment I have 16 library DVDs awaiting viewing, and it feels great to luxuriate in that selection free of charge. Never could have afforded that with Netflix.

To my ears, the audio quality of iTunes is abysmal compared to my jazz and classical CDs and even some of my vinyl. However, I have designated a finite amount of space for CDs and LPs, so any new acquisitions (rarely happens) follow the One-In-One-Out rule.

Xiro

I know the old iTunes was 128k while the newer ones are 256k, 128k is horrible because a lossless rip is about 1000k. They say once you hit 320k you will not notice a huge difference with standard sound systems most use (ipods etc..)

The library is quite handy, seen a few series that way, three weeks for each season a lot of the newer stuff how a million holds while the older stuff can be rather easy to get. Like if I wanted to watch Doctor Who again, seasons are forty plus, maybe it is better if I just check it out if and when I felt like watching it again. The less spent on stuff the better. (wanted stuff, not needed)

I am to the point that I was ready to really scale down the amount we have. My dad just built a 6ft media storage unit that holds more than 1000 items. I need to stain it and round up everything that we have and just have everyone in the house be able to “see” what has accumulated over the years. Sons and husband has purchase these so they need to go thru and hopefully let some of them go.

bloom

With Netflix and Amazon VOD, I rarely buy DVDs or Blu-Rays these days. I reserve my purchases for movies I really, really like and for two particular HBO TV series I love since HBO is terrible about making them available for rent.

I do have some old pre-Netflix days stacks of DVDs I rarely watch, not more than 100 at most. I keep them in lidded boxes in my big IKEA bookshelf. I’m thinking about ripping them all to my big 2 TB hard drive and serving them up over the network.

Astreja
    Participant

@Xiro: To the best of my knowledge CDs are sampled at 320k/second, so if you’re ripping a CD there may not be much point in using a higher sample rate.

However, if you’re digitizing an analog source like old vinyl, I can definitely see a role for 1000k because it’ll make a truer and better-sounding approximation of the original sound wave. File size, however, will be much bigger.

For me, the minimum digital quality I can stand is 192k. Anything less and it sounds fuzzy. There’s a good reason for that, by the way: The lower the bit rate, the closer you get to a square-topped sound wave… Which is also what you get if you push the volume on a sound system too high.

Northshore
    Participant

I have hundreds of CD’s, filed alphabetically, still in the jewel cases and I’m fine with that. I can find what I want and it’s easy to file a new item. I rarely discard anything unless I really don’t like the interpretation but I don’t buy many new ones either. Oh yeah, these are all classical music, mostly collected by DH but also loved by me. I sometimes think I will burn CDs from some of the vinyl collection that I saved but I haven’t gotten around to that project yet. Someday, I may get an ipod but right now, it’s just easier to pull a CD from the shelf and put it in the CD player. And I like the way the music sounds on the big old speakers.
    Movies–I borrow them from the library or friends. I own nine, mostly gifts which will find their way to the church book sale.

Xiro

I also have around 1500 records by default, they are not currently in my home, I tend to sell them off, I imagine there may be tons of great music in there, that is just a lot of records, cool yet TOO many.

There are a lot of movies I want to hang on to, just going to do a bit selling and limit the shows I own. If I have one small area for these movies to be there if and when I want them overthinking it may be just that, giving something too much thought that is not required. I think a lot has to do with what I talked about above, always wanting to keep up with all new films, why this and not that, it would never feel complete etc… then again that can also be over thinking, get what you can if and when you can.

If I have to hold out for a few years then so be it, wait until I can find them cheap at a pawn shop. πŸ™‚

djk

I’ve got about 10 DVDs, all gifts, and maybe 70 CDs, including DH’s. I listen to music at Christmas and that’s about it! We do go to jazz clubs, movies, and DH’s church has a professional choir&orchestra which performs the mass about once a month, so we get our Bach, Mozart, Handel and Beethoven fixes live, in a church they easily might have performed in themselves. Mozart used to play in a cafe around the corner from the church so it’s well possible!

We just don’t spend much time at home listening/viewing. I’m always plugged in when I’m walking or commuting or home alone cleaning, but I’m multitasking with podcasts to improve my German, or productivity, or ideas for work. I need to use that time to learn.

When I get home it doesn’t occur to me to pull out the little mini DVD player, plug it in, and sit in front of it. Seems like it simply sucks up too much time–I have maybe 4 hours before bed most weekdays and to spend 2 of them sitting watching a movie makes me antsy because of all the other things that need to be done. It’s funny, but on weekends I usually spend about 3 hours catching up on Facebook, google reader, and Pinterest. My phone is my primary tool for visiting websites (like this:) from bed with the cuppa joe, or on my commute, but I simply don’t think about wanting to own CDs and DVDs. When would we have time to read then?

For me this type of media would be clutter, but for many it brings pleasure and joy, so why not?

I don’t have that many CDs. What we do have is mostly kept in the car for long car rides.

DVDs are my weakness though. Don’t have that much access to Itunes or streaming (legally :-D) (I’m in Australia) so DVDs are it. I don’t download illegally, too scared of getting sprung, and besides, my conscience won’t allow it :-D.

I do have a TON of movies downloaded onto my computer though, that I want to transfer to portable hard drive. (or DVDs!). I’ve had a bad luck with a portable hard drive crashing before and losing everything, so I want to do a double back up.

To date I own 1 blu ray disc.

Wasn’t sure what the permanent solution is, because CDs,DVDs and Blu Ray discs will probably go the way of the VHS and Beta tape and we won’t be able to play them.

Xiro

DJK –

That is another issue I was thinking about, once my life gets even more busy (kind of is now) with work, social, errands, taking care of things, checking things for the first time like sites, internet stuff, PLUS watching any new shows and movies you have not seen. Saying all that a movie would have to rank HIGH on my list for reviews, otherwise I am just going to think, why am I watching something I have seen a few times with the few hours I do have?

Plus people tend to have more then one hobby, it may end up being one of those things I did when it fit myself and right now I may be moving away from that system.

I do wonder how people with four thousand movies (yes really) and a family have any time to watch new stuff plus all the stuff they own already.

I have watched two films from my collection in the last five months, everything else is new that I rented, streamed, just other things to do right now.

Teddy – I think we will be able to play them for a LONG time to come, I know the market is trying to move to a digital system which I am not happy with based on quality and price.

lucy1965

DH and I just bought a PS3 and have been cleaning out the family room, where the media stuff lives.

Oh good grief.

We have pulled out three game systems (DS’s PS3 was visiting while settings were moved over to the new device) and are about to remove the last dedicated DVD player: it’s a multiregion player with a PAL/NTSC converter, but I only wound up buying a handful of discs and have ripped them all to the home media server. There is still a VCR player in the basement.

DH and I are looking at each other in amazement and a little embarrassment.

pkilmain

Oh don’t Lucy! We still have a DVD/VHS player and a 13″ TV with a built-in VHS. The thrift stores here won’t take TVs, and I’ve had no luck selling or freecycling it.

NYCPakRat

Xiro: what kind of cases do you have for your CDs? I have about 200 left and will probably keep most of them. Getting rid of the cases will save so much space!

smallLife

I don’t have much in the way of media. I own about half a dozen DVDs (only want like four more, but not exactly high up on the priority list): between them I can cover any sort of movie “craving” I have, which is rare enough in and of itself. All are loved and able to withstand repeat viewings.

I have like four CDs, all of which reside in the car for when I don’t feel like listening to NPR or commercials. Again, fairly rare but they are nice to have. πŸ™‚ My ipod ran out of battery over a year ago and I haven’t gotten around to charging it . . . music obviously isn’t a great love of mine.

Books: I mainly rely on the library for access, and only own hard to find/extreme favorites (most of my favorites are public domain, so it’s not a huge issue). Strangely enough, about half of those are former textbooks – nerd alert.

I’ve never had a game system.

lucy1965

*falls down*

The cables . . . so many cables . . . .

We wound up cleaning everything, and I carried a stack of coiled cables a foot high down to the basement with the DVD player. There were manuals and receipts for systems we don’t own any more.

I have, however, reached the point where I am too tired to worry about anything, so yay!

GardenGirl

I have about 60 music CDs, in their cases (I like the cases because I can easily see what I have). Mix of classical and other stuff.

I also have music on some ancient cassette tapes. I’ve gone through them once recently, and tossed a bunch & put others in the Donate pile. Still have a bunch left. At some point, I’ll need to go through those again, listen to them, and see what else can go away and/or what I might want to get on CD.

No iPod (or any other iThings) here, or any sort of MP3 player. No CD player in my car. When I listen to music in the house, either I use my boom box (a bit bulky but functional), or I stream classical music on the computer while I work.

During the past week, I went through all my record albums, which had been stored in a closet under the eaves (but not in the attic). The LPs fill two and a half of those old plastic milk-crates. I am planning to take almost all of them to a local store that buys & sells old records. Anything they don’t want will likely get donated.

I’m keeping a few albums because they’re not available on CD or I haven’t checked yet or they might not sound as good. Most of those are early music — Palestrina, Josquin DesPrez, John Taverner — but one of those albums is a recording of the jazz group Alive!. If you’ve ever heard Ida Cox singing “Wild Women Don’t Get the Blues,” you will know why you can pry that album out of my cold dead hands. πŸ˜€

I am left with the question of what to do with my ancient (30-year-old?) stereo (turntable, receiver, tape deck; all one piece w/2 speakers). It has also been stashed in a closet under the eaves for quite some time. Still works, as far as I know, but it’s a bit bulky. Not sure if I will keep it and haul it out to use again someday; sell/donate it and try to get my few remaining albums converted to CDs (by someone else); or invest in a compact turntable at some point. (Sort of in flux now because I’m still hoping to move house in a year.)

Odd experience, looking at my music collection: the sound-track of my life….
    (Anyone want Holly Near and Cris Williamson albums?) πŸ™‚

Still going through my books. Lots of them got donated last year. More are going away now. But I will have always some print books. (No e-reader thingie here yet, either.)

Oh. VHS tapes. I have a bunch of those, too (and a player), but the tapes will likely go away whenever I get around to dealing with them.

NYCPakRat

“Odd experience, looking at my music collection: the sound-track of my life….”

Yeah. That’s why I have a hard time parting with so much of my music.

GardenGirl

@NYCPakRat — Some of it *is* hard to let go of. I spent some time checking to see what’s available on CD if I really want to hear something again.

Even so, there are a few albums that I’m sure are also on CD that are still hard to part with. Talking Heads, for one, just because of the college memories. There’s something about the physical object…. There are a few albums I haven’t quite decided about yet. (Sweet Honey in the Rock’s “Good News” is another one.)

There’s some music I *can’t* listen to anymore. Anything that will make me so sad that I’ll dissolve into a puddle on the floor, has to go. That includes Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings. πŸ™

NYCPakRat

I have most of my and my brothers’ LPs. I bought a turntable that converts them for my laptop, but haven’t tried it yet. I’d still keep the vinyl. I actually miss those little skips and scratches, LOL! It seemed to add character somehow.

pkilmain

Okay, I’ve avoided the media issue up to now, and probably still will as it’s way down my list… but right now we have

* DVD’s maybe a dozen, most watched 2-3 times a year
    * VHS – wayyy too many, most programs we recorded off TV, you know, pre-DVR πŸ™‚
    * cassette tapes – a full drawer in our stereo cabinet, which haven’t been listened to for probably 2 years. We’ll get rid of any that we have the CD version, keep a few others of music, and of course the ones of my FIL telling stories. (I should get these put on CDs)
    * CDs – arghhh. A couple hundred I guess. I’ve put a few on my iPod, but many many remain. DH always has 6-8 in his truck, rotating them every week.

We have a full stereo system: turntable, amplifier, CD and tape players (separate), plus I have a mini-stereo that was in my office at work. Also, 2 flat-screen TVs and the aforementioned 13″ with built-in VHS.

I’m arguing with myself over whether to purchase an iPhone now that my phone company carries/services them. I currently have an iPod touch, which I would pass on to my sister, but still haven’t convinced myself. πŸ™‚ (and of course I have an iPad as well)

Xiro

@NYCPakRat

http://www.meritline.com/cd-dvd-510-holder-wallet-holders-black—p-39027.aspx

These are the cases I use, when it comes to cds it fits everything, I place the booklet in the front the back art in the back and it saves space.

TatiLie

When I moved from Brazil to Italy, I gave all my VHS and most of my CDs to close friends, keeping just my 24 favourites. In 9 years I’ve bough maybe 5 CDs. Some of them I’ve given to friends after realising that I didn’t liked them enough. The DVDs I have are enough to fit the tv rack shelf. I’m not buying any until I give some away.

PS: I keep my CDs without the jewel case. I get really upset with the amount of useful of space they occupy.

Swede

I now own:
    – 3 cassette tapes.
    – A bunch of LP’s (prob less than 20) that I still listen to ([i]mostly reggae).
    – my favourite cd’s (about 30-40
    ) in a box which is the perfect size for them.
    – one VHS tape (a documentary about my grandfather… need to find it on dvd![/i])
    – 4-5 DVD’s that I enjoy watching every now and then. Might declutter more but one is a documentary about my brother so that is a forever keeper.

I love music and have A LOT but the rest is all digital and I don’t regret it. πŸ™‚

lucy1965

Actual media (which I didn’t cover because I am a goof):

A Rubbermaid tub of audio cassettes, down in the Former Junk Room. I had hoped we would get through that before the end of last year — especially now that there’s nothing in the house that will play them any more — but hasn’t happened yet.

200 CDs, most of which belong to DH, ripped to the big hard drive with the physical media in plastic boxes in the cold storage

100 DVDs, 20 of which are Blu-ray

These are enormously reduced numbers, which will probably drop again when we get to a place with better Internet connectivity. We’re more often streaming/playing stored music through our phones, and have iPod Nanos that were gifts that are back in their original packaging. The PS3 was purchased for use primarily as a media server; Netflix/Amazon Instant Video has saved us a lot of money in DVD purchases.

NYCPakRat

Xiro: Do those cases hold CDs side by side? looks like you can put two in width.

bandicoot

swede, there are people who can transfer vhs stuff onto dvd via some kind of voodoo.

Xiro

@NYCPakRat – One in the front and one in the back, I quite like these cases and saving space is always a plus.

Swede

@bandicoot – yes, I’ve looked it up and the stuff you can buy yourself is VERY low quality… and the companies that do that are SUPER expensive in Sweden.

ETA: The price used to be about €3 per minute, but they have an offer now of €30 per tape. Woho! Thanks bandicoot for making me look it up again! πŸ˜€

L1ND4

All you need is to hook up your VCR to a recordable DVD player, you play the VCR, and you record onto the DVD.
    Ta-da.
    Simple!
    I’ve done it myself and did not notice any discernible drop in quality from the original VHS.

Swede

@L1ND4 – I freecycled my VCR to a single mom with 3 kids. So yeah… I don’t have one. I don’t have a DVD player either. Or a TV for that matter. So that’s not an option anymore. πŸ™‚

Joless

We passed on the VHS and all the tapes along time again, same with cassette tapes and mini-disks. We have maybe a couple of hundred CDs which are all in boxes at the moment after moving house and which I am slowly getting rid of my section but my GF wants to keep hers I think. W have ripped them all to iTunes so can still listen and now I mostly buy things digital. The world won’t stop for me if I can’t listen to X immediately but I have never been into music in a big way. We have maybe 50 DVDs, most of which I regret buying and are on my list for getting rid of ASAP. I want to go completely digital with streaming and so on, no physical media at all. No dusting and no shelves required!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.